Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
May 6, 2014 4:39 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 202
rasenshiruken973 said:

She is pretty ordinary but something about her is just cute. It's really hard to explain cause it's not something I can put my finger on. I'm not too keen on Kana really. Her attitude is a bit... hmm. I don't think Kuroha is tsundere at all. Her character has remained pretty consistent so far. Watch the link I put cause that's basically what made me like more lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tGZijnuqc&app=desktop

And I like Kazumi as well.


I saw that video a week ago, it's edited made of random phrases, but I agree that moment with laundry and song was cute. Still this show lacks some really standing out characters, like Yuno from Mirai Nikki, CC/Lelouch, Lucy from EL, they basically make the show. I recently watched Robotics; Notes, I don't think I could watch it till the end without Frau :D
 
May 6, 2014 5:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 732
sadfacelv said:
rasenshiruken973 said:

She is pretty ordinary but something about her is just cute. It's really hard to explain cause it's not something I can put my finger on. I'm not too keen on Kana really. Her attitude is a bit... hmm. I don't think Kuroha is tsundere at all. Her character has remained pretty consistent so far. Watch the link I put cause that's basically what made me like more lol.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D_tGZijnuqc&app=desktop

And I like Kazumi as well.


I saw that video a week ago, it's edited made of random phrases, but I agree that moment with laundry and song was cute. Still this show lacks some really standing out characters, like Yuno from Mirai Nikki, CC/Lelouch, Lucy from EL, they basically make the show. I recently watched Robotics; Notes, I don't think I could watch it till the end without Frau :D


Gasai Yuno is one of my favourite female characters :D
Lucy > Kuroha I admit. But I still love Kuroha as well.

I'm interested in this show for the story more than characters, but there are none that really annoy me so it's fine I guess.
 
May 6, 2014 5:28 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 2107
Coming from someone who likes Elfen Lied, I lament to inform people that Elfen Lied is one of the most incompetent anime series ever made.
To its credit though, it has some nice thematic concerns it just doesn't develop on them as much as it could have.
 
May 6, 2014 5:30 AM
Offline
Joined: Dec 2012
Posts: 92
Lime_ said:
I have no idea, and Elfen Lied is one of the best shows ever made that has deep, complex well developed characters that are not afraid to tell it like it is, with a strong ending.

MAL must be crazy


Made my day.

Speaking about Gokukoku, you only stay to watch gore, thats it. It has no superior plot or at least more interesting characters than average show.
 
May 6, 2014 3:25 PM

Offline
Joined: May 2010
Posts: 2778
Nemesis0 said:
Lime_ said:
I have no idea, and Elfen Lied is one of the best shows ever made that has deep, complex well developed characters that are not afraid to tell it like it is, with a strong ending.

MAL must be crazy


Made my day.

Speaking about Gokukoku, you only stay to watch gore, thats it. It has no superior plot or at least more interesting characters than average show.


lmao. poor Lime_
 
May 6, 2014 5:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 463
I find that the title is very interesting.
I think the more normal question to ask is:
Why such a high rating?
Recently the scores on the newest anime are just driving me crazy.
I see 8 on Mahouka and proceeded to waste 20 min of my life watching some dumb cliched incestuous sh*t which seems to me like it came right out of a toilet bowl.
And this anime...let's sum it up:
Huh...why can he/she do X
Oh, because surprise surprise, he/she has Y power!!
Goodjob guys.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
 
May 6, 2014 5:01 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 585
Because it sucks.
 
May 7, 2014 4:04 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1563
Who cares what other people think? If you like it then watch it. If I cared what other people thought then you wouldn't see Nisekoi and Shippuden in my favorites.

On another note I didn't know that people still take ratings seriously on this site.
Modified by Minagatachi, May 7, 2014 4:08 AM
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
May 7, 2014 6:14 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 20873
Minagatachi said:
On another note I didn't know that people still take ratings seriously on this site.


What else is there to life besides having your favourite chinese cartoons rated high?
 
May 7, 2014 8:47 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 66
ReaperCreeper said:
Minagatachi said:
On another note I didn't know that people still take ratings seriously on this site.


What else is there to life besides having your favourite chinese cartoons rated high?

anime is Japanese
"Urushibara Ruka, delicate as an orchid, fair as a cherry blossom, the personification of feminine grace and also... a dude. Tall as a willow, slender as a reed, a dude. Radiant in shrine vestments... dude. the sun dips low in a rosy sky, secateurs buzz, Ruka is a dude".

-Okabe Rintarou/ Hououin Kyouma
 
May 7, 2014 12:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2012
Posts: 1141
Clannad4evr said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Minagatachi said:
On another note I didn't know that people still take ratings seriously on this site.


What else is there to life besides having your favourite chinese cartoons rated high?

anime is Japanese


It's a joke lol ^
 
May 7, 2014 12:48 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 66
Danpmss said:
Clannad4evr said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Minagatachi said:
On another note I didn't know that people still take ratings seriously on this site.


What else is there to life besides having your favourite chinese cartoons rated high?

anime is Japanese


It's a joke lol ^


I hope so....... I know a lot of people who would say this with a straight face. And these people like anime.
"Urushibara Ruka, delicate as an orchid, fair as a cherry blossom, the personification of feminine grace and also... a dude. Tall as a willow, slender as a reed, a dude. Radiant in shrine vestments... dude. the sun dips low in a rosy sky, secateurs buzz, Ruka is a dude".

-Okabe Rintarou/ Hououin Kyouma
 
May 7, 2014 12:58 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 463
Clannad4evr said:
Danpmss said:
Clannad4evr said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Minagatachi said:
On another note I didn't know that people still take ratings seriously on this site.


