Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]
Apr 11, 2014 9:07 PM

Mar 2011
Hate the character design of the main character but overall good anime. Great art and music
[Input amazing signature]
Jelly?
Apr 12, 2014 4:00 PM
Aug 2007
I really like the tennis-playing motions, as well as the general animation. If it keeps up, this is going to be good.
Apr 13, 2014 4:10 AM
Feb 2011
Kerozinn said:
UnbornMVs said:
Kerozinn said:
after watching an episode of Haikyuu!! this felt extremely underwhelming.

as much as i like sports anime..this is still tennis..very boring. unless its tennis + magic.

the art,the animation,the characters, the sport ..i dont really like any of it.

tennis just bores me to death. wont pick up.

I don't really like people who watches first episodes knowing that they will hate it and then come here and complain , but well , it's MAL. You shouldn't have watched it in the first place if you hate tennis.

I personally liked it and really got into it. Characters are pretty unique and animation seems okay too , so I will continue with it.

4/5 for the episode.

i know it must annoy you to no end but i try to give every show a chance cause it happened a few times that i found a liking to something like american football (eyeshield 21 ) even tho i thought its the lamest sport on earth and then i watched 145 episodes in 2 weeks cause it was soo much fun.

but this show being about tennis is just 1 aspect that i dont like.
animation is okay yes but we have seen sooo much better in recent sports anime. ofcourse budget plays a role but there is nothing i can change about that.

i have no problems with you liking this and you shouldnt have a problem with me disliking this unless you are intolerant.

well you dont like it cuz it's more realistic.
Apr 13, 2014 10:20 PM
Feb 2014
im hatin on the hair
the girl has a manly face
but
but
but it looks like it will be a good watch
I only read books i have already read
Apr 13, 2014 11:43 PM

Nov 2012
Nothing really happened in the first episode, but as someone who played tennis I liked it. Ei-chan is really hopeless, he couldn't even get trough the warm-up. I wonder what will he do to succeed, I mean tennis isn't a sport you can pick up at a late age as 15. Oh, well, I think I am too much of a realist, I am looking forward to see what happens next.
KamaxApr 13, 2014 11:57 PM
"I can have food or drinks spilled on me, or even be spit at and ill laugh about it ,
However , If for any reason you hurt a friend of mine, I won't forgive you!"

- Red-Haired Shanks
Apr 14, 2014 7:42 AM
Aug 2012
I think this series will be decent as long as the romance part don't fall short. I will start this show at a 7 out of 10. Also like that unrealistic stuff don't happen (so far) like in that volleyball series.
Apr 14, 2014 9:16 AM

Oct 2013
Seems okay
Apr 16, 2014 8:03 PM

Aug 2013
So. Many. Nose-penis.
Seriously though, some of the character are too ugly, it's inhuman xD

Ahhh, the embarassing creepy stalker eye-contact :P
I already bet that at one point, Ei will get jealous and she will tell him that he already have a girlfriend. I bet my hand on that (okay, no, maybe more my dinner...).

I'm in a pretty much similar situation than him (without the smart aspect), I can't follow people in various sport activity. It's not that I'm fat, in fact, I'm kinda thin, but I just have no endurance because I don't practice sport a lot. When I had my depression, I stopped playing sport at all for more than one year so getting back on track now is really hard...

I was so sure she would fuck up his note. It was asking to happen.
«Time is passing so quickly. Right now, I feel like complaining to Einstein. Whether time is slow or fast depends on perception. Relativity theory is so romantic. And so sad.»
- Kurisu Makise a.k.a. The Zombie
Apr 17, 2014 12:18 PM

Sep 2013
I just can't take the MC seriously with that hair.
LOOOOOOOL just stahp.

Average show, might give it a few episodes.
Apr 19, 2014 12:20 AM

Jan 2008
Natsu looks a lot cuter in the manga...

overall the manga has better art which leaves me sighing but i guess i'll watch it since I loved the manga
Apr 26, 2014 9:41 AM

Jun 2011
Manga art >>>> anime art, it looks really bad here. Having read this part in the manga, the episode was just.. meh. Ei-chan looked cool at the beginning when he was playing tennis, and I like the OST, but that's pretty much it. Animation was pretty bad too.

Glad that this is going to be different from the manga, because otherwise I would have dropped the anime and read the manga instead, and now I can do both.
Honobono Log - best slice of life short
--------------------------------------------
most kawaii loli overlord
----------------------------
Donquixote Doflamingo AMV - Control
May 1, 2014 8:57 AM

May 2012
01:29 dat ph-hair

18:11 obviously it's because of embarrassment

22:29 senrigan?

5/10 for this episode. Change the director please.

