Forum Settings
Forums

Romance (especially shoujou) with a more mature feel.

New
Apr 29, 2014 9:43 PM

Dec 2012
In my quest for more and more adorable romances I have begun to be convinced the best romance are written by shoujou mangaka. The stories tend to be very cute and lack the overused harem feel that most shonen manga have. The problem is they can get just way too sappy; with the main girl drooling over the tal generically cool guy. Ofc ourse I should expect this from manga written for teenage girls. It just seems a lot of shoujou is very childish for my tastes.

I recently read Bitter Virgin and loved it. It was such a great story, and it has the type of realistic drama and conflict I am looking for. The development of the character also took time and it wasn't because one of them was generically perfect or beautiful but because the characters actually grow in their relationship.

If I could find more romances such as these it would be great. something with a more mature feel to it; that touches on real conflicts and situations people face every day. I don't know if this is more in the josei category but I don't really care what "category" it falls into so long as it is a good and serious story, that sill doesn't lack in the romance department.

I have already read Sukitte ii na yo and some of Tonari no kaibutsu kun and although they're great it fits into that sappy teeny romance I'm trying to get away from for a bit.

Any suggestions?
Apr 29, 2014 9:53 PM

Sep 2013
Koizora
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Apr 29, 2014 9:54 PM

Jan 2013
I'm going to hesitantly recommend Isshuukan Friends which is currently airing (episode 4). Even though the romance is between 2 young high school students it definitely has a more mature feel to it, especially when compared to most other romances. It is labeled as shounen, but that doesn't mean anything. I'm also pretty sure you'll find this to be "very cute;" heck I'm not a big fan of romance and I took a shot in the dark with this anime, but I'm loving it so far and find it adorable.

I recommend you give it a shot and at least watch episode 1 to get a feel of the atmosphere; it may be (hopefully) exactly what you're looking for.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 30, 2014 8:42 AM

Dec 2012
SharifEbeefE said:
I'm going to hesitantly recommend Isshuukan Friends which is currently airing (episode 4). Even though the romance is between 2 young high school students it definitely has a more mature feel to it, especially when compared to most other romances. It is labeled as shounen, but that doesn't mean anything. I'm also pretty sure you'll find this to be "very cute;" heck I'm not a big fan of romance and I took a shot in the dark with this anime, but I'm loving it so far and find it adorable.

I recommend you give it a shot and at least watch episode 1 to get a feel of the atmosphere; it may be (hopefully) exactly what you're looking for.

I'll check it out. thank you

More topics from this board

» Please recommend anime that has plot/tone sci-fi + fantasy?

Donkunsan - Yesterday

18 by mo_lave »»
5 minutes ago

» new season, need recommendations

silversaint - Yesterday

6 by DMind »»
Today, 2:05 AM

» Looking for any recommendations really

TabonyBoy - Apr 16

12 by PostMahouShoujo »»
Today, 1:02 AM

» Grim series for tonight

LoveYourEyes - Apr 1

15 by r3v3l3v3l »»
Yesterday, 10:09 PM

» Anime similar to live-action action movies?

Skuletor - Yesterday

6 by Skuletor »»
Yesterday, 4:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.