Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »
Apr 10, 2014 2:34 AM

Mar 2014
I thought the show is gonna be boring or sucks however it proves me wrong
Apr 10, 2014 2:54 AM

Jan 2014
ChromiumSX said:
I thought the show is gonna be boring or sucks however it proves me wrong

Yes, your thoughts are definitely wrong.

It was really funny when the sister (dunno' the name) was smashing the restaurant into pieces.
Apr 10, 2014 3:00 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
I thought this was going to be another immediate drop but I was actually pleasantly surprised. Likeable characters, interesting world, decent plot...

and they blew up a friggin' unicorn!
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 10, 2014 3:39 AM

Aug 2013
Damn badass unicorn got sliced.
Overall this was pretty cool, tho the way Chaika talks sure is quite annoying.
Apr 10, 2014 4:12 AM

Feb 2012
First thing I noticed when watching this... "That girl has dayum thick eyebrows!" lol

Interesting enough to continue watching it.
You can just be yourself. Do things your own way, one step at a time. You'll get there. Just be yourself, you'll be fine."
~Fruit Basket
Apr 10, 2014 5:00 AM

Feb 2012
Good episode, loving Chiaka design and i hope they address why she talks like that later on.
Apr 10, 2014 5:40 AM

Aug 2013
I thought unicorns were supposed to be gentle and majestic mythical creatures. That thing was creepy as heck. Imagine running into one while in a dark forest and you hear its chanting coming closer XD

I find Chaika adorable with that broken speech pattern and I think her thick eyebrows are cute. Reminds me of Mugi from K-On haha :p
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 10, 2014 7:06 AM

Dec 2012
I was happy and surprised that they made an animation but this is nothing like the manga. It a good anime but it quite boring compared to the manga, I wonder why they skipped all the interesting parts that made me laugh. They rush the events of the storyline but I hope that this anime will improve after the 1st episode.
I did not mean to harm anyone feeling or criticize the point of view of other. These are my point of views.
Apr 10, 2014 8:10 AM

Sep 2009
Dat episode 2 preview
Apr 10, 2014 8:21 AM

Dec 2013
Good enough of a start. I don't remember Chiaka's speech being THIS disjointed in the manga though....

Overall it was a good recap of the manga, nothing surprising. As I've repeated time and again though, why couldn't they do more than 1 cour for all of this season's anime? Most of them are manga/novel based and have an abundance of content that could have made a 2 cour, or even a 2 season (3 in some cases) show. Why do they feel the need to butcher perfectly decent literary creations into minced meat?!?!

Anyway... on to the next episode please! The pace of this is slow, even for the manga. I think we stopped halfway through chapter 2 here...
HESTIAAPPROVES
Apr 10, 2014 8:30 AM

Feb 2014
Good show. Nice animation, interesting setting and cool character designs (Dem eyebrows tho).
Apr 10, 2014 9:27 AM

Jan 2013
Not a bad show. kind of makes me think of Horizon in the Middle of Nowhere. I like it. The battle music has a Final Fantasy nostalgia to it. I will definitely keep watching for now.
Apr 10, 2014 9:54 AM

Mar 2010
ANOTHER Raildex-esque animu.

And the criticism about the male lead were even harsher this time. DESPITE the fact that he help killed a My Nightmarish Pony. It's times like there where I wanna say "WELL FUCK YOU TOO!!" Unfortunately, it's animu made from Wapan. So yeah.

Also: Li'l Miss Gungrave with speech impediment.
Apr 10, 2014 10:18 AM

Oct 2013
I completely forgot about Hitsugi no Chaika..I was looking forward to it at one point after anime announcement lol.

Dat ass in the OP, Akari ftw already.

Enju, Chaika, Shiro.. Loli-lolier Loliest season confirmed!

Chaika's speech manner is so adorable, her character design looks good too.

So yeah, a wimp looking MC who is bored and lazy to find a job but actually is a BA protagonist by himself, this should work. :3

Unicorns in this anime are not friendly at all, but dat iron-blood transformation looked BA.

