Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Pages (2) « 1 [2]
May 18, 2014 6:10 PM

Sep 2013
I don't think ratings this early on really matter at all anyway. Of course people are going to have different opinions about things, the important thing is to respect other peoples opinions instead of trying to bash someone because they think the show is good, or call someone an idiot because they think the show is bad.

Its too early to tell, especially when this series will likely go into the hundreds of episodes.

Some people weren't able to get through the first episode because they don't like anime with completely unredeemable MC's. That is fine. However, I will admit that its complete and utter bullcrap when they rate a show based off 1 episode.

THIS SHOW COULDN'T POSSIBLE BE GOOD, I CAN TELL THAT BASED OFF 1-4 EPISODES BECAUSE I AM SO GOOD AT TELLING WHAT IS GOOD. 1/10

Sorry if that was a bit mocking. As for the argument that it should be good from the get go, plenty of anime out there were not good from the get go and were amazing later on, usually anime with lots of episodes or anime with very different plots and/or characters. From the New World comes to mind for me.. not that I am saying Matsutarou is as good as that show, but its just an example.

Bottomline, dislike it if you want, but it is in fact underrated because lots of the bad ratings likely come from people who rated it a 1/10 based off 1-3 episodes.

Edit: Though you could also argue that there are people who rated it 10/10 based off 1-3 episodes as well, but Idunno, based off what I have seen of the show, I doubt there were many who gave it a 10/10 based off 1-3 episodes in comparison. Just my opinion though. Also, people rating it 10/10 likely wouldn't quit the show in that time, so they are still more justified because their opinions may change, with people who rated it 1/10, they won't even give it a chance to raise it.
KetenMay 18, 2014 8:13 PM
May 24, 2014 4:19 PM

Jan 2008
Keten, you are half wrong. Consider how many show there are in a season. Let's say 25, that's the general average per season in a year. You are saying that people shouldn't judge a show based on 1-3 episode, but why bother with watching more if 3 episodes have not caught your interest, and you have 20+ other shows you could be watching.
In this day and age, whit the absurd number of new shows coming out, a show must catch your interest in the first episode, otherwise it will be dropped and replaced with something that DID catch your interest with the first episode.

Tell me, what could POSSIBLY change in this show that I might enjoy it?
I hate the MC. Is he going to become a nice guy in 30 episodes? Well, I don't want to watch 30 episodes of him being a dick.

Also, no offense, but you CAN tell how good a show will be after the first 1-3 episodes. I've been watching anime for almost 10 years now, and in the last 2-3 years,very rarely I've been wrong about a show I'm watching. I knew Mahou Sensou was going to suck ass from episode 1, and I new Wixoss was going to be freaking awesome. The one time I was wrong that I can remember was with The Phantom-Piercing Sun, and that wasn't my fault (the show got cut from 24 episodes to 12).

tl;dr: yes, you can tell if you're going to enjoy a show or not from 1-3 episodes.
May 24, 2014 11:13 PM

Sep 2013
DmonHiro said:
Keten, you are half wrong. Consider how many show there are in a season. Let's say 25, that's the general average per season in a year. You are saying that people shouldn't judge a show based on 1-3 episode, but why bother with watching more if 3 episodes have not caught your interest, and you have 20+ other shows you could be watching.
In this day and age, whit the absurd number of new shows coming out, a show must catch your interest in the first episode, otherwise it will be dropped and replaced with something that DID catch your interest with the first episode.

Tell me, what could POSSIBLY change in this show that I might enjoy it?
I hate the MC. Is he going to become a nice guy in 30 episodes? Well, I don't want to watch 30 episodes of him being a dick.

Also, no offense, but you CAN tell how good a show will be after the first 1-3 episodes. I've been watching anime for almost 10 years now, and in the last 2-3 years,very rarely I've been wrong about a show I'm watching. I knew Mahou Sensou was going to suck ass from episode 1, and I new Wixoss was going to be freaking awesome. The one time I was wrong that I can remember was with The Phantom-Piercing Sun, and that wasn't my fault (the show got cut from 24 episodes to 12).

tl;dr: yes, you can tell if you're going to enjoy a show or not from 1-3 episodes.

