Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
The Irregular at Magic High School (light novel)
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Apr 13, 2014 1:31 AM

Dec 2012
Tatsuya op. I knew he was going to win, was more surprised that it ended in a blink of an eye..
Apr 13, 2014 1:54 AM
Sep 2012
The soundtracks are too good. Omg I have to get those by the time they come out!
Apr 13, 2014 2:28 AM

Apr 2013
love the OP and ED, also lol 0.5 sec fight
Apr 13, 2014 2:39 AM

Apr 2013
The vice-president making a plan on how to defeat him lasted longer than the actual fight...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 13, 2014 2:44 AM

May 2010
I really liked Honoka's friend's hairstyle, such a waste :/

A-chan is such a cutie. I am not particualy fond of Tatsuya but I dislike certain blooms more so he is okay for now, better than No Game No Life's protagonist. He obviously has the hots for his sis though :p

Very good episode. The ED song is so pleasant, it melts your ears.

8/10
Apr 13, 2014 3:37 AM

Mar 2014
In your Face, nah, dorsum Vice-President. It's first time(?) that a Weed defeated a Blossom. Tatsuya is nice guy and his joke about his feelings for her sister was funny, but we don't know the true feelings, imo.
Apr 13, 2014 3:47 AM

Mar 2013
RexZShadow said:
straggy said:

It's been 2 episodes for everyone. This is a forum for the opinions on those 2 episodes. Evidently my opinion is that the main characters have been nothing but unlikeable for two whole episodes. People don't turn to posts that say "I love this show, it's my new favourite!" after one episode and tell them to calm down because it's only been one episode, do they? Stop acting like negative opinions are wrong.

Ya thats fine if you don't like the two ep but again its only being two ep, barely time to get everyone introduced and have them develop consider how heavy info dump the LN is to set everything up. Negative opinion aren't wrong but there is also nothing wrong about telling people to have some patience.

Also yes some people say they love it, some say they don't like it and they leave it at that or give some quick reason why which you know is their opinion but most of they don't go out of the way to smash everything about the show coz you didn't like it and try to make it sound like its the most horrible thing that existed. Its not wrong to have a negative opinion, its bad to have a hateful one.

As for Miyuki yes I'll say it as many time as I need it it make sense later on, idk why people still try to argue about this, its not a prediction its fact. The LN already explain it so idk why people keep trying to argue its not, just make no sense to me.

I didn't smash everything about the show - I said I hated the main characters. I ever said I liked the secondary characters, if you actually bothered to read my post.

If that last part's about the incest, then you obviously don't understand what it is that people are complaining about. The MC saying "if we weren't related, I'd be in love with her" wasn't necessary - it was just to make his cardboard cut-out sister get the dokis and blush over how ~*~great and irresistible~*~ her brother is. It's bro-con incest pandering and it's not anywhere near the only example of it. Sisters in real life don't act like this. If you saw a girl being like this over her brother, you'd be freaked the fuck out, regardless of "reasons". Just because you keep saying it's explained and has justification (although there's really no reason for you to be in romantic love with your sibling - you can love your sibling just fine without wanting to ride his disco stick) doesn't mean it's not gross and offputting.
Apr 13, 2014 4:12 AM

Sep 2012
The explanations were longer than the fight. It has some potential, but I don't like any characters for the moment.
Apr 13, 2014 4:14 AM

May 2013
Tatsuya and the Vice-President's duel was a quick one and the part when Tatsuya said that he thought of having a romantic relationship to her sister HAHAHA.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 13, 2014 4:16 AM

Jul 2013
I already knew the guy was fast when he was complaining about it taking too long, but I didn't expect him to be this fast xD
For those who seek perfection, there can be no rest on this side of the grave.
Hope is the first step on the road to disappointment.
Apr 13, 2014 4:24 AM
Apr 2013
Tatsuya is just like the MC from the anime where there is a school heroes of other worlds go too and he brought the Demon King's daughter with him and pretends that is his sister. No talent for magic but still. They have different personalities however. The anime is pretty decent so far but it is not living up to the hype but I have heard it doesn't get good till like the third arc and it is watchable for now.
Apr 13, 2014 4:26 AM

May 2013
More of the same. 4/10 again.

