Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Ping Pong The Animation Episode 4 Discussion


May 2, 2014 4:46 PM
Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7
tommy73 said:
Hmm? How well is it doing? Just curious, since I'm worried about the sales too.


6 hours ago's data( i just quote those>3000 here) :
rank / predicted_pt /accumulated_pt / name
1 / 44658 / 23328 / Love Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ← King's line
2 / 11531 / 2643 / Haikyuu
3 / 10919 / 1160 / Mushishi
--------------------------------------------------------------------- ← best seller line
4 / 7063 / 2111 / Mahouka
5 / 5813 / 420 / Ping pong
6 / 5643 / 1280 / Kamigami
--------------------------------------------------------------------- ←necessary for 2nd season line
7 / 4781 / 1528 / Usagi
8 / 4631 / 2052 / Knights of Sidonia
9 / 3931 / 898 / Captain Earth
10 / 3813 / 2401 / Date Alive
11 / 3364 / 1112 / Kenzen Robert
12 / 3097 / 989 / Mekakucity actors
13 / 3075 / 965 / no game no life
------------------------------------------------------------------------ ← Budget line

and here are some explanations and my comments....
1. the beginnings of selling of different animation series are not at the same day...And till now (only?)JoJo has not come to sell ( I guess it could rank in the 2nd place → 20000~ 30000);

2. Love live is a bug wwwwwww → personally I don't like this kind of culture of adoring idols.

3. Some BD/DVDs are sold with special things. For example, the opportunity to get free tickets to some related events ( like voice actors'....parties). These series contain Haikyuu, Captain earth, Kamigami and so on.

4. The predicted pts are just predictions that accumulated until the release day. The nearer to the really release day, the more accurate the prediction will be.

5. As ping pong's release day is 27th Aug. It is really far away =.=!!! And it's being sold as completed box =.=!!!

6.The ranks could change every single day, but it won't change too much day from day....
Modified by Hisomi, May 2, 2014 5:30 PM
 
May 2, 2014 5:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 953
Peco vs. Akuma and Wenge vs. Kazama made me feel anxious. It was like I was playing the match myself. The dragon symbolism was interesting. I didn't expect Wenge to lose to be honest, but this opens the door for further development to his character
 
May 2, 2014 5:26 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 940
TravSavage said:
This is seriously really good.

 
May 2, 2014 8:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 19717
I just realised something, when/if Smile versus Kazama I'll finally have an answer to "What would happen if a robot fought a dragon?" Unless Smile is channeling the superhero by then.
 
May 2, 2014 8:30 PM
Online
Joined: Jan 2009
Posts: 44401
Hisomi said:
tommy73 said:
Hmm? How well is it doing? Just curious, since I'm worried about the sales too.


6 hours ago's data( i just quote those>3000 here) :
rank / predicted_pt /accumulated_pt / name
1 / 44658 / 23328 / Love Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ← King's line
2 / 11531 / 2643 / Haikyuu
3 / 10919 / 1160 / Mushishi
--------------------------------------------------------------------- ← best seller line
4 / 7063 / 2111 / Mahouka
5 / 5813 / 420 / Ping pong
6 / 5643 / 1280 / Kamigami
--------------------------------------------------------------------- ←necessary for 2nd season line
7 / 4781 / 1528 / Usagi
8 / 4631 / 2052 / Knights of Sidonia
9 / 3931 / 898 / Captain Earth
10 / 3813 / 2401 / Date Alive
11 / 3364 / 1112 / Kenzen Robert
12 / 3097 / 989 / Mekakucity actors
13 / 3075 / 965 / no game no life
------------------------------------------------------------------------ ← Budget line

and here are some explanations and my comments....
1. the beginnings of selling of different animation series are not at the same day...And till now (only?)JoJo has not come to sell ( I guess it could rank in the 2nd place → 20000~ 30000);

2. Love live is a bug wwwwwww → personally I don't like this kind of culture of adoring idols.

3. Some BD/DVDs are sold with special things. For example, the opportunity to get free tickets to some related events ( like voice actors'....parties). These series contain Haikyuu, Captain earth, Kamigami and so on.