Question, how exactly can you be SURE that you were right most of the time if all you watched were 1-3 episodes of something and judged it based off that?

I am not saying that you shouldn't drop a show if you don't feel it grabs you in the first 3 episodes, I am saying you shouldn't rate it a 1/10 based off 1-3 episodes. I am also not saying I guarantee you will enjoy it, I am saying a 1/10 is an IMMENSELY insulting score to ANYTHING. It is very rare that something as horrendous as a 1/10 even comes into existence.

A 1/10 implies that there is nothing, NOTHING about a show that makes up for how bad it is, in fact, a 1/10 usually implies the show insulted you in some way. Matsutarou I can see people saying its a dumb show with a jerk MC, how is that deserving of a 1/10? How can you possibly tell a series gives nothing to you if you only watched 1-3 episodes? Especially when it is going to be as long as I think it will be. What is so insulting about an anime centering around a jackass who is brought into the Sumo world? There's no plot holes so far, no sexism or racism. It's not like the anime is telling you to like Matsutarou, it's telling you that hes a jackass.

Now I am not only to judge based off other people's opinions, but I am going to say this, not saying I listen to either, but if a person came up to me, said he watched 3 episodes of a series and called it a 1/10, but then another person came up to me, said he read the entire manga and it was deserving of a reward, which do you think I will listen to? The point here isn't that I will listen to either, the point here is that the other guy clearly has far more, FAR MORE credibility than the other.

Also, I don't mind if people hate the show, I really don't, I just don't see why they plaster 1/10 on things when it's honestly the most insulting thing you can do to a series, judge it for what it is trying to do, not for what you wish it was, then after it is complete or at least you get a wide range of where it's going, judge how well it did what it was trying to do, and if what it was trying to do was original or a good thing in comparison to everything else.

There is a difference between critiquing something, and giving a first impression, 1/10 would be a first impression, however I don't feel first impressions should ever give a 1-3/10 or a 8-10/10, because you just cant tell that accurately based off such a short viewing.

Wow I typed a lot, sorry about that.

Edit: Sorry more typing, but I would like to point out that you seem to not give 1's all over the place for dropped anime, and that is fine, this is mostly to the people who just throw 1's around like they are the Matsutarou of critiques or something.
KetenMay 25, 2014 12:47 AM
May 26, 2014 5:00 AM

Jan 2008
Well, as stupid as it will sound, it's because even if I judge a show to not be worth my time, I'll still download it, and skim through it once in a while. Once it pisses me off enough (Nobunaga the Fool, for example), I deleted it completely.
I disagree with your view, however. You are dangerously close to saying "You shouldn't give a grade to this unless you've seen the whole thing". Doing so would give all shows inflated ratings since only people so remotely like it would actually watch the whole thing. If the first time you meet someone, he spits on your hand, then shakes it, that's a poor first impression. Would you continue seeing that person, in hopes that he "gets better", or would you write him up as a nut an move on?
First impressions are the most important thing in anime right now. If an anime can't catch my interest in 3 episodes or less, it's pointless, I'm not going to keep watching it and hope it gets better when there are things that are good from episode 1.

Also, yes, every show I gave a 1 to did kind of insult me.Tsubasa Chronicle is a piss-poor adaptation of a manga I really loved, with all the humor sucked out and replaced with pans over eyes. Gantz was a decent manga absolutely RUINED by shitty filler.Baldr Force Exe Resolution is the shittiest adaptation I've ever seen, made worse by the fact that the game is an all time favorite of mine. Sekai de Ichiban Tsuyoku Naritai! insulted just my intelligence, not my soul.
May 26, 2014 6:35 AM

Sep 2013
I am pretty dangerously close to saying that, but I promise that is not what I mean. While I do think it would be cool if somehow people would be able to watch shows entirely even if they dislike it, that isn't realistic, you are correct, however what I mean to say is, giving ratings of 1-3 or 7-10 based off 3 or so episodes, really isn't fair at all to the show.

