Forum Settings
Forums

Yen Press Announces New Light Novel Imprint 'Yen On'

New
Apr 19, 2014 11:42 PM
Mar 2013
North American published Yen Press announced a new light novel imprint, Yen On, at Sakura-Con 2014. According to Yen Press, the new imprint is exclusively aimed at bringing English editions of Japanese light novels. The imprint is slated to launch this Fall.

Alongside the launch of the new imprint, Yen Press also announced the launch of the following light novel titles:

Another
Toaru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index)
Dungeon ni Deai wo Motomeru no wa Machigatteiru no Darou ka (Is It Wrong To Try To Pick Up Girls In A Dungeon?)

Apart from these, Yen On will also feature other light novels from Yen Press's existing line-up such as Sword Art Online and Ookami to Koushinryou (Spice and Wolf).

Source: Yen Press Official Announcement

News submitted by Numi
DunoisApr 19, 2014 11:45 PM
[b]Join #myanimelist on RizonIRC![b]
(^∇^)

This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Apr 19, 2014 11:45 PM

Mar 2012
I've Dungeon on my PTR. I guess need to read it now before it get taken down on BT.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 19, 2014 11:54 PM
Mar 2012
Luckily I went ahead and saved everything. I'm interested in seeing how long it will take for Yen Press to completely translate the Toaru series.

If I remember correctly, they're releasing the 11th volume out of 17 for Ookami to Koushinryou, nearly three years after its completion. It reminds me to hurry and finish it.

Sung-Hwan said:
Wasn't Another already available on Kindle
It was, but it was never available for print until now.
Apr 19, 2014 11:55 PM

Mar 2008
Sung-Hwan said:
Wasn't Another already available on Kindle
No idea, but a decent number of people like paper in hand, also, collection-pride purposes.

I hope Yen Press doesn't overextend themselves with unprofitable titles.
Apr 19, 2014 11:57 PM

Aug 2013
Localize Biblia Koshodou and Dantalian no Shoka please. It's been painfully loooong time since Baka-Tsuki updated the two
Apr 20, 2014 12:21 AM

Aug 2013
Are they also licensed New Testament ? AFAIK it's separated from the first 24 volumes of Index.
Apr 20, 2014 12:21 AM

Feb 2009
To think I was dismissing this possibility before when SAO was licensed.
Is Yen Press serious? It will take decades for them to catch up to the latest volumes of Index and there's no guarantee they won't drop it midway. Not to mention the difficulty in translating Kamachi's infodumps. Ah well it's already there. I'll try to grab them when they're available. Better download the PDFs on BT as well.

Wonder how will this go now for the Raildex Generals on /a/. Better drop by there to check. It's possible that this is just for the Old Testament so js06 might still do the future NTs unofficially. Where to grab them will be the question.
Apr 20, 2014 12:34 AM
Mar 2012
belatkuro said:
Wonder how will this go now for the Raildex Generals on /a/. Better drop by there to check. It's possible that this is just for the Old Testament so js06 might still do the future NTs unofficially. Where to grab them will be the question.

If anything, js06 is popular enough to have his own site or have someone make it for him. If worse comes to worst, pastebin is definitely an option.
Apr 20, 2014 12:36 AM

Mar 2012
Is NT 9 have PDF? I only have up to NT 8.
Kickstarter for Rokujouma is fully funded. Good work everyone. Lets wait for the result of our hard work together.
Apr 20, 2014 12:38 AM

Jan 2009
Dunois said:

Toaru Majutsu no Index (A Certain Magical Index)

OH
MY
GOD

What a wonderful news to hear in the morning, I never thought this day will come.
Apr 20, 2014 12:41 AM

Aug 2013
NeoAnkara said:
Is NT 9 have PDF? I only have up to NT 8.

Yes, just check the PDF section.
Apr 20, 2014 12:51 AM

Aug 2009
Apr 20, 2014 1:08 AM
Mar 2010
So will this only have LNs aimed at males?

I guess there isn't enough of a market for LNs targeting females like Saiunkoku Monogatari, Earl and Fairy and the like. :/

What a shame...

Ah well, more reason to hurry up and learn Japanese.
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Apr 20, 2014 1:29 AM
May 2012
Light novels are not my thing though.

phoenixalia said:

I guess there isn't enough of a market for LNs targeting females like Saiunkoku Monogatari, Earl and Fairy and the like. :/

What a shame...

