3It was OK
11.7%
2Disliked it
1.7%
1Hated it
1.7%
Average 4.4
60 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 16, 2009 4:48 PM

Apr 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------

I give this episode a 5 because i liked the ending so much. Overall season 9/10... it had a really good story but was hard for me to adapt to the "mellow" was it was told.

edit: excited to know what ova is about.
Sep 16, 2009 9:33 PM

Apr 2009
Wonderful ending!!! I liked how they re~did the Op for this. I think the only thing in this anime that I didn't like was the role of the elder turtle. otherwise great anime.
Sep 16, 2009 11:16 PM

Apr 2008
noticed and what i liked most is that the comedy wasn't forced in the season... the lil parts made me laugh, esp how kanon got embarssed in the end
Sep 24, 2009 4:53 PM

Apr 2009
this is that rare anime that I would say it wasn't bad or good. It kinda leaves me in a limbo. Maybe the ova will give the kick it needs to help me decide how to rate this.
I am the light and the darkness tossed away by fate.
I am hope and despair needed by all and to none.
I am CuresDestiny.
Fear me or Not it is all the same to me.
<insert maniacal laughter here>

Sep 24, 2009 6:05 PM

Feb 2008
not sure how to feel about this episode. the ending seemed a bit too basic and conventional. I suppose an ending like that fits the whole premise of the story but meh. It was fun to watch but it isn't above a seven.
Sep 24, 2009 7:59 PM

Apr 2009
Ahh, Urin aishiteruuu~
Kanon confessed to Kojima! I am complete.
I liked this anime a lot. :)
Sep 24, 2009 8:14 PM

Jun 2007
wasn't the type of bitter sweet ending I was looking for but it was close enough :D. This series' story was very basic but for some reason I enjoyed it. I guess maybe it was the whole ending half that did it for me.
Sep 24, 2009 9:34 PM

Apr 2008
OH geeze, even though i watched it a week ago my language is intermediate

can't believe i missed this part

i wonder if HUGE clue to OVA

lol
Sep 24, 2009 11:28 PM

Mar 2008
daniking79 said:
Wonderful ending!!! I liked how they re~did the Op for this. I think the only thing in this anime that I didn't like was the role of the elder turtle. otherwise great anime.

Yeah I really liked what they did with the OP for the final episode.

Really why does anyone listen to that turtle? He had no clue about the truth behind Sedna and if they had done it his way they would have taken out their friends and sealed Urin away with Sedna. I say tradition and rules were what caused all this trouble.

Anyways overall I enjoyed the show. Had some laughs and the characters were pretty likable.
Sep 25, 2009 1:05 AM

Sep 2008
I LOVE the special OP, it really did fit with the original name of the song which was 'violet'
Sep 25, 2009 6:58 AM

Sep 2007
Really beautiful OP... :)
Sep 25, 2009 8:08 AM

Oct 2007
Now that is one kickass "HUG" that can save the world.

"A Legend is but a tale of a beautiful lie."
Sep 25, 2009 10:47 AM

Oct 2007
Ending made me so sad ;__;
Sep 25, 2009 10:50 AM

May 2009
Bit of a bittersweet ending, but I liked it nonetheless. It kinda fits the premise that the two sides weren't originally meant to meet at all.

I too liked the remade OP sequence, it really DID give the song more meaning.

Also liked how they still kept a small piece of the humor in it (the turtle calling Kanon evil, Urin's embarrassed look when she gave the ring back, Kanon confessing to Kojima).

Nice ending to a good show.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 25, 2009 11:09 AM
Oct 2007
Loved it. The ending gave the show closure while not going over-the-top. Considering the mellow atmosphere throughout the entire 12 episodes, the ending was fitting. No dramatic action sequence needed.

Music and animation are 10/10 and 9/10 respectively. I only enjoyed about 3-4 episodes out of 12 though, particularly the last 2, so 7/10 overall.

Also, Kanon's confession made my day. Kawaii, moe, whatever, lucky Kojima.

