Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »
Apr 9, 2014 9:29 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Hmm, it was an okay start but damn, those eyebrows. The encounter between Chaika and Tooru was kinda strange although I wasn't taken back by it. She carries a big coffin on her back too so that's a burden.

On another note, the action was alright and the OP song too. Akari is introduced already and damn, they didn't waste time at all. RIP food. Still, I thought this has potential. I'm not a fan of the main characters yet though. I like that ED song btw.
Apr 9, 2014 10:59 AM

Jul 2012
This looks pretty cool. Chaika looks like she is awesome especially when going magic sniper mode.
Apr 9, 2014 10:59 AM

Jan 2011
That was a good start. It seems like there is another organization trying to keep Chaika from fulfilling her mission. This looks like it should be fun.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Apr 9, 2014 11:03 AM
Jul 2013
Eh, this will probably be an anime I'll pass on. The characters are really really boring, I really don't find Chaika's quirkiness cute, which is obviously what they were going for. The art was pretty bad, I thought the OP was horrible, and I'm getting burned out on the fusion of futuristic weapons and magic in a historic setting.
Apr 9, 2014 11:11 AM

Apr 2013
Is Chaika going to talk like that for the whole series? It's kind of annoying imo.
I thought the episode was okay. Wasn't very interesting, but the action was decent.
Apr 9, 2014 11:24 AM

Aug 2010
What can I say. As expected of Bones ^^

I didn't really have high expectations but it turned out way better than I thought :D

Thought that I'm gonna hate Chaika's design but I got used to it half way through the ep hehe, I'm guessing her cute disjointed way of talking played a role with that. She's quite cute actually :3

Loving Toru, Glad he has a history of BAness ^^ I really thought he'd be incompetent at first but then he suddenly used The UBW chant :P The iron body chant and changed into a BA!

The fight with the Unicorn was pretty impressive. Chaika's cannon shot was pretty nice looking :D

And seems like we have another anime with a pair of BA siblings XD Are they doing this on purpose XD

Liking Akari quite a lot too. Damn she's quite merciless though with how she was hammering him in the restaurant XD The costumers reactions talking about Toru were lol XD Nice to see her have the same transformation as Toru too :)

The infiltration was pretty nice. Liked how they showed the details with the coffin unlike sometimes where u just suddenly find someone infiltrating so easily even though they have a huge ass thing with them XD

The Count seems to have Gate of Babylon Telekenesis with how he controls everything remotely. He shat his pants at the end though, interesting.

Well much more enjoyable than I thought, will follow ^^
Apr 9, 2014 11:28 AM
Sep 2011
OP and ED look great and especially the latter is absolutely gorgeous. I really like the reoccuring arabesque circle motives. While the actual show doesn't look as flashy I'm quite interested in the world it's set in though it helped that the show skipped any unnecessary background information and just went with the flow.
I wonder if Chaika has a speech impediment or if she's just a foreigner who's not versed in their language yet since she doesn't display any other mental disorders (it certainly wouldn't be that far-fetched considering the grand setting of this show). Fortunately that's her only annoying feature since she's rather competent otherwise.
Apr 9, 2014 11:29 AM

May 2013
Akari admitting that she is stupid lol. Chaika's an interesting character. Those eyebrows of hers lol. Tooru and Akari look cool in their transformation.
Apr 9, 2014 11:31 AM

Aug 2008
Mills said:
Is Chaika going to talk like that for the whole series? It's kind of annoying imo.
I thought the episode was okay. Wasn't very interesting, but the action was decent.
Everything I was about to say.
Apr 9, 2014 11:36 AM

Sep 2013
Okay... Has interesting premises and Chaika is kind of appealing somewhat. ._.
-

I've always... always been watching you... This whole time... Because you were there... That's why I was able to try hard. So you could have some balance! So you wouldn't treat me like a kid! So you would see me as an actual girl! Even while you were gone... You were right here! You were right here in my heart!
Apr 9, 2014 11:36 AM

Jul 2013
Now that's a really cool sniper rifle.
I can totally watch the show just to see it in action.

I'm not really a fan of shows who skips introductions but that Gundo thing got me hooked.
The author is capable, so I'm looking forward to more.
Apr 9, 2014 11:50 AM
Jul 2010
Wow, look at the pace they're adapting!
Also, I'm a bit disappointed in the art. I imagined it would be a bit flashier than this...
Apr 9, 2014 11:53 AM

Dec 2010
The whole gun in a coffin thing makes me think of Django (The original in 1966). The Gundo being inspired by Django is very likely, because westerns were popular in Japan at one point. Django even had a 2007 Japanese remake.
tumblr. : johanndergrosse.tumblr.com (ﺧ益ﺨ)
Apr 9, 2014 12:02 PM

Aug 2012
I like it so far. Nice action, decent character dynamic, and story could get interesting.
Mills said:
Yeah that's gonna get old fast.
Apr 9, 2014 12:03 PM