How to speak it is kinda easy to learn, but how to write it is a nightmare!!!!
Apr 20, 2014 1:35 AM
Mar 2010
Tengai said:
Light novels are not my thing though.

phoenixalia said:

What a shame...

How to speak it is kinda easy to learn, but how to write it is a nightmare!!!!

More than writing, I want to learn how to speak and read it. I'm learning right now and if its easy enough, I can understand 40% of what's going on in a manga. But LNs are full of kanji and much harder to read. :/
Check out the News Club for daily rankings, discussion on future CD and BD releases, manga and novels. New members are welcome!
Apr 20, 2014 1:47 AM
Feb 2012
The dungeon LN sounds intriguing to me so I think I'll pick that up when it's released. =)

I'm still waiting for the day when Yen Press is going to license the LN of High School DxD. It probably all depends on how well the manga sells. I've still got my fingers crossed though. ^^
Apr 20, 2014 1:53 AM

Mar 2012
AlphaDelta said:
The dungeon LN sounds intriguing to me so I think I'll pick that up when it's released. =)

I'm still waiting for the day when Yen Press is going to license the LN of High School DxD. It probably all depends on how well the manga sells. I've still got my fingers crossed though. ^^
Please don't.
Apr 20, 2014 1:54 AM
Feb 2012
Assuming they don't go for some aggressive approach by releasing 6-7 novels a year, I don't see YenPress catching up till 2025. Once they're at volume 13/14, I'll be sure to import those. Everything before that I've already watched in form of the anime.

Still glad that the localization department is so active.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 20, 2014 2:05 AM

Mar 2012
GuiltyKing said:
Assuming they don't go for some aggressive approach by releasing 6-7 novels a year, I don't see YenPress catching up till 2025. Once they're at volume 13/14, I'll be sure to import those. Everything before that I've already watched in form of the anime.

Would you still interest by that point?
Apr 20, 2014 2:35 AM
Feb 2012
NeoAnkara said:
GuiltyKing said:

Would you still interest by that point?

That depends. If season three happens till then. ...thinking about it, it's more likely that YenPress will be caught up to NT before Index III happens.
The release of atomic energy has not created a new problem. It has merely made more urgent the necessity of solving an existing one. - Albert Einstein
Apr 20, 2014 3:02 AM

Dec 2011
The seemingly impossible has happened - the Index LN is getting an official English language release...

I'm more interested in Dungeon ni Deai... (DanMachi) though. I've heard a lot of good things about that series.
kuuderes_shadowApr 20, 2014 3:06 AM
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Apr 20, 2014 3:57 AM

Nov 2012
If they were to license the Monogatari series, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.
'Once an Arsenal man, always an Arsenal man.' - Bob Wilson.

Apr 20, 2014 3:59 AM

Aug 2009
thelotusf1fan said:
If they were to license the Monogatari series, I wouldn't know what to do with myself.
I think that is the one novel nobody cares or has hopes for the fan translations.It would great to get an official eng release.
Apr 20, 2014 4:06 AM
Feb 2012
The problem is that the Monogatari series is a hard to translate series. You have to be creative and capable as a translator to make it work (or the translator/editor combo for that matter). I doubt it will ever see an official English release.
Apr 20, 2014 4:22 AM

Aug 2009
GuiltyKing said:
The problem is that the Monogatari series is a hard to translate series. You have to be creative and capable as a translator to make it work (or the translator/editor combo for that matter). I doubt it will ever see an official English release.

If fans were able to translate some volumes then professionals should be way better.Unless if companies use fans for the "official" translations(see Steins;gate VN)
Apr 20, 2014 4:41 AM

Mar 2012
What about Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon then?
Apr 20, 2014 4:49 AM

Jun 2012
Finally! So excited for Ralidex.
Apr 20, 2014 4:54 AM

Jul 2010
I really hope NT is not included in this deal. Let's be generous and say they release a novel every 3 months. It would take them almost 6 years just to do the first series.
Apr 20, 2014 5:12 AM

Oct 2012
This is really good news. Hopefully, Yen On licenses a few light novels that I want to actually have in my hands.
Apr 20, 2014 5:17 AM
Feb 2012
ssjokg said:
GuiltyKing said:

If fans were able to translate some volumes then professionals should be way better.Unless if companies use fans for the "official" translations(see Steins;gate VN)

Sadly, there's a difference between people who are doing it out of love for the series and people who get paid for translating Japanese novels. The motivation is different, and so is the dedication and subsequently the quality. Of course that's not always the case, but that's something I've seen happen to different series before. I'd be glad to be proven wrong though.