What else is there to life besides having your favourite chinese cartoons rated high?

anime is Japanese


It's a joke lol ^


I hope so....... I know a lot of people who would say this with a straight face. And these people like anime.

Youre hanging out with the wrong kids bro.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
 
May 7, 2014 12:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2008
Posts: 463
Minagatachi said:
Who cares what other people think? If you like it then watch it. If I cared what other people thought then you wouldn't see Nisekoi and Shippuden in my favorites.

On another note I didn't know that people still take ratings seriously on this site.


The last I checked, thats what this site is designed for.
There's two kinds of people you can't win an argument against:
One - Too dumb to tell right from wrong.
Two - Too stubborn to admit they are wrong.
 
May 7, 2014 1:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 11429
Clannad4evr said:


I hope so....... I know a lot of people who would say this with a straight face. And these people like anime.


Of course it's not a joke

Japan is a state of China.
 
May 7, 2014 3:44 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 732
kuity said:
Minagatachi said:
Who cares what other people think? If you like it then watch it. If I cared what other people thought then you wouldn't see Nisekoi and Shippuden in my favorites.

On another note I didn't know that people still take ratings seriously on this site.


The last I checked, thats what this site is designed for.


Good point, though you could argue it is My Anime List, not My Anime Rating. I think the primary purpose of this site is that it's just a database of anime and a way to store personal anime data. I guess ratings are one of the main purposes though, but some people don't care. Like, my friend never looks at score he just reads the synopsis to decide whether he watch or not but I'm not opposite. Almost never read synopsis just look at genres, score and first lines of a few reviews to decide.
 
May 7, 2014 3:46 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 732
Clannad4evr said:
Danpmss said:
Clannad4evr said:
ReaperCreeper said:
Minagatachi said:
On another note I didn't know that people still take ratings seriously on this site.


What else is there to life besides having your favourite chinese cartoons rated high?

anime is Japanese


It's a joke lol ^



I hope so....... I know a lot of people who would say this with a straight face. And these people like anime.


Was funny joke but I've seen some ill-informed people on the internet who've been watching anime for a good few months and still think it's Chinese >.<
 
May 8, 2014 1:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2011
Posts: 20873
Clannad4evr said:


I hope so....... I know a lot of people who would say this with a straight face. And these people like anime.


That's pretty funny actually when most series go out of their way to show a map of Japan while indicating "We're in this part"
 
May 8, 2014 4:52 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1563
kuity said:
Minagatachi said:
Who cares what other people think? If you like it then watch it. If I cared what other people thought then you wouldn't see Nisekoi and Shippuden in my favorites.

On another note I didn't know that people still take ratings seriously on this site.


The last I checked, thats what this site is designed for.
Even if that's what the site is designed for, it doesn't mean that an anime's score is going to reflect the enjoyability that you will have with it.

I'm going to get blasted for this, but I mostly go by popularity/hype these days, as well as a few other things (synopsis, tags/genre, etc).
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
May 8, 2014 11:33 AM

Offline
Joined: Feb 2014
Posts: 115
ReaperCreeper said:
That's pretty funny actually when most series go out of their way to show a map of Japan while indicating "We're in this part"


I'm thinking that people who can't tell if animé is Chinese or Japanese probably aren't too good at recognizing countries on a map, either.
 
May 8, 2014 11:50 AM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2011
Posts: 4667
Probably because No gore, No nudity. Honestly, that's the reason why Elfen Lied is rated that high on MAL.
 
May 8, 2014 12:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Sep 2009
Posts: 801
I loved the first episodes, meh MAL does not have the same rating criteria as we do.
They are more into mainstream stuff :p
 
May 8, 2014 1:00 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2014
Posts: 66
Hisio said:
I loved the first episodes, meh MAL does not have the same rating criteria as we do.
They are more into mainstream stuff :p

I completely agree. FMAB does not deserve #1
"Urushibara Ruka, delicate as an orchid, fair as a cherry blossom, the personification of feminine grace and also... a dude. Tall as a willow, slender as a reed, a dude. Radiant in shrine vestments... dude. the sun dips low in a rosy sky, secateurs buzz, Ruka is a dude".

-Okabe Rintarou/ Hououin Kyouma
 
May 8, 2014 2:35 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 553
Hisio said:
I loved the first episodes, meh MAL does not have the same rating criteria as we do.
They are more into mainstream stuff :p


Considering the toss-up between 'mainstream' stuff like Attack on Titan, Fullmetal Alchemist, Bleach, Naruto, etc and Brynhildr, I'd take the former any day.

Clannad4evr said:
Hisio said:
I loved the first episodes, meh MAL does not have the same rating criteria as we do.
They are more into mainstream stuff :p

I completely agree. FMAB does not deserve #1


No anime deserves the number one spot, but FMA:B deserves to be near the top.

Brynhildr doesn't and I'm going to explain why.

The mole on the armpit has already been addressed. We, the viewer, already know, but the plot demands the main character doesn't know for god knows what reason.

It's still devoid of an explanation on why there are female witches, but no male witches. Why the hell are they only showing us the female characters? Are there any particular reason behind it? Can't men have the same powers? At this point, it feels like 'harem trope 101' to have the main character surrounded by all girls to be the centre of affection.

And the fanservice. The fucking awful fanservice. Lots of sexual innuendos that are completely out of nowhere.

I'm too old for this shit now. I was too old for this shit when I was out of Secondary School.

It deserves the low ratings. I was impressed with the first couple of episodes, but it went downhill once it started acting like... well, like an anime.
 