Their next task is to "merge" the sea and sky so Kanon can visit Marin whenever she wants, lol. OVA serves that purpose, probably.
Sep 25, 2009 4:14 PM

Oct 2008
Overall for me it was a 7, i cant say i particularly enjoyed it but at least the ending was conclusive enough
Sep 25, 2009 4:26 PM

Dec 2008
I kinda liked the ending. If they wanted to, they could have gone for something a little more sad like Urin disappearing or something like that and would like that to (not that I want Urin to disappear). Not sure what to rate this show. 7 or maybe 8...depends how this show was compared to other shows I gave a similar score.
Sep 25, 2009 4:52 PM

Feb 2009
Appropriate ending for this show.

For a moment I really thought they weregonna give us the sad ending with Urin disappearing completely, that would have been great as it would have been really sad (especially if you'r a dark Urin fan like me) but I'm glad it finished this way too.

My thoughts about this show are mixed. It started off as a cute and fluffy slice of life comedy and turned into some kind of drama, but it didn't bother me that much though I still prefer by far the first half. I'm gonna give it a 5 just to be fair, but this is the best guilty pleasure this season (Fall 2009 hasn't really started yet) and as a weekly cup of moeness I liked it.
Sep 25, 2009 5:56 PM

Jul 2008
Really liked the show, this last episode was real sad at some point.
Sep 25, 2009 5:58 PM

Jun 2008
I didn't expect to like this show so much. Loved the ending <3

7/10
Sep 25, 2009 6:02 PM

Aug 2008
Since Urin didn't out right apologize, and it was just a hug that saved the day, I just could like the ending even thought I thought everything else went exceptionally well, so just an ok episode for me.

I liked a little less than half of the season, the music was exceptional, and the sd characters/comedy was nice. But since I felt the show strayed for a while, had tremendous pacing issues, Urin is a terrible character, and Marin spent the last half-three quarters of the show crying, I can only give it a 5/10. I did bump it up a point for the overall well done ending though.
Sep 26, 2009 6:49 AM

Nov 2008
Love the ending, it was so sad when they were separated, yet it was so sweet when Kanon confessed to Kojima :3
Sep 26, 2009 2:49 PM

Aug 2007
4/5, I liked the previous episode better. All with all, UmiMono actually turned out to be a fine anime, especially the latter half. 7/10, mostly because of the animation and music. It was really nice how the OP animation was different this episode.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Sep 26, 2009 5:56 PM

Sep 2008
Kanon's confession to Marin was far more passionate than the one with Kojima. Let Kojima have that other chick while Kannon gets yuri ending.
Sep 30, 2009 2:04 PM

Mar 2008
Great episode, beautiful scenes, really moving. The ending is a bit sad, at least i expected they would continue to meet from time to time... But Kanon's confession was really funny ^^

Even if the story was quite classic, i give it a 8/10. Beautiful art and songs were definitely a plus.
Oct 2, 2009 12:29 PM

Jun 2009
I liked this show better than I thought I would, ending feets really well in it. 8/10
Oct 25, 2009 12:30 AM

Jan 2009
So, after watching the last 4 episodes in a row, without internet (as with 07-Ghost last night), and really late, since I've had.. stuff to do xD.

Anywho, eps 9-11, only things I really remember:
ep 9: Kanon and Marin's visit to Suzuki, that was.. actually really fun : > Then when Ooshima rises up behind the rock.. and hits her head xD
ep 10: All the darkness spreading out in the sea, it had a certain impact, seeing it dye the sea red, and somehow it feels like it's worse than if it had been blood.
ep 11: Elder Turtle (whatever-his-name) fighting! He's cool x)
ep 12: Final Battle? No, we won't get one of those. Although I have to say the way they made this ending, was actually quite good. So if you combine Good vs. Evil, a.k.a. Light vs. Darkness, and then make it so that the Darkness isn't really that Evil after all, and make the 'final battle' be something more of an emotional speech..
Apparantly it works, huh?^^,

Anyways, in the beginning, like, first 4 episodes, I though this could actually become a great show, but then I suddenly lost interest about half-ways through, and it dropped down from 8 to 6, but after this ending.... I think a 7 seems reasonable.
OosranMar 6, 2010 9:05 AM
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Nov 7, 2009 6:11 AM
Jul 2008
Haha i love the part where kanon confess and get embarssed while her friend looking at her. :D
Jan 8, 2010 4:27 AM
Jul 2018
I was kinda disappointed by this show. It had so much potential that just never came out IMO!