Dec 2010
That truck or whatever with all those gunports that that the prince dude rides, looks like its based on "The War Wagon" (1967). Sakaki Ichirou must be a fan of spaghetti westerns.
tumblr. : johanndergrosse.tumblr.com (ﺧ益ﺨ)
Apr 9, 2014 12:04 PM

Jan 2009
I just love Sakaki Ichirou writing! His fantasy part are just great, after Outbreak Company I was so hyped for this and hope I will have a chance to watch Scrapped Princess sometime this year, which was created, directed and even animated by the same people of Hitsugi no Chaika. This season is just a huge bomb to me, I really enjoy a lot of this.
Apr 9, 2014 12:05 PM

Apr 2012
fucking 1 word dialogue ugh
well the action was decent

Apr 9, 2014 12:11 PM

Apr 2013
Hurrah for Moe Gungrave.
Apr 9, 2014 12:12 PM

Aug 2010
Well, this looks promising, I like the setting and the main trio so far. 5/5.
Best ED of the season as of yet.
Apr 9, 2014 12:26 PM

Mar 2014
Instresting. Imo this has potential. Also loved Chiaka's lines (pretty much thats what an english speaker feels when reading or listening to japanese)
Everybody has the right to have his own opinion on something.And you do have the right to disagree with them.But that doesnt give you the right to impose your opinion on others, even though you do have the right to think you are fucking awesome.
Apr 9, 2014 12:43 PM

Jul 2010
Pretty fine episode, nothing special but not bad, might have some potential. The voice/speech of the girl doesn't really bother me but I wonder if there's a reason she talks like that?

The magic looks pretty, the char design could've been a little more refined I guess but it's not bad. I wonder how it'll go from here.
Apr 9, 2014 12:52 PM

Oct 2010
I never thought I'd get used to Chaika's eyebrows quite so quickly. Decent first episode.
Apr 9, 2014 12:54 PM

Feb 2012
Fine anime, I guess, good animation and chara design.

But I think it's too rushed by comparing it to the manga ...
Also, sure chaika not speaking too much in the manga, but the word by word is very... irritating.
Apr 9, 2014 12:58 PM

Sep 2008
not a bad episode and considering Chaika is meant to be a foreigner trying to speak Toru's language, I actually don't mind her way of speech

art is ok although not as outstanding and considering BONES is the studio,I'ill definitely give this series a chance before I hold judgement

inb4 "pro-animal cruelty activist"
Apr 9, 2014 1:03 PM

Jan 2013
so it has come this far. people are being happy about a character that can't hold a normal conversation

WTF. what sick idiot thought of that dumb character. "she's so moe she can't even fking speak properly"

so damn weird.
Apr 9, 2014 1:03 PM

Nov 2013
That was super fast ._.
Apr 9, 2014 1:08 PM

Apr 2013
That one word talking is freaking annoying but the sister is cool.
Apr 9, 2014 1:11 PM

Jul 2013
This could be interesting, but god damn the way she talks is so annoying.
Also that is the freakiest unicorn I have ever seen...where can I get one ;)
"Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." - Dr Seuss
Apr 9, 2014 1:20 PM

Feb 2014
fine eps, that was cool magic sniper. but the way she speak so annoying.
Apr 9, 2014 1:21 PM
Content Admin
Overkilled Red

Aug 2013
Opening song is pretty nice!

Chaika's segmented talking style was quite cute! Her character design could've been better, but still, not so bad either.

Toru vs. Unicorn was pretty good! Chaika's magic short was impressive. Kind of looked like a camera lens. XD

Not sure why Toru would call himself incompetent while having such a badass power.. That was impressive!

Akari is pretty good looking and violent!
She also has the Iron-Blood transformation too. Nice!

Count Abarth appears to have some sort of telekinesis ability..
Damn, he was quite surprised to see Chaika alive! XD

Ending song is great! :) An interesting start indeed.

Next episode: "The Lazy Man's Choice"

Apr 9, 2014 1:23 PM

Feb 2011
Was pretty interesting. I liked the animation too , but it was pretty confusing , hoping that they will explain some things in the next episode.
Apr 9, 2014 1:25 PM

Jan 2009
1. Chaika's pretty strange when she talks in short sentences. That's how most ppl would talk when they're 1st learning japanese.

2. That unicorn scene was pretty gory

3. Wasn't too exciting of an episode, but it's watchable... meh

5/10
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Apr 9, 2014 1:35 PM

Dec 2011
So Toru and Akari are saboteurs/thieves and Chaika is a mage who's looking for what I think are the parts of her father's body parts. Obviously Chaika is the daughter of the Gaz king and she's supposed to be dead. The episode was decent with a really cute unicorn and nice action.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Apr 9, 2014 2:13 PM

Sep 2013
That blew away all my expectations. Thisll be a good season :)

Also, dat unicorn!
Apr 9, 2014 2:17 PM
Site Admin
Aug 2012
So she's really a foreigner and that's why her speech is so choppy? Well she better master that language fast because it's annoying.