Apr 13, 2014 4:59 AM

Sep 2008
I don't know how to comment on this episode. I mean, it was decent. Tatsuya is certainly BA and I loved that "fight" in the end.

The thing that bothers me the most is Bloom and Weed stuff.
It's a good idea to have some discrimination going on but so far it was really executed bad. Even in those kinds of societies elite members would not be 90% biased against those under them.
This school seems extreme in separation and I don't mean by real-world standards but by anime standards. It's not that it's unfair and that's making me annoyed, it's just annoying. Everyone is biased and prejudiced from the get-go.
That's just stupid.

This show so far has been FAR from great and FAR from greatness everyone predicted based on LN.
If I can compare it to anything it would be Fate/stay night with bigger budget. Lackluster show. Mediocre. Average. Absolutely nothing special.

Keep on saying how LN was perfect piece of art and how this show is best thing ever, there are people on FSN who said the same thing... have fun guys.
Apr 13, 2014 5:11 AM
Aug 2012
nina4life said:

The thing that bothers me the most is Bloom and Weed stuff.
It's a good idea to have some discrimination going on but so far it was really executed bad. Even in those kinds of societies elite members would not be 90% biased against those under them.
This school seems extreme in separation and I don't mean by real-world standards but by anime standards. It's not that it's unfair and that's making me annoyed, it's just annoying. Everyone is biased and prejudiced from the get-go.
That's just stupid.

So far the Blooms (a-holes in particular) are only reacting to the Weeds who are getting what they consider special treatment. Weed group being able to talk to Miyuki who qualifies as a representative of freshmans and Tatsuya getting attention from the student council. They voice their disgust which from my view is how discrimination in the real world is like. When a-hole higher ups see something they don't like they'll bitch on and on until they're satisfied.
Apr 13, 2014 5:18 AM
Feb 2011
straggy said:
dulguN said:
straggy said:
Wow these main characters are horribly unlikeable. The MC is an overpowered lump of dullness and his sister is an emotionless creep that only has an ounce of personality when her boring brother strokes her neck and starts a squirting fest under her ugly summer dress of a uniform. If any of you turns around and starts screaming that it's "not incest" and "there's a reason for it" - yeah, the reason is called incest pandering. His sister so far has been nothing but a character-boosting lump of fanservice whose only role is to swoon and squirm inappropriately about her brother. She has literally done nothing else.

The only likeable characters so far in fact were the less prominent secondary characters, mostly Rin-chan (whatever her actual name was, cause she doesn't seem to even be in the character list) and Watanabe. I'm still waiting for Juumonji and he still isn't here and if he isn't worth it then into the trash this overhyped show goes.

hate is real with this one haha. its unlikeable for you.

I didn't even say I hated the show lol. The before show specials were good and the show had promise but its shitty unlikeable main characters are ruining it, damn.

And wow, no shit that it's unlikeable for me? It's likeable for you, apparently. It's called an opinion. Do you know what one is?

i meant those main characters are unlikeable for you but likeable for me. Since you said they're unlikeable MCs.
And i thought you hated it by what you said on first post. for me that seems like hate comment nothing more.
Apr 13, 2014 5:49 AM

Feb 2013
All of those bitching about mc are like hattori hanzo .....u can say all you but the mc gonna own your ass. In all the manga and light novel never seen a badass mc than him .............(morasaki : next time I am gonna own u .....tatsuya : in war there is no next time
Apr 13, 2014 5:55 AM

Dec 2012
Shiba Tatsuya is pretty awesome ♥♥

- barely alive -
Apr 13, 2014 6:20 AM

Aug 2013
Gotta be embarassing to lose just like that after all that speak >.>
Great episode, once again.
Apr 13, 2014 6:54 AM

Dec 2012
That was exciting. The Vice-president got rekt.
Apr 13, 2014 7:27 AM

Apr 2013
Hehehe, I can't wait until more of his secrets are revealed :D

Apr 13, 2014 7:40 AM

Jan 2013
I honestly thought that joke was serious at first haha
Great episode!
Apr 13, 2014 7:47 AM