It was saved by the animation though, which has to be the best I've seen to date. Overall a 7.5/10
Mar 6, 2010 8:58 AM

Jan 2009
Oh. So I'm not the only one who thought that it'd be cool if Kanon let Ooshima have that guy (someone above said something similar).

Well, it would've made Kanon more badass, in a way, if she had let Ooshima with the guy (I can't remember his name, and I just finished the series like 2 hours ago <_<). But with the whole memory-loss thing, it might not have been as cool as I thought.

The series was a little disappointing itself, but I liked about up until the scene where Kanon and Marin had to split for this last episode. Yay hugging and stuff. The ending, and a lot of the series, was pretty cliche, I think, but oh well. It's good to refresh yourself on cliches once in a while I guess.

I gave it a 8/10, but I'll probably do 7/10, now that I think about it.

Some of the animation in this show was great, and the music was awesome too. Perhaps it's just the story.
IaMP with me.
Mar 15, 2010 1:53 PM

Sep 2008
I liked it - thought the ending gave the series the closure it deserved. Yes, it did seem like a bit of a "basic" ending... No special twists or anything, but that's fine. I liked the way it ended. I don't think any loose threads were left hanging so it's all good.

Looooved the music in this series. The animation was also very aesthetically pleasing, especially in this episode. :D
Apr 22, 2010 10:03 PM

Sep 2008
Darn it, where is my Bad End? I wanted Marin to turn bad since she's such a traitor to her own sister. It made me happy that Kanon can't meet her anymore though. <3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Nov 16, 2010 7:05 AM

Mar 2010
am i the only one who things its irritating how marin an urin keep crying the whole time bout how much they love each other?
dude its enough already, i dont wanna see that every ep..
6/10 is the highest i'd give this anime and thats mostly cuz i like kanon so much
Feb 1, 2011 11:07 AM

Jun 2010
detectiveyoshi said:
am i the only one who things its irritating how marin an urin keep crying the whole time bout how much they love each other?
dude its enough already, i dont wanna see that every ep..
6/10 is the highest i'd give this anime and thats mostly cuz i like kanon so much

It was really annoying how they keep repeating their love and so on. Especially that 'Urin, Urin, Urin, Uuuuriiiiiiin' crap made me wanna slap Marin's face and beg her to stop..

And about the ending. 1/5 is my vote. I totally hated it. Too simple, god damned! They were just crying and telling how they love each other. I wanted Urin to die, because Sedna and the others were always saying that her heart will be swallowed by darkness. Even Urin's death would have been very sad; I think it should happen anyway. Even I liked her a little bit. It's also annoying how Kanon and Marin didn't mind that they lost a good friend. Well, if one old turtle would say to me that I can not see my dear friend anymore because it's the rule (even no one haven't hear about it), I would just ignore that turtle and keep my happy ending. :P

6/10 for this anime. Didn't like it much cuz it was too simple and predictale.
Mar 3, 2011 3:47 PM

Jan 2008
I'm usually not a sucker for endings like this, but to think that they'd (probably) never meet again was truly saddening. =(

Ending was bit...average, it's not like we all didn't expect that and I think the show had some ups and downs. Overall, Kanon was a great main character and I believe the light-darkness thing was pulled off quite decently.
I think the highlight was the music though. =) It was really soothing and harmonic during the episodes and the ED was beautiful.

7/10 from me as well. =)

Mar 10, 2011 1:38 PM

Oct 2009
Well the first half of the show was actually really nice but then it started going down hill...the whole thing was turned around because of some spoiled brat >.>

I have to agree with both noteDhero and detectiveyoshi.

I was rather disappointed :|

As for the ending it was pretty bittersweet and KanonXMarin is much better IMO ^.^

6/10
Oct 18, 2011 2:08 AM

Nov 2007
Love! :DD Art, Superb!