4. The predicted pts are just predictions that accumulated until the release day. The nearer to the really release day, the more accurate the prediction will be.

5. As ping pong's release day is 27th Aug. It is really far away =.=!!! And it's being sold as completed box =.=!!!

6.The ranks could change every single day, but it won't change too much day from day....


i hope it the sales goes up more and not go down, we need more anime like this

5K sales is awesome since the manabi line is only 2500 disc sales
 
May 2, 2014 9:28 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2387
IntroverTurtle said:
Kitoge said:
So basically, Smile lost for no reason
I don't know what you're talking about, he lost for a reason. He gave up because he knew how important it was to Wenge.

But Wenge lost though so in the end, Smile lost for no reason.
 
May 2, 2014 9:33 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 19717
Kitoge said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Kitoge said:
So basically, Smile lost for no reason
I don't know what you're talking about, he lost for a reason. He gave up because he knew how important it was to Wenge.

But Wenge lost though so in the end, Smile lost for no reason.

Smile didn't want to crush his dream, being a nice guy and not really into ping pong. He gave him a chance to go against someone who's actually aiming for the top.
 
May 2, 2014 9:39 PM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2387
ReaperCreeper said:
Kitoge said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Kitoge said:
So basically, Smile lost for no reason
I don't know what you're talking about, he lost for a reason. He gave up because he knew how important it was to Wenge.

But Wenge lost though so in the end, Smile lost for no reason.

Smile didn't want to crush his dream, being a nice guy and not really into ping pong. He gave him a chance to go against someone who's actually aiming for the top.

Yea but then Wenge loses in the end so there was no point to Smile's intentional loss; maybe there will be a big development between the two but Smile's sympathy has no reasoning anymore
 
May 2, 2014 9:45 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 17381
Based Yuasa delivers.
 
May 2, 2014 9:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 19717
Kitoge said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Kitoge said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Kitoge said:
So basically, Smile lost for no reason
I don't know what you're talking about, he lost for a reason. He gave up because he knew how important it was to Wenge.

But Wenge lost though so in the end, Smile lost for no reason.

Smile didn't want to crush his dream, being a nice guy and not really into ping pong. He gave him a chance to go against someone who's actually aiming for the top.

Yea but then Wenge loses in the end so there was no point to Smile's intentional loss; maybe there will be a big development between the two but Smile's sympathy has no reasoning anymore

That's pretty much the point, just because Smile will let his opponent win doesn't mean others will.
 
May 2, 2014 10:16 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2008
Posts: 24258
Ping Pong doesn't let up. I wonder what direction we're headed. The usual rematch at the next tourney? Perhaps something weirder.
 
May 3, 2014 4:36 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1998
00:21 surappu!

01:51 ohhh yehhhh

05:09 I bet Peko'd lose

11:06 dat hentai

11:52 agreed

16:27 Sea King domination

18:46 wow

7/10 for this episode.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
 
May 3, 2014 6:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 2387
ReaperCreeper said:
Kitoge said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Kitoge said:
IntroverTurtle said:
Kitoge said:
So basically, Smile lost for no reason
I don't know what you're talking about, he lost for a reason. He gave up because he knew how important it was to Wenge.

But Wenge lost though so in the end, Smile lost for no reason.

Smile didn't want to crush his dream, being a nice guy and not really into ping pong. He gave him a chance to go against someone who's actually aiming for the top.

Yea but then Wenge loses in the end so there was no point to Smile's intentional loss; maybe there will be a big development between the two but Smile's sympathy has no reasoning anymore

That's pretty much the point, just because Smile will let his opponent win doesn't mean others will.

