Forum Settings
Forums

Panelling, SFX, and inking -- general discussion

New
Apr 3, 2014 11:24 PM

Mar 2009
I've seen a lot of topics on general art styles, writing, etc., but no one really brings up the topic of the little details that manga authors need to think about when outlining and touching up their works. Despite that, the details can really bring a special flair to manga and funnel our attention to the proper elements of the chapter. Some things to consider:

Panelling: size to emphasize importance, shapes, stuff sticking outside of panels, density, flow
SFX: shape of the words and how it complements the pictures, style of writing used
Inking and tones: different levels of greyscale vs. just black and white, types of tones used for texture, thickness and dynamics of lines

Do you guys have a particular author whose styles for panelling, SFX, and inking that you like? I'm a fan of the techniques used on The Stratocracy of Altair (e.g. http://mangafox.me/manga/shoukoku_no_altair/v08/c037/3.html) and +Anima (e.g. http://mangafox.me/manga/anima/v08/c042/20.html). Or does it not matter to you at all?
Apr 28, 2014 10:31 AM

May 2013
I didn't usually pay much attention to those. But I found Kuroko no Basket's panelling was kind of bad. They were all just the square ones (like omake). I guess I could only notice the bad one. I didn't found anything really good or I really liked. Or maybe all I read was just that good so the supposed-to-be-good became normal to me.

More topics from this board

» 8 Manga to Get to Know You

spaceslut - Mar 12, 2023

37 by PlasticRobot »»
39 minutes ago

» Do you guys read manga online or physically? ( 1 2 )

LemonXChio - Oct 27, 2023

66 by Oofmastre9000 »»
3 hours ago

» Have an amazing art in manga but not in anime

kirA_-_ - Apr 15

8 by YeeYeeAss »»
3 hours ago

Sticky: » 2024 Manga Reading Challenge - Sign Up ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

MRC_mod - Jan 18

376 by HapHazrD »»
12 hours ago

Poll: » Manga or Light Novels: Which do you prefer?

Digibutter64 - Jan 1, 2020

29 by Jutrio »»
Yesterday, 10:43 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.