Jun 2013
The asswhooping of the vice president felt especially satisfying. It was long overdue. Hope he learns his place and gets off his high horse from now on, bastard didn't even greet Tatsuya in the student council room (I had a very manly urge to deck him in the nose right there).
Apr 13, 2014 7:48 AM
Jan 2011
Oh poor Vice Pres, if only he known that he's dealing with an ex warrior.
Apr 13, 2014 7:49 AM
Dec 2013
I was hoping for more action after that little sample they gave us in the first episode, but at least the vice president got his lol
Apr 13, 2014 8:24 AM

Apr 2012
I thought the duel is going to continue over to the next episode. Fortunately it is over.
My Reviews and Rants: http://bunny1ov3r.wordpress.com/

痛就是爱
Apr 13, 2014 8:38 AM

Dec 2010
I loved the progression of Mahouka already. Unlike that of SAO adaptation, it doesn't feel at all rushed when place beside it's LN progression.
Explanation of the student council is adequate yet doesn't feel dragged; credit to who decided what to keep in the anime & what to leave out.

Tatsuya's incest tease...that's the golden moment of this episode :D

That finale finisher, I like how the used the effects which can be used in an anime to help explain how Tatsuya fell the Hattori in less than 10 seconds flat. Going to be interesting at how they handle the complex mechanics next week (and on a side note, how much haters are going to whine at it).
Apr 13, 2014 9:11 AM

Sep 2008

Ehm, if what you wrote is true, THAN PUT FUCKING SPOILER TAG!

If not, I apologize for my outburst.
Apr 13, 2014 9:18 AM

Dec 2013
Bigoted Vice President gets OWNED! Can't get enough of that part, even though I've read the manga thrice and that section of the LN once.

Given this is a 2 cour, and the way they're handling the progression, I get the feeling that we're going to go way past the 9SC arc and hit upon the Yokohama Disturbance arc.

I've read too far ahead in this series so I somewhat know what the foreshadowing is going on, and plus it was kind of spoiled for us in the OP, no? Even though anime-only watchers may probably not know what I mean, but if they're smart enough I"m pretty sure that they can speculate about 50% of Tatsuya and Miyuki's back story correctly enough.

In any case, I don't mind if we get to the YD arc in this season, because thats when the big reveal comes :D

Bring on next week already!
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 13, 2014 9:35 AM
Oct 2013
nina4life said:

Ehm, if what you wrote is true, THAN PUT FUCKING SPOILER TAG!

If not, I apologize for my outburst.

Tatsuya isn't an ex warrior. This guy should look for better spoilers before posting things that aren't correct.
Apr 13, 2014 9:43 AM

May 2013
Just 2 words to describe this episode 'very handsome'

5/5
Apr 13, 2014 9:46 AM
Mar 2014
i haven't read the manga so i'm not aware of the characters and also i can't judge it by watching only one episode ,i hope i can post a positive feedback after i'm done with second episode :)
Apr 13, 2014 10:02 AM

Oct 2013
Is it too much to ask that the anime put the description of things at the top of the screen when they're mentioned? Or a description slide during the middle break of the episode? At this point, anything is better than what we've been getting. Plus what happened to Tatsuya's monologue this episode? Couldn't that be used to explain things like the Engraving-type magic or helmet-splitting Erika mentioned at the beginning of the episode?
Apr 13, 2014 10:06 AM
Aug 2012
millie10468 said:
Is it too much to ask that the anime put the description of things at the top of the screen when they're mentioned? Or a description slide during the middle break of the episode? At this point, anything is better than what we've been getting. Plus what happened to Tatsuya's monologue this episode? Couldn't that be used to explain things like the Engraving-type magic or helmet-splitting Erika mentioned at the beginning of the episode?

This is still a much better episode. The first episodes felt disjointed because of the lack of monologues. Lets hope they do well in the next episode.

Apr 13, 2014 10:12 AM

Oct 2013
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
millie10468 said:

This is still a much better episode. The first episodes felt disjointed because of the lack of monologues. Lets hope they do well in the next episode.

I hope so too. Tat's monologue made for some fine reading. I would be extremely disappointed if it was taken out :(
While this was indeed a better episode, I'm reminded of why the Enrollment arc is my least reread arc. Couldn't we get to the latter part of the arc faster? The time they're taking makes me wonder if the Yokohama arc is even possible at this point...
Apr 13, 2014 10:17 AM

Mar 2013
I'll give it one more epide unti I drop it.

