15th Anniversary
Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Apr 15, 2014 3:00 PM

So, yeah, I watched FMA:B being interested in it because it was based on the manga and was generally considered much better. Should I watch the 2003 anime or will I be disappointed?
The real me is super cool!

Apr 15, 2014 3:04 PM

It matters, while you can see from the score most people preferred Brotherhood. There are a lot who think the opposite. They are basically two different series, it's your choice to watch it. I personally didn't think FMA was that good.

Apr 15, 2014 6:33 PM

Okay, thank you. I might give it a try as I did really enjoy Brotherhood and loved the characters so I wouldn't mind seeing them again but with a different plot.

Apr 15, 2014 11:20 PM

definitely!
tho i prefer Brotherhood, and i think it's more well-written overall. but there's some points here and there that i prefer over Brotherhood (some of the characters, for example)

but if you liked BH, you definitely should check the original FMA. you won't be disappointed, it's worth watching.

Apr 15, 2014 11:25 PM
Top Aidoru ♪

Just keep in mind that the 2003 version is gonna be more dramatic and it's gonna go off on its own plot. It's gonna feel like a different show as IntroverTurtle said. Watch it if you're up for more Fullmetal Alchemist, but don't expect more of the Brotherhood atmosphere.

Apr 16, 2014 12:20 AM

OF COURSE you should watch FMA. Fullmetal Alchemist has been one of the most popular and successful series out there since it started airing in 2003. Brotherhood was the downfall of FMA... now everyone on the internet who hasn't seen FMA yet is brainwashed into believing that Brotherhood is automatically superior and the masses brainlessly agree without giving FMA much of a chance.

Rant over. Anyways, like Shocked said, FMA is quite a bit more dramatic and deals with raw human emotions much more than Brotherhood. IMO older anime fans(20+) tend to enjoy FMA more, while most teens and younger fans flock towards Brotherhood.

tl;dr - It's very different from FMAB but should not be overlooked just because most people think Brotherhood is superior. It's a masterpiece in it's own right.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 16, 2014 2:54 AM

SharifEbeefE said:
older anime fans(20+) tend to enjoy FMA more, while most teens and younger fans flock towards Brotherhood.

lolno.
let's not get this started please, with the "people prefer brotherhood cuz it has more fights" bullshit.

Apr 16, 2014 3:09 AM

I'd say go for it, but wait for a while before doing so. Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 doesn't have the adventurous feeling that Brotherhood had and it's also not as epic (the most badass moments in Brotherhood are not present in the original, namely Mustang's raping face against envy). Still, in my opinion it's more emotional and some scenes are better done. You'll probably not enjoy it as much as Brotherhood, but it's still worth watching.
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...

Apr 16, 2014 3:19 AM

I'd highly highly recommend watching FMA 2003 simply for the experience, if nothing else. There's truth to what everybody already said, and whether you'd be "disappointed" or not is entirely up to you. However, the FMA franchise is one of the rare ones that has 2 alternative versions equally as good as each other, in different ways, so you should watch it to appreciate that, at the very least.

And you might even love it.
Anime List

↳ click profile for recommendations

✨☆✨

Apr 16, 2014 4:01 AM

fullmetalbender said:
However, the FMA franchise is one of the rare ones that has 2 alternative versions equally as good as each other, in different ways, so you should watch it to appreciate that, at the very least.

You know, we FMA fans are lucky. finished watching/reading Brotherhood/manga ? you still have the original FMA to watch! (or the other way around)

the thing is, the alternative show doesn't actually suck, even compared to the original material (BH and Manga)

Apr 16, 2014 4:06 AM

The original's ending was way better.

Apr 16, 2014 4:19 AM

You should definitely watch it...eventually. Not right now after finishing Brotherhood though. Give it a couple of months.

Apr 16, 2014 4:29 AM

I watched Brotherhood first, and then FMA 2003 afterwards. They are both great anime that will appeal to different types of people. Brotherhood would appeal more to fans of shounen anime who like "badass" characters with grand scale fights. FMA more to people who would prefer a darker, more artsy take. For me, I prefer FMA over Brotherhood, but both are worth watching and it really depends on what you look for in an anime.

Apr 16, 2014 4:31 AM

grandy_UiD said:
You should definitely watch it...eventually. Not right now after finishing Brotherhood though. Give it a couple of months.

I am afraid every second of every day that i wont like anime anymore in a few months.

Apr 16, 2014 12:31 PM

Don1Joker said:
SharifEbeefE said:
older anime fans(20+) tend to enjoy FMA more, while most teens and younger fans flock towards Brotherhood.

lolno.
let's not get this started please, with the "people prefer brotherhood cuz it has more fights" bullshit.

I don't know where I ever mentioned anything about people liking BH more because of the fights; oh, that's because I didn't. I'm just stating that in my personal experiences most younger (as in teenage) anime fans enjoy BH more-so than FMA.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Apr 16, 2014 12:39 PM

Don1Joker said:
SharifEbeefE said:

lolno.
what the fuck is with this rivalry between the 2 shows, we should be grateful we can experience this series twice rather than once. Yeah preferring one is a given but we suddenly have people fighting to the death on which is better

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 16, 2014 4:10 PM

JizzyHitler said:
Don1Joker said:
SharifEbeefE said:

lolno.
what the fuck is with this rivalry between the 2 shows, we should be grateful we can experience this series twice rather than once. Yeah preferring one is a given but we suddenly have people fighting to the death on which is better

Uhhhh nobody in this thread was fighting over which series is better; you might need to reread all of the posts in this thread.

Apr 16, 2014 6:16 PM

Thanks to everyone that's replied! I think it's almost unanimously yes to watching it, but I'll maybe wait a month or so and watch something else and then come back to it!

Apr 16, 2014 8:09 PM

JizzyHitler said:
Don1Joker said:
SharifEbeefE said:

lolno.

lol. it just piss me off how people would act ignorantly and say "people prefer BH cuz it has more badass characters, more fight scenes" which is a total bullshit. at least for me.

i won't "fight to death" on which one is better, everyone has their own opinion and their own reasons. but you can't just go on and try to justify why majority of people prefer BH over the original. i've seen A LOT of FMA fans saying shit like that. in the end, i like them both, i think they're both a masterpiece and a MUST for anyone who watche anime.

@SharifEbeefE - don't take it personally, just like i said, i hate it when people try to justify why BH fans prefer it over the original show. i know you didn't say that straightforwardly, but since i came across a lot of those people, i guess i just misunderstood you. sorry :)
Modified by Lucifer-Rey, Apr 16, 2014 8:34 PM

Apr 16, 2014 11:39 PM

Recently rewatched the original FMA with a friend who hasn't seen either of them. I prefer the original. In my opinion the plot is more thematic and interesting, while Brotherhood is better aesthetically (animation, sound, quality in general)

May 3, 2014 9:11 PM

I watched brotherhood first then the 2003 series. Honestly, I think i would have appreciated brotherhood more if I watched the 2003 series first. Watching the 2009 series made me feel that 2003's plot not nearly as good. Even though the 2003 is better in some other as like more dramatic, even sometimes too dramatic, and has and interesting parallel universe theme in it. The 2003 series did the exposition of fma better then brotherhood since the 2009 glossed of the first 15 episodes. So idk I personally think you'll find coming from the 2009 to 2003 series not as good but still enjoyable and interesting on it's own merits for not being canon.