Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fairy Tail
Available on Manga Store
New
New or Old art style?
May 1, 2014 5:29 AM

Aug 2012
Since there's no poll yet and wanted to see which is more favoured/liked.
Salamander2170May 1, 2014 5:35 AM
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
May 1, 2014 9:42 AM

Jul 2010
I think the old art was great but for me I just want Juvia to be fixed with the new art, she looked great the way she looked with the old art.
Right now she looks so weird to me and her being my favorite character .i noticed she was way prettier in the old art.
Well more like in the episodes 121-165
May 1, 2014 9:53 AM

Nov 2011
May 1, 2014 10:16 AM

Jun 2013
The new one of course. the old wasnt even HD, they just need to fix the animation a little
May 1, 2014 10:32 AM

May 2013
I like the old one better in some ways, and I like the new style in others.
May 1, 2014 10:34 AM

May 2013
randy1925 said:
The new one of course. the old wasnt even HD, they just need to fix the animation a little

So you need HD to watch anime? Also yes it was in HD, the colors in this new art style are more vivid.
May 1, 2014 7:19 PM
Mar 2014
New animation looks lazy, sometimes the characters looks weird, i was desappointed by the battle scene between Rufus & Gray (in the manga the battle was a lot better), i dont like this new color palette, so until now old animation, hope it changes and the next episodes are with more effort so i can like this new animation
May 1, 2014 8:14 PM

May 2013
sfn27x said:
New animation looks lazy, sometimes the characters looks weird, i was desappointed by the battle scene between Rufus & Gray (in the manga the battle was a lot better), i dont like this new color palette, so until now old animation, hope it changes and the next episodes are with more effort so i can like this new animation

I'm sure it'll get better, it can only go up form here thankfully! ^^
However I'm sure its going to be later down the line rather than sooner. But if you give it time then I'm sure it'll be worth the wait.
May 2, 2014 12:48 AM

Jun 2010
I voted on both art styles.

Tbh I didn't like the new art when they showed teasers on their official web site, but when I actually watched the new episodes, I couldn't tell anymore after 5 mins...

May 2, 2014 9:40 AM

Nov 2013
Old

Juvia looks weird
Erza looks weird
Gray looks weird
May 2, 2014 9:44 AM

May 2013
short_review said:
Old

Juvia looks weird
Erza looks weird
Gray looks weird

Huh I wonder if that could be because, they changed the art style.
May 2, 2014 9:55 AM

Mar 2014
AnimefanRex said:
randy1925 said:

So you need HD to watch anime? Also yes it was in HD, the colors in this new art style are more vivid.

The old anime was clearly upscaled to 720p from a lower resolution. Bleach and KHR did the same thing when they went "HD". Get your eyes checked.
May 2, 2014 2:06 PM
Mar 2014
Old, This new animatoin is lazy, the art style is so-so (supposed to be more acurrate to manga but in a lazy way), the colors and details were better in first season. The only good thing i found in this new animation is the HD, but it doesnt works if the character designer have no good skills while drawing, maybe if they change the character designer the animation can be improved, and the derp faces and body disproportion of this new season could disappear
May 7, 2014 6:28 AM

Apr 2014
I Liked The Old Art._.
May 8, 2014 7:09 AM

Dec 2013
randy1925 said:

Personally, I think the animation improved drastically towards the end of the first season, and backed up with the new character models, I think overall the look of fairy tail is at its best
May 10, 2014 2:55 AM
Jul 2018
The new character designs are shit. Example: Gajeel looks like a fucking hippie.

The animation is sloppy. Example: When one character talks and there are others on the same screen, the ones not talking are still. Doing nothing.

Characters looks like shit when they're far away.
May 10, 2014 4:33 AM

Feb 2013
Wendy looks way cuter now, so new
May 10, 2014 6:21 AM

Aug 2013
Definitely Old ;_;

LCWS | SCS | TCO | NC | DNC
May 23, 2014 4:55 AM
Mar 2013
Old
There are some things that improved, but nothing major. On the other hand, female characters looks worse, all of them. Poor Cana didn't deserve what this art style did to her. Also these washed out colors dont suit Erzas hair.
"Well if you have criticisms as a consumer of retail item X, then why don't you step down from your role as consumer and critic and become a creator of the sort of item you were hoping to buy and had thought you had been promised, since everyone knows that the only logical, rational solution to displeasure with a product is to become a manufacturer."
May 23, 2014 2:55 PM

Jul 2007
New, without a doubt.

Its closer to the manga, it looks better in motion and its better animated.
May 24, 2014 8:53 AM
Mar 2014
Old of course.