Dat animation sequence when Chaika was chanting magic inside the sniper bullet was nice.

Hot Akari is hot. I like her already with her sadistic personality. O_o Loved the commotion she made in the restaurant.

Loli-fanservice in first episode already? Nice.

Wow, nice infiltration skills, these siblings are quite BA. And...they are caught already.

That ED song is good.

Nice first episode overall, I will keep watching this one.
Apr 10, 2014 10:19 AM

Dec 2008
I used to like unicorns until I saw this episode. I like Chiaki, though.

Sent with Mal Updater
Apr 10, 2014 12:06 PM

Feb 2014
I don't know how I feel about this anime. Chaika might just be too quirky for me, and those eyebrows!
I did like that the unicorn was evil in this because it's different from the usual portrayal of them always being pure.
I'll give it a few more episodes before i decide if it's worth watching further
"Even if we lose by 100 points, there's still a chance a meteor will strike the other team's bench in the last second"

- Kuroko Tetsuya
Apr 10, 2014 12:18 PM
Aug 2011
The characters are considerably less cuter than I figured they'd be.
It's not even the eyebrows... everything's just kind of unaesthetic.
Not really an issue but rather a sense of letdown is what I feel.

Hoping Chaika at least acquires gradual language fluency (kind of like Ledo in Gargantia did).
Apr 10, 2014 12:25 PM
Jan 2013
Whoa, that's one mean gun that Chaika carries.
Apr 10, 2014 12:35 PM

May 2012
Sure are a lot of easily bothered people on MAL. The main thing I like about this is actually Chaika's design and the way she speaks doesn't annoy me at all.
I feel sorry for those irl that have a speech impediment if it annoys people this much.
Apr 10, 2014 12:47 PM
May 2012
Chaika's way of speaking is not annoying at all. I actually like it.

So far this is quite good. 5/5
Apr 10, 2014 12:55 PM

Nov 2013
Not bad. But I hope it gets better. Hopefully Bones will not disappoint us!
4/5 for now..
Apr 10, 2014 1:29 PM

Jan 2008
It was surprisingly entertaining. For now - it's a keeper.
-
Apr 10, 2014 2:25 PM

Aug 2013
Dem eyebrows... Mugi 2.0

It was to say the least confusing. It's interresting, but I couldn't understand a fuck of what was going on. Also, those broken phrase could get on my nerves as the show goes on...

The action is well. Never thought a unicorn could be that creepy! xD
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 10, 2014 2:44 PM
Jan 2008
I was pleasantly surprised by this. I don't find Chaika annoying at all, in fact, she's really cute, even her eyebrows. Why are people so upset about her speech? It's obvious that she isn't fluent in the language or something traumatized her/etc. I can see why people would find it annoying though.

The premise is indeed what you'd expect from your standard "fantasy LN" but it was executed well enough that I didn't care. I'm glad that the sister obviously cares enough about her brother to be upset that he's a loser who doesn't work but doesn't want to get into his pants.

I would say "poor unicorn," but not when it's a monstrosity like that. It's actually refreshing to see one different that the usual. It was being used by that one guy anyways, so we might see some "normal" ones later.

Toru does seem a little average at the moment, but he did show the skills to help kill a rampaging monster so it balances out. The opening song is pretty lackluster.

I'm interested enough to continue watching and find out more about just what is going on, especially with the final line of the episode. I do wonder if we'll see Chaika speed up her magic time or what other kinds of magic we'll see.

ZAA BAAHNAAH!
Apr 10, 2014 4:11 PM

Oct 2011
ZodiacBeast said:
I was pleasantly surprised by this. I don't find Chaika annoying at all, in fact, she's really cute, even her eyebrows. Why are people so upset about her speech? It's obvious that she isn't fluent in the language or something traumatized her/etc. I can see why people would find it annoying though.