May 8, 2014 2:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1432
Fanservice just destroys this anime atmosphere...I mean, how the hell am I supposed to take seriously the dark tone it presents to us when tasteless sex joke fly over every minute.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
 
May 8, 2014 2:47 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 12282
Dimitrije1606 said:
Fanservice just destroys this anime atmosphere...I mean, how the hell am I supposed to take seriously the dark tone it presents to us when tasteless sex joke fly over every minute.


You realize that gore and murder are tasteless right?
 
May 8, 2014 2:50 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1432
SolviteSekai said:
Dimitrije1606 said:
Fanservice just destroys this anime atmosphere...I mean, how the hell am I supposed to take seriously the dark tone it presents to us when tasteless sex joke fly over every minute.


You realize that gore and murder are tasteless right?

Of course I do, but that is not the problem here. I am just saying sex jokes are ruining this show.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
 
May 8, 2014 2:51 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2013
Posts: 12282
Dimitrije1606 said:
SolviteSekai said:
Dimitrije1606 said:
Fanservice just destroys this anime atmosphere...I mean, how the hell am I supposed to take seriously the dark tone it presents to us when tasteless sex joke fly over every minute.


You realize that gore and murder are tasteless right?

Of course I do, but that is not the problem here. I am just saying sex jokes are ruining this show.


Not really.

The horrible direction and more than likely terrible source material are ruining this show.

I'll never understand why people think "BUT HE WROTE ELFIN LIED!" is an adequate defense for his later works.
 
May 8, 2014 2:56 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 553
SolviteSekai said:
Dimitrije1606 said:
Fanservice just destroys this anime atmosphere...I mean, how the hell am I supposed to take seriously the dark tone it presents to us when tasteless sex joke fly over every minute.


You realize that gore and murder are tasteless right?


False equivalence.

Brynhildr is trying to represent that everyone who is a witch outside of the organisation's reach are all in danger and they will eventually die, either from lack of pills, or disposed of by high-ranking witches.

Thus realistically, the show should portray that. Gore and murder is just further proof that the main character's lives are all in danger and they should really take the situation seriously.

Sex jokes run contradictory to that. In fact, I would go as far to say that it is 'otaku pandering', but this anime (and by extension, the manga) has been otaku pandering with its entire cast of female characters and one male character. So this show was pretty tasteless, but I was able to stomach it until episode 5 because it did have an intriguing plot.

Then well, I was reminded it became... anime.
 
May 8, 2014 3:06 PM

Offline
Joined: Jun 2013
Posts: 1432
SolviteSekai said:
Dimitrije1606 said:
SolviteSekai said:
Dimitrije1606 said:
Fanservice just destroys this anime atmosphere...I mean, how the hell am I supposed to take seriously the dark tone it presents to us when tasteless sex joke fly over every minute.


You realize that gore and murder are tasteless right?

Of course I do, but that is not the problem here. I am just saying sex jokes are ruining this show.


Not really.

The horrible direction and more than likely terrible source material are ruining this show.

I'll never understand why people think "BUT HE WROTE ELFIN LIED!" is an adequate defense for his later works.


While I did love Elfen Lied, I agree with you. That is not a proper defense. It can establish a bit of an expectation, but it can't use it as a shield.
Ad Astra Per Aspera
 
May 8, 2014 5:05 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 688
Why do people keep making threads about a shows rating? If the rating is low that means a lot people dislike it. If the rating is high that means a lot of people enjoy it, end of story.
 
May 8, 2014 5:12 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 11429
Aichiro said:
Why do people keep making threads about a shows rating? If the rating is low that means a lot people dislike it. If the rating is high that means a lot of people enjoy it, end of story.


Because he's asking what specifically is it that people don't enjoy about a series.
 
May 9, 2014 12:59 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 202
Wth with this stuff about sexual jokes, are we really wacthing the same anime, I can remember only short episode in bath and some jokes in ep5. This show is still far from hentai or ecchi for now;
 
May 9, 2014 6:26 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 732
Clannad4evr said:
Hisio said:
I loved the first episodes, meh MAL does not have the same rating criteria as we do.
They are more into mainstream stuff :p

I completely agree. FMAB does not deserve #1


YEAH IKR!!!! The fact that FMAB is at the top and is about 0.6 ahead of Steins; Gate and Clannad After Story, when FMAB is in NO way perfect, nor is it particularly thought-provoking or mature (Ok sometimes it gets quite dark but there is a lot of misplaced humour that kills the atmosphere at times).

Steins; Gate is a far better constructed story with real emotions and perfectly executed romance.

And Clannad After Story is damn near perfect. Admittedly if you don't get attached to the characters you won't feel anything so it will be pointless. But provided you do then it's practically flawless.

I don't get it at all. FMAB shouldn't even be in the top 10 -.-
Modified by ittou_shura, May 9, 2014 6:33 AM
 
May 9, 2014 6:27 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 732
Aichiro said:
Why do people keep making threads about a shows rating? If the rating is low that means a lot people dislike it. If the rating is high that means a lot of people enjoy it, end of story.


I'm trying to determine the reasons behind why people like/dislike it.
 
May 9, 2014 6:32 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 732
Dimitrije1606 said:
SolviteSekai said:
Dimitrije1606 said:
Fanservice just destroys this anime atmosphere...I mean, how the hell am I supposed to take seriously the dark tone it presents to us when tasteless sex joke fly over every minute.


You realize that gore and murder are tasteless right?

Of course I do, but that is not the problem here. I am just saying sex jokes are ruining this show.


