Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 12, 2014 1:56 PM

Jun 2010
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The epilogue sequence for the storyline about Sara and Shapiro was movingly presented (I liked the slightly expanded version of the second ED which played over it), but that storyline, the best thing in this series, got barely any development. It could have been much better if more effort had been put into it.

Although this is the last episode, it doesn't have a proper ending to the story as a whole. I guess it got cancelled. An OVA was made a year or two later which did provide an ending, though.
Apr 27, 2016 12:40 AM

Feb 2008
It's a shame that it got canceled, which seems like a common thing for good mecha shows. At least it's one of the few ones that got a movie finale, just like Ideon. The final episodes really showed that it was getting cancelled.

Overall it was a really good show with great mecha progression. I really liked how they started with the base mechs and later introduced the two forms. Dancouga itself didn't even appear until 16 episodes in, which I assume hurt the ratings, but I actually really liked that.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 27, 2016 1:27 AM

Mar 2008
@ZetaZaku
Unlike Ideon though, the epilogue comes as an OVA, which definitely reflects the change in anime of the time.
Dec 15, 2017 3:34 PM

Jul 2012
Man, I really wish this didn't have an "Watch the OVA" ending - especially since the OVA and movie haven't been licensed yet.
Jul 13, 2019 8:40 AM
Sep 2017
Luna's death was a real laugh-out-loud moment for me. To be killed by accident right in the middle of your big monologue about your own greatness, while the CBF didn't even notice you (or even knew who she was), was super satisfying. Shapiro had at least a real significance for the plot. Luna did absolutely nothing........

Overall a solid finale with an ova to finish the story. I think the first half was very repetitive and slow, but the second half really picked up. A 7/10 for me.
Sep 16, 2019 4:55 AM

Apr 2011
Interesting and unique way to leave it open for a sequel (especially considering that this series was abruptly canceled)

The main four ranged from decent to great Masato being the least and Shinobu being the most.

Laura really didn't do anything or add anything... General Igor was really generic but Alan and the scientist guy were nice support characters.

I guess a 7/10 (it'd be a 6/10 but I know that they DID in fact manage a sequel so an extra point for that)
Ericonator said:
By definition, everything is retro since by the time you realize something has happened it's already in the past.
Feb 1, 2020 8:04 AM

Mar 2016
Otcho_Shogun28 said:
Luna's death was a real laugh-out-loud moment for me. To be killed by accident right in the middle of your big monologue about your own greatness, while the CBF didn't even notice you (or even knew who she was), was super satisfying. Shapiro had at least a real significance for the plot. Luna did absolutely nothing.........

I agree. I actually kinda liked Luna but I think it was a fitting way to die for someone who only existed for herself.

--

I liked this show a lot though. It was sort of a real robot story told with animal themed transforming super robots. Dancouga itself was bad ass. The characters were simple but they worked, it seems the autism level was dialed back quite a bit and they felt way more human than the usual. Shapiro ended up being a tragic character too, beginning with his 'divine' inspiration and ending with him being struck through the heart twice by the only two women in his life. They managed to make it emotional and I appreciated that. As it is an ending for Sara's journey, who was probably the best character because of her determination and compassion, it doesn't feel so 'unfinished' to me.

At first it seemed like there was a tension between old and new ways of thinking about heroism and military tactics, but it kinda turned into 'heroic sacrifice is good' lol.
syncrogazerFeb 1, 2020 8:09 AM
Jan 30, 2023 7:45 PM

Jan 2021
I was thinking all the way up until the end that it would be revealed that this was all one big deception by Shapiro, that he intentionally faked allegiance to the aliens in an attempt to take them down from the inside to save the Earth. But no, he was just a psychopath. A bit let down that wasn't the case, but he was still cool as a villain. The new ending artwork has a Yoshitaka Amano feel to it, reminds me of Kefka from FF6 how Shapiro is drawn. And kind of how he acted, especially toward the end. Laughing maniacally and thinking he was some sort of god.

Great show all around. Shame about the ending, but at least it does get one eventually (I assume; will watch the OVAs later). Even if this was the definite ending they still put a serious dent in the aliens' forces with only the emperor and Death Gaia remaining. Also what a shock the emperor has a face and the yellow monster head was just part of a helmet!

More topics from this board

Poll: » Choujuu Kishin Dancougar Episode 7 Discussion

Rod_Russ - Sep 11, 2020

2 by JaceyFox »»
10 hours ago

Poll: » Choujuu Kishin Dancougar Episode 22 Discussion

Inter_anime - Feb 10, 2023

0 by Inter_anime »»
Feb 10, 2023 3:04 PM

Poll: » Choujuu Kishin Dancougar Episode 21 Discussion

Inter_anime - Feb 10, 2023

0 by Inter_anime »»
Feb 10, 2023 2:33 PM

Poll: » Choujuu Kishin Dancougar Episode 37 Discussion

CountZeroOr - Dec 15, 2017

1 by Otcho_Shogun28 »»
Jul 13, 2019 8:30 AM

Poll: » Choujuu Kishin Dancougar Episode 20 Discussion

Otcho_Shogun28 - Jul 11, 2019

0 by Otcho_Shogun28 »»
Jul 11, 2019 4:32 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.