Forum Settings
Forums
Poll: Momotarou: Umi no Shinpei Episode 1 Discussion

Apr 26, 2014 11:46 AM

THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
well that was a fun little watch.

I loved the part where the guy used his arms to fly, old animation is always trying something unique.
The movie was clearly propaganda though, on many occasions.

On a technical note, those backgrounds are damn well animated for the movies time.

Nov 7, 2014 10:05 AM

Pretty nice sequel and quite nice musical/song parts I must say, still nice to see some other perspective propaganda for the second world war and to see some really nice yet old animation techniques! This sure wasn't bad!

Dec 23, 2014 9:18 AM

As an Indonesian, it was funny to see the movie trying to potray that the Japanese was worshiped by the locals. Lol. Okay.

The animation wasn't that bad. The jumping off the planes with parachutes scene was pretty epic. And a bit history of Goa Kingdom in Sulawesi island was also mentioned. Nice.

Sep 26, 2015 2:39 PM
This one is easy to follow and the animation is good, recommended for anyone who would take a peek at something more older.

Oct 5, 2016 1:48 AM
Film restoration: could've done much better with modern deflickering & despeckle/scratch filters, or manual touchups. Some shots way too dark could easily brighten it.
Seems like a wartime SOL, events randomly arranged with no transition. But each has a interesting focus, saving the hat, lecture song, prep for war, recon maps, Goa, flight etc.

English was surprisingly fine... what are engrish va's in 2016 doing?
Besides usual old age anim techniques, lots of loops but generally better & natural than Omocha Bako 1936, tweening floating/wobbles, the budget & smoothness was fantastic. Some of the best animated water drops, parachuting. And crowd (eg +5 animals all moving in frame) fully animated on 2s, which we almost never get in modern shows. Makes the cute tigers more lively & epic. There's lots of daring use of perspective motion (tho scaling's quite exaggerated), that's hard to animat & also rarely exist now.
The animals are quite charming & "moe" in their own way, wish more animals return to current shows.

Feb 19, 2017 3:11 AM

This is good in the sense of being a time piece. It made me look into the timeline of WWII to better understand the propaganda.

The film is clearly dated, but it is the first anime movie, so I think it's worth checking out in that regard. I also like the music in it. However, the animation is a tad creepy to me, and the old quality with little dialog is boring the majority of the time. I'm not sure this would convince me to be for the war. (To be fair, nothing for the United States today in different forms makes me want to join the military or completely for war.)

Still, it was better than some other anime made in recent years, which is kind of ridiculous.
3/10, keeping in mind I'm not afraid of rating things 1s or 2s.

Nov 19, 2018 2:56 PM

They sure made the Europeans goofy as hell, it was so hilarious. When they surrendered I cried with laughter, especially the part where even Popeye had to surrender with a finished spinach.

What can you say, it was a propaganda anime and aimed encouraging the Japanese morale during the war. But either way I enjoyed it very much, even the Goa kingdom insert.

I loved the animation and the musical on this one, especially the alphabet song. 7/10.
"You know the rules, kill them all and keep moving "--- Lil Wayne- John