Yea, it shows the will of everyone; if only Smile had such will, well that was what part of the episode highlighted
 
May 3, 2014 7:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24368
Ah, damn. The streak of good episodes was broken. Did they run out of budget already? the art and animation are considerably worse in this episode. Pico's match was just terrible and stupid. 3/5
 
May 3, 2014 8:20 AM
Offline
Joined: Oct 2012
Posts: 6650
Kitoge said:
Yea but then Wenge loses in the end so there was no point to Smile's intentional loss; maybe there will be a big development between the two but Smile's sympathy has no reasoning anymore


Smile didn't lose the match so that Wenge could win the tournament. Smile did not "sacrifice" anything.

Had Smile wanted to win the tournament, then maybe it would have been a sacrifice. But Smile did not care about the tournament. Once he knew he could beat Wenge (and Wenge knew this as well), Smile lost all interest in the game and since it meant more to Wenge to win than it did to Smile, Smile had no problem letting Wenge win.

In short he didn't lose so Wenge could win, he lost so he wouldn't be the one who beat Wenge. That was his goal.
 
May 3, 2014 9:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 11409
Feel bad for Wenge.

Wonder where the anime will go from here.
 
May 3, 2014 10:00 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 619
i saw lightning and dragons...

looking forward to the next one :)
 
May 3, 2014 1:53 PM
Offline
Joined: Aug 2012
Posts: 20
-I loved the flashback of Peco protecting Smile from Akuma.

-Smile really is a sharp tongued bastard.

-Tamura and Butterfly Joe go way back, I hope we get to see some of their backstory eventually.

- Akuma to Peco: "Times are changing". Foreshadowing that Peco's view of the world is about to change. Smile is no longer that kid that can't stand up for himself, Peco is no longer the instinctually talented Ping Pong Player that can mow over all his foes.

A little later in the match Peco says to Akuma "Let's play speed, like we did in the old days". Peco is just as stuck in his mindset as Smile seemingly was. But at least Smile HAS changed.

- Akuma gets Peco tired. Remember all those practices that Peco cut so he could hustle the other kids at the ping pong hall? Those practices were largely stamina based.

- During China vs Dragons match we get a glimpse of the ghetto that Kong comes from. For him Ping Pong is something that lead him to a good life instead of living in abject poverty.

- The animation and stylistic choices during China vs Dragons match was amazing.

- I wonder who that shadowy figure with the mask, trench coat, and hat is. They seem to be related to Dragon in some shape or form.

- "Ryuichi and Yuria are cousins"


Great episode. Can't wait for next weeks.
 
May 3, 2014 4:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 539
I'm loving Wenge's relationship with his coach, it says so much without huge gestures. A single smirk between the two was suffice.
“Suppose, gentlemen, that man is not stupid.”
 
May 3, 2014 6:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 4245
The talk between Wenga and his coach was really touching. The way his coach smiled him during the match too, it was like he was telling him : ''You did your best''.

It was a bit obvious that Peko would lose, he surestimate himself way too much.

Damn, that Kaio college sure is one hell of an high-tech place. Such crazy measure for a sport always astonish me. They are really waging their life on a sport.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
 
May 4, 2014 1:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Oct 2013
Posts: 231
Kazama with the wreckage. Kaio seems like a ping pong resort facility o_O
 
May 4, 2014 7:33 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 7
could I update the data of sales here?

( I just quote those>3000 here) :
rank / predicted_pt /accumulated_pt / name
1 / 46551 / 24384 / Love Live
-------------------------------------------------------------------- ← King's line
2 / 12124 / 2832/ Haikyuu
--------------------------------------------------------------------- ← best seller line
3 / 9783 / 1336 / Mushishi
4 / 7499 / 2230 / Mahouka
5 / 6291 / 1415 / Kamigami
6 / 5018 / 2346 / Knights of Sidonia
--------------------------------------------------------------------- ←necessary for 2nd season line
7 / 4781 / 1528 / Usagi
8 / 4306 / 463 / Ping pong
9 / 4159 / 955 / Captain Earth
10 / 4015 / 2474 / Date Alive
11 / 3262/ 1157 / Kenzen Robert
12 / 3152 / 1066 / Mekakucity actors
13 / 2932 / 1030 / no game no life
------------------------------------------------------------------------ ← Budget line

