Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 6:59 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Episode 35 was only the start of a spectacular finale to come. This next episode, in addition to the remaining three, is even better. Captain Nemo and his crew turn out to be alive, and are ready to fight back against Gargoyle using their supercharged battleship, New Nautilus. It is very gratifying and thrilling to see Nemo's new machine electron laser turrets cripple one of Gargoyle's battleships. The animation is incredible, particularly the nuclear explosions and the stunning attention to detail in the New Nautilus as well as Nadia's homeland of Tartessos. The only drawback is that the good stuff returns for only five episodes--had "Nadia" maintained this consistent quality of entertainment throughout, it would have been a far more satisfying ending.
Sep 7, 2012 3:25 PM

Apr 2012
"Sarabada, Nemokun." Ice cold!

A true grand episode. It's good to see the crew back alive and kicking (neoatlan buttocks). Nemo is still so hardcore. And this mech action, so precise and fluid *overjoyment*
Sep 24, 2012 8:57 PM
Jan 2008
EratiK said:
"Sarabada, Nemokun." Ice cold!

A true grand episode. It's good to see the crew back alive and kicking (neoatlan buttocks). Nemo is still so hardcore. And this mech action, so precise and fluid *overjoyment*

Too bad only three episodes remained. I felt this five part finale should have been extended.
Dec 28, 2013 9:59 AM

Jun 2010
Wow, with the battleship-style turrets on the New Nautilus, Electra's space-catsuit, and Nemo's long coat and lovely locks, this episode is channeling Captain Harlock pretty hard.

Electra's personality must has changed a lot off-screen since she doesn't want Nemo to sacrifice Nadia to beat Gargoyle, but I guess she never really had very much to begin with, so whatever.
Mar 4, 2014 3:30 PM

Mar 2012
yep a great episode - and it is really obvious just how much Anno loves Harlock and Yamato, everything, direction, pacing even the music (big buildup then a kindof 'release' music as finally launches). The whole 'we can't start the engines' scene was classic Yamato tension building also, there was even a definitely intended homage to the many dialled engine/computer rooms in all of Matsumoto's ships during it.

I really like how blatantly futuristic the ship was too, as compared to the very Jules Verne styled mecha we saw in the start of the series. There were even echos of Gunbuster at times.

Overall - as a massive fan of all things Harlock/GE999/Yamato, Gunbuster and Evangelion, I verily enjoyed this. As a slight aside, probably my favourite part of Evangelion Rebuild 3 was pretty much the very same hommage - the launch sequence :).
Apr 11, 2014 2:42 AM

Apr 2012
Yep, it's Gainax alright.

Loving the Electra makeover.
May 6, 2014 1:15 PM

May 2008
Millions times better then that low budget arc!
Jan 20, 2016 7:12 PM

Nov 2011
Nadia: I have the power to destroy the world.

YET THE BITCH CAN'T EVEN DESTROY A SHIP OR TWO. SHE DIDN'T EVEN THINK OF USING THE BLUE WATER BACK IN THE ISLAND ARC TO OPEN THE GODDAMN CANS

FUK!!!!!!!!!!

Jean even showed it RIGHT IN FRONT OF HER EYES back in the Nautilus arc that it could clearly scratch the slab of space metal.

da hoe's got some cognitive disorder
Feb 19, 2016 12:52 AM

Feb 2008
Just how much time passed since episode 22 for Nemo's hair to grow so long?

"Your sight, my delight. Will you marry me?"
Aug 23, 2016 10:45 PM

Jun 2016
Nemo looks so badass now oh my godd.
Oct 16, 2016 7:53 PM

Jan 2010
I mean to say this in previous episodes, but now seems to be the appropriate time.

It sure is Captain Harlock in here.
Sep 10, 2017 8:18 AM

Dec 2015
The new music was nice. But more importantly...
This Excelion/New Nautilus looks like a cross-over between the Uchû Senkan Yamato and Gunbuster's Excelion (not to mention almost identical scenes). And Nemo (and his people) 's new look seems to come straight out of an Harlock anime. Perfect recipe.

5/5 A finale divided in so many episodes? Great!

@RafaelDeJongh Skipping the episodes would have you asking yourself a lot of questions like "why are they here", "how can this be", "why is the expedition guy back", "how did they end up with Gladys gang" and so on. (als, you would have missed the incredible feats of animation those episodes provided, like the incomplete cells, bad lenses etc)
Rei_IIIMay 24, 2018 12:00 PM
Oct 20, 2017 11:37 PM

May 2016
Uh, wow. I am willing to bet that the "Secret of Blue Water" ended up being of a greater scope than anyone here imagined.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Dec 22, 2017 4:43 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
So much goodness here. Homages to Harlock and Yamato, echoes of Gunbuster and a taste of things to come with Evangelion.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

May 23, 2018 3:46 PM

May 2012
Holy moly and here I thought Gainax couldn't pull it through to the end, shit I was mistaken... Gainax did it again with a mind blowing plot twist, one which I personally did not expect whilst secretly hoping for!

