Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Jan 17, 2008 7:01 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
It's been quite an uneven ride, yet "Nadia" finally comes to a close in this final episode... but not before more shocking revelations, unexpected twists and surprises, emotionally gripping drama, love beyond death, and a tearjerking ending leave you on the edge of your seat... or rather, blow you away. The ending of "Nadia" has been praised as one of the best ever for Anime by its fans, and for good reason--it brings the story to a very satisfying resolution, ending it on a high note. Equally pleasing is that we get a sense of closure as we see an epilogue that details what happened to our pals following their adventures with the Atlanteans. In short, a grand finish for everyone involved. While Hideaki Anno can be seen as a controversial director, he nonetheless deserves commendment for ending this inconsistent series on a high note.
JTurnerAug 24, 2016 9:29 AM
Aug 6, 2008 2:32 AM

May 2008
Nice ending, BUT...

How old was Samson when he married Marie...for that matter, how old was MARIE?!
[font="TwitterChirp, -apple-system, BlinkMacSystemFont, \"Segoe UI\", Roboto, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif"]My Prostate is NOT the size of a lemon. [/font]
Nov 9, 2008 12:42 PM
Mar 2008
IIRC, the epilogue took place 14 years later. That would have meant Marie was 18. And Sanson in his early forties.
Nov 3, 2009 1:45 AM
Nov 2007
That was an alright ending. Don't really have much else to say. I guess I became too bitter through the island episodes.
Dec 22, 2009 1:25 AM

Feb 2009
I had heard of the quality of this show before, still it was surprisingly good. The characters were great and they kept developing each episode, the story was interesting and gripping and the ending was absolutely outstanding (a trademark of Gainax). My enjoyment of the series and my score of it do not include the infamous island/africa arcs, I've heard of how bad they were and how they ddin't contribute to the story, so I skipped them and I'm glad I did, I didn't miss a thing.

The second half of this episode had me in tears almost the whole time, the mere thought of the tragic existence and sad destiny of Captain Nemo contributed for that.
Dec 30, 2009 11:32 AM
Jan 2008
Veethorn said:
I had heard of the quality of this show before, still it was surprisingly good. The characters were great and they kept developing each episode, the story was interesting and gripping and the ending was absolutely outstanding (a trademark of Gainax). My enjoyment of the series and my score of it do not include the infamous island/africa arcs, I've heard of how bad they were and how they ddin't contribute to the story, so I skipped them and I'm glad I did, I didn't miss a thing.

The second half of this episode had me in tears almost the whole time, the mere thought of the tragic existence and sad destiny of Captain Nemo contributed for that.

Well I'm very happy for you that you got a very nice experience from this show by skipping over the episodes. I agree, this finale really is quite poignant and powerful, although I do admit that I wish it could have been a little longer. Episodes 35-39 are fantastic, no questions asked, but I wouldn't have minded this final story being stetched into eight episodes: we could replace the whole Africa village story/music video episode with something that could flesh out the final act.
Mar 10, 2011 1:38 AM

Feb 2011
I actually liked the ending. It was sad when Jean died and then later on when Captain Nemo sacrificed himself, just so that Nadia and Jean can stay alive (especially when Jean comes back alive again).

I really felt sorry for Grandis, seeing that Grandis is one of my favorite characters. I did like how the ending turn out. I awwed at Jean and Nadia's wedding and at grown king too. And i kinda loled at Marie and Samson's part in the end. I was seriously like OMG.

still good ending and i was glad i was able to watch it at animeseasons.com
May 19, 2011 3:22 PM
Feb 2011
After finishing Nadia i immediately added Jean to my "favorite characters" list. He's such a lovable guy. Second favorite would be Marie. This show was at times surprisingly serious. The conditions on how Jean and Nadia met Marie surprised me by how desperate everything seemed, but i loved how she was treated and raised like Jean and Nadia's daughter.