1. Ping Pong!!! I am really worried about it. I hope the next episode will have some highlights.
2. Mushishi also lost hundreds of predicted points. It's no more above the best seller line.
3. No game no life has 2932 points which < 3000 points, but since it seems this one is quite popular in this forum......
 
May 4, 2014 12:12 PM

Online
Joined: Jun 2010
Posts: 251
A few new scenes this time, which is interesting. I assume that Yurie is going to have some significance in the upcoming episodes, but I have no idea what. The extra back story during Wenge's conversation with his coach was really touching. I think that scene might be one of my favorites, along with the guy that Smile beat last episode going to the sea. I guess I like the softer, quieter parts more.

I like that Yuasa showed some restraint in the stylization of the ping pong matches until the Kong-Kazama match. It really shows how much of a dominant force Kazama is, especially compared to the others around him, like Akuma and Peco. He's just in a completely different league. The tediousness of Akuma and Peco's game just shows how mundane of a player Akuma really is. I'm looking forward to his part when it gets animated.

Also, I wanted to clarify a little bit after reading some of the comments in the thread. Smile lost on purpose to Wenge because he doesn't see ping pong as a significant factor in his life, unlike Wenge, who is fighting for his life to get back to playing ping pong in China. Even though he knows that Wenge is pretty much guaranteed to lose against Kazama, he still doesn't want to be the one that effectively ruins Wenge's ping pong career which he spent so much effort on.
 
May 4, 2014 12:18 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 99
tsudecimo said:
Ah, damn. The streak of good episodes was broken. Did they run out of budget already? the art and animation are considerably worse in this episode. Pico's match was just terrible and stupid. 3/5


Boku no Peco

I thought the art and animation were fine. Peco's match was the way it was because his opponent was countering his play style and wearing him out.
 
May 5, 2014 12:07 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 1759
Feel bad for Wenge :(
 
May 5, 2014 1:20 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2011
Posts: 31706
great episode, possibly my favorite one yet, that scene about china and his mom really stood out to me.

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

 
May 6, 2014 12:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24368
Jomei said:
tsudecimo said:
Ah, damn. The streak of good episodes was broken. Did they run out of budget already? the art and animation are considerably worse in this episode. Pico's match was just terrible and stupid. 3/5


Boku no Peco

I thought the art and animation were fine. Peco's match was the way it was because his opponent was countering his play style and wearing him out.

Oh right lol.

But they were significantly worse the previous episodes with many stills. What I thought was stupid, was how Peco didn't attempt to simply hit a slow shot (probably have a name for it) to land close to the net, so his opponent can't reach it. Instead he continues to hit those hard long shots, despite his opponent being perfectly positioned to return them.

I don't know the episode as a whole was just no as good as the previous episodes in terms of almost everything imo. I expected China and Peco to lose but something about the execution was somewhat off.
 
May 7, 2014 12:10 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 51
tsudecimo said:
Jomei said:
tsudecimo said:
Ah, damn. The streak of good episodes was broken. Did they run out of budget already? the art and animation are considerably worse in this episode. Pico's match was just terrible and stupid. 3/5


Boku no Peco

I thought the art and animation were fine. Peco's match was the way it was because his opponent was countering his play style and wearing him out.

Oh right lol.

But they were significantly worse the previous episodes with many stills. What I thought was stupid, was how Peco didn't attempt to simply hit a slow shot (probably have a name for it) to land close to the net, so his opponent can't reach it. Instead he continues to hit those hard long shots, despite his opponent being perfectly positioned to return them.

