Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
No Game No Life (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 23, 2014 12:42 PM

Oct 2013
The amount of references made my day LOL
Apr 23, 2014 12:49 PM

Dec 2013
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in the world is... cuteness!!"
"Cute makes right. All our needs, desire, and instincts seek cuteness and it is for cuteness that we will give everything we have! That's just the way men are!"

Best speech ever. LOL I about died during that speech, and when he got to that part I thought I would fall out of my chair!

Another great episode, I'm really loving this series. It's right up there at the top of my AOTS listing, and doesn't seem to be relenting. Can't wait for the next episode.

10/10
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.

Apr 2010
Hahahahaha this Phoenix Wright reference. Brilliant.

Jan 2014
idungoof said:
Uber_Dewber said:
I think that this episode is the separator; the people who like the comedy/serious mix type of anime will stay, the ones who prefer a more serious/less random outlook might drop this anime after this episode.

I'm on the borderline now. Not because I can't enjoy a comedy/serious mix type of anime but because my expectation was for the more ridiculous comedy to be outside of the games rather than an integral part of them. I'll give it another couple of episodes though, maybe it'll grow on me.

I agree, I thought the comedy would be used as a relief part, not as a way out for the actual game parts...
Oct 2012
AzuStar said:
i'm guessing no one realized that the Phones they have can detect if the opponent is using magic. that is why they were snapping so many pictures.

The phones don't do that. Shiro figured it out by calculating the odds of the winning hands Kurami was getting and realized it was impossible, and then took the pictures for later observation. Steph jumped to another conclusion that the phones could detect magic, and Sora didn't correct her because it gives the siblings a psychological advantage.

But that said, even if we assume that they could detect magic, I doubt seriously that it would ever be accepted as proof. No one would know HOW it would work, and the accuse would just say that the device used magic to create the picture that the owner wanted, not what actually happened.
Apr 23, 2014 12:51 PM

Jan 2011
Epic game of chess where the troops have morale. I would definitely know how to motivate them, given that I've also experienced being a soldier. The way Sora controlled the game despite Kurami using all her cheats was awesome.

Shiro's cuteness rules all!
I mainly see the animes... so don't blame me for not knowing about the Manga/LN
Apr 23, 2014 12:52 PM
Sep 2010
YumeHunter said:
I seriously had no expections because of the tags. But then I saw the PV and it looked good so I decided to watch this. Best decision of my life. I actually enjoy the randomness and it's really entertaining for me. I just hope that this does not get repetitive since I do want different types of games and different ways to play them. Pretty sure this will happen. Also I'll probably check out the light novel.
tingy said:
Lastly, just have to mention that Matsuoka Yoshitsugu's voice acting is amazing. For some reason, I really liked the part where he intercepts the queen on the chess board and then gasps at the sword that stopped at a dangerousy close distance to his face. I replayed that part like three times lol

This. I really like his voice. I'm sad though that some people only remember him because of Kirito. I think he has done way more better roles than Kirito.

^ Sorata from Sakurasou!

Btw, if any of you think this is still a chess match even after watching the episode then you are OUT! XD

This game is a war game disguised by chess.

From what I get, this anime is mostly about thinking out of the box and so just because the field was designed in 8x8 black and white board and there are 16 pieces on each side doesn't mean that this game is chess. Instead it makes the players thinks it's chess and the players will play it like chess.

Sora mentioned it and started playing this game like a real time Fire Emblem or Tactic Orge.

I have to say, this is silly but this is why I like watching anime that's random and make very little logical senses.
Apr 23, 2014 1:01 PM
Dec 2012
No Game No Life is a non-serious approach to almost any theme that you can think about expect direct physical violence.

From massive online MMORPG fights to making one fall in love for losing a rock, paper, scissors game.

Also in this episode what did Blank's opponent has turned a Chess game into, basically a real time tactical simulation game highly focused on morale and individual motivation of each unit. Naturally Sora rocks at this kind of games and until she pulled out the brainwashing stuff he was owning her.

For those which find this not to have any strategy I point to the LN which offers a clearer view of what is actually going on during the games.

As for game a quick recap:

In the first episode we see three games - Blank's victory over 1200 players, and the mostly skipped Chess match against Tet (you have to admit that watching X hours of high-level Chess play would leave most of us bored to death). Then we have Sora's quick win in a Poker game by the use of some form of cheating.