The transition for me from episode 31 to 35 was a little rocky, but the ending made up for it. I skipped over the Island and Africa arcs thanks to some advice and spared myself some suffering. The ending was great. i was not really expecting what i saw in the epilogue when Marie was explaining what happened and i paused at the pictures on the wall. i was like "wait what?" Great recovery ending for a strangely lovable show. too bad the Africa and Island arcs exist.
May 25, 2011 6:06 AM

Aug 2009
Great last episode. It had me at the edge of my seat the whole time. So many twists, turns, and shockers at the last moment. I almost couldn't handle it. I'm glad they had an epilogue to wrap things up.
lol. Hanson has a giant business empire. And who would have thought Sanson ended up marrying Marie. I would have liked to see Grandis ending up with one of the two at least.

One thing though, was Electra pregnant with captain Nemo's baby?! Too bad we didn't get to see the child.
toneytigreMay 25, 2011 6:20 AM
Nov 19, 2011 4:32 AM

May 2010
Quite good for a 90s series.
Hard for me to rate this higher since most of the days saved by those trio while main characters are kinda....ugh....especially Nadia :/
So 7/10
GnowmiNov 19, 2011 7:11 AM
May 18, 2012 4:27 AM

Mar 2009
dam i envy samson~ hahaha
Jul 5, 2012 9:42 PM

Sep 2009
Ummm Sanson is a pedophile lawl no seriously, I enjoyed the series overall and how it concluded. It's unfortunate that the island/Africa arc is such a disaster because it prevents me from rating the series higher (why oh why did they decide to make those episodes) but I suppose the next time I watch the series I'll just skip those episodes. Anyways, this was a satisfying ending to an entertaining series.
not a job creator

Jul 6, 2012 12:14 PM
Jan 2008
Joe00123 said:
Ummm Sanson is a pedophile lawl no seriously, I enjoyed the series overall and how it concluded. It's unfortunate that the island/Africa arc is such a disaster because it prevents me from rating the series higher (why oh why did they decide to make those episodes)

Simple: corporate greed. The show was doing so well that they wanted more money out of it, so they commissioned those episodes which were never supposed to be part of the plot anyway, hence why the arc in question feels like a completely different personality compared to eps 1-22 and 35-39.
Apr 4, 2013 7:42 PM

Mar 2011
I fucking HATED Nadia, more than any other fictional female ever.

Good thing everyone else was great otherwise I don't think I'd have been able to sit through this show no matter how good the story was.
Sep 26, 2013 11:29 PM

Dec 2010
Very nice ending (especially pedo Sanson), I liked the anime, I expected something else from the beginning, but it still was good, I'll give it a 9/10
Dec 28, 2013 11:28 AM

Jun 2010
A pretty expected end for the adventure show that this is but I think it belies some of its scattered attempts at sophistication.

Nemo impregnating Electra after saying he thought of her as his daughter in episode 22 is pretty weird.
Mar 4, 2014 5:51 PM

Mar 2012
I think the father of Electra's child is one of the radar operators or something - NOT Nemo.
Mar 26, 2014 4:05 PM
Feb 2013
A great ending to a great series!

The fact that Nadia had to sacrifice her powers to save Jean was one of the most touching aspects.

We never found out too much about Nadia's Mother so the final glipse of her was very moving.

One the whole I really enjoyed the show, I knew about the arc episodes before I started watching, so I knew what to expect.
Apr 11, 2014 8:02 PM

Apr 2012
I'm pretty meh about the epilogue, but that was one hell of a finale. Gainax really did have a talent for ending things on a high note back then.
May 6, 2014 2:46 PM

May 2008
Glad it ended well. When I was a child I watched it on tv and now I finally watched it to the end :) That part where his brother try to rescue Nadia was really well done! I didn't regret that I watched the filler arc. I was just curious how bad it really is and I timeskipped the most part of it.

Time to watch the movie now haha...
CCL_SamaMay 6, 2014 3:03 PM
Jul 2, 2014 6:57 PM

Aug 2008
Watching this really makes me want to watch more 90s anime or even before. They have their charm that can't be found in the nowadays anime.