Also I do disagree that being a bad adaption of something you love isn't exactly insulting you in the way I was talking about.. though honestly I do agree that sometimes adaptions can be so bad that it makes the series look like a bad series, which isn't true. Berserk for example I think is a far inferior series than the manga, but, I still gave it a 9, because the little piece of Berserk I got out of it, it's still Berserk, and its still good. Which ya, I agree the Gantz anime completely butchered the manga, even if the manga was only just good, if anything that makes it worse. In the end I guess that is just opinionated, but I do know some cases where anime adaptions are beyond terrible representations of a series, and are deserving of all the flack they get, plus I haven't seen the series that you listed there besides Gantz, though I was thinking of picking up the Tsubasa manga eventually.

Also, I do agree that First Impressions are important, but the things that really hurt a show are usually things you can't see until you get a bigger picture of it, plot holes for example, you can't see plot holes unless you've seen a good chunk of the series.

I think the main thing is critique vs enjoyment, if something doesn't grab you or just isn't enjoyable for you, that doesn't necessarily mean it deserves a bad rating, it just means it wasn't for you, calling it crap though, you can only base your opinion off the episodes released, so it's like your saying, "The first 3 episodes are crap!" to which someone responds, "What about the rest of the episodes?" What can a person say to that besides, "Well I didn't watch passed the first 3, but hey, I'll assume they are bad too.".

I guess critiquing is a lot more complicated than even I thought, cause you are right, you shouldn't waste your time on a series if you don't think you will enjoy it, which in term doesn't give you a good view of how the anime could be in the future, it's also true that those who keep with it, are likely only those who do enjoy it, thus giving favorable ratings. I guess that is why 95% of anime are either underrated or overrated. lol
May 26, 2014 7:06 AM

Jun 2011
DmonHiro said:
I've been watching anime for almost 10 years now, and in the last 2-3 years,very rarely I've been wrong about a show I'm watching.

So cool.

@DmonHiro: From what I read and understood, you're pretty much saying a show must be good/feel good right from the start, as in... the fanservices (not the ecchi kind) and pandering kind of show, you know... the kind that hooks you right from the first episode with beautiful animation/art, cool MC, etc..? NGNL looks good, cool mc and all, but it bores me for most of the time.

mayukachan said:
KingYoshi said:
This is definitely underrated right now. A 5.69 is really, really low by "MAL standards." I don't think it is great so far, but it is interesting and definitely deserving of a higher rating that, imo.

I can assure you it'll rise to a 6 something when it's completed. lol Meganebu! managed to go from a 5 to a 6 after it finished because of the 1/5 rule. Even Diabolik Lovers is almost a 6.

Both Meganebu! and this show deserve much better score. yeh I am still bitter over Meganebu!'s low score
ToG25thBaamMay 26, 2014 7:15 AM
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 26, 2014 1:08 PM

Jan 2008
ToG25thBaam said:
From what I read and understood, you're pretty much saying a show must be good/feel good right from the start.

Well, not exactly. Yes, if a show is good and makes you feel good from the start, that's a keeper, but what I really mean is that a show have to get in INTERESTED right from the start, even if you don't quite feel good about the anime.
Take JoJo's first season. I had never read the JoJo manga, and the 1st episode was really odd for me: strange sound effect, really huge men, extreme over-acting... I didn't exactly liked it. But the end of the episode did interest me enough to check out a few more episodes. I was curious about that odd mask, so I kept watching, and I was hooked. Had the mask not appeared in the first episode, I probably wouldn't have watched more. Sure, I would have missed out on a really good show, but since JoJo IS a really good show, eventually I would have heard all the good things about it, and tried watching it again. Now, let's take a show from this season: Kamisama Asobi. I watched the first episode, I decided I did not like it. Unlike JoJo, Kamisama Asobi ISN'T a very good show, so I've lost nothing. See, even if you wrongly judge a good show, odds are you're going to give it a second chance eventually. But if you correctly judge a poor show, you've lost nothing, and even gain a slight feeling of shallow superiority since you've already guessed the show was bad, stopped watching, but other people keep watching hoping it gets better. I'm looking at you, Mahou Senseou.

