Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (14) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 »
Oct 1, 2018 4:31 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
A fitting but slightly underwhelmingfinale to a very scintillating and fascinating show! P.A Works, thanks for all the glorious and mesmerising Art/Animation and soothing Sound Department! It truly just fit the theme of this show exquisitely and for sure made this a unique and worthwhile experience to remember for a long time coming despite its shortcomings.

First half of this finale episode was emotional and just the story and moment of realisation of the Sea God made it a lot more impactful. Miuna’s and Manaka’s clash of feelings and just the resolution of that was pretty well done, I must say. Finally at long last, however, Hikari x Manaka has sailed so I’m very satisfied with that. I would have liked to see a bit more romance in this regard but that would inevitably ruin the mood of the show, I guess so no biggies. As for the other couples, Tsumugu x Chisaki has finally sailed too. I’m not a big fan of Chisaki nor Tsumugu but the buildup to the relationship imo was done even worse, again though I feel bad for Kaname. Speaking of Kaname, I was a little disappointed that the show didn’t make any sort of implications on whether Kaname x Sayu was on course or not. I, for sure, thought we had at least get a few shots confirming that but oh well. All the Shioshishio people coming to the surface to rejuvenate with the people of the Surface was nice to see, and that shows that the efforts of the main cast of characters really did change things on such a level. Tsumugu off to College and possibly Chisaki leaving their house, made things a little saddening for Tsumugu’s grandfather but that’s just how life is. I’m glad that the boy who had a crush on Miuna still hasn’t given up, I hope she can grown to love someone else other than Hikari now.
All in all, a pretty good finale despite a lot of things thrown at us in the first half which kind of overdid it, or at least in my opinion! An issue I had with the show almost throughout also was that some background details, not in the animation but more to the story, just felt like they were untouched. Like how’d Tsumugu manage to get all the past classmates and all the people of the village to agree to conducting yet another Ohfuneki festival even when the last occasion ended on a totally bad note with casualties and damages. Another that comes to mind is how casually Hikari’s father responded to Hikari’s worries of the old man who is yet to wake up from Hibernation; surely, there’s got to be something other than just because he’s a worry wart or like he doesn’t want to wake up yet, I thought you can’t control when you wake up from Hibernation and whatnot, so this was a little baffling of sorts too. By the way, is there not supposed to be any wild sea monster or sharks in the sea or is Uroko-sama’s protection covers that bit too? I really wished we would get an explanation on this xD. Also, where are all the Students that we saw for a second when Miuna infiltrated Hikari’s old junior school. Well, this are just a few of a such drawbacks, it felt as though the last few episodes were trying to emulsify everything with stunning visuals(and boy they were stunning!, but that’s not issue here) assuming that we will sort out the little details here and there. Sadly, for me anyway, it didn’t.

As for the whole show in general, the Storyline/Plot Development remained satisfying and just the concept of this show was intriguing but sadly it didn’t quite live up to it fully. The sudden change in direction from the second cour was haphazardly done and the tone quickly changed making the middle episodes a little underwhelming than the rest of the series. Characterization/Character Development, now this was seriously explored in depth throughout the course of the show(as expected of a Drama heavy show). Characters such as Hikari, Manaka, Chisaki, Miuna and a few others got immense amount of screen time and that was nice. All the possible relationships and canon relationships was briefed through many character’s point of views and whatnot, so that made it a lot more realistic and real of sorts. It was just the sudden change in this field out of the blue from one character to the other, especially during the middle episodes where an episode or two was fully spent on Miuna’s perspective and then all of a sudden it changed to Sayu’s, that sometimes set me off. A generic fault here too was that the complexity of the Characters sometimes made it hard to come in terms with their actions. Hikari’s sudden outbursts of emotions, Tsumugu’s sudden change with Chisaki’s relationship(literally out of the blue, he was pressuring her to admit that he’s the one she likes, although little to no Development in that regard was explored at the time), Chisaki’s overused to change/not to change mystery, the Sea God’s pettiness and jealousy of sorts(it felt as though the Sea God was a teenager which is shocking!). Moreover and most importantly, the spider web of relationships of one character liking the other and that character liking yet another and so on just got to the point of absurdity and unrealistic. Do notice how I outlined both the realistic and unrelalistic feature of this Department, and they do make it a little paradoxical and ironic. Nevertheless, the Chemistry between the Character until the very end was just brilliant! Teensy romance, with talks about change and not change and the sort, was a little overdone too, imo. Art/Animation and the Sound Department were just glorious throughout and I just can’t put into words but it was seriously commendable and a feasty treat! I hope the new PA Works that is soon to come this Fall receives at least close to this much care from the Studio. It’s been a really fun watch too, so not much complaints overall.