The premise is indeed what you'd expect from your standard "fantasy LN" but it was executed well enough that I didn't care. I'm glad that the sister obviously cares enough about her brother to be upset that he's a loser who doesn't work but doesn't want to get into his pants.

I would say "poor unicorn," but not when it's a monstrosity like that. It's actually refreshing to see one different that the usual. It was being used by that one guy anyways, so we might see some "normal" ones later.

Toru does seem a little average at the moment, but he did show the skills to help kill a rampaging monster so it balances out. The opening song is pretty lackluster.

I'm interested enough to continue watching and find out more about just what is going on, especially with the final line of the episode. I do wonder if we'll see Chaika speed up her magic time or what other kinds of magic we'll see.

ZAA BAAHNAAH!
Basically everything I wanted to say.
Apr 10, 2014 5:06 PM

Dec 2013
Great OP.
Like Chaika as a character I find her way of talking awesome. But woah dem eyebrows.
Not even half way through the ep and something has already been sliced in half.
Looking forward to the next ep

Whats my age again? WHERE IS MY ASIAN FRIEND!!!!!!!
Apr 10, 2014 7:29 PM

Jul 2013
Pretty interesting start, although it felt fast pace from every scene I watched, but still entertaining.

Chaika's line felt funny for the most part saying one word at a time. The other two MC's were funny having there bickering sibling relationship. I like the action and magic skills they put up, it seem promising.

The ending was interesting saying that she is suppose to be dead. Looking forward to the next episode.

Apr 10, 2014 9:22 PM

Oct 2011
I hope she uncovers her past
Apr 10, 2014 10:57 PM

Dec 2013
Some people might not like the way Chaika Trabant talks but I do. As long as they have a good reason it won't bother me a bit. I like the trio so far, people I guess are born with different battle types which is kinda cool. I'll stick around.
Apr 11, 2014 12:21 AM

Apr 2011
I wonder if its really true that she's dead.
Apr 11, 2014 1:03 AM

Feb 2014
That episode went by pretty fast. That's a good thing. I liked that they didn't mind showing that unicorn explode in a gory death. And I also think that the loli isn't that bad. She's kinda fun with her speaking disorder and gigantic rifle. The siblings are a pretty good fit and entertaining to watch. I'm also interested in the other characters that were introduced, even though I can't make much of the story yet.

All in all, I had a pretty good time with this.
Just sit back, and let your tears do the talking as I save you.
Apr 11, 2014 4:27 AM

May 2013
Okay, I see some potential in this show, gonna continue it even tough Chaika's eyebrows makes me feel uneasy while watching this.
The world shall know the truth soon.
Apr 11, 2014 4:37 AM

Oct 2009
This was great!! Loving the main 3 already, am I the only one who loves the way Chaika talks? Though I suppose it would get old.
I didn't even notice the eyebrows O.o

Evil Unicorns!!! O_O

Animation as expected of Bones, fluid and fast. This could easily become my favourite of the season, depending on how it goes..
AozureApr 11, 2014 4:40 AM
Apr 11, 2014 5:36 AM

Mar 2014
That was a pretty cool first episode. Really liking the artwork as well...

but that was one creepy unicorn, I wonder if the show will have any other legendary creatures in it
Apr 11, 2014 5:47 AM

Apr 2014
Wow chaika is really cute *.*
And the main character looks like a whimp but has the guts of a badass.
"Even villains have standards"
-Accelerator-

Apr 11, 2014 6:46 AM

Dec 2012
I picked up this anime the moment I read "coffin" in the description. First episode was nice and I'm beginning to like Akari. I don't read the manga and I hope she's not another bro-con because we have enough of that this season >.>
allo
Apr 11, 2014 6:57 AM
Jul 2009
i got to be one of the rare one that got to rate this one of the shittiest adaptation of the season, especially being the fan of the novel and waiting for so long for this to get animated.

first of the art work, i'm not asking them to reach ATK level of drawing but at least reach the level of the comics. i mean even Demonbane wasn't this bad.