~ Kanon confessed to Kojima,yatta!!!! :DD
8/10
Nov 30, 2011 4:20 PM

Dec 2010
Marin was too pure and simple minded for my liking, but I'm glad Kanon was a really cool main character girl. If it weren't for Kanon I would lower this anime by quite a lot, 8/10.
Sep 15, 2012 3:45 AM

Aug 2010
cute ending the confessions was really funny XD but i don't get why her classmates are interested in it...
Jan 18, 2014 5:39 PM

Jan 2010
I can't believe I forgot about the Hans Christian Andersen Little Mermaid story, especially with the ending theme at every episode. It makes sense for this show to be so dreary, despite the general atmosphere. I dunno though, this whole show has been a weird ride. Consistency, clashing comedic/calm/dramatic moments, unreasonable actions, gratuitous ass shots...Geez. Still, I think the biggest problem with this show was that it tried to do too much. It had too many elements in it that all collapsed within itself, but, well, I guess it ended fine.
May 24, 2015 11:14 AM

Oct 2012
Lovely Ending, great way to finish it off

Jul 4, 2015 1:13 AM

Feb 2014
This is why I don't drop any anime. At first I thought "what is this boring shit that looks like a little mermaid rip-off" during the first episode. The 2nd and 3rd episodes tried to be funny but fell flat on their face with every joke. Then it started getting interesting when the plot kicked in, instead of the show being just a bunch of girls dicking around on a beach. And finally, just when I thought it was going to end with a cliched good guys defeating the big bad evil and everyone live happily ever after, the twist happened which revealed that Sedona was nothing more than a collection all the sorrows that everyone were running away from instead of facing and overcoming them. The turtle could have used more development, though. He was also pretty much useless the whole time and taught the girls new things only after things got worse. But all in all it's a 7.5 for me.
Aug 11, 2015 5:48 AM

Nov 2008
I enjoyed the progress generally - this was an anime I meant to finish ages ago but just forgot about. Honestly the only thing about the ending the really bugged me was "Well its the tradition cant meet" ... but youve been hypocritically breaking that rule for an entire summer .. who is the turtle to enforce the rule hes been blatantly breaking .. I was like 'uhh wah?' I would have just said thanks but no thanks ill hang out with my friend. It has nothing to do with where shes from. That aspect sort of annoyed me - felt they sort of gave up and just used the "just because" weak cliche.
Feb 28, 2016 6:45 PM

Feb 2014
I'm super glad that nobody ended up dying. Although Kanon and Marin not being able to see each other again was pretty sad.

I was going to be really upset if Urin did, in fact, have to die. The part where her body was darkening and both she and Marin were crying and saying: "I love you! I don't want to leave you!" Was SO SAD D'''''''':

The new OP was a really nice touch, it really added to that whole feeling of sorrow, emptiness, and darkness. Showing the usual backgrounds without any characters in them was a real eye-opener.

I liked this anime, so I'd give it a 7-9/10. Normally I rate primarily based on enjoyment, but I might bump this score up a bit because of how well it was all done. The characters were very well done (although Marin's positivity was annoying a few times), and I felt like they went through well-done character development (especially Marin and Kanon) as the show progressed. The slow pacing was overall not too big of a problem, although it occasionally led to slight boredom. Despite this, the anime felt very unique and refreshing. Every major issue was wrapped up at the end (except who was that singing lady???), and Sedona was a very unique enemy that gave the show an insightful message. I've heard a few complaints about the relaxing music not always fitting the mood of specific scenes, but I think that the soundtrack fit very well. And, of course, it was a magical girl show (albeit not being super saturated with magical girl stuff), and I would in no way hesitate to call it a good one at that. This definitely gets my recommendation!
Jan 6, 2021 4:15 PM
ᴛʜʀᴇᴀᴅ★ʀᴇᴀᴘᴇʀ

Dec 2018
At long last, after several attempts of forgetting to finish and picking it back up... I have finally finished watching it.