Nice songs.
Isayama Hajime should be awarded The Manga with The Highest Inconsistencies of Characters' Appearances.
He keeps performing multiple plastic surgeries on those Shingeki No Kyojin characters in a SINGLE chapter.
Yes, I've read up to the latest chapter of Shingeki No Kyojin manga.
Forced myself to read through the kidsketching chapters after the anime's ended. At least from now on, I only have to go through the hell once a month.
Patiently awaiting SNK TV/movie/OVA anime-sequel.
The 2015 SNK live-action movie would probably suck.
May 4, 2014 2:29 PM

Aug 2009
I liked this episode! Seems like it will be a very interesting anime. I don't really care for the pacing. Its implied by the title that this will be slow paced because he's learning something entirely new, while putting a new spin to it. I want to take this journey with him and watch him slowly improve. Seems fun! Not a fan of the opening though >.<

Jun 17, 2014 8:16 AM

Mar 2008
this anime looks "bad" (meaning I don't like anime art style), but it has so much heart.
what a nice guy and what a nice girl :) has the potential to be really great, I just wish the art style and character desgins would be better looking
Oct 18, 2014 11:15 PM

Sep 2011
I know its part of her design but that look at the end seemed really evil. LOL
Oct 29, 2014 5:35 AM

Jun 2013
Not really a fan of sports anime, but this was pretty good :)
Dec 22, 2014 10:36 AM

Oct 2009
I have never been bothered by big, colorful, makes-no-sense anime hairstyles before, but seriously, whats up with the main's hair? It bothers me.

3/5
You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me
Dec 27, 2014 11:45 AM

Dec 2012
Okay episode. A lot of things pissed me off. I'm not liking how the eyes were drawn.. I'll get use to it though. Don't like the op & ed. Ei-chan's a peculiar character for a sports anime. All the more interesting. 3/5.
Jan 14, 2015 8:30 AM

Jan 2015
First of all the title of Anime is really good and looking at how to story is progressing which is making it interesting but don't know why but concept looks more like this Anime
Jan 14, 2015 8:31 AM

Jul 2012
crazystone said:
First of all the title of Anime is really good and looking at how to story is progressing which is making it interesting but don't know why but concept looks more like this Anime

W-What?
Jan 28, 2015 4:09 PM

Jun 2014
Those are some good notes, I wish my notes were that detailed.

The art/animation looks better than the cover. Don't judge something by the cover really stands.

Not a fan of tennis watching or playing, but this got me interested.

Feb 13, 2015 5:10 PM

Jan 2013
Did she just trip on FLAT ground? wow
Mar 4, 2015 11:52 AM

Oct 2014
Okay start. Feels like a really happy and laid back anime which is nice :3
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Apr 24, 2015 5:36 PM

Jul 2014
where has this anime been all my life
May 29, 2015 9:57 PM

Mar 2014
Pretty good start I've seen better and worse first episodes. First off what was that warm up 10 laps, suicides, and some other stuff, I don't care if ei was an athlete or not Id be dying after that warm up and I've played on sports teams all my life. Also that girl has some next level eyesight she sniped him watching when he was watching her
Jul 28, 2015 3:46 PM

Jan 2015
The fuck is wrong with this protagonist's hair... "You certainly look like an honor student." Hmm, how about no !?

If this Natsu girl is the cutest, this highschool has pretty low standards :/ And a happy-go-lucky character, i get a feeling i won't like her very much...

That 6th sense killer instinct look at the end, something is definitely wrong with this one. Run, Yuki, run !
Jan 2, 2016 7:40 AM
Bunnies 🍓

Jan 2013
I know that feeling. First time lifting weights, arms were sore the following day. First time doing squats, legs were killing me.

Maruo sure has impressive note taking skills. I have yet to see a guy write notes in such an organized and neat way. Most of them write sloppy, and don't know how to keep the important stuff away from the relevant stuff. I'd sure be pissed if someone ruined my notes, poor Maruo, Natsu ruined his notes. Speaking of Natsu, why did she randomly look up at the end? Did she have a feeling Maruo was watching her?

Mar 1, 2016 4:05 AM

Aug 2013
HapHazrD said:
The fuck is wrong with this protagonist's hair... "You certainly look like an honor student." Hmm, how about no !?

If this Natsu girl is the cutest, this highschool has pretty low standards :/ And a happy-go-lucky character, i get a feeling i won't like her very much...

That 6th sense killer instinct look at the end, something is definitely wrong with this one. Run, Yuki, run !

Pretty much what I was thinking LOL.
What's with the chicken hairstyle ?!!
There's another dude with the funny nose..
Hmmm.. they have quite unusual character designs.
Well I haven't seen sports anime for awhile.
Let's hope this is enjoyable.
Apr 3, 2016 8:08 PM

Feb 2015
Seems rather interesting. A show about tennis without magic? I wonder if I can get used to it after watching PoT for so long.