To bring it back to the anime on topic, nothing from Matsutarou interested me enough to keep watching. In fact, the MC repulsed me. I'm losing nothing by not watching this show, since I'm already watching 12 shows that I consider good this season (and 10 more on Sunday with my buddies, every week). However, you will notice that Matsutarou is NOT on my Dropped list. I don't put things on my Dropped list unless I've actually started them (one episode does not count since I watch the first episode of every single show), thus I didn't grade it. I have to watch at least 3 episode for it to make it on my Dropped list (Aku No Hana, for example, I willed myself through 6 episodes on sheer bewilderment).
DmonHiroMay 26, 2014 1:13 PM
May 26, 2014 1:21 PM

Jul 2012
^ tl;dr: everyone has their own way of watching anime. I drop good stuff for example if I just don't want to finish it. I keep watching shitty shows. I have lots of shows that have shit beginnings but great endings (Jojo fit into that*) Some people drop stuff earlier, some people decide everything based off the beginning. Saying "very rarely I've been wrong about a show I'm watching" is basically saying you're always right about shows? Can we just accept not everyone likes everything :P

* Jojo started out well, then the 3rd episode to the end of the first arc bored me and it got better in the second arc.
May 26, 2014 3:09 PM

Sep 2013
mayukachan said:
^ tl;dr: everyone has their own way of watching anime. I drop good stuff for example if I just don't want to finish it. I keep watching shitty shows. I have lots of shows that have shit beginnings but great endings (Jojo fit into that*) Some people drop stuff earlier, some people decide everything based off the beginning. Saying "very rarely I've been wrong about a show I'm watching" is basically saying you're always right about shows? Can we just accept not everyone likes everything :P

Well I don't mean to say that the way people watch anime is wrong.. Though I guess I did kind of come off like that, so sorry. I do happen to be enjoying Matsutarou, I too wasn't exactly impressed by it the first couple episodes, but by the 3rd one I had a glimmer of hope, and by the 4th one I realized what it was going for and that it would be something that would develop over time. Regardless, I know some can't watch anime like that, and that's okay.
May 26, 2014 3:36 PM

Jul 2012
Keten said:
I do happen to be enjoying Matsutarou, I too wasn't exactly impressed by it the first couple episodes, but by the 3rd one I had a glimmer of hope, and by the 4th one I realized what it was going for and that it would be something that would develop over time. Regardless, I know some can't watch anime like that, and that's okay.

I'm the same. First few episodes gave a bad impression but seeing as it is going to be a three cour+ show for sure, I'm gonna expect it to develop and have lots of excitement later on.
May 26, 2014 3:40 PM

Jan 2008
mayukachan said:
Saying "very rarely I've been wrong about a show I'm watching" is basically saying you're always right about shows?

Well, pretty much. While anime is very entertaining as a medium, it's actually quite predictable. There are subtle hints and big huge neon light signs that can tell you how the anime will evolve. Sure, I'm not going to be guessing all the plot twists that happen, but I can get a very good idea if I'm going to enjoy the show or not. And that's really all that matters to me: will I enjoy watching the anime, or not. It also helps that if I really like a character, I can overlook some shortcomings. Also, I don't mind cliches.
May 31, 2014 11:40 PM

Dec 2009
I am enjoying this show alot. I hope it gets a better rating. It breaks from the normal anime with both animation and story (not your typical teenager....because he isn't a teenager...nor an alien...nor a demon...nor a ghost...etc.) he is just a big jerk that is gonna have to learn alot of life lessons, hoping to see him go throu those life lessons. (Life lessons make some anime great like for Clannad...Clannad bored me to tears no idea why I decided to watch the second season but when the mc graduated and started to live life in a more realistic way, it just got a ton better)
What a haul! What a HAUL!!!
Jun 2, 2014 11:26 AM

Jan 2008
NEVER trust CR ratings, they are even less reliable then MAL ratings.
Jul 8, 2014 11:06 PM

May 2013
This show just grows on you. Its not fantastic but its definitely not bad.
Jul 8, 2014 11:13 PM

Jun 2009
The first episode is a major turn-off, and many casual watchers probably quit about a couple episodes in.