The second game has only the rock, paper, scissors game in which Sora used mind tricks Dora into playing what he wants her to play.

In this we have a Chess in which the figures have been brought to life with magic making it basically into an almost perfect example of a possible battlefield from the war of gods mentioned before - hell the enemy even uses magic!
Apr 23, 2014 1:05 PM

Apr 2012
Epic stuff.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Apr 23, 2014 1:08 PM
Jul 2018
Is this even a chess game anymore... it feels like its totally something else.... but anyways it kept me entertained.
Apr 23, 2014 1:17 PM
Dec 2012
watching there chess turns into RTS battlefield is hilarious all the references phoenix w. and the judge and JOJO too, tbh this remind me of a phrase commander Shepard told Samata T. after losing countless numbers of chess game to her, he/she said "that pawn could have survive and kill the knight instead, good pawn like "Krogan" can hold the line a fight back!" that's sum up what happen in this episode WAR isn't Chess game.
Apr 23, 2014 1:21 PM

May 2012
This might be the most enjoyable show this season besides Jojo's, and I think the Jojo's reference sealed that fate for me.
I absolutely love the way this show works, especially the way things are colored. One of the prettiest shows I've seen.
Apr 23, 2014 1:21 PM

Nov 2008
fantastic to watch... but with it taking 4 to get the crown I wonder how much they will cover.. its another 'gem' sort of like mondaiji was .. with less than 12 for the season -_-
Apr 23, 2014 1:22 PM

Aug 2012
This episode has me sold. Sora's personality is refreshing and fun, that motivational speech.
Apr 23, 2014 1:26 PM

Feb 2013
Patureau said:
Yeah i think we can officiially call this the best anime of the season... Again, it saddens me it will be just 12 episodes
cant agree with you more
I may have to pick up the manga after
jnw93Apr 23, 2014 1:41 PM
Apr 23, 2014 1:26 PM

Apr 2012
sirwence said:
fantastic to watch... but with it taking 4 to get the crown I wonder how much they will cover.. its another 'gem' sort of like mondaiji was .. with less than 12 for the season -_-
The chess game along with the first volume should be finished next episode. At a possible rate of 4 episodes per volume they'll manage to (hopefully) adapt the first 3.

12 episodes is too little though.. then again, anything would end up being too little.
"Rejoice! We are humans— we are the most talented people! Precisely because we were born without any ability— we can achieve anything— this is the will of the weakest race!" – Sora, ‘No game No life Vol.01’
Apr 23, 2014 1:29 PM

May 2012
Pretty crazy "chess" match.
Enjoyed dem references.
Apr 23, 2014 1:32 PM

Jul 2012
chess game was pretty stupid but fun.

Man loli cuteness is really the main power of all righteousness in the universe.

Fucking Shiro is cute as fuck!
I am falling, I am fading, I am drowning, help me to breathe.
Apr 23, 2014 1:35 PM

Feb 2013
Kimiarasu said:
To be quite honest, I find myself very disappointed with how this show seems to turn out.
I was ultra hyped for this anime after the first episode. I adore the art style (probably my favorite style ever) and I love the setting. I wanted it to become my favorite anime of all times, I tried so hard. But ever since episode 2, I just sit there and think "This shit is retarded".

I was hoping for a very intelligent series, with mind games, sudden twists and two characters whose brilliance would leave me in awe. Unfortunately, there is nothing intelligent behind the games. They seem to have no strategy or rules involved what-so-ever and the viewer is unable to follow anything logically. They just randomly throw in some cheating mechanism or "rules" for the heck of it, but there's nothing brilliant behind it. Sora tries too hard to be bad-ass and it starts to bore me, since despite the horrendous randomness of the games, Sora is sure to have figured it out, looking bad-assy at his opponent and throws out some quotes that somehow most of the audience seems to deem "cool". I don't even. And then the series completely stops to take itself seriously, throwing some moe-shit and bizarre, unfitting comedy into the mix, which leaves me embarrassed while watching the show that I wanted to love.

