Forum Settings
Forums

Which is more important to you. An anime's quality or an anime's popularity?

New
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »
Apr 10, 2014 5:20 PM

Apr 2013
Korrvo said:
FGAU1912 said:
Korrvo said:
FGAU1912 said:
insanity- said:
Quality. It doesn't matter how popular an anime is, it could still suck. The quality matters to me.

HEANCE WHY THE LTE NIGHT SLOCK that give anime a bad name is rated so highly on mal funny that
the fuck is a lte night slock

late night slock
so what would that be

I'm guessing shows that are played in late night time slots

Date-chan, it's "Slot" not "slock"

Nov 2010
Korrvo said:
FGAU1912 said:
Korrvo said:
FGAU1912 said:
insanity- said:
Quality. It doesn't matter how popular an anime is, it could still suck. The quality matters to me.

HEANCE WHY THE LTE NIGHT SLOCK that give anime a bad name is rated so highly on mal funny that

late night slock
so what would that be
Anime you like.
Mar 2011
Korrvo said:
FGAU1912 said:
Korrvo said:
FGAU1912 said:
insanity- said:

late night slock
so what would that be

any thing that showed at beyond 11pm on tv
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
Apr 10, 2014 5:25 PM

Jan 2013
Not everyone cares as much about Crayon Shin-chan as you do, Date-chan. Try to cope with that fact.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Apr 10, 2014 5:26 PM

Sep 2012
FGAU1912 said:
Korrvo said:
FGAU1912 said:
Korrvo said:
FGAU1912 said:
insanity- said:

late night slock
so what would that be

my fucking..

be specific

I already knew that
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 10, 2014 5:26 PM
Mar 2011
geezdad said:
Not everyone cares as much about Crayon Shin-chan as you do, Date-chan. Try to cope with that fact.

over simplifaction of my point here
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

Apr 10, 2014 5:27 PM
Mar 2011
Korrvo said:
FGAU1912 said:
Korrvo said:
FGAU1912 said:
Korrvo said:
FGAU1912 said:
insanity- said:

late night slock
so what would that be

my fucking..

be specific

I already knew that

why ask then

Apr 10, 2014 5:28 PM

Jan 2013
FGAU1912 said:
geezdad said:

Do you even have a point?
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Apr 10, 2014 5:30 PM

Sep 2012
geezdad said:
FGAU1912 said:
geezdad said:

nope
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 10, 2014 5:33 PM
Mar 2011
geezdad said:
FGAU1912 said:
geezdad said:

yes i do it is these late night anime that stop anime from being comign a proper mainsteam product gain[ yes 2 bllioon USD peryear is ok ] but pre satalight nad cable and UHF era anime was as an industy was making more Total profit from bothn Japanese an shock horror international markets yes i went there

Apr 10, 2014 5:34 PM

Apr 2013
Is this even a legitimate question? Who gives a fuck how popular an anime is.
Apr 10, 2014 5:37 PM

Sep 2012
FGAU1912 said:
geezdad said:
FGAU1912 said:
geezdad said:

yes i do it is these late night anime that stop anime from being comign a proper mainsteam product gain[ yes 2 bllioon USD peryear is ok ] but pre satalight nad cable and UHF era anime was as an industy was making more Total profit from bothn Japanese an shock horror international markets yes i went there
Are you typing like that on purpose?

Please tell me it's on purpose.

12274 posts makes me worried that might not be on purpose.
Apr 10, 2014 5:37 PM

Jan 2013
FGAU1912 said:
yes i went there
Give me a moment to calm myself after that shocking information, Date-chan.

Ok.

We're talking from the consumers perspective. Consumers (should) care about quality, not about what makes the most money for a company.
Ergo: everything you have just said has no value in this discussion.