I feel like whenever they try introducing some elements for character growth(Losing to Inokawa, befriending Tanaka, possibly going up against that one handsome sumo wrestler), they kill it by going back to stable antics and generally making the whole cast suffer. This also makes people quit because they'll feel like nothing's going anywhere.

The recent episodes have been pretty good and I hope that keeps happening. To the few dozen that are still watching this, we're in it for the long haul.
The one thing that I'd love to see is a lesbian yandere.
Jul 9, 2014 3:31 PM

Jul 2012
Silent_Sword said:
I feel like whenever they try introducing some elements for character growth(Losing to Inokawa, befriending Tanaka, possibly going up against that one handsome sumo wrestler), they kill it by going back to stable antics and generally making the whole cast suffer. This also makes people quit because they'll feel like nothing's going anywhere.

^ Exactly what I think. There's slight dips into some good elements but then it just becomes stupid again.
Jul 11, 2014 12:00 AM

Jan 2013
- lack of any animation whatsoever
- almost near non-existent character development
- the fights are lame
- characters are pretty boring and one dimensional

I should probably just drop it now and continue working on my backlog. The show feels and treats you like a kid watching saturday morning cartoons, which is something I feared.
Jul 19, 2014 5:46 PM
Jul 2012
For me, I honestly think the series's animation is decent and the bouts are fun to watch, but the only reason I keep questioning why I keep watching is the MC's antics. Its just annoying to watch. He keeps going off on his own thing, without even the slightest idea about how the other characters feel. And they have to obey just because he has this enormous strength, which I think will soon be taken down a bit.

Even if the MC's personality is designed with a sense of humor, I just can't see it. Sure, its fun to scare and make people scream(in numerous, more red ways), but the way the MC does it is just boring. They just obey or hide, there is absolutely no fun in that.
Jul 19, 2014 10:00 PM
Dec 2012
sonofcasbah said:
- lack of any animation whatsoever
- almost near non-existent character development
- the fights are lame
- characters are pretty boring and one dimensional

I should probably just drop it now and continue working on my backlog. The show feels and treats you like a kid watching saturday morning cartoons, which is something I feared.[

First bolded is straight up wrong. The fights in episodes 5, 10 and 13 were amazing.

Second part is you basically going into a strip bar and complaining "Why is everyone treating me like a pervert?" You are complaining about a seinen work from the 70s, which more or less carries the same tone of a Saturday Morning cartoon.

Also, you talking shit about Saturday morning cartoons? I'll have you know that TMNT kicked ass.
Aug 3, 2014 11:54 PM

May 2013
Opinions.
Aug 5, 2014 3:04 AM

Jun 2012
Considering most worse shows get much better scores on MAL, I really would consider this underrated.
I imagine it's mixture of unappealing animation (to most) in combination with unlikeable protagonist on the first look, which resulted in people dropping it after one or two episodes and giving it very low ratings.

I remember that I really disliked first episode of this, but after just few episodes it was pretty easy to watch and I ended up looking forward to each new episode. Not to mention that last one, (episode 15) was just completely amazing and heartbreaking.

I don't think this is the best anime of the season or anything really extraordinary, but by MAL score standards, it's definitely underrated and deserving of at least 7. Dragonar, which aired same season, got almost 7. on the ratings. And that was just recycled harem pattern anime with usual character stereotypes, including abusive loli tsundere as the main, also involving tentacle rape and everything cliche in ecchi department that you might imagine.

Why did that one get higher score? Fanservice! Appealing art + fanservice and you get 6+ rating with ease, apparently. And we have Seirei this season which is repainted version of Dragonar and the chain continues.

Sorry that this ended up with trashing Dragonar, but I had to use that one for score comparison since they aired along each other, and that one was the worst one that season, in my opinion.
Aug 9, 2014 10:49 PM

Sep 2013
Mladen said:
Considering most worse shows get much better scores on MAL, I really would consider this underrated.
I imagine it's mixture of unappealing animation (to most) in combination with unlikeable protagonist on the first look, which resulted in people dropping it after one or two episodes and giving it very low ratings.