- Storyline/Plot Development: 7/10
- Characterization/Character Development: 7.3/10
- Sound Department: 9/10
- Art/Animation: 10/10
- Personal Enjoyment: 9.5/10

-> Overall: A Solid 8.3-8.4/10 or so. I really wish this show was 23-24 Episodes instead since the excessive drama sorrounding certain characters would have bottled down. Nevertheless, I’m awarding this show a 9/10 because it really deserves all the credit! As such, I’m also always down to recommend this show to everyone!
_MushiRock11_Oct 4, 2018 7:10 AM
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jan 4, 2019 3:16 PM

Oct 2010
Rewatched it. I still feel like the open was more open-ended than people seem to think. One line in the final part specifically stuck out to me this time. Hikari admitted that it's okay if things change. This is contrary to what he said literally the entire show until now. Basically until he realized Miuna had been there for him the whole time. So to me He basically realized he has feelings for Miuna, at that point. But then they don't give them any more time to push that story (it's already at episode 26, after all) so they had Manaka not actually say anything and there's no kiss. It's intentionally done to not give concrete answers. I still love it. And after 5 years and finally wathcing it again, it's confirmed it's place as my favorite anime since it first aired.

Most importantly, Miuna is still the "best girl" in all of anime, even 5 years later. Seriousy, I've never seen any other girl sacrifice herself (physically by accident but also emotionally) to make the person she loves happy. She was never once selfish at all. That's also her weakness, I guess.
Jan 5, 2019 11:03 PM
Jun 2016
such an amazing ending.....been a while since i watched something like this
such a unique anime..im gonna miss it
Mar 6, 2019 4:19 AM

Oct 2015
SO Manaka and Hikari wont date even though they love each, what kind of farce was this? Personally for me Chisaki's slut tendencies and Hikari's obnoxious personality killed the show for me. I did not see what was so lovable about him. This was a lame overrated anime and dont see the big deal was about. This shit sucked and i hated every minute of it.

I regret watching it or even planning to watch it. The animation was great, the setting was very cool but the characters and development were badly done. The plot was also shit. I felt bad for Kaname though, he was my favorite along with the sea God's scale.

4/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Apr 9, 2019 11:12 PM
Feb 2019
Someone talked about Kaname? 💔
Apr 10, 2019 7:32 PM
Apr 2019
The ending is so bad.... 1-25 eps is lit, kinna was hoping for a love failure for everyone n left us with the feeling
Apr 17, 2019 7:44 AM

May 2016
Such a long ride it was, but it definitely send it message to me 8/10
Feel bad for Miuna.
Apr 17, 2019 4:59 PM

Aug 2017
Didn't like. Weak plot and boring show. 3 or 4/10.
Aug 17, 2019 10:58 AM

Apr 2013
How to avoid fbi
Hibernate
wake up
she is LEGAL!
Character growth:
Hikari, annoying as always.
Manaka, Zombile Land Saga Main Character?
Tsumugu, The only normal one.
Kaname, Sayu, Miuna, the ones that got hurt more than me while watching this.
Chisaki: got decent tights
--
This one was hell of a roller coaster of sensless romance, the show had potential to be a 7/10 but then the romance at the end was just there with no point.
Oct 19, 2019 9:50 PM

Sep 2016
Welp, not the ending I hoped, but they didn't leave out anything, at least.

I really liked Miuna's character (I can relate a lot), so seeing her getting the shortest end of the stick hurt me a bit, I hope she will fully move on...with anyone but that dude with the bicycle who confessed to her, screw that guy. He's basically the generic dense protagonist of a harem anime, so he just need to be gone xD.

Tsumugu x Chisaki best ship for sure, seeing their relationship during the story was really heartwarming, how they live together and move around with ease around each other, and both of them are basically reading each other's hearts, like they're married since forever. I hope university won't keep them separated too much. Happy to see the ship sail.

Manaka x Hikari...weird, I don't particularly like any of the two characters, mainly for their bratty attitudes, also, well, I would've preferred Miuna x Hikari, tbh Manaka to me seems quite unfit to be coupled with anyone really, except maybe with Tsumugu, but timeskip deemed him husband material for Chisaki, so nope.
On second thought...there is...AKIRA! Lmao.

Kaname x Sayu, YES. Best underrated ship. The train confession scene made me revalue him (I didn't like his attitude where he was supposed to be the most mature of them all but acted like a kid instead), so he really deserves a second chance. Sayu go get him.

And let's not forget about other characters, of course.