And one question: who's making these "late night slock" anime? I bet it's not the consumers.
aerostatApr 10, 2014 5:41 PM
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Apr 10, 2014 5:46 PM

Sep 2012
Korrvo said:
geezdad said:
FGAU1912 said:
geezdad said:

nope

He does have a "piont" though.
Apr 10, 2014 5:46 PM

Jan 2014
Enjoyability.

Popularity equals haters and fujoshi. Quality... I can't imagine recommending anime to my friend with, "This is a high quality anime." I mean, it's just an entertainment. Sure it would be nice if it has a nice and complex story, superb art, and stuffs, but I don't think that's what I look for from an entertainment. Quality in anime is like, download the highest quality 1080p super HD-version. And I prefer 480p... #okay

But if I have to choose, I'd go with popularity so I can get another season. I'm happy if my favorite anime is in top ten sales but not really happy if some elitists praise it.
Apr 10, 2014 5:47 PM
Mar 2011
geezdad said:
FGAU1912 said:
yes i went there

Ok.

We're talking from the consumers perspective. Consumers (should) care about quality, not about what makes the most money for a company.

i dont talk about internatonla markets usaally but now i will

outside of multimidia crossovers like hello kitty you can buy hello kitty in most deloved nations

the most profittable Frances of all time for now are Gundam and Dragonball

was not Dragonball[ or Z] shown in prime time slot in the us ] useing the three blocks that Japanese TV call prime time 06;30 to 0900 14;59 to 18;00 and 19;01- 22;59

daytime tv has never been prime time here beacuse of reason that people should know about japanese work eitic

Apr 10, 2014 5:47 PM

Oct 2013
Quality but I would prefer both

Apr 10, 2014 5:48 PM

Jan 2013
FGAU1912 said:
geezdad said:
FGAU1912 said:
yes i went there

Ok.

outside of multimidia crossovers like hello kitty you can buy hello kitty in most deloved nations

was not Dragonball[ or Z] shown in prime time slot in the us ] useing the three blocks that Japanese TV call prime time 06;30 to 0900 14;59 to 18;00 and 19;01- 22;59

daytime tv has never been prime time here beacuse of reason that people should know about japanese work eitic
And nobody cares about that.
Do you press a random number on a machine and then a random non-related fact pops up for you to reply?
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Apr 10, 2014 5:49 PM
Mar 2011
bestpsychosean said:
Quality but I would prefer both

never happen becuase of stupid us anime licensors not putiing there shows on were they should go

Apr 10, 2014 5:51 PM
Mar 2011
geezdad said:
FGAU1912 said:
geezdad said:
FGAU1912 said:
yes i went there

Ok.

And nobody cares about that.

there alot of people who ask why anime is not mainsteam in the west[sic] and waat i have said above exaplins why smiple as that

Apr 10, 2014 5:51 PM

Dec 2012
FGAU1912 said:

Wait, are you saying Japan should produce more Hello Kitty and less Mushishi?

Also I collected all 7 dragonballs, can I make a wish about your grammar?
Apr 10, 2014 5:53 PM

Jan 2013
FGAU1912 said:
there alot of people who ask why anime is not mainsteam in the west[sic] and waat i have said above exaplins why smiple as that
A lot of people ask why their favourite anime isn't mainstream in the west. Big difference. When they are talking about anime, they are not talking about the shows you watch.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Apr 10, 2014 5:54 PM
Mar 2011
Ratohnhaketon said:
FGAU1912 said:

Wait, are you saying Japan should produce more Hello Kitty and less Mushishi?

Also I collected all 7 dragonballs, can I make a wish about your grammar?

no im just saying we wil because it make world wide green

Apr 10, 2014 5:56 PM

Jan 2013
FGAU1912 said:
there alot of people who ask why anime is not mainsteam in the west[sic]
I enjoyed your use of sic erat scriptum, Date-chan.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
Apr 10, 2014 5:57 PM
Mar 2011
geezdad said:
FGAU1912 said:
A lot of people ask why their favourite anime isn't mainstream in the west. Big difference. When they are talking about anime, they are not talking about the shows you watch.

anime needs the main stream shows to be mainstrem
the math is simple there
the lovers of late night sholck hurts that push cuase the studios make them and dont ever think there own product will be mainstrem

Apr 10, 2014 6:14 PM

Oct 2012
Quality of course. To like or dislike something purely because it's popular is foolish.

