Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Mushishi
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Apr 26, 2014 12:14 PM

Jun 2009
That forest, wow—so dark, so crooked, so unsettling. The ominous tone and opaque palette matched perfectly the scene with the crows.

In the end, the hunter becomes the hunted. Even so, Tatsu losing his arm was a small price to pay in comparison to what both he and his little brother would’ve suffered otherwise. It was for the best.

Heh, a nervous Ginko is such a sight. ;w;
I think, then procrastinate.
Therefore, I am.
Apr 26, 2014 12:24 PM

Aug 2012
Zapredon said:
emeraldrosary said:
Zapredon said:
Is the father still alive?

Yes, according to Ginko, the father is still lost wandering the mountains. Ginko said that he lost his body and soul so I guess that means he's an invisible shell. If you had the golden sake from episode 1 you could probably see him since he has transferred into the Mushi world.

I guess it's impossible to bring the father back since the episode ended without any plan tor rescue the father.
I loved that he fell into the mushi world, when it showed him starting to fade away that's what I was hoping would happen. He lost his shadow, and eventually became invisible to the ordinary eye, becoming the ultimate hunter. That desire manifesting and nearly peaking in Tatsu was the best part of the episode...well until the birds, that was just something else. I won't be forgetting this episode any time soon.
Apr 26, 2014 1:06 PM

Sep 2013
The episodes just get better and better. I was so relieved when Ginko said there was a cure. I get so depressed when there is no cure (I'm in despair!). I'm happy Ginko had more screen time and I could hear his beautiful voice.
Apr 26, 2014 1:28 PM
Mar 2013
AlexTheRiot said:
Zapredon said:
emeraldrosary said:
Zapredon said:
Is the father still alive?

Yes, according to Ginko, the father is still lost wandering the mountains. Ginko said that he lost his body and soul so I guess that means he's an invisible shell. If you had the golden sake from episode 1 you could probably see him since he has transferred into the Mushi world.

I guess it's impossible to bring the father back since the episode ended without any plan tor rescue the father.
I loved that he fell into the mushi world, when it showed him starting to fade away that's what I was hoping would happen. He lost his shadow, and eventually became invisible to the ordinary eye, becoming the ultimate hunter. That desire manifesting and nearly peaking in Tatsu was the best part of the episode...well until the birds, that was just something else. I won't be forgetting this episode any time soon.
I totally agree with you. Tatsu's father really is the king of the mountain now.

The way the birds attacked Tatsu reminded me of several things. First off, it was symbolic in the sense that the hunter is now becoming the hunted. And secondly, it could be karma since he killed animals that he didn't need.
Apr 26, 2014 1:28 PM

Jan 2008
Definitely the best episode so far. Loved the dark atmosphere and OST, esp the ED.
Apr 26, 2014 2:36 PM
Apr 2014
This episode didn't resonate as heavily as it did for me for previous episodes, but that hardly matters, it gets a perfect 10/10 out of me. The art is beyond fantastic, the characters are likable, I felt how unsettling this episode was. Amazing, it is like one of those old folk tales, that teaches children and adults alike.
Apr 26, 2014 3:11 PM

Mar 2009
Everyone keeps losing body parts! O__O

This season's brutal.
Apr 26, 2014 5:23 PM

May 2012
Great episode, especially loving the soundtrack in this entire series. It always fits with each episode.
I'm guessing his shadow separated from him and is now in the mushi world.
Apr 27, 2014 1:08 AM

Oct 2009
Wow this was masterful, the dark atmosphere and the eerie feeling was just right. Such a brilliant OST. Probably my favorite episode so far.
Apr 27, 2014 4:48 AM
Jun 2013
Interesting, this episode felt much more like a ghost story than any of the other Mushishi episodes so far. Even the background art and lighting sometimes abandoned the down-to-earth realism to get (somewhat) stylized and "dark". Overall, I enjoyed the classical horror feel this episode had.

I actually thought the birds would eat him, and in all honesty - that would have fit the tone and message of the episode. I'm still glad he survived though.