I remember that I really disliked first episode of this, but after just few episodes it was pretty easy to watch and I ended up looking forward to each new episode. Not to mention that last one, (episode 15) was just completely amazing and heartbreaking.

I don't think this is the best anime of the season or anything really extraordinary, but by MAL score standards, it's definitely underrated and deserving of at least 7. Dragonar, which aired same season, got almost 7. on the ratings. And that was just recycled harem pattern anime with usual character stereotypes, including abusive loli tsundere as the main, also involving tentacle rape and everything cliche in ecchi department that you might imagine.

Why did that one get higher score? Fanservice! Appealing art + fanservice and you get 6+ rating with ease, apparently. And we have Seirei this season which is repainted version of Dragonar and the chain continues.

Sorry that this ended up with trashing Dragonar, but I had to use that one for score comparison since they aired along each other, and that one was the worst one that season, in my opinion.

Pretty much. People think the protagonist sucks but I think he's very enjoyable. You don't see protagonists like him at all and it doesn't even take the usual route of sports anime. It does go a bit too far into goofy territory where I would rather it be more about the daily life of Sumo Wrestlers but still.

The comedy is good, sometimes a tad dated but good. The character does develop (Albeit very slowly). The animation doesn't need to be great because Sumo fights aren't anything that last long periods of time anyway(They usually end in less than a minute). The music is old school as is the art style. People just don't get the comedy I guess. The comedy comes from people suffering (Which all comedy comes from). Just because the protagonist isn't some relatable nice guy doesn't make the show bad. Sure it isn't some masterpiece but as far as comedy standards go, it's very different in a good way. I always praise shows that at least TRY to be different. Sheesh, it's called innovation people, but I guess the next harem show will settle them.

Anyway bottomline, the show is rather relaxing every week. It doesn't try to be something bigger than it is. Even the narrator points out how ridiculous the show is. It's very self aware and easy to watch.
Aug 9, 2014 10:58 PM

Jul 2012
hmm, finally caught up on this show. should be in the 7+ zone, with MAL standards. i still don't think its very special or great as most sports anime make me feel but it's not that bad to be a 5s show.
Aug 10, 2014 5:48 AM

Dec 2013
Idgaf about ratings as long as it's enjoyable to me :)
Aug 17, 2014 3:34 PM

Feb 2008
Hahahaha is this really rated low just because the MC was a dick in the first episode? Never change MAL, never change.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 21, 2014 6:24 PM

Jan 2011
It needs more sumo action, the comedy just isn't that good. Although I'll admit the last episode was pretty funny.
Sep 27, 2014 2:40 PM

Jul 2012
...and now its not underrated!
Sep 27, 2014 11:28 PM

Oct 2008
*Based by the manga with the same name written by Chiba Tetsuya

Gotta watch this asap
Sep 28, 2014 1:01 AM

Jan 2011
Eh the score it's at is about right imo.
Sep 28, 2014 1:05 AM

Aug 2014
ZetaZaku said:
Hahahaha is this really rated low just because the MC was a dick in the first episode? Never change MAL, never change.

MC was a dick for much longer than that.
Sieg Zeon!
Sep 28, 2014 6:56 PM

Jul 2012
I'm 21 episodes in and MC is still a dick lol
Sep 28, 2014 10:21 PM

Jun 2012
That's just who he is. He progressed enough from the start at least, imo.
Sep 29, 2014 8:55 PM

Jul 2012
Mladen said:
That's just who he is. He progressed enough from the start at least, imo.

Tanaka has progressed more tbh
Sep 30, 2014 11:04 AM

Sep 2013
Imao the show is underrated because most people expected a sports anime with maybe some comedy but received a comedy anime with some sport. Also the MC is (for better or worse) a unique and controversial individual and not the son of a former champ, the chosen one, a complete airhead or any other stereotypical anime MC. Some people apparently didn't like that very much.
Sep 30, 2014 2:58 PM

Jul 2012
^ I think the expectations come from the fact that it was written by the guy who did Ashita no Joe and the fact that most sports anime are more serious and well written.
Sep 9, 2016 4:07 PM
Sep 2015
So basically, after 13 episodes, this is basically an anime that's a big F U to the sport of sumo. The MC is such a disrespectful idiot.
Feb 6, 2017 1:33 AM
Aug 2010
This show is not badly written. Is it on par with Joe? Fuck no, but Joe is one of the most well-written anime/manga of all time - and I mean, this is the guy who DREW Joe, not WROTE it. I didn't expect writing mastery and was surprised at how good some of it is.