About this last episode, I feel like the staff pulled some convenient storyline which I don't consider it a strong and satisfying ending as it could have been. (And Electra being pregnant is weird...) However, I really like the after math told by Marie. After that, I don't think I'm going to watch the filler episodes as I planned to. It feel completed.
Jul 2, 2014 7:28 PM
Jan 2008
Kurini said:
Watching this really makes me want to watch more 90s anime or even before. They have their charm that can't be found in the nowadays anime.

About this last episode, I feel like the staff pulled some convenient storyline which I don't consider it a strong and satisfying ending as it could have been. (And Electra being pregnant is weird...) However, I really like the after math told by Marie. After that, I don't think I'm going to watch the filler episodes as I planned to. It feel completed.

And it's for your own good that you don't. Trust me. It'll make you hate an otherwise great show.
Oct 4, 2014 5:06 AM
Sep 2014
I did watch these episodes, and while I disliked them (in fact, I marathoned them in one night to get over them quickly) I felt that they would be hard to completely skip. If you just skip to episode 35, it feels weird.
Jan 19, 2015 5:08 PM
Jan 2008
UltHamBro said:
I did watch these episodes, and while I disliked them (in fact, I marathoned them in one night to get over them quickly) I felt that they would be hard to completely skip. If you just skip to episode 35, it feels weird.

Not totally. Only episodes 30 and 31 could be viewed. But there's absolutely no defending the existence of episodes 32-34. Those are the worst offenders and were absolutely unnecessary to the flow of the story. Plus nothing in these episodes is referenced ever again in episode 35. The island arc (23-29) could have been more compelling if it didn't waste so much time in the characters acting like idiots and the cartoonish stunts. It was too long as well. Honestly, the only salvageable bits from those episodes are the flashback scenes where Nadia talks about her past in the circus, and Gargoyle's "funeral" for Nemo. But everything else? It's just padding, and badly conceived at that.
Jun 2, 2015 8:27 PM
Jun 2015
Funny. I find nothing wrong with the island episodes. I guess it depends on the personality of the viewer. You know what they say, Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.
Jun 3, 2015 6:32 PM
Jun 2015
KhakiBlueSocks said:
Nice ending, BUT...

According to episode 24, Marie was born April 10, 1885 (if you did not skip this episode you'll know). Her narration at the ending dates back to 1902 which means she's just seventeen and pregnant. She probably married at 16. But, hey, the year was 1900s and in those times there were no strict law about marrying a young girl yet. But if it were today Samson's going to be sued. And during those years you can't call Samson a pedophile. Why? 'Coz that word don't exist yet back then. The word "pedophile" was formed in 1905 ( according to Google research hehe).
xyphoidosirisJun 3, 2015 6:36 PM
Jun 3, 2015 7:07 PM
Jun 2015
JTurner said:
UltHamBro said:

Not totally. Only episodes 30 and 31 could be viewed. But there's absolutely no defending the existence of episodes 32-34. Those are the worst offenders and were absolutely unnecessary to the flow of the story. Plus nothing in these episodes is referenced ever again in episode 35. The island arc (23-29) could have been more compelling if it didn't waste so much time in the characters acting like idiots and the cartoonish stunts. It was too long as well. Honestly, the only salvageable bits from those episodes are the flashback scenes where Nadia talks about her past in the circus, and Gargoyle's "funeral" for Nemo. But everything else? It's just padding, and badly conceived at that.

"Acting like idiots" and "Cartoonish stunts" are all part of japanese animes. Westerners could never understand. They're too serious to understand. I guess a human's sense of humor depends on the environment he grew up to, heh.
Jul 10, 2015 11:38 AM
Jan 2013
I wanted very much to like this show. I stuck with it for all 39 episodes. There were some parts that I enjoyed, but there were far more parts that I did not. The show is supposed to revolve around the mysterious blue water, but they never REALLY say what it does except for the vague power that it offers to Nadia which can supposedly destroy the world if she wanted to. I didn't care about the characters. out of the 39 episodes, Nadia was likable for about 15 minutes. This show really seemed to center more around Nadia bitching about people eating meat than anything else. Like I said, I did not care about the characters. Every time they had a character in danger that needed to be rescued, a part of me was hoping that they would just die. I did enjoy the way that they tied the atlanteans into evolution and the bible, however. I found a number of the alternate history aspects very clever. I would have enjoyed seeing Nemo and Gargoyle settle things in melee combat. It would have been much more personal than having the Nautilus break in and shoot him. Oh well, I'm glad that I watched the show regardless, but it is not one that I will recommend.
Oct 21, 2015 1:50 AM

Jul 2015
WTF? How am I going to rate this animu? A shitload of fillers then 3 completely mind-blowing episodes!!! RAAAAAAAAAAH!!!