On another note, the Kageyama threw me off for a second haha. Damn Haikyuu!!
Jul 6, 2016 2:24 AM

Jun 2013
Finally watching this series after some time. Natsu reminds me of Monami from Capeta.
臭い-
Nov 22, 2016 2:49 PM
Sep 2009
What kind of hairstyle is that? Just who on earth turns their fringe into a peacock thing? Animator's must have hated animating it.
Feb 3, 2017 7:49 PM
Sep 2009
Unfortunately, if anime wants to keep faithful to the manga, they have to keep the quirky character designs. Anyone saw the "insane eyes" on the anime about Japanese snacks? That's show she's drawn in the manga.

Anyway, love the bratty little kid. Most of these beta MC's just let people tread on them, but the kid gets the MC good and mad! Thanks to the reviewers who let me know that this would be a realistic anime. I'm not into sports -- or cooking shows -- but like to see the realistic "details" behind them.
Dec 17, 2017 6:31 PM

Jun 2016
I really enjoyed this. Ei-chan is adorable and the animation is really satisfying during tennis scenes. I laughed at the jokes quite a bit too. The theme about finding what you love is a bit on the nose, but I'm not against it. But, Natsu's intensity freaks me out sometimes, like with that Higurashi stare at the end of the episode. Anyways, looking forward to watching more.
Feb 16, 2019 2:02 AM

Aug 2017
This anime seems cheap and ugly. I rarely see such ugly anime as this one. OP and ED were forgettable and there was no music within the episode. Also that little kid is annoying. And there's no reason for the cute blonde girl to like the stout MC.

I'll keep watching but not feeling enthusiastic.
Feb 20, 2019 6:37 PM
Apr 2016
Really great starting, already hooked on this! Usually it takes a few episodes for me to get hooked up, but this one, I'm already interested and excited for the next episode. Seems like I'll finish this in a few days, since it seems really good.
Dec 27, 2019 10:16 PM

Nov 2013
What's with the character designs in this show? It's like the characters in Ookiku Furikabutte mated with those from Zipang.
That aside, the story, though one-dimensional so far, is very technically sharp on details. Looking real good so far.
Nov 15, 2020 12:36 PM

Jul 2017
Rewatching Baby Steps, originally loved this but haven't seen the anime for a long time now so gonna see how it holds up nowadays.

This episode was pretty slow but decent nonetheless. Maruo seems like a chill guy although he's smart and too much of a perfectionist. Natsu's also a nice heroine as well, and someone who clearly loves doing what she loves, tennis. Nothing too unique about the start, but it should get better as Maruo gets more and more into tennis and hones on his fitness and skills.

The visuals are nothing to write home about, but it does the job enough.

And that opening song, "Believe in Yourself"... oh how I've missed this song. I used to listen to this song a lot after finishing Baby Steps initially and it is up their in my favorite anime opening songs list. Such a catchy and really great opening song that gets me in the mood not only to see this show, but to go out and run or work out as well. Even play tennis, since I do enjoy playing tennis as well here.
Jun 17, 2021 1:39 PM

Jul 2016
Pretty good start for a 25 episode-long spokon. I like Eiichirou as the MC and his interactions with Natsu seem quite natural so far.
Jan 6, 2022 1:53 PM
Jul 2020
Really nice first episode 9/10.Feels like wholesome with sports action.MC seems to okayish and other charcter are also good lets see how it proceeds.
Mar 22, 2022 10:55 AM

Jul 2021
This feels like a realistic portrayal of a sport anime.
"......If I told you that I was a real witch, would you believe it?"

Apr 10, 2023 9:34 AM
May 2020
The animation is really boring, but realistic.
I think it is nice to see an anime where a character learns how to play a sport from a complete beginner position.
Apr 27, 2023 12:55 AM
Nov 2017
it was average, not bad but still avrage
Jun 8, 2023 6:50 PM
Dec 2014
i loved this anime
Oct 5, 2023 6:50 AM

Sep 2017
animation is eerie

premise is good ig

thats all

his home is near train hence necessity mother of invention

Without change,we end up becoming the very person we hate.

I was dead until the moment I met you. I was a powerless corpse pretending to be alive. Living without power, without the ability to change my course, was bound to lead me to a slow death.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]

More topics from this board

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 21, 2014

93 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 5:49 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 14, 2014

55 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 14, 2023 2:40 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Sep 7, 2014

54 by 1Konochi »»
Jun 5, 2023 12:04 PM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 21 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 24, 2014

52 by 1Konochi »»
May 27, 2023 10:16 AM

Poll: » Baby Steps Episode 20 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Aug 17, 2014

51 by 1Konochi »»
May 26, 2023 2:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.