And Ginko now played an active part in the story, as I know some people complained about his lack of involvement in Ep 1-3. Not that I minded it too much myself.
Apr 27, 2014 8:21 AM

Oct 2013
It was a good episode but I liked the first three episodes more than this one.

I think this episode was quite dark as how it ended and kinda bittersweet. At one point, I thought this would be the first sad episode of the sequel but I'm glad Tatsu survived.

It could have been better if Tatsu had decided to stop hunting animals and find a better work but I guess he still needs to know to make a living.

Poor him, he lost a hand but he regained his senses for now and with this, the brothers would be living happily.

Overall okay episode, I can't wait for next ep! ^^
Apr 27, 2014 10:27 AM

Apr 2012
This episode felt so different from the entire series. It had a lot of tension in it's atmosphere and Ginko himself was more tense than usual. The shadow play in this episode was amazing too.
Apr 27, 2014 3:10 PM

Nov 2011
That was really dark in comparison to before.
Got shivers in the scene with the huge flock of birds heading straight for Tatsu.

Great that he lived though so he doesn't leave his little brother alone, but man he got shot, fell and even got ravaged by the birds, I thought he might have been a goner.

Good episode, big difference from the others, but it was still a good difference.
Touch me, you filthy casual~
Apr 27, 2014 4:10 PM
Apr 27, 2014 10:44 PM

Nov 2013
easily the best episode of the season so far. Loved every minute of it. So much Ginko too!!!
Apr 28, 2014 8:52 PM

Aug 2011
Man that was terrifying and beautiful. That last bit of the scariest monster being "man" was kinda scary (At least that is what I got out of it).
Apr 29, 2014 6:18 AM

Nov 2010
That was really nice.
the last scene was funny and interesting.
Apr 29, 2014 7:46 AM

Nov 2010
That predating Mushi was scary
It was an impressive scene when Tatsu was hurt and the crows started to hunt the Mushi on his right arm
Apr 29, 2014 10:05 AM

Aug 2011
I really loved the dark themes of this episode. Tatsu grew up fearing his father might kill him and his brother one day, and after he died he ended up inadvertently becoming him so that he would never have to be a victim again. And then he says he doesn't want to be the person he is now. It's a very realistic portrayal of abuse. Also,this episode dealt with how fear can lead people to lash out, and how power can corrupt people.

Mushishi is such a great series, I wish this was more popular.
May 1, 2014 3:19 AM

Dec 2012
And with this episode we have a return of the eerie side of Mushishi.

Once again loved the aesthetics - the colours, and art, and music...well everything!
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

May 1, 2014 4:49 AM

Sep 2008
SilverDemon said:
I really loved the dark themes of this episode. Tatsu grew up fearing his father might kill him and his brother one day, and after he died he ended up inadvertently becoming him so that he would never have to be a victim again. And then he says he doesn't want to be the person he is now. It's a very realistic portrayal of abuse. Also,this episode dealt with how fear can lead people to lash out, and how power can corrupt people.

Mavs said:
This one hit a definite home run. The quality, the soundtrack.. the sheer atmosphere... everything... it was absolutely perfect. Besides..

It was so ripe with symbolism. It can apply to pretty much everything. My personal favourite would be the end, when we see Tatsu's shadow and Ginko speculating about 'the king of the night'. Truly, man is a feral beast, and the Fuki... a sentient form of decay, present with it's influence yet never conveying anything, offering benefits to the 'wielder' that would corrupt him to his soul, leading to his all but complete disappearance as a very being.

Sublime.

great take on the story guys. *thumbs up* :)
"...our faces marked by toil, by deceptions, by success, by love; our weary eyes looking still, looking always, looking anxiously for something out of life, that while it is expected is already gone – has passed unseen, in a sigh, in a flash – together with the youth, with the strength, with the romance of illusions.” - Joseph Conrad ('Youth')
May 2, 2014 9:31 AM

May 2010
Wow. Superb episode. Didn't expect a Mushishi episode to have a dark and eerie atmosphere.

And oh, that scene where the crows attack + OST = GOOSEBUMPS..

