Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 17, 2009 5:28 PM

Jan 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
well... what do you think?

I total saw the ending coming from a mile away. and then when the narrator said: "and hopefully we won't go down the same path again" implying that we won't blow our selves up again? wow i that that was so funny! i was just like, we total are! why bother taking a good/OK anime and trying to give the ending some meaning? wow...

but in the end i liked it. i want to compare it to kino's jurney, but that's on a completely different scale..
Mar 21, 2010 3:32 PM
Jan 2009
the narrator wasn't speaking about "us" per se...

but the "us" that will come from the genes that will be spread by the star seed.

except for the WTF factor created by the animation done in ep. 13 and 13, I enjoyed this series...

it had sad moments and anxious moments, but overall it was really positive...

and that's nice to watch every now and again.
Apr 17, 2010 6:24 PM
May 2009
I'm just wondering...does anyone know where to watch this (somewhere that's not megavideo?) It's impossible to find.
May 13, 2011 9:45 PM

Mar 2009
dury said:
except for the WTF factor created by the animation done in ep. 13 and 13, I enjoyed this series...

it had sad moments and anxious moments, but overall it was really positive...

and that's nice to watch every now and again.

I agree with this. The animation in eps. 13 and 23 was a bit off-putting, particularly in ep. 13. But, I think the story and characters completely off-set that problem, at least for me.

And, as you said, a nice, positive ending of sorts.

Overall, an 8/10 for me.
Jan 3, 2013 7:34 PM

Aug 2008
Overall liked this show, ending was meh was wondering when will honoka go super saiyan mode vs robots, they got too OP at end.
Jan 22, 2014 3:59 AM

Aug 2013
Well that was a nice ride. I like it a lot, enough to hold my attention for two days haha ^^ Not a lot of shows could do that.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Feb 21, 2014 8:53 PM

Nov 2011
Overall, it was alright but not something I'd remember for a long time. At least the finale made sense though and set them off on a new journey. Inb4 sequel

6/10.
Jun 16, 2014 3:05 PM

Oct 2010
Where's dat sequel?
Sep 6, 2016 12:57 AM

Jan 2010
I have a minor pet peeve of bringing up Evangelion, but...really? We're doing existentionalism? In monochrome no less? With a great entity from another world that's a culmination of Earth's existence? Okay.

Still, I can't believe that this anime came down to a totally-not-God disembodied being at the center of the Earth, a space fairy, a wolf armed with combat/healing tentacles, a race of dictatorial triclopses, a "defective" girl of the same race that's more powerful than any of them somehow, and whatever the hell Iks is all determining the fate of the world. I don't think this anime needed to have as many parts to it as it did, but I'm glad to see that it at least wrapped itself up well enough. I still have complaints and nitpicks including the lack of exploration, Paifu's character that didn't seem to add much to the show, Honoka's absurd mecha suits, the inclusion of superpowers, the Monster Troupe bit that didn't really lead to anything, the inconsistent tone, the complete abandonment of Honoka's assertive and charismatic attitude as the show went on, and that insistent narration that refuses to let the show speak for itself.

Oh, and the fact that Honoka solves most of the arcs by embracing the core character of those arcs. I wouldn't have noticed if the show itself didn't point that out. It just reminded me of Grenadier, which isn't a bad comparison, but it's just...odd.

That all aside, I still enjoyed The Third for what it managed to accomplish, so I can't fault it too much. I just really wanted to watch an adventure show with great scenery, fast comedy and bits of character development scattered throughout. Not every story needs to have the fate of the world hanging in the balance, and The Third could have done a lot more with a lot less.

But, I'm still surprised that The Third managed to wrap itself up in 2 episodes, and I'll take what I can get.
May 29, 2019 7:59 PM

Mar 2016
It's unbelievable to me that they stretched out the Rona Fauna shit so long only to give us this ending in 2 episodes. The show had some potential and interesting ways of telling its story (with Emporium at the center and the adventure occurring in intervals on the periphery) but ended up being pretty mediocre. If the series was more focused in the latter half, and these last episodes had actually included all of the characters that were frequently popping in and out of the story, it could have been better. Like the poster above me says, I'd have been happy just with a fun adventure story.

In retrospect, some stuff like the gene-collector fairy and wolf-god-thing that I initially accepted without too much criticism are pretty damn silly. I thought the characters were fun, and appreciated Honoka's more comic side and how she interacted with everyone even if Iks was one boring dude. I also thought that the PSP was criminally underutilized but I imagine the budget for hand-drawn mechanical combat wasn't very high, given the tank CG.

Honoka at the end there was basically making a case for a God, or at least a sacred center, and that's pretty interesting from a cultural development perspective (especially one emerging from the apocalypse). I don't know, having The Third irregularly and half-assedly presented as the 'bad guys' was pretty wonky when it seemed like they had mostly legitimate authority. So much so that they had to force a reason for Honoka to go against the taboo with Joey's arrest, which was super dumb.

Fila Marique best girl.
syncrogazerMay 29, 2019 8:05 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » The Third: Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo Episode 13 Discussion

Kylearan - May 11, 2011

6 by nhkam »»
Sep 19, 2023 10:11 AM

Poll: » The Third - Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo Episode 4 Discussion

Gipphe - Oct 1, 2009

2 by JKKH »»
Aug 24, 2023 10:10 PM

Poll: » The Third - Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo Episode 1 Discussion

Gipphe - Oct 1, 2009

7 by JKKH »»
Aug 23, 2023 7:46 PM

» where is the light novel ?

monadskies - Jan 8, 2023

3 by epidemia78 »»
Jan 9, 2023 3:09 AM

Poll: » The Third: Aoi Hitomi no Shoujo Episode 17 Discussion

Kylearan - May 11, 2011

2 by Rui_Rei »»
Dec 10, 2021 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.