BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
JizzyHitler said:
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
JizzyHitler said:
im not a big fan of 80's metal nor any of its sub groups outside of the more metal sounding prog. New metal has a advantage of significantly better mixing allowing for more creative and interesting compositions. songs like this simply just wouldnt have worked well without the use of current day mixing
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hDKiemSbFhs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lk2az2ar0pg

also while not prompted in any way to say this, i would just like to take a second to say how metallica is one of the shittiest bands to ever grace the mainstream and they have continually gotten worse with saint anger containing some of the worst excuses for songs ive ever heard.

I think your an idiot for your opinion on new and old metal but I agree 100% about Metallica.

Saint Anger was terrible but that's it. You either liked the Load albums or hated them. Death Magnetic was pretty good and Beyond Magnetic was them back in action. That Lulu album was so funny.

Kill em all and And justice for all are unlistenable garbage. There I said it. Also Lulu isnt just funny its pathetic.

Metallica were only around 17 when they made Kill Em All. Dave influenced so many bands and some believe if he didn't help out with Kill Em All, metallica and many other band wouldnt be where they are today
inspiring things doesnt mean they are automatically good, also one band is never the sole inspiration for a new band, if they are then they are going to sound identical to them. its always a plethora of different bands that inspire a upandcomming band.

But if you ask these new guys who influenced them, guaranteed Metallica will be among them. If a song or an album has the power to draw it's listeners in, make them take that style and make their own music, it must be good.

Most all metal bands take inspiration from Black Sabbath above all else. Also while Metallica is considered influential they weren't as revolutionary as most make them out to be. Other bands were playing thrash before Metallica they just didn't release any albums at the time. Also their was more extreme music at the time than thrash.

Reminds me of Venom but the whole satan crap got boring. Iron Maiden will always be the kings of metal to me because they had the full package. Sabbath would of been crap without Iommi but with Maiden, every member was important.

Ugh Iron Maiden is one of the least versatile and interesting of metal legends. Musical talent is important but song writing is just as important if not more so. Black Sabbath wrote much better songs than Iron Maiden. Also Judas Priest owns Iron Maiden in terms of talent and song writing. But again Iommi is the epitome of heavy metal and he alone is above Priest and Maiden. Its also annoying how you ignore the talent of Bill Ward and Geezer.

What!?!? Steve Harris is a better writer. If he was my history teacher I would of gotten an A*. Some of their songs come from literature like The Rime of the Ancient Mariner.
Apr 8, 2014 3:54 PM

Jul 2007
Zarbel said:
Fai said:
BlackSabotage said:

How do you feel about bands such as Voivod, Mekong Delta, and Gentle Giant?

Voivod is good shit mostly.
Mekong Delta is okay, but Yngwie's existence has tired my patience of neoclassical elements in metal, haven't listened to their newer stuff though, but I heard its more polished, even if vocals grew weaker.
Gentle Giant - never heard of it.

Out of more progressive/technical things(which is the more minor part of what I listen to right now as I am more into symphonic stuff right now), Currently I am more into stuff like Threshold, Marillion, District 97, Kalisia and Cynic

Try Birthday Massacre
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SREZ-ggSDjM

I guess you won't like them because they're new.

Did

Unsun > Birthday Massacre, even though BM's vocalist is amazing for a synthrock/darkwave band

Fiction-S said:

I prefer British Heavy Metal.

Power Metal

Neo Classical

Symphonic Metal

I listened to other faster and brutal metal, but that was a phase.
I realized it was just a bunch of noise.

Fuck yes.

Judas Priest
Warfare
Angel Witch
Bitches Sin
Tygers of Pan Tang
Iron Maiden(even though they claim not to belong into it)
Witchfynde

As for powermetal, try Keldian - perfect mix of more traditional power metal, Europe-esque AOR and progressive.

Their first album was more traditional, but with stronger AOR influences
Second was more polished in terms of production, with stronger power metal influences, more melodic.
Third album, which came out last year, was a bit departure from that style, while they retained their signature sound, it was more guitar driven. Some of songs even sound far more traditional than they ever done
Apr 8, 2014 3:56 PM

Oct 2013
Fiction-S said:

Uh no.

After studying the music of Iron Maiden... a lot.

It's gotta be some of the best Metal has produce.

IIt's simple and catchy. The theory used for it is astonishing.

Lyrics are captivating. Songs like Only the Good Die Young, Caught Somewhere in Time, Dance of Death, Brighter than a Thousand Suns just easily philosophical.