Also find that Fuki as an interesting addition to what we've learned about Mushis.

And those symbolisms as explained by these posts. Perfect.

koreye said:
SilverDemon said:

Mavs said:
This one hit a definite home run. The quality, the soundtrack.. the sheer atmosphere... everything... it was absolutely perfect. Besides..

It was so ripe with symbolism. It can apply to pretty much everything. My personal favourite would be the end, when we see Tatsu's shadow and Ginko speculating about 'the king of the night'. Truly, man is a feral beast, and the Fuki... a sentient form of decay, present with it's influence yet never conveying anything, offering benefits to the 'wielder' that would corrupt him to his soul, leading to his all but complete disappearance as a very being.

Sublime.

+1
May 3, 2014 2:43 AM

Aug 2012
So creepy and incredible production. Simply put: an amazing episode all around. I just love this series. It's just special.
May 4, 2014 3:52 AM

Jul 2008
This one came right out of Hitchcock. Well it wasn't a completely bad end, but he did lose an arm to his foolishness.
May 5, 2014 9:29 AM

Sep 2008
Awesome episode. I liked the dark and tense atmosphere this time around. The background scenery was really detailed too.
May 6, 2014 10:50 AM

Aug 2013
What a weird change of mood xD
Still, I liked it. It was a stressful episode, I felt like I was following a prey.

So the dude get his arm eaten by birds. That's an awful payback for all his bad deeds.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
May 17, 2014 1:15 PM

Apr 2011
Is anybody else just waiting for a seriously depressing episode. I just finished The first season, and it was filled with many sad episodes, had me crying many times. Not that I enjoy being sad, but I have yet to see a really depressing episode from this season yet. The show is great either way.
Jun 4, 2014 8:58 AM

Nov 2011
DejWoSWK said:
I liked the moral lesson of this episode and I think this one was best so far.

"moral lesson"

lol

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm a few weeks too late in saying this but oh well

Jesus Christ

That thing at the end was CREEPY MAXIMUM

Shit, we're used to it because we see humans every day, everywhere. But defamiliarising ourselves and erasing every other preconceptions of what we already know, goddamnit do we have some fine play right here.

The human is the scariest. Shit. "Top of the food chain" for a reason.

Hotdamn Ginko you're making me rethink so many things in life.
Jun 16, 2014 6:01 AM

Apr 2013
Pretty dark episode. I expected a very bad ending, but things turned out fine.

I always like a dark setting...how Ginko froze in the forest in the beginning ...:)
Jul 1, 2014 8:55 AM

May 2013
Wow, nice episode.
Jul 2, 2014 9:26 PM

Dec 2012
That was something else.. I haven't seen a Mushishi episode containing the type of atmosphere this one had. It was dark, intense and very compelling. Very nice.
Jul 29, 2014 3:03 PM

May 2012
Another very interesting and mysterious episode! Let's see what's next!
Aug 25, 2014 7:21 AM

Dec 2013
Again loosing parts of body eh ?
Average episode, but at least not bad. Maybe even the best so far in this season. 3/5
Oct 17, 2014 11:41 PM

Jan 2014
Oh, the artwork. The forest scenes were so pretty. That was like something straight out of "The Birds" when all the birds swarmed Tatsu.

ElectrikalChaoz said:
Is anybody else just waiting for a seriously depressing episode. I just finished The first season, and it was filled with many sad episodes, had me crying many times. Not that I enjoy being sad, but I have yet to see a really depressing episode from this season yet. The show is great either way.

I know, right? I love the happy endings because Ginko doesn't have to deal with the aftermath of a bad ending, but I know this show can't go too long without sad stuff happening.
Dec 3, 2014 5:21 AM

Oct 2013
Two death scares in one episode... Well played, Mushishi. Well played.

Discord: the.path.to.pathos
RateYourMusic
last.fm
Dec 25, 2014 6:20 PM

Jun 2014
When the older brother was shot mistaken for a bear, it reminded me of when Dick Cheney shot his hunting partner accidentally.