I understand finding the subject matter too cringe-worthy and uncomfortable to watch, but the execution is not bad at all. The characterization is well executed and believable (note "believable" doesn't mean "realistic" - I'm saying it's well-exaggerated yet based upon real human emotions that make sense), it has some genuinely heartfelt moments and the comedy can be really, really good at times. I'll admit some of the slice-of-life stories feel like filler, but when it's good, it's great - the comedy isn't redundant in a traditional Japanese "straight man character explaining every joke" way and at times it can deliver some simple, awkward moments that are funny as hell in their sheer subtlety and devoid of any over-reaction - for example during the climactic match in ep 14, or Sakaguchi expecting Reiko to grab his arm in episode 4.

The art and animation can be cheap as FUCK and a lot of moments, I'll admit, look pretty crap. But when it's not crap, it ranges from good to great. There are episodes like 17 that feature more solid art than usual and some really funny facial expressions, some episodes have more stylish and detailed backgrounds than others, and episodes 1, 15 and 23 IN PARTICULAR are amazingly executed given the small budget.

Those particular episodes have the veteran series director storyboarding and directing them, who not only directed Kyousougiga worked on all sorts of beloved properties - Digimon, Kitaro, One Piece, Gash Bell etc. They're the absolute visual highlight of the show and assigning him at the beginning, middle and end was great. The animation is still very limited but teh understanding of old-school manga & anime aesthetics is higher than usual, the backgrounds can be absolutely beautiful and they have this really great sense of cinematography, lighting and color that gives them a wonderfully atmospheric, nostalgic atmosphere.

This show is not great - hell, it's not even particularly good. But I do think it's above-average, interesting and fun and above all else, it's unique enough to justify watching it even if it's not very well-polished and has some not-so-good episodes. I really, really want to see the manga picked up.
busterbeamFeb 6, 2017 1:44 AM
Oct 1, 2019 1:40 AM

Dec 2015
This is a jewel. And I guess it is mainly because of the visuals that people don't like it. Dropping early or finishing it while they know they won't start to like it. Good score would need a lot of people that care about plot/chars actually finishing it - not dropping it early. Would overall need more attention.

A problem with this visuals (manga already is old and it is set in an older era after without internet/smartphone - not modenized like the new Sailor Moon adaption) and Sumo (niche sports in the west) - which did not help in getting attention for this anime.

For me I found it disgusting when the main was in school ... fingers playing in his nose. Even showed that in detail. Started to really like it later though. How he helped the other weak guy and the training stuff and the fun and jokes and how it showed us the Japan at that time - without modern stuff like smarthphones and internet. Inozeki and the stories (I think there was somethign with a cat or dog) and the Oyakata and the hierarchy.

Huge different feeling compared to Hinomarozumou. The show is not only about plot, chars , visuals each as a single thing. It is a great composition of all of them. And the visuals and older style there fits the old manga and the actually pretty old setting without smarthpones. (For stuff like LOGH modernization is not a bad idea - since we now have stuff the author alraedy did not predict when he wrote about a future still thousands of years ahead of us now. But this one is actually set in that specifc era of Japan without "sumaho".)
Pages (2) « 1 [2]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 4 Discussion

Stark700 - Apr 26, 2014

21 by nightjasmine »»
Oct 16, 2023 8:50 PM

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - May 31, 2014

10 by JoseSalsa »»
Aug 19, 2022 7:06 PM

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 23 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

30 by Ashhk »»
Nov 5, 2020 9:23 AM

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 22 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 20, 2014

10 by Ashhk »»
Nov 5, 2020 8:41 AM

Poll: » Abarenbou Rikishi!! Matsutarou Episode 21 Discussion

Stark700 - Sep 13, 2014

11 by Ashhk »»
Nov 5, 2020 7:56 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.