I don't know the episode as a whole was just no as good as the previous episodes in terms of almost everything imo. I expected China and Peco to lose but something about the execution was somewhat off.

Not as easy as you think.
http://youtu.be/KpllAjxOIUU?t=3m8s
some pros in the same situation
 
May 7, 2014 12:13 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24368
lichtjahre said:

Not as easy as you think.
http://youtu.be/KpllAjxOIUU?t=3m8s
some pros in the same situation

Thanks for the video. I'm wrong then.

But why don't he hit a slow ball instead? is it really hard?
 
May 7, 2014 1:57 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 8


Adding onto this discussion with the limited knowledge I got from looking up Ping-Pong on Wikipedia, I'd say it is a hard thing to do.

The ball being thrown to Peco was always being lobbed. So that the ball was coming in rather slow to begin with, it was also spinning like crazy. Generally, when faced with someone who is constantly spamming lobs, a more offensive player would try to keep up the pressure and cause him to slip. Lobbing in itself is a really tricky thing to do cause if you mess up you cause yourself a point. Not to mention lobbing is a defensive play, so why would you go on the defensive of someone being defensive?

Lobbing worked as a good story mechanic for Peco too. His playstyle is really offensive, unrefined. He's kind of like Mike Tyson in that he plays hard and plays quickly. He can hit hard but probably can't stay for a long time.

Lobbing worked so well against Peco because Akuma knew how to psychologically beat Peco. Most of Peco's opponents lost because Peco was intimidated and put a lot of pressure quickly. He's great at offensive and not much else. Akuma beat him by wearing him out and forcing Peco's moves to be sloppy.

It would be hard for Peco to return a slow ball because he is an offensive player. Peco is good at putting alot of pressure right from the get go. And because Peco lost in such a way tore him to pieces.

Most of what I'm saying is probably conjecture because I know ziltch about Ping-Pong as an actual sport but my general rule of thumb is that 'if I can't do it myself I shouldn't be talking'.
 
May 7, 2014 2:01 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 229
Awesome. Didn't expect Ping Pong to become one of my favorites this season, but it sure has.
Unique animation is epic, can't understand all the complainers just because it's so different.
The OP always makes me happy, though it's sad lyrics for the tone :)
 
May 7, 2014 7:30 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2009
Posts: 339
tsudecimo said:
Jomei said:
tsudecimo said:
Ah, damn. The streak of good episodes was broken. Did they run out of budget already? the art and animation are considerably worse in this episode. Pico's match was just terrible and stupid. 3/5


Boku no Peco

I thought the art and animation were fine. Peco's match was the way it was because his opponent was countering his play style and wearing him out.

Oh right lol.

But they were significantly worse the previous episodes with many stills. What I thought was stupid, was how Peco didn't attempt to simply hit a slow shot (probably have a name for it) to land close to the net, so his opponent can't reach it. Instead he continues to hit those hard long shots, despite his opponent being perfectly positioned to return them.

I don't know the episode as a whole was just no as good as the previous episodes in terms of almost everything imo. I expected China and Peco to lose but something about the execution was somewhat off.


Disagree. This was probably my favorite episode yet. I loved both matches especially Dragons. And the electrified animations in that match were probably the nicest in this show yet. When did they use stills i didnt catch any when i watched it.
 
May 7, 2014 8:02 AM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24368
CloudyDaze said:


Adding onto this discussion with the limited knowledge I got from looking up Ping-Pong on Wikipedia, I'd say it is a hard thing to do.

The ball being thrown to Peco was always being lobbed. So that the ball was coming in rather slow to begin with, it was also spinning like crazy. Generally, when faced with someone who is constantly spamming lobs, a more offensive player would try to keep up the pressure and cause him to slip. Lobbing in itself is a really tricky thing to do cause if you mess up you cause yourself a point. Not to mention lobbing is a defensive play, so why would you go on the defensive of someone being defensive?