next would be the pacing, i mean seriously they went through 2/3 of vol 1 in 1ep without much exposition or smoothing out storyline for non readers. this has the stink of Campione debacle again ughh. at least explain why chaika was speaking like that, for god sakes it's like only 3 sentence long.

for now it looks like a avarage show

5/10 because i'm a fan of the novel
Apr 11, 2014 7:00 AM
Jan 2008
GarethXL said:
i got to be one of the rare one that got to rate this one of the shittiest adaptation of the season, especially being the fan of the novel and waiting for so long for this to get animated.

first of the art work, i'm not asking them to reach ATK level of drawing but at least reach the level of the comics. i mean even Demonbane wasn't this bad.

next would be the pacing, i mean seriously they went through 2/3 of vol 1 in 1ep without much exposition or smoothing out storyline for non readers. this has the stink of Campione debacle again ughh. at least explain why chaika was speaking like that, for god sakes it's like only 3 sentence long.

for now it looks like a avarage show

5/10 because i'm a fan of the novel

I have a feeling that the next episode will explain a lot, including those "3 sentences" you mentioned. You don't just leave people with a cliffhanger like "you're supposed to be dead!" without explaining afterwards.
Apr 11, 2014 8:38 AM

Dec 2011
Here we go.
There is no such thing as shit taste. Only idiots who think everyone should have the same taste as they do.
Apr 11, 2014 8:57 AM

Oct 2013
Pretty good, 7/10, because the story intrigued me.

I think that Chaika is the daughter of that Emperor of Gaz Empire and she was meant to be dead as indicated by the Count's reaction. She set out to defeat the 8 great heroes and take back her father's body parts which they split among themselves. The body parts most likely contain a lot of magic which can be somehow transferred to the user, otherwise owning his body parts would be useless and the Count threatened to use 'it'. She is most likely the claimant/heir to the Gaz Empire meaning that she'd obviously get a lot of assassins on her as seen from that group one group of people whose name I cannot remember. I am also guessing the coffin is her coffin in which she was meant to be buried but she somehow survived. Oh and I just realized, the possible reason for her speech could be because of experiencing psychological trauma such as watching her Father the Emperor getting killed by 8 men And her being proclaimed dead and a witness of a lot of assassination attempts didn't help either. Or she could have been buried alive with that coffin, surviving only on her magic though that's unlikely.

Well that's my speculation, I haven't seen any of the original material, I wonder how far am I off the truth.
AppoXApr 11, 2014 9:01 AM
I am a human.
Apr 11, 2014 10:40 AM

Aug 2013
I like the character design. Looks pretty cool. (Except Tooru's hair, lol.) I guess I'll check out the Light Novel because this seems interesting.
Good first episode.
Apr 11, 2014 1:07 PM

Jul 2013
Show. very. good. can't. wait. for. next. episode.
Apr 11, 2014 1:41 PM

Sep 2010
I'm in love with everything about this anime.
The way it looks, the angles, the art, the voices (except chiaka's a bit annoying), the characters. Weeo.
Apr 11, 2014 3:31 PM

Nov 2011
Awwwww Chaika's sooo cute! I love the way she speaks, her eyebrows and all.

The animation was nice, good CGI too, doesn't look out of place too much, the story is interesting, the voices are pleasant, OP and ED aren't anything special, so I'll probably skip them in the next episodes.

The anime has a nice RPG-y feel :)

1. Explore
2. Recruit a follower, get a follower quest (get food)
3. Kill monsters
4. Complete follower quest
5. Start main quest (steal a magical artifact)

GET DROPBOX HERE!
Bonus space for you and me with this link! Now 500MB per referral, up to 16GB from referrals alone.
Apr 11, 2014 4:11 PM
Dec 2012
I like both the Acura brother and sister so far,Tooru is not like some cocky protagonist which butt into other people business or saving the fking world, Akira is not some annoying tsundere and she's cool. As for now I'm not really like or dislike the coffin princess, might like her on future episodes. The opening and ending is Okay only. This show has a good start and has a lot of potential, hope it doesn't ends in disappointment. I like this episode, 5/5.
Apr 11, 2014 6:01 PM

Apr 2012
LOL @ the unicorn getting cut by half haha.
Apr 11, 2014 6:34 PM

Oct 2010
On the contrary to many people's opinion, the episode felt pretty disjointed. It felt more like a second, third, fourth, etc episode than a first.

