Forum Settings
Forums

Which is more important to you. An anime's quality or an anime's popularity?

New
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2014 1:08 PM

Nov 2010
SetsukoHara said:
I've never been banned even once. Don't know how it's possible to be banned from this forums unless you ask for it.
Me neither. Just one warning for posting an NSFM picture(which really wasn't NSFM) and making a quote chain(it was like 4 quotes long).
Apr 9, 2014 1:09 PM

Nov 2011
Red_Keys said:
BlackSabotage said:
I mean your a hypocrite, and your proud of it. I'm a hypocrite but I'm trying to work on that. Most people are hypocrites but overlook their hypocrisy.
I can throw out random insults too. Doesn't make them true.

If you actually have reasons to call me a hypocrite, I'd love to hear them. That's what I originally meant by "what the hell are you talking about".

For one you complain about political correctness yet you bash anime like Death to club angel for not being politically correct.
Apr 9, 2014 1:11 PM

Mar 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
SetsukoHara said:
I've never been banned even once. Don't know how it's possible to be banned from this forums unless you ask for it.
Me neither. Just one warning for posting an NSFM picture(which really wasn't NSFM) and making a quote chain(it was like 4 quotes long).
You can get banned for quote chaining?

Feb 2010
SetsukoHara said:

It's probability. Only some threads get reported and depending on how directly you were breaking the rules you might just get a warning or get ignored. Having a high density of rule-breaking posts just makes the probability higher. And after a few bans the mods probably know your name so you'll have it harder to get away with anything in the future. The first few bans are just unluck or deserved I guess, but from what I can gather they start to accumulate at some point.
I probably regret this post by now.

Oct 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
SetsukoHara said:
I got banned twice for posting a meme. Whenever img will be enabled again, I predict I'll be banned again within a week

Sep 2012
Korrvo said:
Zeally said:
Korrvo said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Makes sense. Though my 1 ban has only made me more determined to deal out righteous insults in the rare opportunities where they equal justice.
All my ban has done as made me determined not to make quality threads anymore.

Everyone's a critic.

were they lupadim quality? :3
It was so quality it even said quality in the title.

Should Pandering shows be considered bad?
Males Using Female Avatars

Hum... Some existential questions _Corvo_ .

Apr 9, 2014 1:12 PM

Jan 2013
SetsukoHara said:
geezdad said:
^ You seem to change personalities like every month.

Everytime he completes an anime actually.
That explains.
Makomonogatari said:
lupadim said:
And the best part is that no one can prove it wrong
The best part is that you somehow actually exist.
Apr 9, 2014 1:13 PM

Feb 2010
yazio said:
IntroverTurtle said:
SetsukoHara said:

I would hope so. I hate quote pyramids and the often get out of hand (talking 10-20 quotes in one posting). I think you'll just get warnings though like Intro said, not a ban.
Apr 9, 2014 1:14 PM

Nov 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
BlackSabotage said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
What a fun thread this has become. And I almost wrote a serious reply.

hybreezy said:
Tallon is just strongly opinionated which rubs people the wrong way when they don't agree with him and he rips them a new one.

Trust me, the only issue with him is that he immediately starts insulting everybody he replies to when he doesn't agree with them. Even if he's correcting a typo he'll call you 'dimwit' in the process, even if he's telling people that their shitposts are against the rules, he'll insult them in the process, also breaking the rules. He's a hypocrite that never cares about the subject matter as long as he finds a fault or fallacy he can point out while calling the person who committed said fault or fallacy a 'stupid fucking idiot'. Not that he isn't often right, but that's not how someone argues that cares about making a point, that's how someone argues who simply gets joy from talking down to others. Red_keys is awfully polite compared to Tallon.

Please don't make it sound like having and arguing opinions is a reason to dislike someone. It's all about the tone and how one chooses to express himself when communicating with others.

I don't hate any one for having a different opinion, but I like to debate just hate how they never turn out civil. Most of my insults are actually meant to be tongue in cheek. Introverturtle pisses me off but I don't legitimately hate him.

I am interested in your serious reply though.

It's funny because in my experience Intro is the nicest guy and still patiently answers stupid questions in thread where I either just troll or snap at the OP. I don't even know how the beef between you two started.

Anyway, my serious reply was along the lines of popularity (number of viewers) and 'quality' (as in high rating) kinda go hand in hand on MAL. Not every popular show will get a high rating, but it's almost impossible for an unpopular show (a few hundred or a few thousand viewers tops) to get a rating above 8 or 8.5 because of all the casuals who rate everything 9 or higher, while unpopular shows are mostly watched by people who have bigger lists and/or use the full scale of ratings. So a show with a few hundred votes and an average of 7.8 or something is likely to be as good as a popular 8.8 rated show, and a popular show in the 6.xx range is likely to be crap while unpopular shows in the 6.xx range can be any kind of quality.
So if you pick your shows by rating you'll still end up with almost exclusively popular shows. I think that may be why it seems to you that a lot of people value popularity over quality (ratings and reviews are really the only thing you can use to judge the potential quality of a show before you've actually seen it).