Have better battle animation, better colour scheme, more detailed and better pacing.
Personally i dont like the new, it feels generic
May 24, 2014 3:38 PM

Nov 2011
The new ANIMATION is better, however the art is for sure more generic. The colors are far too subdued, and part of the charm of the old series was how overly bright and saturated the colors were- It made it unique due to just how colorful and happy it looked.

The new actual art also has issues as well. I liked it at first, but now that I see how they animate it I realize that they really don't know what they are doing- It isn't a style they are used to and therefor they are unable to keep it consistent, which isn't surprising considering it's A1.
May 25, 2014 3:49 PM

Jun 2009
Do not give a shit as long as the story is good. But i will say Gajeel looks kick ass.
HironogaMay 25, 2014 3:58 PM
May 25, 2014 3:59 PM

Jun 2009
GreenSoap said:
The new character designs are shit. Example: Gajeel looks like a fucking hippie.

The animation is sloppy. Example: When one character talks and there are others on the same screen, the ones not talking are still. Doing nothing.

Characters looks like shit when they're far away.
A Hippie i never seen a hippie like that bro lol
May 25, 2014 9:40 PM
Aug 2013
Old,
this new one sucks
it's like hayate no gotoku - hayate no gotoku cant take my eyes off you
May 26, 2014 4:22 PM

Jul 2010
While the pacing and music of the old one have far surpassed this season's, I feel extremely different about the art...
The fight scenes as of now are decently animated, not the best but still, they have yet to reach any large scale fights anyway so I hope the fight scenes kick into gear with the animation.
As for designs, I personally have no idea why most prefer the old one's artstyle. Magic now looks beautiful and the characters now look closer to the manga. As far as I'm concerned, the character designs from season 1 were just strange. Bodies look weird, faces looked downright off because of either eyes or noses, I don't really like either artstyle too much but if I had to pick, this current season is definitely my choice.
May 26, 2014 5:33 PM

Jun 2009
SadTreeButler said:
While the pacing and music of the old one have far surpassed this season's, I feel extremely different about the art...
The fight scenes as of now are decently animated, not the best but still, they have yet to reach any large scale fights anyway so I hope the fight scenes kick into gear with the animation.
As for designs, I personally have no idea why most prefer the old one's artstyle. Magic now looks beautiful and the characters now look closer to the manga. As far as I'm concerned, the character designs from season 1 were just strange. Bodies look weird, faces looked downright off because of either eyes or noses, I don't really like either artstyle too much but if I had to pick, this current season is definitely my choice.

the thing is they look good standing still but the animations are horrible i mean i just caught up to after being 20 episodes behind and it is a dramatic change the consistancy is not in the first two new episodes but i hear it gets better.
May 26, 2014 9:32 PM

Jul 2010
Hironoga said:
SadTreeButler said:

the thing is they look good standing still but the animations are horrible i mean i just caught up to after being 20 episodes behind and it is a dramatic change the consistancy is not in the first two new episodes but i hear it gets better.

Really? I just saw the latest episode and other than an odd shot of Panther Lily, it was pretty solid.
May 26, 2014 10:36 PM

Apr 2013
Old is way better .... i hate the new art work....but i need to bear it as it is same as manga... :(
May 27, 2014 12:26 AM

Jul 2007
Hironoga said:
SadTreeButler said:

Animation fluctuations in movement are nothing unusual, because there are less still frames.

The previous animation used a LOT of stills barely moving parts

New animation uses a whole lot more fully fluid frames, thus more chance for QUALITY moments in character designs.

However the overall character designs are still far closer to manga (Instead of outright Picasso-like creepyfaces in the previous series), the animation style is far better(no crapy magic circles, no contrasting sfx, and the actual feeling of depth in the frames), so the QUALITY moments can be excused and most likely will be fixed in DVD releases.
May 28, 2014 2:48 PM

Mar 2014
sfn27x said:
Old of course.

Have better battle animation, better colour scheme, more detailed and better pacing.

Everything you said about the old was hilarious bullshit
May 28, 2014 3:58 PM
Mar 2014
TheGrandSage23 said:
sfn27x said:
Old of course.

Everything you said about the old was hilarious bullshit

Seems that you didnt see Erza vs Azuma, or even the first season.
May 31, 2014 5:48 PM
Oct 2008
They're both awful
Jun 1, 2014 9:09 AM
Sep 2011
I really prefer the new art style, like, it blew me away to be honest. I get so hype about it so quickly.
Jun 2, 2014 9:31 PM

Aug 2013
Old. The new artstyle isn't as bright and lively as the old one and the characters look less detailed. The old artstyle to me was of a higher visual quality, the new one seems to me to be the result of a possible budget cut.

