Forum Settings
Forums
New
Sep 9, 2009 6:19 AM
Oct 2008
You know how you have the option to favorite people's reviews or have people favorite your review?

Could there be an option in a reviews My Reviews section that lets them see how many times their review has been favorited? And a link list of all the users who favorited specific reviews?

I give you an example:

And then when you click on the numbers or someting, you get linked to a list of the members, like so:

It's pretty much a waste that you even include a Favorites section on our profiles and we can't even see who favorited the reviews.

Mod edit: Please use spoiler tags to avoid stretching the forums.
asandariSep 11, 2009 6:15 PM
Sep 9, 2009 6:45 AM

Oct 2008
iamjoe said:
It's pretty much a waste that you even include a Favorites section on our profiles and we can't even see who favorited the reviews.

If you think it's a waste to have favourite reviews in the first place, why would you care if the user info is logged or not?

And if it were, how would it benefit the reviewer? He/she already has an idea of what people think of the review from the helpful/not helpful stats. By seeing who favourited the review, what?

(spoilers much?)
Sep 9, 2009 6:50 AM
Oct 2008
olmecalmighty said:

If you think it's a waste to have favourite reviews in the first place, why would you care if the user info is logged or not?

I mean, it's a wasting the potential of the feature.

olmecalmighty said:

And if it were, how would it benefit the reviewer? He/she already has an idea of what people think of the review from the helpful/not helpful stats. By seeing who favourited the review, what?

Helpful/not helpful is not an accurate way to see whether people LIKED your review enough to favorite it. It just shows that your review was helpful. Look at the loads of crap reviews (including some of my own) that get high helpful scores. That does not mean people truly like them. I'd like to know who favorited any of my reviews.

What do you mean how would it benefit? I get to see how many people really like my reviews enough to favorite it. Is MAL not about ratings, favoriting things, keeping score, keeping track, keeping check of anime, manga, people, reviews, recommendations and an assortment of other things?
Sep 9, 2009 12:17 PM

Sep 2007
iamjoe said:

What do you mean how would it benefit? I get to see how many people really like my reviews enough to favorite it. Is MAL not about ratings, favoriting things, keeping score, keeping track, keeping check of anime, manga, people, reviews, recommendations and an assortment of other things?

I wouldn't say it is about those things entirely. MAL's major purpose is the anime list. (which was originally all the site really was) All the other stuff is just extra sugar on top, IMO.
Sep 9, 2009 12:51 PM
Oct 2008
TheDrunkenShadow said:
iamjoe said:

I wouldn't say it is about those things entirely. MAL's major purpose is the anime list. (which was originally all the site really was) All the other stuff is just extra sugar on top, IMO.

Right, so if they sugar up things for other people, what's wrong with my request? It's perfectly helpful to reviewers.
Sep 9, 2009 7:42 PM

May 2007
LOL. I love how everyone in the "suggestion forums" will now say how would it beneft/contribute/help MAL or its users.

Regardless, I actually like this idea. Not sure how much it actually means, but you totally have my vote for this.

+1
Sep 9, 2009 7:50 PM
Jun 2008
I don't see a problem with this either, seems interesting. And iamjoe, I sure do find those stats you gave as examples quite fascinating :P

If they do in fact decide these things by vote, then I guess you got my +1 as well.
Sep 11, 2009 6:21 AM
Sep 2007
iamjoe said:
You know how you have the option to favorite people's reviews or have people favorite your review?

Could there be an option in a reviews My Reviews section that lets them see how many times their review has been favorited? And a link list of all the users who favorited specific reviews?

I give you an example:

And then when you click on the numbers or someting, you get linked to a list of the members, like so:

Totally unnecessary, since nobody (and I mean NOBODY) here reads reviews longer than 2-3 sentences.

Anything longer than that is a complete waste of time.
Sep 11, 2009 6:49 AM

Oct 2007
I can agree with being able to see the number of times it's been favorited, but not being able to see who it's been favorited by.
Sep 11, 2009 5:33 PM
Jun 2008
Mjaut said:
Totally unnecessary, since nobody (and I mean NOBODY) here reads reviews longer than 2-3 sentences.

I do love those spectacular Haruhi 2 reviews.
Sep 11, 2009 6:08 PM
Sep 2007
tehnominator said:

Those aren't reviews.
Sep 11, 2009 7:02 PM
Jun 2008
Mjaut said:
tehnominator said:

Those aren't reviews.

Most are 2-3 sentences of awesomeness. I wouldn't read anything longer than that.
Sep 12, 2009 5:01 AM

Sep 2008
Mjaut said:
tehnominator said:

Those aren't reviews.

And 2-3 sentence reviews are? Seriously just because you don't doesn't mean NOBODY does.

On the original suggestion, I dont think its a bad idea.

+1
Sep 12, 2009 5:04 AM
Sep 2007
Skadi said:
Mjaut said:
tehnominator said:

Those aren't reviews.

And 2-3 sentence reviews are? Seriously just because you don't doesn't mean NOBODY does.
Sep 12, 2009 5:20 AM

May 2007
Mjaut said:
iamjoe said:

I give you an example:

Anything longer than that is a complete waste of time.
I read them. In which case I am nobody. And that means I can't read them, because I don't exist. And if I can't read them, then it means I am somebody, in which case I can read them, and...

Fuck it. Anyway, I'm no fan of those whole favorite review business, but since it exists, this looks like a good suggestion. The site would feel more complete this way.
Dec 12, 2009 12:28 PM
Oct 2008
So what does this mean, my suggestion has not been considered or has it?

Fine, perhaps there is no need for anyone to see who favorited the stuff but at least let there be an option for the reviewers to see how many favorities a particular review got.

It would only be fair, since people are allowed to favorite something.
Dec 14, 2009 11:10 AM
Overlord

Nov 2004
I think the OP is missing the intention of the favorite review/rec system. You're not selecting the review/rec to favorite, you're selecting the user.

So, in this case, I guess you'd want an option to see who has favorited you?
Dec 15, 2009 1:10 PM
Oct 2008
Xinil said:
I think the OP is missing the intention of the favorite review/rec system. You're not selecting the review/rec to favorite, you're selecting the user.

Oh, thank you for replying to this thread.

And also you explained the system to me; I didn't realize that you are favoriting the reviewer and not individual reviews (I have not made use of this system myself, so I don't know exactly how it works).

But if that is the case, then yes, I think I'll change the request to have an option for reviewers to see how many people have favorited them as reviewers or recommendation makers.

It does not have to be as elaborate as also seeing a specified list of all the users who have favorited you as well, but if that is no problem and can be facillitated, then that would also be a suggestion.

Thank you very much for your time.
Dec 25, 2009 10:28 AM
Jun 2008
Xinil said:

Oh, I didn't know that was how that worked either...

More topics from this board

Poll: » Add list setting to make notes private (on public lists)

S_h_a_r_k_93 - Nov 12, 2022

25 by anonymate »»
7 hours ago

» Add number of episodes and number of members in the advanced search.

Yacine2104 - Jan 10

8 by Alexioos95 »»
Yesterday, 12:26 PM

» Local Language districts

kuroneko99 - Apr 22

5 by Luchipher-Zen »»
Apr 23, 1:02 PM

Poll: » Change picture of favorite character ( 1 2 )

gehoti2822 - Nov 12, 2022

60 by AgravityBoy »»
Apr 23, 9:09 AM

» Corporate images

Noctisnox - May 15, 2023

19 by himanshi122 »»
Apr 19, 5:51 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.