Lobbing worked as a good story mechanic for Peco too. His playstyle is really offensive, unrefined. He's kind of like Mike Tyson in that he plays hard and plays quickly. He can hit hard but probably can't stay for a long time.

Lobbing worked so well against Peco because Akuma knew how to psychologically beat Peco. Most of Peco's opponents lost because Peco was intimidated and put a lot of pressure quickly. He's great at offensive and not much else. Akuma beat him by wearing him out and forcing Peco's moves to be sloppy.

It would be hard for Peco to return a slow ball because he is an offensive player. Peco is good at putting alot of pressure right from the get go. And because Peco lost in such a way tore him to pieces.

Most of what I'm saying is probably conjecture because I know ziltch about Ping-Pong as an actual sport but my general rule of thumb is that 'if I can't do it myself I shouldn't be talking'.

Thanks for your insight. It does make sense. And I got hard proof evidence of pros playing the same way, the match played out. So I was wrong in calling it stupid. I have a more positive opinion of Peco's match now, since that was the only thing I had problem with.

I played Ping Pong and even had a table at home, but I didn't get into this similar situation in a game before.
 
May 7, 2014 9:57 AM
Offline
Joined: Feb 2011
Posts: 49
CloudyDaze's point about the psychological aspect in the match between Akuma and Peco is very good insight. Peco is too predictable both in his game style and thinking.

Peco's offensive game just isn't refined enough to be able to beat a consistent lobber. Even if his offensive game is extremely good he's not using his brain at all in this match.
See 3:03 of this match http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FxxJyY3hO68
That's how you're supposed to play a lobber. A good offensive player uses the defensive player to their advantage and dictates the pace and pressure while using good placement to the wide forehand or wide backhand (very basic strategy, but I don't wanna type up a whole essay on it lol).

Defensive vs Defensive does work in the favour of the offensive player in many cases. What Peco should've used to conserve energy was what we call the drop shot.
Starting at 1:22 of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-mCPEiTr8. The winning shot is what a drop shot looks like. That's another way to beat lobbers, but requires incredible accuarcy, and touch/feel of the game.
 
May 7, 2014 3:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2010
Posts: 3029
Amazing, utterly amazing. The scenes between Kazama and Kong were absolutely stunning. Also, the talk of Kong's coach as a friend this time was pretty touching. Nothing less from Ping Pong. I just wonder how Peco will improve, he's my least favorite character so far.
 
May 7, 2014 3:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 24368
L2 said:

Starting at 1:22 of this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m4-mCPEiTr8. The winning shot is what a drop shot looks like. That's another way to beat lobbers, but requires incredible accuarcy, and touch/feel of the game.

This is exactly what I meant.
 
May 7, 2014 9:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2009
Posts: 6959
So long, Wenge. You were an awesome character.
 
May 7, 2014 11:28 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2014
Posts: 8
I'm going to try not to read the manga ahead of time so I don't spoil the story. I love the way the story is being handled in this anime. Half the time during the action sequences they cut it up like it's a manga already, and the other time it's a cool acid trip.

My biggest draw with this is that we felt all the main characters lose in some way. Once Wenge got kicked from the tournament we kind of see him have some sort of humanity besides Ping-Pong. The relationship he has between him and his trainer make me want to learn more and dive deeper into his character.

Peco is utterly destroyed after his defeat at the hands of Akuma. At this point we can safely assume that this is when he's going to actually get his stuff together and see him progress to taking the sport seriously, like everyone else.

Smile I find is the most interesting. Even I can relate to him at some point. He had the power to win, he has the skill and the confidence to send Wenge home packing. Hell, that match he was playing with a handicap because he was still getting used to his pips out paddle, but in the end Smile didn't crack under the pressure. Instead Smile broke down by his own personality. He pitied Wenge and he receded back into his shell just to keep Wenge's ego and probably livelihood going. Smile really didn't suffer a moment of character destruction because Smile lost out of pity and compassion and he didn't lose out of being too proud like most other sport shows do. I look forward to seeing where they take his character because this is the most interesting character development I've seen.