Apr 13, 2014 10:22 AM

Sep 2010
The first episode didn't really hook me, but this one was definitely an improvement..
Can the main not express emotion or something?
Apr 13, 2014 10:22 AM
Apr 2014
I actually made and account to clear up any questions about Tatsuya's "pseudo underdog" characteristic in a non-spoiler way,

If the school was a school for piano prodigies and everyone that attended was brilliant and creative when it comes to composing music. Tatsuya is a genius at understanding the mathematics of music and music theory, he can play the instrument to perfection. Sadly for him, he cannot create new music of his own, he just can't find the ability to craft new melodies.

The school he is attending cares solely about creativity and innovation, so no matter how great Tatsuya is, the school's opinion on his worth will be negative.

Although we can differ on how the anime presented this, Tatsuya is not a façade of a weak character. People make assumptions about him because that's the way society works. Rather than an underdog with secret abilities, he's more aptly described as being skilled in areas that the school and society just don't value.

A small note about him being OP, if being OP is simply being very strong, than I guess you can make that claim. For me, being OP is having little to no complications in fighting and have no restrictions. Everything just goes the character's way, for no reason whatsoever. Tatsuya is not perfect, and he does not reflect the general characterization of a perfect character (although I can understand how the first two episodes would make it seem that way).
Apr 13, 2014 10:23 AM
Aug 2012
millie10468 said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
millie10468 said:

I hope so too. Tat's monologue made for some fine reading. I would be extremely disappointed if it was taken out :(
While this was indeed a better episode, I'm reminded of why the Enrollment arc is my least reread arc. Couldn't we get to the latter part of the arc faster? The time they're taking makes me wonder if the Yokohama arc is even possible at this point...

No they can't. At least 6-7 episodes are necessary for Enrollment arc. While it is the weakest arc, it still serves as an introduction for characters and introduces some important explanations that are important for later. Even though they are cutting down explanation, Enrollment arc can't be just fast forwarded. That's how i feel anyway..........

Apr 13, 2014 10:33 AM

Oct 2013
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
millie10468 said:
Dragon_Slayer_X said:
millie10468 said:

No they can't. At least 6-7 episodes are necessary for Enrollment arc. While it is the weakest arc, it still serves as an introduction for characters and introduces some important explanations that are important for later. Even though they are cutting down explanation, Enrollment arc can't be just fast forwarded. That's how i feel anyway..........

No, I meant the latter part of the Enrollment arc, with the introduction of certain characters who are in clubs...
Apr 13, 2014 10:34 AM
Oct 2013
FenixDragon43 said:
The first episode didn't really hook me, but this one was definitely an improvement..
Can the main not express emotion or something?

Apr 13, 2014 10:47 AM

Apr 2014
millie10468 said:

Thats exactly what I mentioned earlier in this thread. His monologues was one of the things that kept me interested. Its a shame they removed it.
Apr 13, 2014 10:59 AM
Jul 2013
Tatsuya is not a loser. Just because he "kicks-ass" in the first episode and has a cool personality doesn't mean he is OP. I think, he is just strong. Still, I guess there are many other strong characters out there, on his level who want to fight him. It won't become boring, because he can't use magic.

I actually like this kind of characters who have some confidence and are not totally needy too.. For example naruto is really uncool most of the time (when I watched) or these "tiny small" guy MC's who are soo shy and submissive all the time, they never do anything besides talking and imaging perverse situations with some girls who are way out of their league.They have luck, that everybody is magically attracted to them, because they do something like say "hi,you have nice hair" and some cute girl starts blushing :D or talk big. Insecure people probably like watching small characters who are just like them, seeming big and cool because of a supernatural power,sadly the MC's are still incompetent just like the watchers in reallife. Characters like in Kaze no stigma,chrome shelled, Densetsu no Yūsha,Code geass,death note...are always nice and refreshing. That doesn't mean that I don't like other types of animes, sometimes there is some nice character development or good comedy.
Apr 13, 2014 11:03 AM

Apr 2014
Myklen said:
Tatsuya is not a loser. Just because he "kicks-ass" in the first episode and has a cool personality doesn't mean he is OP. I think, he is just strong. Still, I guess there are many other strong characters out there, on his level who want to fight him. It won't become boring, because he can't use magic.