Also, Sanson president best supporting character ever 10/10. I love that guy. Teaching 4 yo girls to lie and cheat, then marry her when she's 16. Such a troll.
Jan 20, 2016 7:27 PM

Nov 2011
WOW this thing got so corny and cliché. I stopped giving a rat's ass about the story. I really should have read beforehand and skipped those fucking fillers. They never bothered me so much before, but THIS... THIS was the FIRST FUCKING TIME FILLERS HAVE EVER PISSED ME OFF SO HARD IT MAKES 911 LOOK LIKE JAPANESE NEW YEAR IN THE BACKYARD.

Gunbuster's end has WAY more sentimental value, even for a 6-episode series.
ooooo look at everyone doing great 12 years later oooooooo SHIT I DON'T CARE ANYMORE MAAAAN WHY BOTHER SHOWING ME ALL THIS AFTER SHOWING ME ALL THAT

Although the story DOES have some interesting theories that intertwine religion, legends, science (especially evolution theory), this shit spent more time making me hate the characters instead of liking them.

I don't want to know what the hell happened between episodes 23 and 35. GAINAX, u fukin GAI

tho i'm happy about Marie and Sanson
That's all I care about
everything and everyone can fuk thslvs ,,|,,
who the hell cares about Jean and Nadia WHEN YOU GOT SANSON AND MARIE
Feb 19, 2016 3:25 AM

Feb 2008
So basically Nadia pulled an Usagi Drop way before Usagi Drop. Guy literally raised the mother of his future child. At this point I'm not sure what was weirder, Electra being pregnant with Nemo, or Marie marrying Sanson. I assume Sanson probably took care of her as well after the adventure, since without family, someone must have taken care of her.

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Apr 11, 2016 12:00 AM

Sep 2010
Jean/Nadia is cute and there's nothing wrong with Eiko/Ikolina. Sanson/Marie and Electra/Nemo are both fucking weird though. I'll just pretend they didn't happen like all the stupid fillers.
Jun 25, 2016 2:17 AM
Mar 2016
I thought the ending was alright. It was packed with a few too many twists and weird revelations. Marie and Sanson is really suspect, Medina and Nemo is disappointing. The last half of the show failed to capture the emotional resonance of the first half. Overall though I love a happy ending and I was satisfied. Someday if I want to watch more Nadia I'll go back to the filler episodes.
Jun 25, 2016 3:42 PM
Jan 2008
rolltier said:
I thought the ending was alright. It was packed with a few too many twists and weird revelations. Marie and Sanson is really suspect, Medina and Nemo is disappointing. The last half of the show failed to capture the emotional resonance of the first half. Overall though I love a happy ending and I was satisfied. Someday if I want to watch more Nadia I'll go back to the filler episodes.

Or better yet, don't. Trust me, they're awful.
Jun 25, 2016 3:53 PM
Mar 2016
JTurner said:
rolltier said:

Or better yet, don't. Trust me, they're awful.

I watched up to the first half of episode 26 which was just too bad to go on so I skipped to the important episodes. I've seen the "real" story already which I liked. Like a reviewer said the filler episodes weren't horrible but they were horribly mediocre in comparison to the rest. Treating them like harmless dumb fun separate from the real show wouldn't hurt, like all those shorts included before movies start.
Jul 23, 2016 3:43 AM
Sep 2013
xyphoidosiris said:
KhakiBlueSocks said:
Nice ending, BUT...