For instance, the beginning. The anime just threw us in a scene, making me believe that I was missing something, without any real character introduction. The first episode doesn't necessarily have to begin with character intro but it has to feel coherent which this episode didn't do a good job at.

Plus, I find Chaika's speech really annoying. I'm probably being an elitist and will be bashed for saying this but can't she form coherent sentences? Bleh, whatever. The scene where Akari gets introduced wasn't executed as well as it should've been (or maybe I just dislike characters with yandere tendencies).

This episode was by no means bad but may have worked better if it were not a first episode. I hope this disjointed pacing won't continue throughout the rest of the show.

(I don't even know what to think of that cliff hanger. Isn't that kind of thing supposed to be saved sometime in the middle of a show or story when we've become fully invested in the characters or story? What purpose does it achieve to raise it now?)
Apr 11, 2014 8:16 PM

Apr 2011
Uhh.. this might actually make it to top 5 of the season for me :O (ye, well.. the top4 is pretty much occupied as of now ;f)
Apr 11, 2014 8:33 PM
Oct 2012
xchee said:
I thought unicorns were supposed to be gentle and majestic mythical creatures. That thing was creepy as heck. Imagine running into one while in a dark forest and you hear its chanting coming closer

Only to virgins my dear, to everyone else they are as savage as lions. One ancient books says that the way to hunt unicorns was to stand in front of a tree, wait for it to try to impale you, and then move away at the last second. The force of the charge would impale the horn in the tree and then you could cut its head off.

It's a shame that I doubt that the author meant to tap into the unicorn legend, would really make speculation about Chaika far more interesting :-)
Apr 11, 2014 9:04 PM
Oct 2012
Parisbelle said:
On the contrary to many people's opinion, the episode felt pretty disjointed. It felt more like a second, third, fourth, etc episode than a first.

For instance, the beginning. The anime just threw us in a scene, making me believe that I was missing something, without any real character introduction. The first episode doesn't necessarily have to begin with character intro but it has to feel coherent which this episode didn't do a good job at.

Plus, I find Chaika's speech really annoying. I'm probably being an elitist and will be bashed for saying this but can't she form coherent sentences? Bleh, whatever. The scene where Akari gets introduced wasn't executed as well as it should've been (or maybe I just dislike characters with yandere tendencies).

This episode was by no means bad but may have worked better if it were not a first episode. I hope this disjointed pacing won't continue throughout the rest of the show.

(I don't even know what to think of that cliff hanger. Isn't that kind of thing supposed to be saved sometime in the middle of a show or story when we've become fully invested in the characters or story? What purpose does it achieve to raise it now?)

Because the ending tied into that first scene you didn't like. The opening scene has some unknown entity promising something humans can't comprehend to a stranded Chaika, suggesting of course that it isn't human (the lightning flash seemed to confirm that). Saying that Chaika was dead is supposed to suggest that Chaika WAS dead and that entity brought her back (though I am not sure that will prove to be the case - I'm guessing they drop her in the middle of the ocean).

The reason Chaika talks like that is either because she is from a foreign country (the Taboo Empire) or it is an after effect of her being resurrected (most likely the latter). But it seems clear that it is a plot point that will definitely be explained (and I hope eliminated) soon.

So kick back, the first episode shows that the writer has something in mind that will be revealed.
Pages (5) « 1 2 [3] 4 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2014

304 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 3, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

137 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 3, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

121 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 10:34 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2014

176 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2014

154 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 7:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.