The sex jokes are tastefully done, and not becoming the main focus at all. We had about 2 scenes of fan-service sex jokes so far. It's just a little something to enjoy that's why it's called FAN- SERVICE. This is the way fan service is meant to be done. I never understand why so many people hate any kind of fan service since mostly males watch anime like... why can't you just enjoy it o.o
 
May 9, 2014 7:16 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 553
rasenshiruken973 said:
Clannad4evr said:
Hisio said:
I loved the first episodes, meh MAL does not have the same rating criteria as we do.
They are more into mainstream stuff :p

I completely agree. FMAB does not deserve #1


YEAH IKR!!!! The fact that FMAB is at the top and is about 0.6 ahead of Steins; Gate and Clannad After Story, when FMAB is in NO way perfect, nor is it particularly thought-provoking or mature (Ok sometimes it gets quite dark but there is a lot of misplaced humour that kills the atmosphere at times).
-


Okay... Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is immature compared to... Clannad, which contained moe caricatures in the form of Fuuka and says "It's completely okay your wife dies, she'll be revived back with the magical fireflies of the world". I have no opinion on Steins;Gate as i have not seen it.

But immature compared to Clannad, really? I love Clannad as much as the next person, but Brotherhood doesn't make me facepalm as bad as Clannad. Brotherhood has tackled a lot of sensitive issues, including genocide, politics, rights of land, war crimes, alchemy taboo and various cultures.

Yes it is light-hearted at times, but I think it deserves those light-hearted moments to off-set the dark moments and it does pump the audience with hope as your characters strive to overcome the antagonists. Hell, even the despicable of characters like Wrath, Homoncolous/Father, Envy and Greed were made 'human' through character development such as fear, regret, love, etc.

Plus it is one of the few animes that focus on an adult cast of characters in addition to the current teenagers. I think in that regard, FMA: B has a lot of anime beaten for the fact that A. It tackles all those sensitive subjects. B. It's accessible to an audience beyond the otaku pandering, which really, Clannad does otaku pandering at times with its female-to-male ratio cast and C. It didn't act too much like an anime to begin with.

And I enjoy that. I think it should be near the top. I wouldn't say #1 (though if I'm biased, Monster should be #1), but in a contest between FMA:B and Brynhildr, FMA:B buries Brynhildr and all of its children.

The sex jokes are tastefully done, and not becoming the main focus at all. We had about 2 scenes of fan-service sex jokes so far. It's just a little something to enjoy that's why it's called FAN- SERVICE. This is the way fan service is meant to be done. I never understand why so many people hate any kind of fan service since mostly males watch anime like... why can't you just enjoy it o.o


In an anime about paranoia, urgency and the chance that tomorrow, you could die, having fan service is like having an adaptation of Anne Frank with gigantic boobs, jiggling with unrealistic physics, shouting onee-chan in World War II with Hitler-chan.

I'm getting too old for that kind of shit.

And I still haven't ranted on enough about the awful birthmark on her armpit plot that WE, the audience already know!
 
May 9, 2014 6:42 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 732
Ammish said:
rasenshiruken973 said:
Clannad4evr said:
Hisio said:
I loved the first episodes, meh MAL does not have the same rating criteria as we do.
They are more into mainstream stuff :p

I completely agree. FMAB does not deserve #1


YEAH IKR!!!! The fact that FMAB is at the top and is about 0.6 ahead of Steins; Gate and Clannad After Story, when FMAB is in NO way perfect, nor is it particularly thought-provoking or mature (Ok sometimes it gets quite dark but there is a lot of misplaced humour that kills the atmosphere at times).
-


Okay... Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood is immature compared to... Clannad, which contained moe caricatures in the form of Fuuka and says "It's completely okay your wife dies, she'll be revived back with the magical fireflies of the world". I have no opinion on Steins;Gate as i have not seen it.

But immature compared to Clannad, really? I love Clannad as much as the next person, but Brotherhood doesn't make me facepalm as bad as Clannad. Brotherhood has tackled a lot of sensitive issues, including genocide, politics, rights of land, war crimes, alchemy taboo and various cultures.

Yes it is light-hearted at times, but I think it deserves those light-hearted moments to off-set the dark moments and it does pump the audience with hope as your characters strive to overcome the antagonists. Hell, even the despicable of characters like Wrath, Homoncolous/Father, Envy and Greed were made 'human' through character development such as fear, regret, love, etc.

Plus it is one of the few animes that focus on an adult cast of characters in addition to the current teenagers. I think in that regard, FMA: B has a lot of anime beaten for the fact that A. It tackles all those sensitive subjects. B. It's accessible to an audience beyond the otaku pandering, which really, Clannad does otaku pandering at times with its female-to-male ratio cast and C. It didn't act too much like an anime to begin with.

And I enjoy that. I think it should be near the top. I wouldn't say #1 (though if I'm biased, Monster should be #1), but in a contest between FMA:B and Brynhildr, FMA:B buries Brynhildr and all of its children.

The sex jokes are tastefully done, and not becoming the main focus at all. We had about 2 scenes of fan-service sex jokes so far. It's just a little something to enjoy that's why it's called FAN- SERVICE. This is the way fan service is meant to be done. I never understand why so many people hate any kind of fan service since mostly males watch anime like... why can't you just enjoy it o.o


In an anime about paranoia, urgency and the chance that tomorrow, you could die, having fan service is like having an adaptation of Anne Frank with gigantic boobs, jiggling with unrealistic physics, shouting onee-chan in World War II with Hitler-chan.

I'm getting too old for that kind of shit.