The show definitely has its moments, and those are the reasons I will try to keep on watching, but I feel it gave away the opportunity to become something magnificent - in order to become a mindless spectacle that wants you to switch off your brain.
Genres: Adventure, Comedy, Ecchi, Fantasy, Supernatural - sorry but you wont find an intelligent series here
Apr 23, 2014 1:40 PM

Feb 2012
Awesome episode once again!
Hope they don't overdo the JoJo references, so far they've been great!
Apr 23, 2014 1:40 PM

Jan 2012
I lovedit when the chess game turned into some kind of mini war lol and how he 'seduced' the black queen xD
Apr 23, 2014 1:46 PM

Jun 2013
Lmao at how he talked to the pieces. King Queen get your asses in the front of the line.
Apr 23, 2014 1:46 PM
Jan 2011
Utterly dissapointed; its like the game system to solve problems is not interesting anymore when someone can just win with random bs.
Apr 23, 2014 1:52 PM
Oct 2012
lolijandro said:
Utterly dissapointed; its like the game system to solve problems is not interesting anymore when someone can just win with random bs.

Uhm, why do you think it was random. There was most certainly a logic to the game.

Kurami was cheating, she didn't want to play a straight "chess" game, so she pretended that the game had the element of the pieces have volition to explain away why her pieces could do things that they shouldn't be able to do in a normal chess game. Once she made that "rule" up Sora took advantage of it, if the troops had volition, then they would respond to motivation, so he gave an epic "General" speech, or appealing to a female character through what he learned from a dating game.

Of course his explanations were mostly done for comedic effect, but the game was most certainly "logical", based on the logic of this world.
Apr 23, 2014 1:56 PM

Aug 2012
Man the only bad part about this so far is the amount of episodes.

Apr 23, 2014 1:57 PM

Jan 2014
i am so glad and relieved to see this wont be solely focused on poker as game...
Apr 23, 2014 1:58 PM

Sep 2010
it was really good episode. I enjoyed it very much.

Also random JOJO reference, nice!
Apr 23, 2014 2:00 PM
Feb 2014
Takuan_Soho said:
lolijandro said:

Uhm, why do you think it was random. There was most certainly a logic to the game.

Kurami was cheating, she didn't want to play a straight "chess" game, so she pretended that the game had the element of the pieces have volition to explain away why her pieces could do things that they shouldn't be able to do in a normal chess game. Once she made that "rule" up Sora took advantage of it, if the troops had volition, then they would respond to motivation, so he gave an epic "General" speech, or appealing to a female character through what he learned from a dating game.

Of course his explanations were mostly done for comedic effect, but the game was most certainly "logical", based on the logic of this world.

Yeah that is sth I'm not really getting from all those negative comments...the way Sora plays may seem silly but he thinks every single step he takes through and tries to beat magic with his wits.
He saw that the game wasn't chess anymore but more a real time battlefield and there the most important thing is always the morale of your troops. Once again it may seem incredible stupid how he raised it, but it was the fastest way possible at that time.
Caleb8980Apr 23, 2014 2:14 PM
Apr 23, 2014 2:01 PM

Oct 2013
Lol this is funny
"There's no shame in falling down... true shame is to not stand up again!"

"Aah? Of course I won't miss!"

"My blood tastes like Iron."

"Run through the tape in life! Never give up! Run through the tape!"
Apr 23, 2014 2:04 PM

Apr 2013
YAY!

I waited soooo long for this episode. This is gonna be soooo funny.

Apr 23, 2014 2:04 PM

Aug 2013
That was awesome, more please.
Apr 23, 2014 2:11 PM

Mar 2013
The was one hell of a chess game!
Awesome stuff happens here :D
"I believe in panties" ~ Shiina Mashiro
Apr 23, 2014 2:18 PM

Mar 2012
phoenix wright reference XD
Apr 23, 2014 2:20 PM

Nov 2013
Where can I get a chess game like that?
I'm too lazy to make a fancy sig
〜( ̄▽ ̄〜)
Apr 23, 2014 2:26 PM

Jul 2010
Dat objection.
Dat Layton.
Dat daga kotowaru.

Anyway, references asides, it was well executed. I'm digging this show.
Apr 23, 2014 2:28 PM

Sep 2011
The JoJo reference was fantastic.
Apr 23, 2014 2:30 PM

Aug 2011
Not sure I can stand another episode of No Game, No Life. Main Character is way too much of an asshole. He's just generally flat out disrespectful to pretty much everyone. I think the only iota of respect that kid has is reserved for his sister. First episode was kinda downhill with me, then the second episode just sort of took a giant leap off a cliff. This episode was better in that respect, but still.