I actually like this kind of characters who have some confidence and are not totally needy too.. For example naruto is really uncool most of the time (when I watched) or these "tiny small" guy MC's who are soo shy and submissive all the time, they never do anything besides talking and imaging perverse situations with some girls who are way out of their league.They have luck, that everybody is magically attracted to them, because they do something like say "hi,you have nice hair" and some cute girl starts blushing :D or talk big. Insecure people probably like watching small characters who are just like them, seeming big and cool because of a supernatural power,sadly the MC's are still incompetent just like the watchers in reallife. Characters like in Kaze no stigma,chrome shelled, Densetsu no Yūsha,Code geass,death note...are always nice and refreshing. That doesn't mean that I don't like other types of animes, sometimes there is some nice character development or good comedy.

Z4KApr 13, 2014 11:13 AM
Apr 13, 2014 11:04 AM
Mar 2014
It's like meeting high schooler or college student Einstein and call him stupid.

If you judge a turtle by its ability to climb a tree, you have one stupid turtle.

If you judge Tatsuya by his spell activation speed, you got a poor student.
Apr 13, 2014 11:08 AM

Feb 2014
millie10468 said:

I was wondering if you guys would prefer to have Yohohoma Disturbance Arc adapted this season or in a second season, OVA series or movie?

So far I'm loving the pacing of Mahouka and I think it is possible we may see Yohohoma Disturbance animated this season which will be awesome.

On a side note how brilliant is the OST!!!!
AzlanApr 13, 2014 11:11 AM
Apr 13, 2014 11:09 AM

Jan 2009
Z4k said:
Myklen said:

He's not "just" strong because he's a walking nuke.

Please use the spoiler tag. But yea I'll agree that strong doesn't do Tatsuya any justification.

Anyway I felt this episode was kinda rushed considering the great pacing in episode 1. I didn't like how they left out a lot of the infomation from the original LN. Sure they wanted to avoid info dumping but how many anime only viewers actually knows that CAD stands for casting assistant device or how the magic in this verse actually works? How many actually know about the 4 great systems and 8 systems of magic? I thought that at the very least the CAD's functions should be explained
halberdiersApr 13, 2014 11:13 AM
Apr 13, 2014 11:15 AM

Apr 2014
halberdiers said:
Z4k said:
Myklen said:

Please use the spoiler tag. But yea I'll agree that strong doesn't do Tatsuya any justification.

Anyway I felt this episode was kinda rushed considering the great pacing in episode 1. I didn't like how they left out a lot of the infomation from the original LN. Sure they wanted to avoid info dumping but how many anime only viewers actually knows that CAD stands for casting assistant device or how the magic in this verse actually works? How many actually know about the 4 great systems and 8 systems of magic? I thought that at the very least the CAD's functions should be explained

Apr 13, 2014 11:25 AM
Apr 2014
Z4k said:
halberdiers said:
Z4k said:
Myklen said:

I think they explained some of it in the chibi episodes called mahouka for dummies
Apr 13, 2014 11:31 AM

Jul 2010
This episode was a significant improvement from the first, admittedly, I actually enjoyed this episode. Though the incestuous comments are still grating.
Apr 13, 2014 11:56 AM
Mar 2012
lel this is like the next generation of anime innuendos, we are tired of the lolis so welcome the incest.
Pages (11) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Sep 27, 2014

457 by ExSant0 »»
5 hours ago

Poll: » Mahouka Koukou no Rettousei Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - May 3, 2014

308 by taifd77 »»
Apr 6, 8:00 AM

» Romance Tag?

akihiko132 - Dec 8, 2020

4 by fqdnl »»
Apr 3, 6:27 PM

Poll: » Shipping For Tatsuya X .......

Ricky16 - Sep 1, 2023

28 by AGiantWeeb »»
Mar 24, 6:34 AM

» Question for LN readers

Artorias94 - Feb 19

4 by StarZone1 »»
Feb 20, 4:26 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.