And I still haven't ranted on enough about the awful birthmark on her armpit plot that WE, the audience already know!


Yes Clannad is more mature than Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Why? Because can you imagine a 12 year old boy appreciating Clannad the same way as FMAB? No. The emotions in Clannad are so much more complex and well executed than anything in FMAB.
Also FMAB doesn't even have likeable characters. It's story is great I'll admit. But it's not challenging enough. Comparing to Clannad is too much bias for me, and they are completely different shows so you'll just get my opinion. If you watch Steins; Gate you'll see how pathetic FMAB is in comparison. Everything that FMAB has to offer, excluding animation quality, can be found in Steins; Gate with added extras, and executed a LOT better. In fact, Steins; Gate has more percentage of 10/10s than FMAB. So technically more people think it's a masterpiece so ha! :p

I don't hate FMAB btw I gave it 9/10 I just don't think it deserves to have such a ridiculously high score considering it's imperfections (failed humour, unlikable characters, convenient ending) compared to Steins; Gate.

"And I still haven't ranted on enough about the awful birthmark on her armpit plot that WE, the audience already know!"

Yes we know about it, but he doesn't because that witch was forced to reverse time... I still don't see the problem? That's just the way things happened... life is hard y'know.
 
May 9, 2014 7:40 PM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2008
Posts: 553
rasenshiruken973 said:

Yes Clannad is more mature than Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Why? Because can you imagine a 12 year old boy appreciating Clannad the same way as FMAB? No. The emotions in Clannad are so much more complex and well executed than anything in FMAB.


I'd argue that, and I admit Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is simpler on the surface and thus a wider audience can enjoy it, the more complex themes such as war crimes, genocide, politics, conspiracies, cultures, militarism and taboo in alchemy can be enjoyed by a much older audience.

That intrigues me more than Clannad. It's like comparing apple to oranges, but Clannad deals with growing up, adult life, being attached to your loved ones and losing them. These are human elements aspect of our daily life and we're attached to them.

FMA: B has all of those elements, just portrayed more subtle and is spanned over 64 episodes. A 12 year old will appreciate the surface of FMA: B, but not the same for Clannad I'll admit. But on a much deeper level, FMA:B to me has more substance than Clannad.

Plus Clannad has a lot of filler, such as the Fuuka plotline and the beginning of After Story which I can do without. But FMA:B has utilised every episode effectively. In fact, I wished it had more episodes to adapt the Ishbal conflict in its entirety.

There's a reason why I rated Clannad & AS 8 and 9 respectively, but I rated FMA:B 10/10. It also helps there are big, muscular old men and have a more adult cast than Clannad did and in the world of anime where adults and old men aren't focused on as much, it automatically gets a higher score because of it.

Also FMAB doesn't even have likeable characters. It's story is great I'll admit. But it's not challenging enough.


FMAB has plenty of likable characters. Edward has developed a lot over the course of the story. He developed more of an ethical stance and always pushes on to find another way. He has become much more mature and his sacrifice at the end of ridding of his alchemy to bring his brother back, and he was in love with Alchemy and dedicated his whole life to it, was touching and the best aspect.

Greed, Wrath and Envy were all despicable people, but they all showed 'human elements' and actually allowed us on another level to 'empathise' or 'sympathise' with them. It shows that even though they are representation of sin, they are more than that. I think great antagonist are even better when they are shown some elements of humanity. Even Johan, from Monster, was human and shown human elements such as care and empathy even though it was all pretend.

And the story, I thought was challenging, as in it deals with all of those issues such as war crime, genocide, politics, taboo and various cultures.

Comparing to Clannad is too much bias for me, and they are completely different shows so you'll just get my opinion.


They are different shows and it shouldn't be compared. But I argue that FMAB has more substance and quality than Clannad. That's my opinion.

If you watch Steins; Gate you'll see how pathetic FMAB is in comparison. Everything that FMAB has to offer, excluding animation quality, can be found in Steins; Gate with added extras, and executed a LOT better. In fact, Steins; Gate has more percentage of 10/10s than FMAB. So technically more people think it's a masterpiece so ha! :p


I'd argue that Steins;gate wouldn't have the elements I listed off, which is war crime, genocide... You get the gist. And I don't think it should be compared, but I appreciated a lot of FMA:B partly because it takes inspiration from WW2 Nazi Germany and talked about the sensitive issues that don't really get addressed a lot in the media, which is genocide and war crimes.

I don't hate FMAB btw I gave it 9/10 I just don't think it deserves to have such a ridiculously high score considering it's imperfections (failed humour, unlikable characters, convenient ending) compared to Steins; Gate.


I respect your opinion, but I disagree with those three points.

"And I still haven't ranted on enough about the awful birthmark on her armpit plot that WE, the audience already know!"

Yes we know about it, but he doesn't because that witch was forced to reverse time... I still don't see the problem? That's just the way things happened... life is hard y'know.


I find it an aspect of lazy writing because there is no 'point' in prolonging what we already know. Even if he knows, she doesn't and it would not change a thing. So why keep him in the dark? In fact, with that knowledge, he'd be more active in uncovering the truth and trying to help her recover the memories.

All it has done so far is dilly-dallying and took away from the plot to focus on another new character who is a walking pair of tits and sexual humour, which is not really my cup of tea and kinda detracts the severity of the situation. I'm not really a fan of male characters getting beaten up because of something sexual that was out of his control. In fact, I find the female-on-male sexual abuse for the sake of humour quite disgusting and sexist.

Plus it is juvenile in my opinion.
 
May 10, 2014 12:44 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 121
This anime is dark but for god knows reason, it has useless fanservice not to mention the fact that it's basically harem so giving it 7.5 is already a perfect choice.