And man is old Gainax good with animating explosions! Boy such greatness in this episode and it really gives me a great Uchuu Senkan Yamato/Captain Harlock vibe as well as that true Gainax oldness!

Real great and I do wonder now that they have Nemo's Blue Water what they'll do with it! But I'm sure with that Uchuu Senkan they're not going to leave it at that!

Looking forwards to see what comes next and well for once I should've listened to skipping episodes... damn without those horrible ones this series would be golden!
Dec 13, 2018 10:51 AM

Mar 2014
Pretty strange that they made a new opening for the final four episodes, but I suppose it makes sense considering the return of Nemo and the crew of the Nautalis.
::End of Transmission::

Sep 9, 2019 12:10 PM

Aug 2017
The legendary Exelion? I sense Gunbuster here!
Also, that omage to Yamato omg
Here's a side-by-side comparison
https://youtu.be/qxJRD-ESQd8
Haven't seen the show yet, but all the Gainax omages to it made me want to.

Btw it looks like that flying sausage ship was different from Exelion. So they have a fleet of 2 ships, eh?
St0rmbladeSep 9, 2019 12:14 PM
May 3, 2020 1:25 AM

Jan 2014
We open to reveal the Neo Atlantis airships have arrived waiting for our heroes and I am not gonna lie for the first few minutes I was having some flashbacks to those episodes stricken from memory with those comedic bits glad they did not last that long at least >.< I did like Nadia surrendering herself to save her friends even though there was no way Gargoyle would keep his promise but turns out he gave them a running start to lure out Nemo and the remnants of his crew who he suspected were within the ruins. Which they are!

Electra greets them in her new style she wears that hairstyle and spacesuit well X3 and it seems she has a new lease on life in the time the crew has been away from our heroes and it seems Nemo's words on the value of life were able to reach her and gave her a renewed purpose so that is great to see ^-^ Speaking of Nemo his new long haired more dark look is badass to say the least he is finale ready! Plus with him being back we get nice reactions from Grandis X3 from her shouting to her affectionate reactions just fantastic ^-^

Seems Nemo and his crew stand a much better fighting chance at stopping Neo Atlantis with their new ship and even though Nemo tried to harden his heart and make a personal sacrifice to save the world the words of our heroes broke that down and he could not bring himself to kill his daughter and thus, gives up his Blue Water and Neo is more powerful then they anticipated! Looks like it will be up to Nadia to overcome her fear of the power her Blue Water yields and use it to protect her loved ones! This shaping up to be quite the conclusion looking forward to how it all culminates at the end :D

Aug 17, 2020 12:28 PM

Apr 2011
ZetaZaku said:
Just how much time passed since episode 22 for Nemo's hair to grow so long?

I'm wondering the same thing! Only a few episodes ago, Hanson said they were stuck on the island for 4 months, and they traveled to Africa just after that. Then, stayed over a week more or less? Well, they didn't stay much time before going to Tartessos.

I guess the only explanation is that Grandis, Sanson & Hanson were lost in the sea for weeks before finding the new island, which means that Jean. Nadia, Marie, and King were in the Lincoln Island for more than 4 months, maybe 5... and that the trip they did from the island to africa took them months too.

Even then, 6-8 months doesn't seem like enough time for Nemo to get his hair growth like that. xD
That lenght takes years.
Hablo español.
Feb 4, 2021 2:32 PM

Feb 2012
Gunbuster references in the ship names ''Exelion'' and ''Eltreum''.

A spaceship using a rusty shipwreck as a disguise, obvious Yamato reference.

I realize now that in Otaku no Video (which I watched over 8 years ago), Yuri Satou was cosplaying Electra when they were on the Otakuland spaceship's bridge (which was based on the Yamato's bridge). Her new uniform looks like a prototype for Evangelion's plugsuits.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Sep 22, 2021 1:55 AM
Sep 2015
This was a boring episode imo.

You can really see that Anno likes mecha and flashy explosions.
Jun 22, 2022 11:07 AM

Feb 2021
Everyone's just perfectly fine again. Ship is back, Captain isn't shot, and no betrayals. Back to where it was in episode 22. Seriously?

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.