According to episode 24, Marie was born April 10, 1885 (if you did not skip this episode you'll know). Her narration at the ending dates back to 1902 which means she's just seventeen and pregnant. She probably married at 16. But, hey, the year was 1900s and in those times there were no strict law about marrying a young girl yet. But if it were today Samson's going to be sued. And during those years you can't call Samson a pedophile. Why? 'Coz that word don't exist yet back then. The word "pedophile" was formed in 1905 ( according to Google research hehe).

There are no laws now or then against marrying a younger girl (or guy) as long as they're over the age of consent. Whether or not he's a pedophile would depend on how old she was when he started to want to fuck her. Regardless, 23 years age difference is pretty steep but definitely not unheard of.

Also note the Nemo is 20 years older than Electra. I guess the girls in this anime just love old man dicks.
MrNTRJul 23, 2016 3:47 AM
Aug 24, 2016 12:08 AM

Jun 2016
That was a cheesy, yet very satisfying ending. I'm super happy with this show its a super easy 7/10 for me. Would easily be a 8 if the filler wasn't in there.

The only thing that urks me is how wrong it felt that Sanson and Marie got married, I assume it was a totally pure relationship they had man. Was Sanson a lolicon that whole time? It just feels nasty, you aren't a part of raising a young girl to marry her man.
Oct 16, 2016 9:13 PM

Jan 2010
First my criticisms. Nadia: Secret of Blue Water, really wanted to be an adventure anime at first. Then it wanted to be a celebration of science and technology. Then it wanted to be a cautionary tale, combining discussions over the relationship between science, nature, and man. Then it was a romance anime. Then it was a science fiction action anime. Then it was a space battle anime with the world on the verge of being conquered, if not outright destroyed. I think this anime should have picked one identity - two max- and stuck with it. As is, it's somewhat disjointed, featuring a number of very interesting points, despite not all of them really connecting. This is on top of the inconsistent characterization of the characters, even outside of the problem episodes. In those cases though, the characters are more so used as talking heads to parrot ideas as opposed to being their own characters. The nature of its developmental problems really show, but it's not as bad as it could have been, luckily.

With regards to what I liked, I loved the celebration of technology in this show, which really echo the original novel. I also liked the manner which technology was shown to be destructive as much as it's marvelous, which is, again like the novel. These were adapted to fit the modern day, and it's quite meaningful for an anime made for the Japanese audience to feature a narrative warning of weapons of mass destruction. At the same time, it's not necessarily a calling for regression. It instead proposes a middle ground, albeit being a lesson that's been done before, even during the show's original airing. Rather, it's more so interesting to see old stories renewed, carrying the same general lessons for the new age. It's almost a reminder of how far we've gone, as well as how little we've progressed.

I'm glad to have finally watched this anime, as I've been hyped for it for the longest time. The ending was definitely the most graphic, being one of the few episodes to have blood I believe. The upgrades to art and animation also showed in the past few episodes, culminating to this one that gave this episode the proper climax feeling. I still have a number of minor nitpicks, but they didn't really distract from the overall experience. Great stuff.

...Though, I must wonder. When did Sanson start caring about Marie again? I remember questioning that before, but they never really felt like they had a connection. I'd also question marrying a girl you knew from when she was still a child, as I would question Nemo having a child with Electra whom he raised as his own daughter, but I think those an invitation to a world of headaches. Leaving Nadia: Secret of Blue Water as is, I definitely enjoyed the ride.
ShockedOct 16, 2016 9:16 PM
Mar 8, 2017 11:02 PM
Mar 2016
I said I finished this but I really didn't... Time to bury those island episodes and never see them.
Mar 18, 2017 9:59 AM
Jan 2008
rolltier said:
I said I finished this but I really didn't... Time to bury those island episodes and never see them.

As well as you shouldn't. Those episodes were never supposed to be part of the show to begin with, and frankly, the story plays so much better without them, particularly where the character dynamics are concerned.
Sep 15, 2017 2:51 PM

Dec 2015
[..] To write;

5/5

Almost perfect children adventure, many good elements keeping it above other such shows. Both a celebration of GAINAX peoples taste and a proper rendition of ideas from Vernes.
Stupid expansion episodes.

Score: 8/10

edit:
Aarond44 said:
I thought gargoyle was beaten mind of unceremoniously which was weird

I don't understand your sentence, what do you mean?