NeoAnkara said:

You cruel bastard, reminding me of a series that too will never see an official release outside of Japan.
Apr 20, 2014 6:45 AM

Jun 2012
I'm absolutely getting all three novels! can't wait for their release :D

PD: Another will be an Omnibus edition including both volumes of the novel

source: YenPress

- I only draw freestyle! -
Apr 20, 2014 7:11 AM

May 2008
Please succeed, Yen Press! I'd love to see more novels licensed here and you're doing a great job so far.
Apr 20, 2014 7:15 AM
Sep 2013
I will buy the shit out of Idex, but I pray to god that they keep NT separate, and don't licence it until all of Index part 1 is released.
The end is nigh

Apr 20, 2014 7:23 AM
Oct 2013
Interesting....
Apr 20, 2014 7:31 AM

Apr 2013
Surprised that they try with a LN that big. Chances are high that this will be stopped somewher ein between... Especially since the volumes 1 to 11 are quite bad in average...

ssjokg said:
GuiltyKing said:

Did you saw the translation? There's like, translations notes everywhere. If that title were to be translated officially, this wouldn't work like that; the translator would have to adapt his translation to find english sentences/jokes equivalent to the japanese one without relying on translation notes to explain. That's possible (the official french translator of the english novels disc world for example is very good at this), but this clearly requires an extremely good translator.

GuiltyKing said:

NeoAnkara said:

You cruel bastard, reminding me of a series that too will never see an official release outside of Japan.

Lol, that one is even longer than Index+NT together. No way they'll buy the license of such a huge series... Why not guin saga while you're at it x].
Apr 20, 2014 7:42 AM

Aug 2009
Zefyris said:
Surprised that they try with a LN that big. Chances are high that this will be stopped somewher ein between... Especially since the volumes 1 to 11 are quite bad in average...

ssjokg said:
GuiltyKing said:

Did you saw the translation? There's like, translations notes everywhere. If that title were to be translated officially, this wouldn't work like that; the translator would have to adapt his translation to find english sentences/jokes equivalent to the japanese one without relying on translation notes to explain. That's possible (the official french translator of the english novels disc world for example is very good at this), but this clearly requires an extremely good translator.

I am pretty sure that, like the japanese releases, volumes 1-11 wont have a problem IF they even reach that point.

It is THEIR loss if the want to be act "professional" and localize the shit out of it.THe monogatari series' jokes and references is all about japanese culture and language.Those that want to read the story will buy it and will be more than happy just with the notes being there.
Apr 20, 2014 7:44 AM

Nov 2011
I'll be optimistic about this. That Dungeon LN also caught my eye but it's going to take a very long time for them to catch up with Index.
Apr 20, 2014 7:56 AM

Apr 2013
ssjokg said:

It is THEIR loss if the want to be act "professional" and localize the shit out of it.THe monogatari series' jokes and references is all about japanese culture and language.Those that want to read the story will buy it and will be more than happy just with the notes being there.

Never saw a professional translating like that. It can be ok if that's like one time per chapter, but no when it's so many times. In other words, what you're asking for are translations made by fans for fans. That's not going to work at all...

ssjokg said:

I am pretty sure that, like the japanese releases, volumes 1-11 wont have a problem IF they even reach that point.

I wouldn't be so sure of this.
Apr 20, 2014 8:07 AM
The Destroyer.
Feb 2013
Good move but imagine how slow the releases will be. Especially for Toaru...
Apr 20, 2014 8:07 AM

Aug 2009
Zefyris said:
ssjokg said:

Never saw a professional translating like that. It can be ok if that's like one time per chapter, but no when it's so many times. In other words, what you're asking for are translations made by fans for fans. That's not going to work at all...

ssjokg said:

I wouldn't be so sure of this.