I think between me and Turtle its just bad chemistry. Perhaps we just rub each other the wrong way. But yeah I don't really pick shows based on rating actually I often pay more attention to the reviews and synopsis when picking out anime to watch.

Jul 2013
SetsukoHara said:
Korrvo said:
Zeally said:
Korrvo said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Makes sense. Though my 1 ban has only made me more determined to deal out righteous insults in the rare opportunities where they equal justice.

Everyone's a critic.

lol wait what

Nov 2010
yazio said:
IntroverTurtle said:
SetsukoHara said:
If you do it long enough. Like Higashi said, it's mostly a warning. But I bet you can get banned if you do it long enough to where the mods know you're doing it on purpose.
Apr 9, 2014 1:15 PM

Sep 2012
BlackSabotage said:
For one you complain about political correctness yet you bash anime like Death to club angel for not being politically correct.
I bash Dokuro-chan for being a morally abhorrent glorification of torture and bullying. Not for being "politically incorrect". I'm not sure where you're pulling that from.

Also, what do you mean "complain about political correctness"? I remember you said that before in another thread. I ignored it then though, because you misquoted me. Another user deliberately corrected you, so I figured it wouldn't be necessary for me to add anything else. But I guess not, apparently.
Apr 9, 2014 1:17 PM

Mar 2012
IntroverTurtle said:
yazio said:
If you do it long enough. Like Higashi said, it's mostly a warning. But I bet you can get banned if you do it long enough to where the mods know you're doing it on purpose.
Good to know, time to start reporting I'll take that into consideration for the future.
Apr 9, 2014 1:18 PM

Nov 2011
Red_Keys said:
BlackSabotage said:
I bash Dokuro-chan for being a morally abhorrent glorification of torture and bullying. Not for being "politically incorrect". I'm not sure where you're pulling that from.

Also, what do you mean "complain about political correctness"? I remember you said that before in another thread. I ignored it then though, because you misquoted me. Another user deliberately corrected you, so I figured it wouldn't be necessary for me to add anything else. But I guess not, apparently.

I recall you getting pissed because everyone was being politically correct and you were upset cause you couldn't bash gays.
Apr 9, 2014 1:19 PM

Nov 2010
yazio said:
IntroverTurtle said:
yazio said:
Good to know, time to start reporting I'll take that into consideration for the future.
Ask a mod but the limit is like 3 until you're supposed to delete it or put it in a spoiler.
Apr 9, 2014 1:19 PM

Sep 2012
hybreezy said:
SetsukoHara said:

lol wait what

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=569889&show=0

Casual Discussion thread. It's not that bad compared to what you usually see in this sub-forum.
Apr 9, 2014 1:20 PM

Feb 2010
@BlackSabotage:
Well, taking into account the synopsis (aka 'Am I even interested in this') beforehand is kinda implied I would think. I personally trust the average score (keeping in mind the popularity as mentioned above) more than some individual reviewers in most cases. There are exceptions, but like 90% of the 8.x rated shows on MAL in my range of genres turn out to be at least a decent 7/10 for me, that's good enough for me to keep trusting public opinion to some degree. I'm very skeptical about most reviewers though.
Apr 9, 2014 1:21 PM

Jun 2012
Popularity.
It's all about making the green in the end, ya know.

I've never actually gotten a warning. Even if I throw a simple, justified insult someone's way a mod will ban me.

SetsukoHara said:
geezdad said:
^ You seem to change personalities like every month.

Everytime he completes an anime actually.
Sometimes even when he starts an Anime.
Nothing wrong with being impressionable though, I guess.
Apr 9, 2014 1:23 PM

Feb 2014
Thanks for the good read for lunch bros. I love you all.
Apr 9, 2014 1:24 PM

Nov 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
@BlackSabotage:
Well, taking into account the synopsis (aka 'Am I even interested in this') beforehand is kinda implied I would think. I personally trust the average score (keeping in mind the popularity as mentioned above) more than some individual reviewers in most cases. There are exceptions, but like 90% of the 8.x rated shows on MAL in my range of genres turn out to be at least a decent 7/10 for me, that's good enough for me to keep trusting public opinion to some degree. I'm very skeptical about most reviewers though.

Yeah but some shows have low scores do to age or obscurity. Look at Cutey Honey of the 70s and Gegege no kitaro. Classic shows with bad ratings do to age.
Apr 9, 2014 1:25 PM

Sep 2012
SetsukoHara said:
Korrvo said:
Zeally said:
Korrvo said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Everyone's a critic.