RosyXkid said:
I think the old art was great but for me I just want Juvia to be fixed with the new art, she looked great the way she looked with the old art.
Right now she looks so weird to me and her being my favorite character .i noticed she was way prettier in the old art.
Well more like in the episodes 121-165
I completely agree . Juvi - chan looked a hundred times cuter with the old art and her hair was a nice dark blue color. IMO Juvi- chan, Grey, Erza, Cana, Kagura, Lyon, Jura were the most negatively affected by the change in the artstyle.
Jun 2, 2014 10:12 PM

Jun 2013
The new artsyle is closer to the manga, and the old artstyle was the one with low budget lol... and i think people arent liking the new artstyle cuz the boobs arent as big as the last sequel and the female characters bodies arent as smooth as the last one is that why the animation is bad?
Jun 3, 2014 11:38 AM

Apr 2012
"New is always better" - Barney Stinson
Jun 7, 2014 7:26 AM

Apr 2014
Definitley the new one.
Cause the new art style loooks just like the manga.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Jun 8, 2014 12:44 AM

Apr 2008
I prefer the old style, most of the characters especially the female chars look better in the old. The notable ones are juvia, erza and mirajane. The animations are also worse compared to last season. Erza vs 100 was still a bit like slide show but it was no where near as bad as gray versus memory mold guy.

Actually if u ask me, i had no complaints for last season.
Jun 8, 2014 12:52 AM

Jul 2010
As long there are huge-boobs-Mashima's style, I'm fine with it.
Jun 17, 2014 7:37 AM

Apr 2014
Old :(
Jun 18, 2014 9:19 AM

Jan 2014
Sydonis said:
Old
There are some things that improved, but nothing major. On the other hand, female characters looks worse, all of them. Poor Cana didn't deserve what this art style did to her. Also these washed out colors dont suit Erzas hair.

somehow male characters looks better while females became worse(generally speaking)...I still dont know why did they change Cana.They mess with her face and add more boobs to balance i think,but it doesnt work that way...and why all characters have transparent hair?we can see their eyes behind their hairs and im still bothered because of that
Jun 20, 2014 6:05 AM

Oct 2012
I prefer old.
many character eyes looks more sharper.
Jun 20, 2014 3:13 PM

Nov 2013
I can only agree with the old fraction. Maybe it's just a matter of getting used to it but I simply can't get used to those female eyes... Everyone looks like they are 5 or more years older.
"Be wary - triumphant pride precipitates a dizzying fall..."
Three circles make a triangle ▲, four a square ■ and five a star ★
Click the circles
...to the beat

http://sig.grumpybumpers.com/host/Hotchy.gif

[center]

Jun 21, 2014 8:10 PM

Apr 2014
Art style? I like the new one better.
Jun 25, 2014 9:34 AM
Oct 2011
How the hell is it even possible that over 26% of voters prefer the new animation and almost 25% don't care, are people just comparing how characters look like or do they just think that newer style(/manga style?) is the same thing as better regardless of how shitty it looks?!

I don't understand how can anyone say they prefer the new animation, it's the same thing as saying that they like it because it's badly animated. Characters are just some way deformed in every scene, and I don't mean deformed as in One Piece, but unintentionally deformed and continuously shape changing. Combat has also taken a huge step backwards and is far less detailed. It looks so bad that I still haven't watched beyond ep3. I really want to watch, but I just can't because it looks so bad it completely distracts me from the rest of the content.
Jun 25, 2014 7:12 PM

Apr 2014
Yeah the animation so far hasn't been so good IMO. Episode 13 looks like it will be animated better though.
Jun 26, 2014 9:35 AM

Apr 2009
Yeah the new animation is atrocious. I don't know what I was thinking about when said it was better initially. I must of been high that day. Its its almost unbearable to watch this week to week now.
Jun 27, 2014 2:12 AM
Jun 2014
People should be glad that we at least got Fairy Tail back this quickly. Seriously stop complaining about the old style. Be glad it didn't take 3 or more years for it to air again!!

I liked both art styles but to me the new style is better, the animation is a bit off and they need to put more effort on side characters but even the old style had problems like this that would arise. This is nothing that the staff can't fix.
Jun 27, 2014 6:26 PM

Mar 2012
I like both

But I prefer new Erza <3
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» animation

0megaH - Feb 28, 2022

12 by Cristiano456 »»
Apr 4, 7:19 PM

» Why the hate ( 1 2 )

StrayDogYato - May 13, 2021

50 by filthyfrank8142 »»
Mar 26, 11:27 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 2, 2014

107 by Avyack »»
Mar 10, 10:17 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 25, 2014

136 by Avyack »»
Mar 10, 9:57 AM

Poll: » Fairy Tail (2014) Episode 3 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Apr 18, 2014

121 by Avyack »»
Mar 10, 9:25 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.