It's like, holy s**t. Everyone in this anime is an asshole except for Steph and maybe Shiro (actually no Shiro's pretty much an asshole too in that she doesn't really care.)
Apr 23, 2014 2:32 PM

Aug 2010
This episode was perfect done from everything from the plot to the random little references inserted in the episode.

So I really hope this ends up being a split cour anime.
Signatures Suck
Apr 23, 2014 2:34 PM

Jul 2012
Holy shit that was so awesome to watch. It's been a while since I've felt this way. Superbly entertaining.
My Anime Blog: http://www.Entravity.com/
Episodic overviews of the latest anime.

Apr 23, 2014 2:34 PM

Jan 2008
NihonFalcom said:
Not sure I can stand another episode of No Game, No Life. Main Character is way too much of an asshole. He's just generally flat out disrespectful to pretty much everyone. I think the only iota of respect that kid has is reserved for his sister. First episode was kinda downhill with me, then the second episode just sort of took a giant leap off a cliff. This episode was better in that respect, but still.

It's like, holy s**t. Everyone in this anime is an asshole except for Steph and maybe Shiro (actually no Shiro's pretty much an asshole too in that she doesn't really care.)

So drop it? I'll tell the person with the gun to your head to stand down.
Apr 23, 2014 2:39 PM
Mar 2014
It's actually pretty cool to have a protagonist who isn't a goody two shoes.
Apr 23, 2014 2:43 PM

Aug 2012
What a chess game .... ahahhahaha
Apr 23, 2014 2:46 PM

Nov 2011
so fucken epic!!!, now thats how you rally your troops!!
Hate Keeps me warm
Apr 23, 2014 2:47 PM
Oct 2012
Caleb8980 said:
Yeah that is sth I'm not really getting from all those negative comments...

Multiple reasons, in descending order of legitimacy:

1) People were expecting a more psychological battle through games, similar to "the Liar's Game."
2) Show's comedy just isn't their taste
3) They just couldn't look past the comedy and see that there was a point to it.
4) They just want to complain
5) Since they showed a loli in the first episode, they will hate this show for all eternity.
6) They assumed they were going to hate it before it aired and damn if they are going to change their opinions.
Apr 23, 2014 2:54 PM

Dec 2009
Barion-Zara said:

Loved the Phoenix Wright "OBJECTION" XD and the Jojo parody XD How Sora and Shiro said another on their lines they want to say list XD

The objection thing is also from jojo, they're parodying rohan kishibe from part 4
Apr 23, 2014 2:55 PM

Jul 2012
Most hilarious episode this season. He crashed the coronation while playing the epic background music with his phone LOL

"Huh? In a real war, what fool waits for their enemy's 'turn'?"
"The one true, unchanging righteousness in this world is... kawaii!!!

That whole chess game was amazing. I couldn't stop laughing :D
Apr 23, 2014 2:56 PM

Oct 2013
Actually people, this was not chess. This was a war of perversion disguised as chess. Please get it right lol
Apr 23, 2014 3:08 PM

Jul 2013
Ace attorney <3

I find it stupid that the creator didn't even know she could have just made endless moves without giving up her turn
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 23, 2014 3:11 PM

Nov 2012
I thought this episode was pretty tacky/absurd but it was entertaining none the less.

"Bang any women they like."

Was lmao when he convince the queen too.
VanishingKiraApr 23, 2014 3:19 PM
Apr 23, 2014 3:17 PM

Jul 2013
Well damn. A hilarious game so far. Sora's face when the Queen was about to take the King's head. And then that speech xD Oh and Sora's 'bang any woman they want' speech lolol

AlexTheRiot said:
This episode has me sold. Sora's personality is refreshing and fun, that motivational speech.

This.
Pages (12) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Cheesekao - Jun 25, 2014

1019 by PurpleMagic »»
4 hours ago

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 11, 2014

294 by FarCritical »»
9 hours ago

» No Game No Life’s Original Creator Pleads For A Second Season Of The Anime ( 1 2 )

deg - Apr 10

56 by Andturn »»
11 hours ago

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 4, 2014

502 by FarCritical »»
Yesterday, 11:42 AM

Poll: » No Game No Life Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 28, 2014

525 by FarCritical »»
Apr 16, 3:12 PM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.