But why translate as "professionals" and not in a way that the story makes sense for what it is?Do fans of these series buy it for the story or the professional work of the translator?And a translator's job shouldnt be to adapt stuff to the lang in demand.Is there something in the text, by the author, that has meaning the way it is used?Then leave it like that and explain it.

Can you tell me why you think that everyone has the same values as you do?It is quite obvious that Index volumes 1-11 have many supporters so why wouldnt it sell?
Apr 20, 2014 8:10 AM

Apr 2013
Because the fans who will buy aren't numerous enough for them to create a decent amount of sales. You need to interest other customers. That's why fans translations will never cut it.

And a translator's job shouldnt be to adapt stuff to the lang in demand

That's pretty much a core component of a professional translator's job AFAIK.

For Index, obviously not everyone has the same values as me. Though I seldom saw someone praising the volumes 1 to 11 of index compared to what came after.
Apr 20, 2014 8:13 AM

Jul 2013
As a huge fan Light Novel fan, Yen Press is cruel, my wallet is gonna be hit so hard.

The Huruhi Series
Sword Art Online
Accel World
Spice & Wolf

and now the Index series? OMG.

Does anyone know if this means that Baka-Tsuki will stop translating New Testament? Because isn't technically separate from the first series. Or am I wrong?
Apr 20, 2014 8:15 AM

Aug 2009
Zefyris said:
Because the fans who will buy aren't numerous enough for them to create a decent amount of sales. You need to interest other customers. That's why fans translations will never cut it.

Obviously not everyone has the same values as me. Though I seldom saw someone praising the volumes 1 to 11 of index compared to what came after.

So a good work will never get an official english release because notes are not professional enough....And I dont see how notes would hurt anyone in general.

Yeah even I like the rest more than 1-11 but that doesnt mean that they are bad enough to not sell.
Apr 20, 2014 8:33 AM

Apr 2010
The DanMachi pick up is interesting since it's relatively new, only 4 volumes out and BT hasn't even completed the first volume of it.
Apr 20, 2014 8:39 AM

Jun 2013
What they need to do is finish Spice and Wolf novels at this rate it will take couple more years they need to hurry up.
Apr 20, 2014 8:58 AM

Apr 2013
BTW, no one said anything about this, but the first thing they did in their new LN label was to put a title which isn't a light novel in their LN line up. xD

Another isn't supposed to be a light novel :3. I heard it was a pretty good book, so it's a good thing to see it translated though.

@ssjokg : No, a work where the author play with words a lot require a really good translator to be published in another language, that's all. But that's a lot already, indeed.
It doesn't mean that the volume 1-11 won't sell but it sure won't help either this series. Which rise the risks of seeing it canceled somewhere in the middle.
Apr 20, 2014 9:29 AM
Apr 2012
Pretty darn happy about this. Has been a series I am interested in so can wait now to read them instead of going ahead and watching the anime. It may take time to catch up but rather a wait than nothing at all on my shelves.

The Dungeon LN also sounds rather good and I aim to buy every LN released over here because we get so few.
Apr 20, 2014 10:15 AM
Mar 2012
What I'm worried about is when a company such as Yen Press licenses a long series such as Toaru, if the company goes bankrupt or sales aren't doing well, the series gets dropped and the English audience won't see a sequel. This is a very real situation for Toaru and Sword Art Online since who know how Yen Press will fare in the coming years. Plus we need to take into account the amount of time it takes to complete and update the series. The English audience will be significantly lagging behind their Japanese peers.
Apr 20, 2014 10:22 AM

Jul 2008
Index is a huge project to pick up.

I would be psyched if the picked up the DRRR novels.
Apr 20, 2014 10:23 AM

Aug 2009
Zefyris said:

And a translator's job shouldnt be to adapt stuff to the lang in demand

That's pretty much a core component of a professional translator's job AFAIK.
I didnt see this edit before....

I dont think that overlocalizing things is the core of their job.
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

5 by dimidrum »»
1 hour ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 7 hours ago

4 by Memore »»
3 hours ago

» 'Maougun Saikyou no Majutsushi wa Ningen datta' Announces Supporting Cast

Hyperion_PS - 5 hours ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
5 hours ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 6 hours ago

1 by RobertBobert »»
5 hours ago

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
6 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.