Old name is old.

Yea the thread I'm talking about was recent and doesn't exist anymore.

And eh those were such bland threads don't remind me.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕
Apr 9, 2014 1:25 PM

Jul 2013
SetsukoHara said:

http://myanimelist.net/forum/?topicid=569889&show=0

Casual Discussion thread. It's not that bad compared to what you usually see in this sub-forum.

I guess it's fitting the last post is from Tallon
Apr 9, 2014 1:26 PM

Sep 2012
BlackSabotage said:
Red_Keys said:
BlackSabotage said:

I recall you getting pissed because everyone was being politically correct and you were upset cause you couldn't bash gays.
You have a really obnoxious habit of deliberately ignoring things that people write.

I can assure you, and anybody else who has a vague impression of my personality can as well, that I was not "getting upset cause I couldn't bash gays". Ever.
Apr 9, 2014 1:28 PM

Feb 2010
BlackSabotage said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
@BlackSabotage:

Yeah but some shows have low scores do to age or obscurity. Look at Cutey Honey of the 70s and Gegege no kitaro. Classic shows with bad ratings do to age.

Well, that's what I was talking about before, by taking into account popularity. For obscure and old shows it's safe it add about 1-1.5 points (depending on how obscure) to the average in my experience ^^.
Apr 9, 2014 1:29 PM

Nov 2011
Red_Keys said:
BlackSabotage said:
Red_Keys said:
BlackSabotage said:

You have a really obnoxious habit of deliberately ignoring things that people write.

I can assure you, and anybody else who has a vague impression of my personality can as well, that I was not "getting upset cause I couldn't bash gays". Ever.

Did you vote for Obama? I think you did.
Apr 9, 2014 1:30 PM

Jan 2014
Defiantly quality. Personally I can't watch an anime with bad quality. Even though I like a lot of the popular animes too.

Sep 2012
BlackSabotage said:
Red_Keys said:
BlackSabotage said:
Red_Keys said:
BlackSabotage said:

I'm looking for the burn but I can't find it.
☕ Truth be told, I'm quite proud of my house blend. To attain my flavor and fragrance, I use five different types of coffee beans. ☕

Feb 2010
Red_Keys said:
BlackSabotage said:
Red_Keys said:
BlackSabotage said:

From my vague impression of his personality I can vouch for that.
Apr 9, 2014 1:32 PM

Apr 2012
BlackSabotage said:
Red_Keys said:
BlackSabotage said:
Red_Keys said:
BlackSabotage said:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jkQxHlr2fXM

Apr 9, 2014 1:33 PM

May 2012
If popularity matters more than quality to you, then you are a goddamn tool. Explains why so many people like AoT, and SAO.
Apr 9, 2014 1:33 PM

Nov 2011
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
BlackSabotage said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
@BlackSabotage:

Well, that's what I was talking about before, by taking into account popularity. For obscure and old shows it's safe it add about 1-1.5 points (depending on how obscure) to the average in my experience ^^.

Yeah perhaps.
Apr 9, 2014 1:38 PM

Sep 2012
BlackSabotage said:
I didn't vote. But uh, good one.
Apr 9, 2014 1:47 PM

Oct 2010
I prefer quality when I'm watching stuff, but sadly quality is not something I can perceive before trying, so I have to make my decisions based on other standards like, I don't know, popularity.

It's not that I have understood what is this thread about.
Apr 9, 2014 1:47 PM

Feb 2014
Quality.... But I would have to find it of course :D
Apr 9, 2014 1:48 PM
Dec 2013
SolBlade said:
Why not both?
Apr 9, 2014 1:52 PM

Nov 2011
Why do I continue to make threads here?

Oh yeah for the shits and giggles :D
Apr 9, 2014 1:52 PM
Jul 2018
Both are pretty important factors on whether or not the anime gets another season or not. for example if the anime is to poor in quality and has a high fanbase that anime will probably get a whole bunch of people buying it because of the high fanbase. on the other hand if the anime has high quality and a poor fanbase it will not have enough money to supply another season. ether way you look at it basically it's a supply and demand system the more people want of that anime the more supply will come with it. and etc.
Apr 9, 2014 1:57 PM

Jun 2007
I can vouch that Red Keys hates gays and especially bisexuals. He regularly posts about how they are sinners and should be removed from God's Earth.

AssertiveAngel said:
Both are pretty important factors on whether or not the anime gets another season or not. for example if the anime is to poor in quality and has a high fanbase that anime will probably get a whole bunch of people buying it because of the high fanbase. on the other hand if the anime has high quality and a poor fanbase it will not have enough money to supply another season. ether way you look at it basically it's a supply and demand system the more people want of that anime the more supply will come with it. and etc.

