Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 26, 2014 11:46 AM

Apr 2013
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
well that was a fun little watch.

I loved the part where the guy used his arms to fly, old animation is always trying something unique.
The movie was clearly propaganda though, on many occasions.

On a technical note, those backgrounds are damn well animated for the movies time.
Nov 7, 2014 10:05 AM

May 2012
Pretty nice sequel and quite nice musical/song parts I must say, still nice to see some other perspective propaganda for the second world war and to see some really nice yet old animation techniques! This sure wasn't bad!
Dec 23, 2014 9:18 AM

Jun 2013
As an Indonesian, it was funny to see the movie trying to potray that the Japanese was worshiped by the locals. Lol. Okay.

The animation wasn't that bad. The jumping off the planes with parachutes scene was pretty epic. And a bit history of Goa Kingdom in Sulawesi island was also mentioned. Nice.
Sep 26, 2015 2:39 PM

Nov 2008
This one is easy to follow and the animation is good, recommended for anyone who would take a peek at something more older.
Oct 5, 2016 1:48 AM
Mar 2012
Film restoration: could've done much better with modern deflickering & despeckle/scratch filters, or manual touchups. Some shots way too dark could easily brighten it.
Seems like a wartime SOL, events randomly arranged with no transition. But each has a interesting focus, saving the hat, lecture song, prep for war, recon maps, Goa, flight etc.

English was surprisingly fine... what are engrish va's in 2016 doing?
Besides usual old age anim techniques, lots of loops but generally better & natural than Omocha Bako 1936, tweening floating/wobbles, the budget & smoothness was fantastic. Some of the best animated water drops, parachuting. And crowd (eg +5 animals all moving in frame) fully animated on 2s, which we almost never get in modern shows. Makes the cute tigers more lively & epic. There's lots of daring use of perspective motion (tho scaling's quite exaggerated), that's hard to animat & also rarely exist now.
The animals are quite charming & "moe" in their own way, wish more animals return to current shows.
Feb 19, 2017 3:11 AM

Aug 2007
This is good in the sense of being a time piece. It made me look into the timeline of WWII to better understand the propaganda.

The film is clearly dated, but it is the first anime movie, so I think it's worth checking out in that regard. I also like the music in it. However, the animation is a tad creepy to me, and the old quality with little dialog is boring the majority of the time. I'm not sure this would convince me to be for the war. (To be fair, nothing for the United States today in different forms makes me want to join the military or completely for war.)

Still, it was better than some other anime made in recent years, which is kind of ridiculous.
3/10, keeping in mind I'm not afraid of rating things 1s or 2s.

Nov 19, 2018 2:56 PM

Oct 2015
They sure made the Europeans goofy as hell, it was so hilarious. When they surrendered I cried with laughter, especially the part where even Popeye had to surrender with a finished spinach.

What can you say, it was a propaganda anime and aimed encouraging the Japanese morale during the war. But either way I enjoyed it very much, even the Goa kingdom insert.

I loved the animation and the musical on this one, especially the alphabet song. 7/10.
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Jun 19, 2019 8:10 AM

Dec 2014
Obviously problematic due to the most blatant propaganda. It did have some interesting direction that later influenced Osamu Tezuka.

And as per usual for propaganda the film portrayed every situation in the most unhistoric and fantastical way possible. There was the occupation of the island of Java shown by the animals getting educated and indoctrinated by the japanese soldier. Not sure why they depicted the geography on the world map so blatantly wrong, as Goa isn't an island but a indian federal state. The negotiation at the end of the movie was based on the negotiations after the japanese army (under Tomoyuki Yamashita) won the Battle of Singapore and defeated the english army to further colonize Asia where the general was then celebrated as a hero of war. Plus some other historical events. Even Franklin D. Roosevelt and Winston Churchill made a short appearence at about 53:17.

Besides the mythical creature Momotaro, who was born from a peach seed, and his companions consisting of a dog, a pheasent and a monkey, there was also other smaller visual details like the english generals having one Oni horn on their head.

The animation was stylistically similar to other works from that time period (e.g. Suteneko Tora-chan) as in there is always movement which makes it seem very unnatural and at times just straight up ugly. Although animation were for the most part very smooth there was always movement all across the screen which got especially bad in close ups of faces.