Black Bullet is near 8 due to it being similar to Shingeki no Kyojin (humans can never work together even in near extinction, mysteries on the Gastrea linking to humans, amazingly smooth action and OST, etc.) and that most viewers already agreed that the adaptation is decent enough for them to judge that the plot twists will be delivered smoothly (that being said, it's not guaranteed that it will be 100% smooth adaptation).

Mahouka has 8 due to the complex universe setting which is kind of rare nowadays (Complex use of magic which means little to no magic plot convenience bull****). Opening song is also great as well as animation. Also same case with Black Bullet, adaptation is smooth enough to judge later episodes by only basing it on the LN.

P.S. The scores on current airing anime most of the time will be different when it ended due to various reasons (f**k ups, suddenly going original from the source, WTF nonsense moments, etc.) So don't rely on any score for any airing anime right now. Who knows, maybe this anime will got 8 by the end of the day.

P.P.S. TBH Gintama deserved No.1 spot. SCREW FMA B OR STEINS;GATE OR CLANNAD. ALL HAIL GINTAMA
Never judge an anime by it's cover/genre/setting/hype.
 
May 10, 2014 4:27 PM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 1563
Wind_God_Girl said:
This anime is dark but for god knows reason, it has useless fanservice not to mention the fact that it's basically harem so giving it 7.5 is already a perfect choice.

Your signature: "Never judge an anime by it's cover/genre/setting."
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
 
May 10, 2014 4:29 PM

Offline
Joined: Apr 2013
Posts: 11429
Minagatachi said:
Wind_God_Girl said:
This anime is dark but for god knows reason, it has useless fanservice not to mention the fact that it's basically harem so giving it 7.5 is already a perfect choice.

Your signature: "Never judge an anime by it's cover/genre/setting."


Plus a series being a harem doesn't make automatically it not good. It's only a minus when the harem aspect is unease carry and takes away from the story/view experience.

Series that are often praised like Steins;Gate and monogatari are harems as well
 
May 11, 2014 4:20 AM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 732
Ammish said:
rasenshiruken973 said:

Yes Clannad is more mature than Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. Why? Because can you imagine a 12 year old boy appreciating Clannad the same way as FMAB? No. The emotions in Clannad are so much more complex and well executed than anything in FMAB.


I'd argue that, and I admit Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood is simpler on the surface and thus a wider audience can enjoy it, the more complex themes such as war crimes, genocide, politics, conspiracies, cultures, militarism and taboo in alchemy can be enjoyed by a much older audience.

That intrigues me more than Clannad. It's like comparing apple to oranges, but Clannad deals with growing up, adult life, being attached to your loved ones and losing them. These are human elements aspect of our daily life and we're attached to them.


See that's the difference "war crimes, genocide, politics, conspiracies, cultures, militarism and taboo in alchemy" - most of that stuff doesn't interest me.

But " growing up, adult life, being attached to your loved ones and losing them" this definitely does. I guess it's just a matter of taste then.

More people are attracted by the former than the latter. I guess that's why it's rated higher. I can accept that, but I'm still not happy about it being SO much higher. I can accept 0.2 higher but no more. But who am I to argue with stats? There are many things that determine it...


Plus Clannad has a lot of filler, such as the Fuuka plotline and the beginning of After Story which I can do without. But FMA:B has utilised every episode effectively. In fact, I wished it had more episodes to adapt the Ishbal conflict in its entirety.


I watched Clannad series a long time ago so I don't remember half of the arcs. But I don't think there was a single episode that was wasted. Clannad was consistently funny and I'm not one who laughs easily. And when it wasn't being comedic it was tearing at my emotions...


There's a reason why I rated Clannad & AS 8 and 9 respectively, but I rated FMA:B 10/10. It also helps there are big, muscular old men and have a more adult cast than Clannad did and in the world of anime where adults and old men aren't focused on as much, it automatically gets a higher score because of it.


I loved Psycho-Pass which is devoid of any moe or immature young characters. So it's not like I don't like seeing all adult cast in anime. And actually, Psycho-Pass is a lot deeper and mature than FMAB imo. HxH 2011 has a lot of adult cast. I'm on episode 72 and so far only 3 children out of dozens of adult cast. Spice and Wolf - adult cast. So I don't think it's that rare as you say.

Also FMAB doesn't even have likeable characters. Its story is great I'll admit. But it's not challenging enough.



FMAB has plenty of likable characters. Edward has developed a lot over the course of the story. He developed more of an ethical stance and always pushes on to find another way. He has become much more mature and his sacrifice at the end of ridding of his alchemy to bring his brother back, and he was in love with Alchemy and dedicated his whole life to it, was touching and the best aspect.

Greed, Wrath and Envy were all despicable people, but they all showed 'human elements' and actually allowed us on another level to 'empathise' or 'sympathise' with them. It shows that even though they are representation of sin, they are more than that. I think great antagonist are even better when they are shown some elements of humanity. Even Johan, from Monster, was human and shown human elements such as care and empathy even though it was all pretend.


I don't tend to like stuff with brothers tbh. I can't relate to it at all. That's another reason the show doesn't stand out to me. I also found Ed to be quite annoying at times. Actually yes there were likeable characters I'll admit. I sympathised a lot with Hoenheim, and the Ishivalan guy. Maybe I'm thinking back on only the bad too much, I mean there had to be a good reason I rated it 9/10 so I must have liked some of the characters at least!

Thank you for arguing your opinions maturely - it's so hard to have a proper balanced debate on the forums without someone resorting to insults and ending the dispute with "and you've got this anime and that anime in your favourites LOL!".