So many sibling (that are opposite gender) main characters this season (well three so far that I've watched). This pair of siblings though is kind of funny, at least that part where Akari says that Tooru can't badmouth himself because she respects him...? At least that's what I understood from that. I like how unlike many other shows, they don't really explain anything at all for the first episode. Info dumps aren't much fun especially for intro episodes. I prefer the going with the flow type of storytelling.
Apr 9, 2014 2:18 PM
Sep 2012
well this was way better than expected, will definetly keep an eye on this
Apr 9, 2014 2:19 PM
Sep 2013
The thing itself was alright.

But that grayed out color palette they chose to go with is so boring.
Apr 9, 2014 2:28 PM

Aug 2012
Such powerful eyebrows

Apr 9, 2014 2:40 PM

Sep 2013
"Shocking truth..." Lol

Evil Unicorn well shit.

Some nice action when they got into the mansion I am very intrigued after the first episode.
Apr 9, 2014 2:43 PM

Jul 2012
Well the most interesting part of this episode to me was that unicorns eat people in their world.

The iron-blood transformation ability was pretty cool.

Great episode!!!
Apr 9, 2014 2:44 PM
Feb 2013
The way Chaika speaks, her voice, her looks and those
Stitches327 said:
Such powerful eyebrows
annoyed me too much.

Meh.

Unicorn was awesome, though.
Especially when was split in two.
kcuf
Apr 9, 2014 2:51 PM

Dec 2013
Episode was meh. May end up dropping this one, we'll see after a few more episodes. I rarely drop on the first episode, unless it's just insanely boring or retarded.

So the choppy way of talking is supposed to be cute? That's what they were going for with that? Wow, never knew being derpy was supposed to be cute. Oh, well. That is gonna get old really fast, it's half-way there already.

The second half of the episode wasn't bad, but not sure it was good enough to make up for what the first was lacking. All in all, I'll give this one a 5/10.
Odds are I'm not going to find my way back to a thread after my first post, it happens on occasion but not often. So, if I say something that offends you and you feel the need to force your opinion on me because obviously everyone should have your opinion or none at all, feel free to post it in the thread that I'll probably never see again. However, if you are interested in intelligent discourse, feel free to message me.
Apr 9, 2014 3:18 PM

Dec 2010
Pretty awesome first episode for the show I was hyping the most this season/year. The animation is high quality, and the action scenes were pretty cool! I read the first chapter of the manga, and thought it was just okay, but they are already building on it and its first episode is much more interesting than its first chapter.

It started getting pretty awesome near the end, and I do wonder what she's trying to collect, especially since it looks like body parts...Is this Castlevania II? Because that would be cool!

Anyway it looks to be a lot of fun, and Chaika is already adorable as heck, even with the whole speech thing, which is probably due to her not being a native speaker of the language. If there's a reason for it, then I will be okay with it, but I do hope it goes away.

All in all, loving it, and its going to be an awesome ride!

In other words:

Love it, watch more, fun time
cyclone1993Apr 9, 2014 3:23 PM
Apr 9, 2014 3:32 PM

May 2011
Ok, I'll be watching it :) has such interesting story ,,
Apr 9, 2014 3:35 PM

Jul 2013
that was more lame than expected.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 9, 2014 4:04 PM

Jun 2011
This covered while skipping loads (though the flashbacks could be added later they still skipped a lot) up to around the end of chapter 6 and it is a monthly manga. So really while watching it i could only consider this going far too fast without any build up which kind of made the episode a let down for me.

I will have to see how it goes later but i was expecting more from this adaptation.
Othinus
Touma
Pairing

http://hestia.dance/
Apr 9, 2014 4:08 PM

Nov 2013
it's an okay fantasy world i guess, but i'm coming to this off no game no life which was way better. the coffin is featured prominently everywhere and looks to be an important symbol, but it's still too mysterious for now. as is the rest of the plot. i haven't figured out what's going on and why.
Apr 9, 2014 4:10 PM

Sep 2011
went in with no expectations and it turned out quite dull and mediocre, this was the bones show this year i could never find it in me to get excited for because the author's track record was quite frankly, crap, and this looks not much different, even the animation was drastically below par on how bones shows looks looking worse than even some of their earlier works

2.5/5

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Apr 9, 2014 4:11 PM
Apr 2012
looks cool so far and hearing Chiaka's talking pattern is just so weird its like single words being put together to form a "sentence" with meaning. i hope the main character ends up being stronger since i usually dislike mc being pushed around
Apr 9, 2014 4:12 PM

Jul 2013
dem brows
lol Chaika's one word dialogue. Got annoying real quick.
A lazy bum MC who can't really be stuffed working. And his sister who does and supports him, lol.
Got a hint of badassness in him, that goes for Akari as well.
Art is hmm..

Well anyway, I'll continue to follow this one :)
Pages (5) [1] 2 3 » ... Last »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Jun 25, 2014

304 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 3, 1:53 AM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Jun 18, 2014

137 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 3, 1:04 AM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 6 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - May 14, 2014

121 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 10:34 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - May 7, 2014

176 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 8:44 PM

Poll: » Hitsugi no Chaika Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Apr 30, 2014

154 by Garrett_Dark »»
Apr 2, 7:34 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.