At the end of the day it's a propaganda movie that was directed by somebody who was forced to do it. The movie lacks any kind of soul and is so pungant with its message that basically everything else falls flat. But then again, there is no good propaganda.
This movie is interesting as a historical retrospect for anybody that studies japanese history.
HiroM_Jun 20, 2019 3:36 PM
Dec 12, 2019 12:21 PM

Sep 2017
I don't have much to say about this. The art and sound were OKAY, and I don't have anything to compare them to from the general time frame so I'll assume this was average. However, between the awful and incoherent story with seemingly no flow or sense of direction and the complete lack of character development, this was a very boring way to spend an hour and fifteen minutes. 4/10.

Dec 28, 2019 2:11 AM

Jul 2007
This film was considered a true masterpiece and was a major inspiration for so many creators such as the god father of Japanese manga and anime Osama tezuka and Legends, Ishinamori and Leiji Matsumuto. The two boys that sat in a theater watching this would go on to become seminal figures in the postwar revival of Japanese comics and anime. They carried with them seeds of the craft and artistry that proceeded the war, transmitted through this film as well as "Spider and Tulip"

Kenzo Masaoka and Mitsuyo SEO took on students who became the founding leaders of Nihon Doga, the starting point of post war animation that was later known as TOIE animation and Studio Ghibli.

This film created by such legends that spear headed the evolution of anime can not be understated just how influential these pieces of historical media are in the industry.

Feb 11, 2020 3:59 PM

Nov 2017
I know its propaganda and all that, but I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I expected. I was mainly interested in watching it given its history and the fact that it is the 1st feature-length anime film, but I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

It had very little actual war and the little animals were enjoyable to watch. The art was also very good, especially for the time period!
Feb 9, 2021 11:43 AM

Apr 2010
Welp, you know one has reached peak weebdom when you have started watching wartime propaganda.
Feb 23, 2021 2:15 PM

May 2020
Shamiyanah said:
I know its propaganda and all that, but I enjoyed this movie a lot more than I expected. I was mainly interested in watching it given its history and the fact that it is the 1st feature-length anime film, but I actually enjoyed it quite a lot.

It had very little actual war and the little animals were enjoyable to watch. The art was also very good, especially for the time period!

I thought "Tie Shan Gongzhu" from "Jan 1, 1941" was the first anime film.
https://myanimelist.net/anime/9521/Tie_Shan_Gongzhu
Feb 23, 2021 3:46 PM

Nov 2017
citosiul said:

Ah, I was referring to "Japanese anime", as opposed to "Chinese anime/donghua(?)" I suppose I should have been more specific, hehe.
Feb 23, 2021 7:06 PM

May 2020
Shamiyanah said:
citosiul said:

Ah, I was referring to "Japanese anime", as opposed to "Chinese anime/donghua(?)" I suppose I should have been more specific, hehe.

Ah I thought that was the case but you can never be too sure when it's just text and I thought clarifying it for myself and others would be nice.
May 7, 2021 1:55 PM
Oct 2020
Well Momotaro is slowly becoming an iconic character, and honestly this was better than a history lesson
Jul 10, 2021 8:15 AM

May 2017
HiroM_ said:

Not sure why they depicted the geography on the world map so blatantly wrong, as Goa isn't an island but a indian federal state.

Wrong Goa. The Goa depicted in this is a sultanate in the Indonesian islands which was conquered by the Dutch.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sultanate_of_Gowa
Oct 29, 2021 1:41 AM

Apr 2019
I found this film somewhat uninteresting, which is why I got a bit lost in certain parts. I only watched this film for its historical and artistic value.
The best thing about this movie is the fantastic animation. It is basically 01:14:00 of pure Sakuga.

The funny thing was Popeye appearing towards the end of the movie.
Oct 7, 2023 1:59 PM

Jul 2017
the negotiations at the end got me laughing hard.
𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓎
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓎
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ𝐿𝒾𝒻𝑒 𝒾𝓈 𝒿𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓎 (ᐢ..ᐢ)
ㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤㅤ »[𝒥𝓊𝓈𝓉 𝒶 𝓂𝑒𝓂𝑜𝓇𝓎]«

More topics from this board

» subbed

Rage_Beat06 - Nov 26, 2021

0 by Rage_Beat06 »»
Nov 26, 2021 9:28 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.