Apr 10, 2014 7:18 PM

Dec 2008
While I admit popularity does attract me into checking out some series, I would rather have it be a quality show. When I see people who don't regularly watch anime really praise a certain series, it gets me interested, especially the people who I know watch anime fairly regularly agree with them.

For example, it took me a long time to finally watch Fullmetal Alchemist because while I was intrigued by its massive popularity, I also shied away from it for that very same reason. I wasn't sure if I was going to like it and despite so many people liking it, I wasn't fully convinced if it was truly amazing as some people made it out to be. That's why popularity doesn't always equal quality - people can like it and praise it, but that doesn't mean it's truly a quality show.

The nice part about popularity is more merchandise, more people to discuss it with, and easier to show it to others. The nice part about quality is something truly worth watching and possibly rewatching and discussing it with people who have seen it or may be interested in seeing it. There are some shows I'd like to see gain more popularity, but I'm also happy that they are what they are.
Apr 10, 2014 7:29 PM
Apr 2014
Quality.

I found that "mainstreaming" made me shy away from most anime that I would potentially like. Granted I was naive at the time thinking anime was just a bunch of kawaii desu ne archytypes and little girls doing pointless stuff. (ohwait sliceoflife i kid) Still I like finding anime by myself because I don't have to base my expectations off someone elses reviews.
Hai forces
Apr 10, 2014 9:40 PM
Jun 2013
Quality, to me anime like attack on titan is just average, nothing special about it
Apr 10, 2014 10:06 PM

Mar 2013
Depends. When something is hyped I normally watch it but with praised anime I try to see why it's so praised.
added the fourth most popular anime onto this site
Apr 10, 2014 11:09 PM

Jun 2013
Quality, of course, is more essential. What's the point of watching an anime if the quality is lower than lowest depths of hell? But there's a "but". Sometimes, popularity makes a good anime rise. You can discover good anime based on its popularity such as Fullmetal Alchemist, Steins;Gate, etc. etc.

Also, popularity rises some "not-so-good" animes overlapping some brilliant unpopular animes which we call "hidden gems" such as Gin no Saji (here I am again) and Hajime no Ippo (not popular because it's a long running and majority of viewers are loyal fans following it from the very start).

So yeah, it depends on circumstances but I recommend picking animes based on their quality by checking reviews and source material and analyze the premise/prologue with your own judgement.
Apr 11, 2014 1:19 AM

Apr 2013
FGAU1912 said:
geezdad said:
FGAU1912 said:

the math is simple there
the lovers of late night sholck hurts that push cuase the studios make them and dont ever think there own product will be mainstrem

I'm pretty sure Sazae-san wouldn't help anime become mainstream in the west...
5 main aspects I base my ratings on:
1. Did DramaEnthusiast make a thread about it?
2. Is it better than Breaking Bad?
3. Did MellowJello recommend the shit out of it?
4. Has it caused a (very entertaining) shitstorm on MAL?
5. Is it actually good?

Scratch the fifth point, it's not very relevant...
Apr 11, 2014 1:31 AM

Dec 2013
popularity...becose SAO was good...when an anime becomes popular everyone startes to praise it which makes me despise of it , the more hipster anime the better! D:<
Apr 11, 2014 1:36 AM

Mar 2014
Kyotouryuu said:
popularity...becose SAO was good...when an anime becomes popular everyone startes to praise it which makes me despise of it , the more hipster anime the better! D:<

SAO was never good
SAO was and is mediocre

A good idea ruined by fuckin' terrible execution and awful archetypical characters.
Apr 11, 2014 1:39 AM

Sep 2012
Quality of course!!!!

but all popular animes are good quality isn't it ?
Apr 11, 2014 1:41 AM

Dec 2013
He was sarcastic
Beta never gives up
Never hide, Never be discouraged
Never accept friendzone
Apr 11, 2014 1:42 AM

Mar 2014
FlawlessBliss said:
He was sarcastic

If he was, he didn't do a very good job.