Lots of things to like in this last episode. I like Urin's new evil, grown-up transformation and her beautiful new wings, I liked Marin and Urin giving each other a long-deserved hug as they express that they don't want to say goodbye even if this kind of thing is pretty clichéd in my opinion, I liked the ending even if it was sad to see Kanon and Marin seperating for good, and I loved the opening in this episode—it was changed to one of a night sky and reflecting how dark the whole place has gotten, and to match that change, the vocals sound a bit more powerful and maybe even sorrowful and the only instrument here for the melody is the guitar. Very nice.

All right, time for the final verdict.
The earlier episodes were personally more enjoyable than the rest of the show, and though I enjoyed the more iyashikei approach to the show, I really wish this show had more of the exciting sakuga fights during some of the earlier episodes and the second-to-last episode as it was interesting to watch with the battle music only being some fast-paced piano. It's still a show I'd recommend though even with these sentiments. I don't see how some people called this and Uta∽Kata the exact same show, as this felt more like a slower-paced sea-themed Prétear to me, but I can see some similarities that made these people feel that way and at least this show was another good anime from Junichi Sato.

Will give the 13th episode/OVA sequel a watch soon, but for now, Umi Monogatari gets a 7/10 6/10 from me.
edit: thought about it for a good long time and decided to lower my initial rating. this show was decent and i definitely still recommend watching it, but it honestly doesn't feel as special as other shows i rated a 7 or 8. i wanted to like marin and urin but their cuteness kinda wore off over time, and the emphasis on darkness darkness light dark heart dark memories light dark friendship darkness is seriously Kingdom Hearts-level of annoying. definitely not a 5 cuz the show did give me some laughs and smiles, and the sakuga in a few episodes looks amazing and made whatever few battle scenes in this show extremely enjoyable to watch.

✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶ ⋆ ✶

sirwence said:
I enjoyed the progress generally - this was an anime I meant to finish ages ago but just forgot about. Honestly the only thing about the ending the really bugged me was "Well its the tradition cant meet" ... but youve been hypocritically breaking that rule for an entire summer .. who is the turtle to enforce the rule hes been blatantly breaking .. I was like 'uhh wah?' I would have just said thanks but no thanks ill hang out with my friend. It has nothing to do with where shes from. That aspect sort of annoyed me - felt they sort of gave up and just used the "just because" weak cliche.

Agreed, tried to finish this one a long time ago but always forgot somehow. I was a bit disappointed by that rule too.
Fario-PJan 18, 2021 11:37 PM
Apr 25, 2021 10:36 PM

Dec 2012
I was a bit on the fence on how to feel until these last two episodes. The truth behind Sedna and the way it tied into this seaside town's lore was quite poetic. It captures that notion that the darkness in our hearts is normal and while it shouldn't rule us, it also shouldn't be cast aside and forgotten. The parting between Kanon & Marin felt somewhat abrupt (curse that turtle and his "rules"), but I can accept it considering how Kanon was finally able to convey her truest feelings to her dearest friend (and boyfriend). It's also hopeful to see there's a sequel episode considering the path forward it left us with.

7/10, I actually preferred the quieter moments over the battle with Sedna as they reminded me of Satou Junichi's other works.

More topics from this board

» Anybody Remember this anime

Traxillia - Mar 10

1 by Sekiro94 »»
Mar 10, 4:52 AM

Poll: » Umi Monogatari ~Anata ga Itekureta Koto~ Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 )

ShanaFlame - Jul 1, 2009

73 by demision »»
Aug 5, 2022 11:24 PM

Poll: » Umi Monogatari ~ Anata ga Itekureta Koto Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 )

dbaranyi - Jun 24, 2009

88 by Zekkenshin »»
Apr 15, 2021 2:00 AM

Poll: » Umi Monogatari ~Anata ga Itekureta Koto~ Episode 11 Discussion

daniking79 - Sep 9, 2009

14 by Fario-P »»
Jan 6, 2021 3:36 PM

Poll: » Umi Monogatari ~Anata ga Itekureta Koto~ Episode 10 Discussion

daniking79 - Sep 2, 2009

18 by Fario-P »»
Jan 6, 2021 3:02 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.