There is no wonder as to why they remain so much more popular than Black Sabbath and other metal bands.

I agree. Maiden have the better guitarists with more ability, Bruce is more of a professional vocalist, Steve Harris is the boss and Nicko is a solid drummer.
Apr 8, 2014 3:56 PM

Nov 2011
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
Fai said:
BlackSabotage said:

Mekong Delta is okay, but Yngwie's existence has tired my patience of neoclassical elements in metal, haven't listened to their newer stuff though, but I heard its more polished, even if vocals grew weaker.

Out of more progressive/technical things(which is the more minor part of what I listen to right now as I am more into symphonic stuff right now), Currently I am more into stuff like Threshold, Marillion, District 97, Kalisia and Cynic

Try Birthday Massacre

I think a lot of the bands he's saying he listens to are new. At least by my standards.

New meaning from the 90's onwards because metal was in it's prime during the 80s and 70s. Metal was so good that Dave Mustaine got kicked out of the biggest metal band and formed his own successful band . Who does that?

Hey now Metallica is not the biggest Metal band Black Sabbath was. Also I'd argue Judas Priest was more important and influential in the development of metal than Metallica.

Sabbath were great but Metallica took metal to a new level. It's like how Roah came back to batter Ryuuken in Hokuto No Ken. Metallica are just better. I'd love to see Iommi if he didn't have the tip of his finger cut off. Saying that though, Kirk could do better in Metallica. He's not as good as he should be. Lars gets away with his drumming because he started the band.

Metallica did nothing special. Hell even some of their biggest fans only like the first 4 or 5 albums. They were boring and lack Black Sabbaths imagination. Also even if you think 13 was a disappointment no doubt it was a masterpiece compared to Lulu. Metallica will never gain the respect Sabbath has.
Apr 8, 2014 3:59 PM

Nov 2011
Fiction-S said:

Uh no.

Lyrics are captivating. Songs like Only the Good Die Young, Caught Somewhere in Time, Dance of Death, Brighter than a Thousand Suns just easily philosophical.

There is no wonder as to why they remain so much more popular than Black Sabbath and other metal bands.

They have no versatility. They wrote some epic tracks but after a while it's just like your listening to the same shit over and over. Compared to Judas Priest they are inferior.
Apr 8, 2014 4:01 PM

Oct 2013
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
Fai said:
BlackSabotage said:

Try Birthday Massacre

I think a lot of the bands he's saying he listens to are new. At least by my standards.

New meaning from the 90's onwards because metal was in it's prime during the 80s and 70s. Metal was so good that Dave Mustaine got kicked out of the biggest metal band and formed his own successful band . Who does that?

Hey now Metallica is not the biggest Metal band Black Sabbath was. Also I'd argue Judas Priest was more important and influential in the development of metal than Metallica.

Sabbath were great but Metallica took metal to a new level. It's like how Roah came back to batter Ryuuken in Hokuto No Ken. Metallica are just better. I'd love to see Iommi if he didn't have the tip of his finger cut off. Saying that though, Kirk could do better in Metallica. He's not as good as he should be. Lars gets away with his drumming because he started the band.

Metallica did nothing special. Hell even some of their biggest fans only like the first 4 or 5 albums. They were boring and lack Black Sabbaths imagination. Also even if you think 13 was a disappointment no doubt it was a masterpiece compared to Lulu. Metallica will never gain the respect Sabbath has.
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
Fai said:
BlackSabotage said:

Try Birthday Massacre

Nothing special? Erm, Master of Puppets, Metallica, AJFAL, Ride the Lightning. Metallica will always be better. Hetfield is a better guitarist with more ability, Lars is a better drummer (never thoght I'd ever say that) and Cliff Burton was a beast. Newsted was amazing at backing vocalist and Rob Trujulio is more skillful bass. Metallica are just more creative.
Apr 8, 2014 4:03 PM

Nov 2011
Here listen to this. These fuckers put all your bands to shame. Iron maiden can't touch this.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=ghcx_einG5E

Oh and as far as I'm concerned that is 100% heavy metal. Fuck the metal archives.
Apr 8, 2014 4:04 PM

Nov 2011
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
Fai said:
BlackSabotage said:

Try Birthday Massacre

BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
BlackSabotage said:
Zarbel said:
Fai said:
BlackSabotage said:

Try Birthday Massacre

Nothing special? Erm, Master of Puppets, Metallica, AJFAL, Ride the Lightning. Metallica will always be better. Hetfield is a better guitarist with more ability, Lars is a better drummer (never thoght I'd ever say that) and Cliff Burton was a beast. Newsted was amazing at backing vocalist and Rob Trujulio is more skillful bass. Metallica are just more creative.

Again Kill em all and Afja are crappy albums. Also shame on a band who has 10 albums and only four are good.
Apr 8, 2014 4:15 PM
Jul 2018
BlackSabotage said:
Fiction-S said:

Uh no.

They have no versatility. They wrote some epic tracks but after a while it's just like your listening to the same shit over and over. Compared to Judas Priest they are inferior.

All their tracks are epic.

Eh no, Judas Priest gets pretty tiresome most of the time.

With Maiden, there's Dianno, Dickinson, and Bayley.
Each with different styles.
Apr 8, 2014 4:17 PM

Jul 2009
I think the people that claim all new metal sucks don't really give it a chance and think that the more well known bands represent the entire genre, which is wrong. Sure, there's a lot of shite out there but that's because there are so many metal bands nowadays.

Metallica and Sabbath etc are part of metal's history and have helped in making metal what it is today, but that doesn't mean that everything new is any better or worse as it's completely subjective.

Really, this debate just makes me think of the whole 'all pokemon games since red and blue suck' rubbish that people spout. Normally the people that claim this haven't played any other generation because of the first generation playing such a big part of their childhood, they have no interest in playing any more anyway.

'Metal' fans that only listen to the 'classics' aren't going to change their minds, so it isn't really a debating area.
Apr 8, 2014 4:17 PM

Nov 2011
Fiction-S said:

Sorry I just don't see it. Iron Maiden sounds epic when I start listening and then they lose my interest really quickly. Queen > Judas Priest > Iron Maiden > Metallica > Slipknot

Bacahill said:

Ughh I don't just listen to the classics I listen to popular and obscure artists and treat no bias towards either based on status of popularity. Ive given newer metal a chance but most of the bands today bore me. Its not like I don't want to enjoy them but I simply can't. What I hate is limiting this talk to just bands labeled metal.

Mod Edit: Modified quote tower; please spoiler or remove old quotes.
Also merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
MellowJelloMay 2, 2014 6:29 PM
Apr 8, 2014 4:26 PM

Oct 2013
BlackSabotage said:

Quality over quantity

MellowJelloMay 2, 2014 6:26 PM
Apr 8, 2014 4:29 PM

Nov 2011
Zarbel said:

True but there isn't much quality to be found.

MellowJelloMay 2, 2014 6:26 PM
Apr 8, 2014 4:41 PM

Jul 2007
Fiction-S said:

Each with different styles.[/color]

Let's be frank, apart from Dickinson, the other two have about as much value as Ripper years Judas Priest, which is almost none.

And Judas Priest has enough range too. Stuff like Rock Hard, Ride Free sounds entirelly different from let's say One for the road, both of them being entirelly different from the likes of Out in the Cold or Diamonds and Rust. The fact that the same band also did Painkiller, metal meltdown and night crawler is almost as hard to wrap one's head around.
AhenshihaelApr 8, 2014 4:45 PM
Apr 8, 2014 4:47 PM

Nov 2013
I prefer "new" metal, because in the old days, something like that wouldn't have been possible:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHJr9nSPnao
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Apr 8, 2014 4:55 PM

Jul 2007
WillyL said:
I prefer "new" metal, because in the old days, something like that wouldn't have been possible:

Not seeing anything that Therion has not been doing for decades. Epica did NOT invent symphonic metal, you know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHXASoB1DS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY-EOYJQMMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvv9pR51XKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTm-BrB56Es
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPqVFfT4Kck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTfCEvTNX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTF5AVS55tk

Its nice that, going by the song you posted, EPica seems to have stopped doing bullshit they did for one or two albums and are back into good music.
AhenshihaelApr 8, 2014 4:59 PM
Apr 8, 2014 5:15 PM

Nov 2013
Fai said:
WillyL said:

Not seeing anything that Therion has not been doing for decades. Epica did NOT invent symphonic metal, you know.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZHXASoB1DS8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YY-EOYJQMMY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvv9pR51XKU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PTm-BrB56Es
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPqVFfT4Kck
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LVTfCEvTNX0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTF5AVS55tk

Its nice that, going by the song you posted, EPica seems to have stopped doing bullshit they did for one or two albums and are back into good music.

Where exactly have I said they invented that ? It was merely an example. Also, I don't classify Therion as "old" metal, since they really started in the mid 90's. "Old" metal for me is 80's and older.
/人 ‿‿ 人\
Apr 9, 2014 8:54 AM
Oct 2013
I like Metallica.

And old Bullet For My Valentine.

But most of my taste lies with bands like After The Burial, August Burns Red, Asking Alexandria, Of Mice & Men and bands like that.
Apr 9, 2014 10:33 AM

Oct 2013
Fai said:
Fiction-S said:

Each with different styles.[/color]

Let's be frank, apart from Dickinson, the other two have about as much value as Ripper years Judas Priest, which is almost none.

And Judas Priest has enough range too. Stuff like Rock Hard, Ride Free sounds entirelly different from let's say One for the road, both of them being entirelly different from the likes of Out in the Cold or Diamonds and Rust. The fact that the same band also did Painkiller, metal meltdown and night crawler is almost as hard to wrap one's head around.

Paul Di'Anno was good for old punk rock maiden. You know a band is good when they change their style and vocalist and dominate the metal world.
BlackSabotage said:

I know what you mean. Iommi the master of riffs is the only good thing about Sabbath.

Also merged duplicated posts; please use the edit button.
MellowJelloMay 2, 2014 6:28 PM
Apr 9, 2014 12:16 PM

Nov 2011
Zarbel said:

Bill Ward and Geezer aren't good? What about Ronnie James Dio? He kicks Bruce Dickinsons ass!

MellowJelloMay 2, 2014 6:25 PM
Apr 10, 2014 1:43 AM

Jan 2014
I like progressive metal: Metallica and Iron Maiden, enough said.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Apr 10, 2014 2:09 AM

Jul 2007
Shiratori-san said:

except that neither of the two are progressive metal? Metallica is thrash and Iron Maiden is somewhere in between NWoBHMand whatever_the_fuck_they_call_themselves.

Progressive metal is stuff like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXoG796yBZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqmez3nJxag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIqRsl8Vm-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfJP8fztGYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mipc-JxrhRk
Apr 10, 2014 2:16 AM

Oct 2013
Any rammstein fans?
Apr 10, 2014 8:50 AM

Mar 2014
I don't really have a pick on that question, but my favorite bands currently tend to be from the newer waves, concerning Black metal, I usually like newer bands more because they add more experimentation, I like bands with post-rock elements for example like An Autumn for crippled children, or who add even more unusual elements such as Metalcore, like Abigail Williams, or progressive music, like Borknagar. I like Death, Black, and Thrash, I enjoy many of the legends and oldschool sound of these genres, bands that are pure Death, Black or Thrash, or who fuse the three genres like Absu, I certainly enjoy many of the older bands such as Bathory, Burzum, Emperor, but currently my fave bands are from newer waves, Blut Aus Nord, Wolves in the Throne Room, Epoch of Unlight...

Now concerning Death metal I prefer the old school sound slightly more, but that doesn't mean the band has to be one among the first bands of the genre that came out in the previous decades, many new bands are going for this old sound, such as Krypts.
Apr 10, 2014 9:49 AM

Jan 2014
Fai said:
Shiratori-san said:

except that neither of the two are progressive metal? Metallica is thrash and Iron Maiden is somewhere in between NWoBHMand whatever_the_fuck_they_call_themselves.

Progressive metal is stuff like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OXoG796yBZA
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gqmez3nJxag
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tIqRsl8Vm-Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JfJP8fztGYQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mipc-JxrhRk

They might not be pure progressive bands, but they have several progressive songs. I'm not an expert in music genres, but what I meant to say is that I like music that is not repetitive. Of course both Metallica and Iron Maiden have a lot of repetitive songs, but even most of those sound great.
The writer who penned Clashing Feelings. You can buy the light novel on Amazon.
Apr 10, 2014 10:08 AM

Aug 2009
Doesn't really matter. I like Death as much as I like Obscura. Plus, older bands like Atheist and Meshuggah have been out some good albums since the advent of nu-metal.

Apr 10, 2014 12:52 PM

Mar 2014
i'd have to say, i don't really care at all. there are tons of great old and new bands. but if i had to choose, i'd say new. we're living now. no need to mourn about all the bands we never got to see. lets enjoy the bands we have now. future generations are going to look back at us like we do to the previous generations, and we'll be the ones to say ''i was there''.
M.P.D.S./F.O.A.D.
Apr 10, 2014 2:08 PM
Jan 2014
I prefer the new metal compared to the 80's. Although I first started hearing the 80's metal I've grown more found of the new metal.

Don't have any specific favorite genre but I don't like death metal at all.
Sometimes I feel like listening to heavy or metalcore, other times I Just like to listen to thrash or a more vintage sounding metal :P

Even though I love metal... Accoustic has a special place in my <3
Apr 29, 2014 4:44 PM

Apr 2014
I actually Prefer both!

I do like the 80's Thrash bands and early 70's classic Metal.
what can I say their the classics, and are important to Metal's Evolution music wise.

And I also like the newer stuff, Linkin Park, RATM, and the new wave of Thrash bands like Hexen.
Apr 29, 2014 7:34 PM

Jun 2013
This thread is hilarious.

I listen to a lot of metal, including Metallica haha. In fact, AJFA is my favorite album by them.

My favorite band is Dream Theater, followed by bands such as Nightwish, Epica, Type O Negative, Mastodon, Symphony X, and a few others.

I don't really listen to obscure stuff, but I have been digging deeper and deeper into music.
Apr 29, 2014 10:22 PM
Jul 2018
Evatallica said:
This thread is hilarious.

I listen to a lot of metal, including Metallica haha. In fact, AJFA is my favorite album by them.

My favorite band is Dream Theater, followed by bands such as Nightwish, Epica, Type O Negative, Mastodon, Symphony X, and a few others.

I don't really listen to obscure stuff, but I have been digging deeper and deeper into music.

Metallica is 'meh' metal.

Those douchebags forgot who their prime audience was.
Apr 30, 2014 2:14 AM

Apr 2014
I enjoy both.

Though I do prefer bands that emerged during the late 80ies and early and late 90ies.
Stuff like Opeth, Iced Earth, Insomnium, Pain, Sabaton, Blind Guardian, Circle of Dust,
Killswitch Engage, Celldweller(not really metal but it's close), Type O Negative, Sólstafir and Isis.

Apr 30, 2014 10:59 AM
Jul 2018
Here's some new metal from my motherland:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=stNgN-t0PLY

Here's some from Los Angeles, putitos:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tqll3l_2ykI
Apr 30, 2014 11:12 AM

Oct 2013
you can't just generalize metal into new metal and old metal and compare them, both of them have shitty and good bands.
JeavMay 5, 2014 1:06 PM
May 1, 2014 12:59 PM

Apr 2014
Emmure all the way!
May 1, 2014 1:33 PM

Jan 2014
Well I don't know I prefer Linkin Park metal, which is relativelty modern or new, but the older albums so maybe old? Or the genre itself which is Nu! This is confusing...

Modern all the way though.

Fade to Black is a nice old song though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2014 2:39 PM

Nov 2011
judals said:
Well I don't know I prefer Linkin Park metal, which is relativelty modern or new, but the older albums so maybe old? Or the genre itself which is Nu! This is confusing...

Modern all the way though.

Fade to Black is a nice old song though.

Linkin Park isn't metal >.<
May 1, 2014 2:44 PM

Jan 2014
Kirie_Himuro said:
Linkin Park formed in 1996 so if they're old, then I'm not sure what that makes me haha. Nu metal itself started in the early to mid 90s. You can look things like this up so I'm not sure why it would be confusing.

Haha I guess, but nu (new) metal is now outdated that even LP gave it up, which made their new albums suck.

DragonQuest3 said:

Says who?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
May 1, 2014 6:21 PM

Nov 2011
judals said:
Kirie_Himuro said:
Linkin Park formed in 1996 so if they're old, then I'm not sure what that makes me haha. Nu metal itself started in the early to mid 90s. You can look things like this up so I'm not sure why it would be confusing.

Haha I guess, but nu (new) metal is now outdated that even LP gave it up, which made their new albums suck.

DragonQuest3 said:

Says who?

Says anyone who actually knows what metal is.
May 1, 2014 6:44 PM

Dec 2012
I like both but I usually try to find heavy/speed/power bands of the 80s. They aren't my favourite but I see some appeal in them, the bad thing is they usually have one album released and nothing more. xD
About new metal... as I said I don't care whether it's new or old but I'm not a big fan of metalcore, yeah, I like some bands but I'm not a big fan.
May 1, 2014 7:51 PM
Jul 2018
Linkin Park isn't metal.

Get that through your head, poser.
May 1, 2014 9:35 PM

Jan 2014
Prochy said:
terrible thread, you can't just generalize metal into new metal and old metal and compare them, both of them have shitty and good bands.

There were shitty glam metal in the 80's and there is shitty metalcore bands now. There were amazing bands in the 80's like Death, and there are amazing bands now like Septicflesh.
JeavMay 5, 2014 1:06 PM
May 2, 2014 5:06 AM

Jan 2014
DragonQuest3 said:

It's nu metal/alternatve metal.

MellowJelloMay 2, 2014 6:24 PM
May 2, 2014 5:15 AM
Mar 2011
the advatage of Japanese metal is Nu metal nevr really took off Rap/rock did though band llike orange rage ataest to that [ even woth Japan being a genreation behind the west there is very little nu metal style muisc that is Japanese native] hell Grunge style muisc from native bands here is still a new thing

but on that Japan has its Kei muisc V Agura and Guro that of the most part keep indepatend muisc alive in Japan unless they change there style no guuro band would ever be put on major label ni mater the size of there fan base La vi en rose for exmaple
"If you tremble with indignation at every injustice, then you are a comrade of mine"

When the union's inspiration through the workers' blood shall run
There can be no power greater anywhere beneath the sun
Yet what force on earth is weaker than the feeble strength of one
For the Union makes us strong
May 2, 2014 6:11 AM

Nov 2011
judals said:

Nu metal is to heavy metal what tofu is to meat. Just because it has metal in the name does not mean its actually metal, thus why Linkin Park is not on the metal archives. I don't mean to be a whore about genres but this is common knowledge.

MellowJelloMay 2, 2014 6:23 PM
May 2, 2014 9:37 AM

Jan 2014
DragonQuest3 said:
judals said:
DragonQuest3 said:
judals said:
Kirie_Himuro said:

DragonQuest3 said:

Says who?

Says anyone who actually knows what metal is.

It's nu metal/alternatve metal.

Nu metal is to heavy metal what tofu is to meat. Just because it has metal in the name does not mean its actually metal, thus why Linkin Park is not on the metal archives. I don't mean to be a whore about genres but this is common knowledge.

If it's metal, it's metal. Subgenres are another discussion.
I find them more 'metal' than most of the popular "hardcore" metal bands...
May 2, 2014 10:59 AM

Dec 2011
judals said:

Older linkin park might be metal. I usually lump them with shitty rap core nowdays.

MellowJelloMay 2, 2014 6:23 PM
May 2, 2014 11:54 AM

Nov 2011
Kirie_Himuro said:
Nu metal is a form of alternative metal so while I hate to admit it since I can't stand the genre, it's still labelled as such - http://rateyourmusic.com/genre/Nu+Metal/

If you compare it to other genres then yes calling it metal I feel is a complete joke.
I always felt it had metal influence in it but is more dominated by other styles.
May 2, 2014 2:18 PM

Mar 2014
I like both of them but I prefer old metal..most of the bands are simply epic, they have some unique elements that when you hear a song you may not even know, you quickly understand the band. Slayer with great solos, Kreator with its particularity and great lyrics, megadeth with Mustaine's special recognizable voice, iron maiden and metallica of course. These bands cannot be forgotten. I agree that new metal bands have much talent and it's good that the era you said has been left behind, but I think newer bands like Slipknot or Bullet for my valentine etc cannot be compared to those I mentioned. They don't have the uniqueness of music or the lyrics that make you contemplate. Of course all genres of music develop and they can't stay the same throughout the years.
May 2, 2014 3:23 PM

Jan 2014
Hystery said:

Older linkin park might be metal. I usually lump them with shitty rap core nowdays.
Fine by me, HT, Meteora and MTM were metal enough for me

MellowJelloMay 2, 2014 6:21 PM
Pages (4) « 1 [2] 3 4 »

More topics from this board

» Favorite childhood TV shows?

56709 - 4 hours ago

0 by 56709 »»
4 hours ago

» Where do you stream music?

Cammell - Feb 17

30 by DollzchanAi »»
5 hours ago

» New Golden Axe animated series announced by Comedy Central

tchitchouan - 10 hours ago

4 by Adnash »»
5 hours ago

» What was the last song you listened to? ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Death - Oct 1, 2020

3378 by GoddessLove »»
11 hours ago

» Currently listening to ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

tsukareru - Mar 29, 2021

7598 by GoddessLove »»
12 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.