He almost convinced me that he was what he was attempting to parody.

... I assume we're talking about the same thing here?
Apr 11, 2014 1:48 AM

Jan 2012
Most of the time I just try and watch something that looks interesting that I happen to find, only later do I discover if it's popular or not. In fact I tend to avoid some of the notoriously popular series but find I get to them eventually. I'm not sure if I'd say quality is most important then so much as enjoyability, but popularity usually has little to do with it.
Apr 11, 2014 1:48 AM

Mar 2014
Quality. Too much popularity can actually make people turn away from an anime and detest it.
Apr 11, 2014 1:55 AM
Mar 2011
geralt said:
FGAU1912 said:
geezdad said:
FGAU1912 said:

the math is simple there

I'm pretty sure Sazae-san wouldn't help anime become mainstream in the west...

way to miss the point

Apr 11, 2014 2:03 AM

Aug 2011
Quality, never cared about it's popularity.
Smiles and laughter are always good, but never forget your Poker Face.~
Apr 11, 2014 2:04 AM

Feb 2013
"What's best? Quality or quantity?": the answer dwells in the question.
My list - "Let's share our lame sides" (Danshi Koukousei no Nichijou)
Apr 11, 2014 2:09 AM
Apr 11, 2014 2:10 AM

Apr 2010
Popularity. If it's popular, I don't want to see it. Can't have my hipster card getting revoked.
Apr 11, 2014 2:25 AM

Jan 2014
Quality. If it's overly popular I usually just avoid it.

But there are a few exceptions where an anime with quality is also popular. Best example is probably Death Note. I was forced to read the first two chapters, and what a surprise.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Apr 11, 2014 4:18 AM

Jan 2009
quality > quantity
Apr 11, 2014 4:21 AM

Apr 2011
j0x said:
quality > quantity

Wrong thread, bro.
Apr 11, 2014 4:22 AM

Dec 2012
Popularity. Like ohhh my gawd, if it's like sooo 5 minutes ago then it's not happening. Nuh-uh. It's all about what's the current kuro, know what I'm sayin'? I will not settle for some no name pretender trying to rain in on my beauty day, no sir-ie!
Apr 11, 2014 4:26 AM

Jan 2014
^ What da fug is going on there...?

But I would choose for quality. Just watching an anime based on it's popularity is ultimately a bit narrow-minded. If you disregard the actual content of basically ANY type of entertainment media, you pretty much lost lost your ability to think for yourself...
Apr 11, 2014 4:28 AM

Apr 2011
Yhuuro said:
^ What da fug is going on there...?

But I would choose for quality. Just watching an anime based on it's popularity is ultimately a bit narrow-minded. If you disregard the actual content of basically ANY type of entertainment media, you pretty much lost lost your ability to think for yourself...

Disagree, watching something because it's popular and liking something because it's popular are two very different things.
Pages (7) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 »

More topics from this board

» How is anime doing in the UK these days?

VeryRedBags - 4 hours ago

7 by tchitchouan »»
41 seconds ago

Poll: » What's with all the hate from the MAL community towards Anitubers?

Alpha_1_Zero - 1 hour ago

19 by LSSJ_Gaming »»
1 minute ago

» Is it weird to be attracted to anime characters under the age of 18?

bluefin2004 - 3 hours ago

17 by tchitchouan »»
2 minutes ago

» Early-mid 2000s anime – what are your thoughts?

Haneken2086 - Apr 23

36 by funtime43_tr »»
6 minutes ago

» Women tend to have superior anime preferences compared to men? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - Apr 23

99 by watsym »»
10 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.