Feb 28, 2015 11:04 PM

Jan 2014
Boooyah!! This season exceed all my expectations.
I think I'm enjoying it more than the first season O__o or at least the same ^-^
This episode in particular, was very well done, Mushishi style ending.
Well, it had everything I like about Mushishi :D
Suspense, amazing landscapes - oh the art, that forest. I loved it.
I could've enjoyed it even with a mediocre story because of the backgrounds *___*
Mar 26, 2015 11:00 AM

Nov 2014
I can be very nitpicky. After watching this episode, I tried to find something wrong with it, but I just couldn't. It's literally perfect. The writing, animation, background art, OST, everything was top notch. I try to be selective about the shows and movies I give 10s to. If this quality level is—mostly—sustained in the following episodes, I may have to give this season a 10 as well.

5/5
Apr 4, 2015 12:46 AM

Jul 2013
Jeez. All of a sudden there are gun(s)? Kind of throws off the older feel the series has maintained until now, even if only slightly. I guess it's possible Zoku Shou is set in a different time period. The first series/season had identical characters cast in different roles so maybe something like that's going on with Ginko.
Apr 7, 2015 9:42 AM

Jan 2013
Yet again a great episode.
Such a scary thought of letting a person like him roam the forest with that hand.
Loved the suspense with him and Ginko aswell.
May 28, 2015 9:56 AM
Nov 2014
Great episode, best one so far. I got the creeps just by watching it.
Jun 6, 2015 8:44 AM

May 2011
Best episode yet.. Very dark and ongoing..
I wish I could see his arms getting shattered with a pretty depressive acapella song like that ending from Saint Seiya's Hades Chapter hahaha

This season started pretty slow compared to the first season, but the episodes are getting better and better <3
Jun 11, 2015 10:09 AM

Jul 2014
4/5
Jul 12, 2015 5:27 PM

Dec 2012
Best Zoku Shou episode so far.
Aug 5, 2015 8:55 AM
Jul 2015
koreye said:
liked how the tone, direction and artwork supplemented the the theme of the episode, the fear of the dark, and the feeling of being exposed to the unknown; the fear of being hunted and the thrill of having power over others, all summed up in one episode through (mostly) one character.

Last ep felt quite uncomfortable for some reason, but this one was dark and bordered on being disturbing. The scene at the end was really scary. The whole ep, in fact most of the show is so atmospheric and ambient that sometimes I almost feel like I'm there, and at times feel what the 'main' character is feeling. The VA performances, OST's, artwork, direction, dialogues etc all blend perfectly to give that effect. Beautiful stuff.

Why, lord , why is Mushishi so great? When will I have the honor to come across such a great show again?
Sep 26, 2015 6:15 AM

Aug 2008
koreye said:
SilverDemon said:

Mavs said:

Sublime.

Yeah, the way it portrayed man was great. A really interesting and well thought out episode. The animation quality is still top notch.
Aug 24, 2016 5:01 AM

Mar 2012
Freaking crows I swear >_>
Oct 2, 2016 5:51 PM

Jul 2010
Damn, that was dark and scary. I really liked the uneasy horror feeling that lurked just beneath the surface of the whole episode. Kind of... reminds me of Shirley Jackson's horror stories?

I'm glad Tatsu didn't die or become consumed.
Oct 9, 2016 3:05 PM

Feb 2009
It's as if in this episode they explain a possible theory for ghosts, in fact, in this world, ghost stories are probably mushi-related.
Oct 13, 2016 9:40 PM

Sep 2010
I love how Mushishi can be creepy, but beautiful at the same time. This episode was definitely both!
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 6, 2014

125 by I-yas-yes »»
Mar 23, 5:09 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jun 20, 2014

157 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 15, 5:28 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 2 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 11, 2014

175 by Pokitaru »»
Mar 2, 1:25 PM

» Is it just me?

Jundal - Dec 29, 2023

8 by AkiraMiyazaki17 »»
Jan 9, 4:56 AM

Poll: » Mushishi Zoku Shou Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jun 13, 2014

93 by skatensleep »»
Dec 6, 2023 8:30 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.