The thread has nothing to do with a show getting another season. Also, you're wrong about how the industry works - plenty of shows with low sales have continued, but I'm not going to sit here explaining all that for the millionth time.
Apr 9, 2014 1:57 PM

Oct 2013
Both.... When a anime is popular it's is most likely good. imo most of the popular anime that I watch are anime I like. so yes. Most... not all. it comes down to opinion. but if I have to pick one, popularity will be it. I love having discussion about anime I like, also watching reviews ect. If I watch a anime that is not popular I will finish it and move on like it was nothing, since it will go by fast since no one is talking about it.
Apr 9, 2014 2:04 PM

Jan 2014
Thread should be renamed to "Actually good shit V/s Ad populum", because that's what it is. Appealing to popularity is pretty fucking hilarious as an argument or a quantifier of quality.
Apr 9, 2014 2:07 PM

Feb 2010
Takaoreo said:
Neither of the two. It's all about what hits me.

So... violent tsunderes?
Apr 9, 2014 2:10 PM

Oct 2013
fourthmovement said:
Thread should be renamed to "Actually good shit V/s Ad populum", because that's what it is. Appealing to popularity is pretty fucking hilarious as an argument or a quantifier of quality.

Yes it comes down to opinion. But if a anime is popular most likely it's good right? Again not all the time but most time popular shows are good. Death note, fmab, code geass, Aot, big 3, ect. Again. You may not like these series, but at least try and understand what people are trying to say. Also if you're a person that love to have a discussion with people about anime, then popular anime is a +1 for that person.
Apr 9, 2014 2:17 PM
Nov 2013
The big 3 is pretty good, people watch 12 episodes of Bleach, drop like a crazy bitch and say it's crap (although the beginning is really garbage). But the anime as a whole is quite nice. Bleach > Code Geass :D
Apr 9, 2014 2:20 PM

Jan 2014
keragamming said:
fourthmovement said:

Yes it comes down to opinion. But if a anime is popular most likely it's good right? Again not all the time but most time popular shows are good. Death note, fmab, code geass, Aot, big 3, ect. Again. You may not like these series, but at least try and understand what people are trying to say. Also if you're a person that love to have a discussion with people about anime, then popular anime is a +1 for that person.

Yeah, I mean, sure, some popular stuff is fairly good (I have FMA and AoT in my list too) but I don't think popularity equals good or bad. I would list examples, but then again subjective territory and all that jazz.
Apr 9, 2014 2:28 PM

Jun 2012
PoeticJustice said:
If popularity matters more than quality to you, then you are a goddamn tool. Explains why so many people like AoT, and SAO.
NoU.
#OPINION #SUBJECTIVE #POORTASTE #OUCH

Rashkolnikov said:
The big 3 is pretty good, people watch 12 episodes of Bleach, drop like a crazy bitch and say it's crap (although the beginning is really garbage). But the anime as a whole is quite nice. Bleach > Code Geass :D
The past thirty or so chapters of Bleach have been the lowest point since it's inception as far as I'm concerned, the beginning was actually the highlight of the series for me.
Apr 9, 2014 2:34 PM
Apr 2008
An anime's popularity is reflective of the quality shows, because without sales we wouldn't have unheralded masterpieces like sword art online.
Apr 9, 2014 2:34 PM
Nov 2013
YorozuyaGinSan said:
PoeticJustice said:
NoU.
#OPINION #SUBJECTIVE #POORTASTE #OUCH

Rashkolnikov said:
The past thirty or so chapters of Bleach have been the lowest point since it's inception as far as I'm concerned, the beginning was actually the highlight of the series for me.

I agree this last arc is really shitty. But the beginning is also bad. On the other hand, Soul Society and Arrancar Arc are fucking amazing good shit.
Apr 9, 2014 2:35 PM

Jan 2013
Anime quality, however most of the anime i've seen are popular or become popular eventually so either way it doesn't matter.
Apr 9, 2014 2:50 PM

Sep 2013
Who in the fuck would actually choose popularity over quality?? Is this a serious thread??
Apr 9, 2014 3:11 PM

Nov 2011
keragamming said:
fourthmovement said:

Code Geass is legitimately bad IMO.
Pages (7) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ?

Alpha_1_Zero - 3 hours ago

23 by fifi602 »»
31 seconds ago

» Characters that ya think are a Genderbent You

IpreferEcchi - Apr 15

33 by WatchTillTandava »»
4 minutes ago

» How often do you rewatch anime?

Destinesia - 8 hours ago

18 by Shirayukin »»
4 minutes ago

» Upcoming Dubbed Anime ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Kenny_Stryker - Dec 17, 2017

9051 by appledude1221 »»
30 minutes ago

Poll: » Best Russian in anime

Catalano - Yesterday

36 by piroriparopirira »»
46 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.