I find it an aspect of lazy writing because there is no 'point' in prolonging what we already know. Even if he knows, she doesn't and it would not change a thing. So why keep him in the dark? In fact, with that knowledge, he'd be more active in uncovering the truth and trying to help her recover the memories.

All it has done so far is dilly-dallying and took away from the plot to focus on another new character who is a walking pair of tits and sexual humour, which is not really my cup of tea and kinda detracts the severity of the situation. I'm not really a fan of male characters getting beaten up because of something sexual that was out of his control. In fact, I find the female-on-male sexual abuse for the sake of humour quite disgusting and sexist.

Plus it is juvenile in my opinion.


Yes the males getting beaten up for something sexual that isn't even their fault does get pretty annoying for me too. That's the worst kind of fan service that I don't like. However, I believe the pre-opening scene in episode 5 where she punches him and all you see is the blood on the floor I thought that was hilarious. But I agree with you - 95% of the time it's not funny you just end up feeling bad for the guy getting beat up. It's an overdone stereotype that all men are perverts.
It is sexist I agree. But in this particular show I have no problem with it.
 
May 19, 2014 1:22 AM

Offline
Joined: Jan 2014
Posts: 121
Cupquake said:
Minagatachi said:
Wind_God_Girl said:
This anime is dark but for god knows reason, it has useless fanservice not to mention the fact that it's basically harem so giving it 7.5 is already a perfect choice.

Your signature: "Never judge an anime by it's cover/genre/setting."


Plus a series being a harem doesn't make automatically it not good. It's only a minus when the harem aspect is unease carry and takes away from the story/view experience.

Series that are often praised like Steins;Gate and monogatari are harems as well


Yeah, forgot to say that the harem in this show is not needed. Some harem is really really good, but this? Nope. It's bad. 7.5 is already more than enough.
Never judge an anime by it's cover/genre/setting/hype.
 
May 19, 2014 1:56 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2012
Posts: 51
Those that complain about show breaking plot holes a few eps in I believe are delusional or just looking for problems. Many shows do this(Steins Gate) but give it time to fill them in. If and only if the show ends and you can go back and scratch your head in confusion can you say plot holes hold relevance. Give it time before you start to exploit problems on a show that's not even finished.
 
May 19, 2014 2:03 AM

Offline
Joined: Jul 2013
Posts: 2270
Because it's an average show? I think 7.5 is more than enough.. it has intriguing enough story although the fights are so far really lacking and there were some glaring plot holes.

I notice that it's easier for newer series (2011 onwards) to have higher rating in MAL even if it's actually really average, case in point with Noragami and NGNL in the 8+ region whereas I believe had those been older shows they would only be in the 7.3-7.8 max. It probably has to do with growing numbers of people in MAL and anime becoming more and more accessible than ever (there are TONS of subbers releasing anime hours after it aired as opposed to older series where you often have to wait weeks to get a decent sub). A lot of new anime viewers tend to easily give 9s or 10s to any anime as long as it's flashy enough (I know cos I used to be like that XD). I noticed this from watching a lot of older shows and reading old topics here.

I'm sure it's the same case with this anime as you can consider this very generic compared to other anime in the same genre. Personally I think this deserves 7.3 at best but at the end of the day ratings in MAL are very unreliable. I've seen too many great shows ending with 6 or low 6 simply because people tend to judge ill after only 1-2 episodes. Astarotte no Omocha is the best example because a lot of people rated it low/dropped it on the first episode due to loli fan service and "inappropriate premise" although the rest of the anime actually deals with touching reconciliation between parent and children (the so-called inappropriate premise was barely addressed if at all) and it became clear that it deserves a much higher rating.
 
May 20, 2014 5:59 PM

Offline
Joined: Aug 2013
Posts: 732
jiraiya_sensei said:
Because it's an average show? I think 7.5 is more than enough.. it has intriguing enough story although the fights are so far really lacking and there were some glaring plot holes.

I notice that it's easier for newer series (2011 onwards) to have higher rating in MAL even if it's actually really average, case in point with Noragami and NGNL in the 8+ region whereas I believe had those been older shows they would only be in the 7.3-7.8 max. It probably has to do with growing numbers of people in MAL and anime becoming more and more accessible than ever (there are TONS of subbers releasing anime hours after it aired as opposed to older series where you often have to wait weeks to get a decent sub). A lot of new anime viewers tend to easily give 9s or 10s to any anime as long as it's flashy enough (I know cos I used to be like that XD). I noticed this from watching a lot of older shows and reading old topics here.

I'm sure it's the same case with this anime as you can consider this very generic compared to other anime in the same genre. Personally I think this deserves 7.3 at best but at the end of the day ratings in MAL are very unreliable. I've seen too many great shows ending with 6 or low 6 simply because people tend to judge ill after only 1-2 episodes. Astarotte no Omocha is the best example because a lot of people rated it low/dropped it on the first episode due to loli fan service and "inappropriate premise" although the rest of the anime actually deals with touching reconciliation between parent and children (the so-called inappropriate premise was barely addressed if at all) and it became clear that it deserves a much higher rating.