Lastly, (I'm sorry for this really long post), anyone else curious about that guy Smile destroyed in the first round? He had some interesting dialog and we even got to see a little scene dedicated to him when the episode ended. Not many people talk about him and it felt odd that we got some sort of significance drawn to him.
 
May 12, 2014 3:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 606
It's amazing the power you can feel radiating from Kazama.
Powerful eyebrows.
 
May 13, 2014 5:15 PM

Offline
Joined: Mar 2012
Posts: 1857
Hearing them talking in mandarim is fucking annoying...
 
May 13, 2014 8:38 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 606
bigzzcobzz said:
Hearing them talking in mandarim is fucking annoying...


Why? They are chinese voice actors.
Powerful eyebrows.
 
May 13, 2014 8:52 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 2042
Wenge was a solid and interesting character from the beginning through the end. I hope to know more about his past and his ping pong career as well. As for Smiles, he should try going into Kaio Academy. That place is so damn advanced. No wonder they dominated the tournament.
 
May 14, 2014 3:08 AM
Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 2
Douglas24 said:
Very surprised Kazama beat Wenge. Overall that a a very good episode.


Ditto, was surprised Wenge lost like that
 
May 17, 2014 6:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 4760
I don't like Peco but when he was crying alone, I can't help but feel sorry for him. And Kong...*sniffle*
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
 
May 21, 2014 5:08 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2008
Posts: 3036
The rallies were the best yet in this episode. Peco vs Demon - despite a ton of reused shots - had a great flow, and China vs Dragon was eerie and mad, like Dragon's first match should be. I'm not getting into the characters as much as in the manga, though. Strange.
Like Japanese films? Swing by the Cinema of Japan club! ( ´ ▽ ` )ノ
 
Jun 26, 2014 5:53 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 10453
Did this somehow turn into Prince of Ping Pong? Not that I mind, tho: that Kazama v. China was great, and I loved the imagery used to represent Kazama's sheer power and Kong's fear of going home the tail between the legs.
The relationship between Granny Tamura and Koizumi-sensei, as well as their conversation was a nice parallel to Peco and Smile's friendship and gave us a bit more insight on what is actually holding them (more Peco than Smile) back. Curious to see how Peco's character will develop from there.

A less Smile-focused, but nonetheless excellent episode.
Proud founder of The Official Anti-Ging Freecss Fan Club Join now!
Kellhus said:
GuusWayne said:
there is a limit to the suspension of disbelief

And it's the fan that did it. Not the smoking porn reading rubik cube genius rape ape with a magic boat.
 
Jul 17, 2014 9:54 AM
Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 6823
Damn, son......did you see them purple lightnings and purple dragon?? The dragon ate the airplane :O Kazama is a monster!! He looks like a freaking monster too during their fight.
Kaio has awesome offers and facilities....but the students looks like they are being treated like machines made to play and win ping pong.
I didn't expect Peco and Wenge to lose, man. Poor Peco :/ He was crying. I feel sorry for Wenge. The scene between him and his coach was nice.
Oh, so they are going to introduce a girl character, huh.
Well, that's it for today. I shall continue this tomorrow :3
 
Jul 23, 2014 4:24 AM

Offline
Joined: May 2013
Posts: 414
Shame to see Kong lose, really liked him. The scene where he was talking to the coach was pretty touching.

Kazama is a freaking monster, I felt powerless just watching that.

Peco got crushed, let's see how he bounces back.
 
Sep 15, 2014 4:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2011
Posts: 12606
Episode was just mehh, the only part I really liked was Peco's tears. Art and animation aren't as great as previous episodes, it's starting to feel lazy.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
 
Nov 19, 2014 2:35 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2012
Posts: 25466
Pretty nice episode, let's see what happens next!
 
Top
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »