Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Apr 6, 2014 1:52 AM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Decent start so far. The OP is okay I guess and Natsu's voice fits pretty well. I see possible flags raised already. Still, I think the focus is mostly on tennis for now. Natsu is a pro at it anyways.

4/5. Good episode. Natsu is a cutie but whoa, that ending.
Apr 6, 2014 3:25 AM

Sep 2013
That was an okay start.
Apr 6, 2014 3:31 AM

Aug 2013
It got better in the second half. Now I'm stuck guessing until next week... damn cliffhanger -_-
Apr 6, 2014 3:36 AM

Jan 2012
Not bad, not bad at all. I was wondering if we'll get a decent sports show this season.

Apr 6, 2014 4:33 AM

Dec 2011
I guess it was a decent start to the series, although it seems some episodes will go into his training and probably things will get better later on.
"Let justice be done, though the heavens fall."
Apr 6, 2014 4:42 AM
Mar 2012
Pretty slow at first, can't wait to see this series pick up speed and go on with the tournaments~
Apr 6, 2014 4:51 AM

Sep 2008
Good adaptation of the start. Really love the manga so it's great to see it animated. Bit bummed it's only 25 episodes though, it probably won't reach any of the best parts of the manga during this season.
Apr 6, 2014 4:59 AM

May 2010
after watching an episode of Haikyuu!! this felt extremely underwhelming.

as much as i like sports anime..this is still tennis..very boring. unless its tennis + magic.

the art,the animation,the characters, the sport ..i dont really like any of it.

tennis just bores me to death. wont pick up.
KerozinnApr 6, 2014 5:07 AM
Apr 6, 2014 5:33 AM

Feb 2011
Kerozinn said:

as much as i like sports anime..this is still tennis..very boring. unless its tennis + magic.

I don't really like people who watches first episodes knowing that they will hate it and then come here and complain , but well , it's MAL. You shouldn't have watched it in the first place if you hate tennis.

I personally liked it and really got into it. Characters are pretty unique and animation seems okay too , so I will continue with it.

4/5 for the episode.
Apr 6, 2014 5:36 AM

Feb 2008
Average episode, nothing special. Hope it improves in the next episode.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 6, 2014 5:47 AM

May 2010
UnbornMVs said:
Kerozinn said:

I don't really like people who watches first episodes knowing that they will hate it and then come here and complain , but well , it's MAL. You shouldn't have watched it in the first place if you hate tennis.

I personally liked it and really got into it. Characters are pretty unique and animation seems okay too , so I will continue with it.

4/5 for the episode.

i know it must annoy you to no end but i try to give every show a chance cause it happened a few times that i found a liking to something like american football (eyeshield 21 ) even tho i thought its the lamest sport on earth and then i watched 145 episodes in 2 weeks cause it was soo much fun.

but this show being about tennis is just 1 aspect that i dont like.
animation is okay yes but we have seen sooo much better in recent sports anime. ofcourse budget plays a role but there is nothing i can change about that.

i have no problems with you liking this and you shouldnt have a problem with me disliking this unless you are intolerant.
Apr 6, 2014 5:56 AM
Jul 2018
I just hopes the romance picks up later on.. other then that it seems average show.... pretty much just watching this for the romance really... not a big fan of the sports types of animes.
Apr 6, 2014 6:04 AM

Aug 2010
Best OP i heard so far from this season.
i liked how the MC took notes in between the matches.
decent first ep , will continue to watch.
There's no girl to forge your weapons with.
Apr 6, 2014 6:17 AM

Aug 2011
A great first episode I will surely watch the rest of the show :D
Apr 6, 2014 6:37 AM

Sep 2012
That was good and enjoyable. I know this will get better since i read some manga chapters :) Will keep watching
Apr 6, 2014 6:40 AM

Jun 2012
Not bad, but not as good as p.o.t.

Kerozinn said:
UnbornMVs said:
Kerozinn said:

4/5 for the episode.

i know it must annoy you to no end but i try to give every show a chance cause it happened a few times that i found a liking to something like american football (eyeshield 21 ) even tho i thought its the lamest sport on earth and then i watched 145 episodes in 2 weeks cause it was soo much fun.

animation is okay yes but we have seen sooo much better in recent sports anime. ofcourse budget plays a role but there is nothing i can change about that.

i have no problems with you liking this and you shouldnt have a problem with me disliking this unless you are intolerant.
You should watch prince of tennis; it's basically tennis + magic
Sol_OuApr 6, 2014 6:44 AM
Apr 6, 2014 6:50 AM

Aug 2010
Not bad but the character designs are quite derpy. Hope they improve the animation a bit.

Should be interesting when it picks up though ^^
Apr 6, 2014 7:08 AM

Dec 2010
Thought I'd be dropping this after the first episode, but it's actually not that bad. I really like the main character :)
Apr 6, 2014 7:25 AM

Aug 2013
picking this up! who knows this will turn out to be good even with the decent start. I like the premise of honor student playing sports ~
Apr 6, 2014 7:33 AM

Jan 2009
fell asleep 3 times
俺の命を百合に。
Currently translating Sono Hanabira ni Kuchizuke o - Atelier no Koibito-tachi -- when bored.
Above visual novel is 22.22% translated with progress uploaded to youtube; if you're into yuri VNs, check out my channel.
Apr 6, 2014 7:36 AM

Aug 2013
Decent start. I'm not really a fan of the art so hopefully I'll get used to it. Ei-chan seems likable :)

Note to self: Watch this before Haikyuu!!
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Apr 6, 2014 7:49 AM

Feb 2010
It was a nice start for the series and they showed Ei-chan taking notes in the match at the start of the episode. The OP was also nice
Apr 6, 2014 8:34 AM

Sep 2012
OK start, nothing really stands out so far, but I kinda like the MC, and the match looks promising.

It has the potential to be a good sport anime.
Apr 6, 2014 8:39 AM

Jul 2013
You know you are smart when you takes notes in tennis
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 6, 2014 8:50 AM
Oct 2012
If you are expecting Prince of Tennis or something flashy like that, please don't. This is the closest thing to Inui's tennis though, although slightly different. Also don't expect any team matches and alike. This is mostly about the main character alone and his small progress to becoming a better tennis player really. A lot of episodes will probably be dedicated to technique and training alone.

Oh and don't expect much romance either. A lot of you seem to hope that romance will save this show or something, but there's hardly any really. Especially with 25 episodes only. The tag is there for a reason though, but don't expect much of it. You're better off watching an actual romance anime instead. That's all I'm saying.

Shortly said: Don't like the MC? Don't like realistic singles tennis? Want more focus on romance? This show is not for you then.
Pers0naApr 6, 2014 9:30 AM
Apr 6, 2014 9:06 AM

Oct 2013
The first episode I think set the stage pretty nicely.....It seems like it will pick up some speed. Over all pretty good first episode.
The Bird of Hermes is my name, Eating my wings to make me tame
Alucard
Apr 6, 2014 10:03 AM

Jul 2010
Good start, I fairly liked it honestly. Finally we get a MC who is meticulous and data-gather. Also, that awkward face of Takasaki at the end lol
Apr 6, 2014 10:06 AM

Feb 2008
Don't really like the voice they chose for Ei-chan and I wish they hadn't cut the scene where his mother forces him to try tennis, its pretty important later on.

Mikenzb said:
I just hopes the romance picks up later on.. other then that it seems average show.... pretty much just watching this for the romance really... not a big fan of the sports types of animes.

Unless its anime original content, it won't. There is romance in this series, and it is really well done, but its very sporadic and not at all the focus.
Apr 6, 2014 10:09 AM
Jun 2013
it was OK ...
Apr 6, 2014 10:23 AM

Jan 2010
Realistic sports anime? Sign me up!
Apr 6, 2014 10:39 AM

Feb 2012
flashback to build the story up... sometimes i like it sometimes i dont lol hope they dont waste/drag first 12 episodes just to build ei-chan up(probably gonna happen) episode was enjoyable (went by quick for me) I really do like that little kid who bullies him lol But 10 laps 5 suicides, jumps, side steps aint no joke! I felt that muscle soreness eichan was feeling
Apr 6, 2014 10:43 AM

Apr 2010
Finally! It has started!

I'm liking Ei-chan's voice, it really fits him. I'm also happy that the art is 100% the same.

Solid start, a bit slow but hey, that's not really a bad thing. Really looking forward to the matches!
Apr 6, 2014 10:56 AM

Mar 2010
Really loving the atmosphere. And i love Baby Steps.
Apr 6, 2014 11:18 AM

Feb 2014
Liked it even a bit more than Haikyuu. Really, really likeable main characters here and a very nice artstyle. I like the seemingly strategic and data centered approach of the main guy in contrast to all the other hot blooded protagonists of other series. Can't wait for him to start training and eventually enter a tournament with all sorts of cool opponents. Ganbatte ftw! ^^
Just sit back, and let your tears do the talking as I save you.
Apr 6, 2014 11:21 AM
Aug 2011
I can't stop looking at Ei-chan's hair ahaha.

Liked this, i'm really enjoying sports anime right now.
Happy that they get at least a 2-cour treatment wish it would have been longer like Yowamushi Pedal.
I for one, am glad that romance is not a big focus though I think it's a nice change to have it thrown in there anyway.

Why don't people like this art style?
It's bright and it has a sort of simplicity to it, I enjoy it.
Call me crazy I prefer to it to the kind of bland-ish almost kind of foggy art that Madhouse has been using lately (Mahou Sensou and Mahouka).
standApr 6, 2014 11:33 AM
Apr 6, 2014 11:49 AM

May 2013
Good episode. The MC loves taking notes and tries to making everything perfect like his lunch box lol. Definitely gonna watch the next episode.
Apr 6, 2014 11:51 AM

Jul 2012
I really like this. It reminds me of Eyeshield 21 (MC stars out weak) and Major (the romantic aspect). MC is so relatable to me. I hope he becomes a strategic player! Never seen a sports MC who's also an honour student. So far, one of the top shows of the season for me.

Art style is decent (a bit lazy sometimes tho) which is enough to grow on me in the next 24 episodes.

parfaited said:
I can't stop looking at Ei-chan's hair ahaha.

dat dinosaur spike lol
Apr 6, 2014 12:00 PM
Sep 2008
That opening scene with the tennis match was quite intriguing for me. The tennis match was very realistic and I loved it. That scene by itself won me over and got me as a devoted watcher already. I just want to see the end of that match now, which I think won't come for many episodes but it will be exciting to see Ei-chan build up to that.
Apr 6, 2014 12:01 PM

Jun 2013
I liked it.

Eiichiro is such a perfectionist, I actually know someone like that irl :)
Apr 6, 2014 12:04 PM

Sep 2008
I wish this show had better art style. Not that I'm gonna stop watching it for it, it's just a shame since it looks really good on story department.

MC is weird but likeable, story is good and his tennis match from future flashback looks like he uses notes to make "plays" and calculated moves. A great idea. Use the brain to win. Hopefully next episodes deliver on this.
Apr 6, 2014 12:07 PM
Jul 2018
It was not that bad, average start for an first episode. A honor student playing tennis.
Apr 6, 2014 12:11 PM

Dec 2013
Baby Steps is the absolute BEST sports manga out there (IMO of course). The reason the show (and the manga) start off so slow is in the title. Baby Steps. One of my favorite lines from the manga comes at the end of chapter 90 and epitomizes what the story and Ei-chan are all about. "Baby steps to giant strides." Ei-chan's meticulous OCD nature and his strategic way of playing tennis makes the series a joy to watch/read as he goes from a complete newbie to a tennis player who can contend on the international stage. His earnest and innocent romance with Nacchan is another high point of the series.

For those who were put off by the slow first episode, STICK WITH IT. Baby Steps is a different breed of sports anime/manga and Ei-chan is a MUCH MUCH more unique and interesting protagonist in a sports anime.

Baby steps to Giant strides.
A Wolf Runs Free.

To Dream the Impossible Dream.

Skip Beat is the only Idol Anime I will ever enjoy
Apr 6, 2014 12:54 PM
Jul 2012
Kerozinn said:
UnbornMVs said:
Kerozinn said:

4/5 for the episode.

Excuse me please don't start a series knowing you will dislike it and then dropping it and giving it a low rating because then it makes the anime look bad.
Apr 6, 2014 1:08 PM
Aug 2011
Jakerams said:
Excuse me please don't start a series knowing you will dislike it and then dropping it and giving it a low rating because then it makes the anime look bad.

This is funnier than it should be.
At least the scores won't count for people who dropped and rated after one episode.
Apr 6, 2014 1:15 PM

Jul 2012
@copperwolf: Wow, that's a beautiful quote! Now I'm even more hyped for this show. It seems like it'll be great just from this episode alone. Sports animu never disappoint.
Apr 6, 2014 1:25 PM

Jul 2013
Funny anime.. characters are likable too. I think I will like this especially since there's no bullshit superpower like KnB or Prince of Tennis.

There's also Minako Kotobuki and it's been a while since I heard her in a main role so yeah that's definitely a plus.

I also won't judge this as worse than Hakyuu since the manga seems to be quite popular. A lot of sports anime started out with a lot of adrenaline only to fizzle out in the middle. This one seems to start slow and will pick up more momentum as it goes on, at least that's the feeling I get from it.
MoeGodApr 6, 2014 1:30 PM
Apr 6, 2014 1:28 PM

Jan 2013
Good sports anime. I did enjoy Prince of Tennis. This will probably be better.
Maybe some romance sprinkled in.
Apr 6, 2014 1:30 PM

Jan 2011
I liked it. I honestly didn't think I would of liked it based off the PV but it has some potential or at the very least made me want to continue with it for the time being.
Apr 6, 2014 2:14 PM

Jan 2013
Loving this anime so far. Very spot on to the manga. Hopefully everything continues the way the manga did! Finally another Tennis anime that is on par to Prince of Tennis.
Apr 6, 2014 3:05 PM

Jul 2013
I love the OP!

Nice first episode. Being someone who is reading the manga, I think they did a nice job to start. I hope it continues.

I also hope that the anime original content they are planning on adding doesn't damage the overall quality of the series.

8/10 for the first episode.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2014

51 by 1Konochi »»
May 26, 2023 2:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.