He was like a father figure to a 4 year old girl and then became her love interest.

I read this here & there on this website but what makes peoples here believe she was seeing him as a father? (for me, it was nothing else than Samson being "funny" enough for a little girl to "befriend" him like a "big brother". The closest persons to her age looked more like parental figures. )
Also, written like this, it sounds like the guy just trained a child to make her his wife (à la Gigi). By the way, Nemo who "saw Electra as his own daughter" might have make her pregnant.
I was hoping he would raise her.

What lead you to hope for this? (I never really saw such a strong affection developing through the series.

marrying her is just... so gross.

I guess no wedding would have been even more gross then. XD
More seriously, since he didn't raise her, where is the problem?

@CodeBlazeFate Did Samson appear to you like a father gifure over the course of the series?
Rei_IIIJun 9, 2019 7:00 AM
Oct 3, 2017 7:33 PM
Aug 2017
sauveterre said:
Jean/Nadia is cute and there's nothing wrong with Eiko/Ikolina. Sanson/Marie and Electra/Nemo are both fucking weird though. I'll just pretend they didn't happen like all the stupid fillers.

I feel the exact same way. It was out of nowhere too. There was probably meddling involved like the filler arcs, that created that crap. So much momentum & characterization was torn apart during the filler & now the epilogue portions of this show. It's not something I could recommend because of all the hoop jumping you have to do just to enjoy the show. Hopefully, they redo this show someday so we can all enjoy its true potential.

Anyways, besides the crap portions mentioned above the finale was pretty great.
Dec 30, 2017 6:18 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Just finished my rewatch of this series and I'm keeping the grade I gave it originally. The island/Africa arcs even when one skips them cannot be ignored completely and take it down a notch.
Having said that, it's still one of the finest adventure/fantasy/science fiction combos in anime, with memorable episodes and some great characters. I for one love and will probably rewatch with my kids one day.

Edit. Yeah Sanson/Marie is weird as heck but Electra/Nemo was coming. Nemo raised her it's true, but their relationship was never a real daughter/father one and once Electra revealed that she saw him as a man and almost killed him, well they only had one way to go if they were going to be together. Would have been interesting to see Nadia's reaction to having a little brother.

Speaking of which, somehow seeing Nadia as a housewife rubbed me the wrong way. I just don't see a fesity, fiercely independent young woman like her just settling down and living the conventional married life that was portrayed in the epilogue.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 23, 2018 6:14 PM

May 2012
A wonderful and true ending of this fantastic series. Nemo's death was a proper death for such a warrior like him! Really loved all bits of this last episode and boy was that last part quite some nice future insight... I just hope that it won't clash with the sequel movie? Probably will I guess?

Still I got to say I found this anime very enjoyable, keeping with the true story arcs of this series rather than the pointless and endless long ones like the island and Africa ones... with that said as well we can't really forget those so it's a bit of a shame to see such a great series as a whole be pretty much destroyed by some really really bad episodes... well I can't say I wasn't warned but heck was I disappointed for not listening this time!

In general quite loved the whole series as is though, and what I didn't expect that could happen actually did with Gainax turning the epicness switch on again after all that shit and actually serving us a proper ending for this series.

But like said I do wonder what the movie "sequel" actually will provide though.
Aug 22, 2018 8:17 AM

Jun 2015
Even skipping the fillers this flows too unevenly and drags out quite noticeably. Revelations losing impact, as well as Gargoyle's actions after firing the 50th kind of weapon he has developed don't seem to matter that much at all.

A pity because nice ideas were scattered throughout the whole series.

Also the Sanson-Marie episode was probably one of my favorite ones from the series, not sure how to feel about making them a couple. Kinda gratuitous.
Dec 13, 2018 3:49 PM

Mar 2014
xyphoidosiris said:
And during those years you can't call Samson a pedophile. Why? 'Coz that word don't exist yet back then. The word "pedophile" was formed in 1905.