What you say about new viewers being impressed easily by anything as long as it's flashy I think that's true. I was never like that though. I'm one of those people who despises "The Avengers" movie that I think most people love because of that very reason. I won't go into that tho since statistically you probably love that moronic (no offense xD) movie :p

Added Astarotte no Omocha to PTW list thanks it sounds good and I don't mind loli fan service one bit so if it has a good story beyond that then I'm all up for it. I think same thing happened with OreImo about people hating season 2 because they didn't get their favourite pairing but they are too superficial and don't get the deeper meanings. It's very easy to be influenced in what I watch by the ratings and sadly some great series fall under the radar because of all sorts of silly superficial reasons :(
 
Jun 2, 2014 5:09 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 226
neehow said:
You claim you want to know why people dislike this anime. Well here you go;
1) Harem

And on the first reason I understand you are one of those guys/gals belonging to the morality police... By the way, there's no harem here, there is indeed a group of modified girls that try to keep together in order to survive, and a guy that wants to help them since one of them reminds him of a old friend that died.

The only attempted romantic development besides the MC and Kuroha is a from one girl that is jealous of his devotion. does this counts as a harem by your standards??


neehow said:
2) Ecchi elements

Again with the morality police complains... do you know what is real ecchi elements?? I suggest you watch shows like Highschool D&D, To love Ru, Kämpfer, among others... How I miss the KissxSis show... now that was real extreme ecchi crossing to borderline hentai!!

Anyway, in this show you have a girl that show a bellybutton and others that show their bikinis while on the beach or pool... great ecchi indeed >_<


neehow said:
3) Mediocre story

I really didn't want to discuss this, but you really think that this story is mediocre??? Then please tell me, what do you think of shows like Blade & Soul or Seikoku no Dragonar??

Hell, I know that it's a matter of opinion, but in my book any anime that has:


* a consistent plot that keeps on developing and its not stagnant
* a story that leaves you wondering who will survive and how will they survive
* a story that makes you wonder who is gonna be their next opponent and what powers will they exhibit
* who despite giving you a antagonist, leaves you wondering who is pulling the strings from behind
* a story that basically pulls your attention every week


Cannot be considered a story with mediocre plot!

neehow said:
4) Low budget animation

Now I don't want to be a part of the animation control team, however even though I admit that the animation for this show could be way better, truth is that between this animation and the animation of shows like Mekakucity Actors which very clearly uses and reuses the same drawings to animate a great part of the scenes in each episode, I prefer this one... Sorry but seeing the same overboard shaft animation 10 times in a 2 minutes scene is kinda boring in my opinion

Long story short, you just proved you are nothing but a poor little damsel that is criticizing a lot of anime stories (yeah I've seen you on the other threads too) just cause you feel.... embarrassed (I believe this is a good word to describe the situation) over a girl bellybutton, while at the same time you aren't even able to make a analysis with a distant and cold perspective.

By the way, even if the anime had in fact real ecchi scenes, a very strong harem and keeped the current animation, it would still have a great plot behind so, I for one hope this changes happen in order for you to drop it and stop commenting on it



Edit: typo
Modified by DarkMoonWolf, Jun 2, 2014 5:54 PM
Personal tastes are like peoples behinds, each one has its own,
and only those who wants to find [...] will smell one another.

 
Jun 2, 2014 7:13 PM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 226
thank you but since english isn't my first language and it's already 3am I read the first sentence about Kuroha (which we actually already knew since the battle with the time reversal witch) then reported spoiler and ignored the rest... too tired to translate to portuguese...

About the colors, well check some of the threads you've been spamming hatred and you'll see I always do this... I would advise starting by No Game No Life since it's in my honest opinion one of the two best shows of this year spring anime season - by the way, Bokura wa Minna Kawaisou is the other one, but you could see my anime list and figure it out by the rating I gave -, and consequently the one where I comment the most.

As for this story I said before that it's interesting and it's getting me curious, but nothing more than that... sorry!!!

For your information this is the color scheme I use to facilitate the reading of my usual wall of text:


quote=red
other anime shows=bold and italic or just italic
my text=grey

Pointers or alerts (like spoiler warnings)=blue or green depending on the spotlight I wanna give


Edit: explaining my squemes a little more clearly
Modified by DarkMoonWolf, Jun 2, 2014 7:22 PM
Personal tastes are like peoples behinds, each one has its own,
and only those who wants to find [...] will smell one another.

 
Jun 3, 2014 4:35 AM

Offline
Joined: Nov 2013
Posts: 226
neehow said:
I just copied and pasted that spoiler from somewhere JOKES ON YOU TOPKEK I didn't even read it HAHAHAHAHHAAAAA.

So much effort man gets you nowhere.

hummm seems like you answered after I went to bed yesterday...

Let's see... are you trolling talking about the html codes I use...??
lol if I didn't want to have the work of setting them the way I like, I wouldn't even have the will to answer...

In fact, each time I answer the BBcode is already implanted in my basic answers, just like writing in english instead of portuguese... have you ever heard of conditional response?? It's a interesting automatic reflex you acquire over time by conditioning your mind to it. For example, since my times in World of Warcraft, I conditioned myself to never give the speech and language that trolls like you use too much importance, in fact I usually prefer to keep on giving them rope and then smile to myself when I see them hang themselves...


So like I said before, I doesn't bother me that I have this work of using html codes since it's already automatically programmed in my mind...

By the way what the hell is "TOPKEK"???? I'll admit I was so curious I checked Google... and apparently is a shortcake filled with chocolate!!!

How sweet of you... are you saying that I'm fluffy and sweet like a chocolate cake?? Well sorry to disappoint you again little troll but you won't buy me with those lines... besides, truth is I'm not a fan of chocolate... sorry....


*wink*
*wink*



Edit: typo
Modified by DarkMoonWolf, Jun 3, 2014 7:31 AM
Personal tastes are like peoples behinds, each one has its own,
and only those who wants to find [...] will smell one another.

 
Top
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »