Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Apr 27, 2014 5:23 PM

Aug 2009
The whole kitten caboodle. Is it good at all, and does it come to some sort of conclusion with the romance or does it stay as a harem?
Apr 27, 2014 5:50 PM

Mar 2014
I have not watched the original series but I enjoyed tenchi muyo: war on geminar a lot more than I should have. There is a lot of fan service, but what I loved about it was the incredibly overpowered MC Kenshi. If your not a fan of barely developed Gary sue characters then this is probably not for you, but watching stupidly awesome characters kicking ass and taking names is a guilty pleasure of mine.
But that's just one opinion.
Apr 27, 2014 6:00 PM

Oct 2013
Yep, it's I will say a 7/10 good series.
Apr 27, 2014 6:00 PM

Apr 2010
The original OVA series was decent. The spin-offs, not so much. Except War on Geminar, which imo, is probably the best of the series.
I don't believe any of them have a conclusive romance choosing, but it's been eons since I've watched the spin-offs.
Apr 29, 2014 9:27 AM

Apr 2013
TENCHIIII!!!! This was one of my favorite series from the old Toonami days and introduced me to harems. The first 2 original OVA seasons are good while the last is a bit incoherent at times (I'm still a fan youth). The best overall series is Tenchi Universe which has the most continuous and coherent 26 episode storyline, and, most importantly, plenty of Kiyone. War on Geminar is the best spinoff and is probably better in quality than all of the original series. It's a definite watch in my book.
Apr 29, 2014 1:13 PM

Apr 2010
Thread moved

Thread moved to Shin Tenchi Muyo! board.
May 6, 2015 8:40 AM

Jun 2014
I'd say the whole Tenchi series were average at best and overrated. Isekai Sekeishi no Monogatari was the only good one.
Sep 17, 2016 7:34 PM

Oct 2010
The original OVAs and Tenchi Universe are great. War on Geminar / Isekai no Seikishi Monogatari is garbage.

Well, y'know, what's a fanbase without unhelpfully conflicting opinions? ;)

But it seems I can be the first to actually answer your main question:

dakotasapphire said:
Does it come to some sort of conclusion with the romance or does it stay as a harem?

There are several different alternate universes or timelines, which means each can have a different conclusion. Unfortunately for me, I've never been happy with any of their endings, and nowadays I'm more keen on shoujo romance than Tenchi... anyway, your guide:

The original OVA (see also its sequel OVAs). Aired in USA as simply "Tenchi Muyo!"
https://myanimelist.net/anime/539/Tenchi_Muyou_Ryououki

It never reached a conclusion. The fourth OVA is now in production.

Tenchi Universe.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/696/Tenchi_Muyou

Ends with what to me felt like an out-of-the-blue victor. It's okay, I guess, but it felt wrong when I was 12 and still does now that I'm almost 29. On the other hand I loved the dub's accompanying cheeseball song "Dimension of Love" then, and still love it now.

I do know one female fan of Tenchi Universe (I'm not sure about the other series) in real life. She says she likes it "because it's hilarious," just like why I enjoyed Ouran Koukou Host Club. On the other hand I don't think I've ever seen a girl-harem anime of "serious" quality equivalent to, say, Fruits Basket. Well, Clannad is technically a harem, but it doesn't really get good until it stops being one.

Tenchi in Tokyo.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/538/Shin_Tenchi_Muyou

The top review spoils who the victor is, but that's fine because she actually seems at least somewhat comparable to a shoujo audience-insert girl. I hated the show when I saw it for the same reasons the reviewer describes, but their take on it makes me think again. Maybe I'll appreciate it more when I rewatch it.

The spinoff Tenchi Muyo! GXP has a "conclusive ending," but not the kind you'd want:

EDIT: I should add, my favorite thing about Tenchi (all three main series) is the worldbuilding and its living tech. Jurai and its tree-ships are majestic. Ryo-Ohki is a cute cabbit (cat-rabbit) who turns into a spaceship. No other anime has ever had an animal companion that turns into a spaceship, at least according to TV Tropes. See the Anime/Manga section here: http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/LivingShip
nDroaeSep 17, 2016 7:58 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tenchi in Tokyo Episode 26 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 11, 2013

6 by Ilfracombe »»
Nov 19, 2023 6:47 PM

Poll: » Tenchi in Tokyo Episode 24 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 11, 2013

3 by Ilfracombe »»
Nov 16, 2023 3:38 PM

Poll: » Tenchi in Tokyo Episode 16 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2013

4 by Ilfracombe »»
Oct 18, 2023 6:19 PM

Poll: » Tenchi in Tokyo Episode 10 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 10, 2013

4 by Ilfracombe »»
Sep 15, 2023 4:43 PM

Poll: » Tenchi in Tokyo Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 9, 2013

3 by security_desu »»
Aug 23, 2022 9:18 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.