I guess they must've invented the word "pedophile" specifically to describe Sanson, then, hehe. That's my head canon. ;P
::End of Transmission::

Feb 24, 2019 12:29 PM

Jan 2013
what a ride & ending. i'm surprised sanson didn't get chris hansened away tho. i though he would be more of a fatherly figure till the end for marie but i'm not complaining. guess that's just how italian maffia works ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Jun 8, 2019 1:26 PM
Jun 2019
Overall a good series, thought gargoyle was beaten kind of unceremoniously which was weird, but overall skipping most of the filler it was solid. HOLY FUCK I can’t get over Sanson and Marie though. That was just waaaayyyy too weird. I didn’t even really like elektra and Nemo, but at least she was a teenager when they met and she was pregnant at like 27. Marie and sanson met when she was FOUR. He was like a father figure to a girl who literally wasn’t even in kindergarten yet and then became her love interest. I was hoping he like raised her and helped Nadia and jean take care of her but marrying her. That’s just... so gross man. Ik it was late 1800s or whatever but like, that’s still fucking creepy to raise the girl you end up marrying like a father then bone her, regardless of time period. Sorry for this long rant but god damn that revelation really just made my skin crawl and almost ruined the finale for me. Just too gross man
Aarond44Nov 2, 2020 5:28 PM
Jun 9, 2019 7:05 AM

Apr 2016
Rei366 said:
[..] To write;

5/5

Almost perfect children adventure, many good elements keeping it above other such shows. Both a celebration of GAINAX peoples taste and a proper rendition of ideas from Vernes.

edit:
Aarond44 said:

He was like a father figure to a 4 year old girl and then became her love interest.

I read this here & there on this website but what makes peoples here believe she was seeing him as a father? (for me, it was nothing else than Samson being "funny" enough for a little girl to "befriend" him like a "big brother". The closest persons to her age looked more like parental figures. )
Also, written like this, it sounds like the guy just trained a child to make her his wife (à la Gigi). By the way, Nemo who "saw Electra as his own daughter" might have make her pregnant.

What lead you to hope for this? (I never really saw such a strong affection developing through the series.

@CodeBlazeFate Did Samson appear to you like a father gifure over the course of the series?
In a way, yea. He was easily one of the best characters of the show, even when it stopped being good over halfway through. Still, that couple thing...yikes.
Jun 9, 2019 8:40 AM
Jun 2019
Rei366 said:
[..] To write;

5/5

edit:
Aarond44 said:

So on the first one I meant he was beaten kind of unceremoniously, ie there had been a big epic confrontation with the main characters and he seemed to be winning, then out of fucking nowhere the nautilus shows up and blasts him to hell. It was a total deus ex machina (how did that giant space ship even maneuver through red Noah anyway?) and it’s weird to kill off the main antagonist (yeah Ik technically the blue water killed him, but he was already gonna die from those injuries imo) in such a way.

On the Marie stuff, I mean yikes man. He was constantly protecting her and when he had to do dangerous stuff he would ask other characters to make sure they look after her well while he’s gone and in case he doesn’t make it back. Those are generally very paternal tendencies, and if they’re interpreted as more romantic loving tendencies then that’s just a worse level of gross cuz she’s 4 years old, and if I have to explain why that’s bad then I don’t know what to tell you chief. I’m not saying he trained her to be his bride, but he’s known her since she was preschool aged and watched her grow up basically all her life while being more than old enough to be her dad, then married her while she’s still a teen that’s just weird for both of them, makes sanson look kinda pedo and Marie look Oedipal(or the female equivalent).

Don’t get me wrong I loved both characters, and yeah if they didn’t get married it’d be worse that she was pregnant (though I sustain that a 40 yo man marrying a 15 yo girl is real weird and gross. Have you met most 15 year old people? They are very much not adults yet regardless of gender) but that pairing is just too weird for me. Not trying to ruin it if you think its fine, I mean if this doesn’t convince you then I guess you just have some kind of different cultural or personal values and we’ll agree to disagree, but this relationship seems borderline predatory and definitely was a strange narrative choice on anno’s part, as it really didn’t have much in the way of relationship development (at least in the romantic sense) during the run of the show
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 29 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

18 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 12, 11:01 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.