Akari is a good mom, a good sister and a good person, I'm glad she fought for herself and that everyone cheered for her. Goddamnit if they dared not to help her. Hikari did a good job here.

Both Oji-chans were good oji-chans.
All friends were good friends, although some at the start behaved like bullies...but it was all because of misunderstanding, fortunately.

Uroko-sama best comic relief of the show. He made everyone hate him at the start and love him at the end. What a prankster.

9/10
I reserve myself to not give 10/10 to this because the ending, while not open, wasn't as closed as I wanted. Also Hikari x Manaka didn't sail completely, and Miuna got left halfway through her moving on.
This almost asks for an OAV, lol.

For a moment I got excited seeing the manga finished 2 years after, but apparently both manga and anime got worked on by the author, because they finished basically in the same way. Me sad...-ish

P.S. I lol'd so hard at the 2nd highest ranked review. That guy didn't get a thing. And 686 others too, apparently, rofl.
bruh
Oct 20, 2019 7:59 PM

Oct 2013
for me it's all ending in episode 25... i'm glad that Miuna is alive and well. But if Miuna stays in the sea, it would be a great tho
"If you trip while running down a hallway, you will got nosebleed. If you trip in life, you cry" Minori Kushieda

"This world is merciless, and it's also beautiful" Mikasa Ackerman

"A lesson without pain is meaningless" Edward Elric
Nov 29, 2019 1:33 AM

Feb 2018
Give me kiss ending xD....
Mar 31, 2020 10:50 AM
Jan 2020
redd530 said:
It's weird that Miuna was the one the Sea God tried to take. She almost felt like the main heroine. Hikari was saving her out of guilt. Manaka should be the one in the Sea God's grip. Manaka would've been more appropriate since it'll be all love and sh*t.

So in the end, these happened:

- Hikari x Manaka
- Chisaki x Tsumugu

Sayu and Kaname didn't happen.
Miuna is all alone, but the guy who confessed to her still hasn't given up.

Sayu and Kaname did happen but not in the ending.
Mar 31, 2020 10:59 AM
Jan 2020
I shipped Chisaki× Tsumugu. Loved that ship. I don't get why people ship Tsumugu with Manaka because their relationship is strictly platonic or just admiration. Chisaki and Tsumugu though unexpected is the best couple in the entire series.
It was hinted from the start though that Tsumugu might have feelings for Chisaki ( which he very surely does! And which have been revealed!) Like when he opens up to her about his family and tries to console her about her crush on Hikari.
Manaka and Tsumugu won't make a good couple . Sure, from outside if we all see they make the cliche pairing of the "aloof guy who suddenly take interest in a very happy-go-lucky girl" but if we indulge deeper in their characters they have more of a brother-sister relationship in which two people of different dimensions admire one another.
May 29, 2020 12:19 AM
Dec 2012
Manaka ?
I heard "Monica" the whole anime until Akira wrote that letter. Then I understood that Akira was the only one that pronounces well her name
Jun 14, 2020 3:56 AM

May 2013
_MushiRock11_ said:

You somehow managed to describe every single annoyance, word-for-word, I had with the show xD

Nevertheless, it was a good ride. Good OST as well.
Truly a Divine Comedy
Jun 14, 2020 4:59 AM
孔真・コウマコト

Jun 2017
@KreatorX Oh, is that so? That's quite awesome. It's been a while since I posted that but it's good to know that you found it relatable, and thanks for letting me know too.

I've brought it down to a 8 now, though. I used to give away the higher rating for shows with .4 but I recently changed it to .5 as per normal mathematics, I suppose.
#Anime4Life be my Life Motto! #PrayForKyoAni

Jul 14, 2020 11:52 PM

Sep 2018
Talk about blue balling your audience. Annoying when they do this, great lead up to eventual relationships and confessions, then BAM, anime is over lol

Very enjoyable though, 9/10 for me. Not a massive fan of melodrama, but I didn't get annoyed with it, so it mustn't have been that bad.
Aug 2, 2020 9:58 PM
May 2020
LittleStar said:
Touma94 said:
Open ending, no couples just hints.

What?
Hikari/Manaka and Tsumugu/Chisaki are canon.
only Kaname/Saya aren't really canon.

I didn't like Sayu for Kaname either
Aug 2, 2020 10:27 PM
May 2020
VanezzaJoongz said:

Kaname's situation/feelings completely broke my heart😭 Although he's my favorite character and would've been ECSTATIC if he ended up with Chisaki, ChisakixTsumugu are cute😭 Plus the five years changed so much within Chisaki. I personally don't like Sayu for Kaname. I just wish Kaname hadn't felt as an outsider or lonely. I want him to be happy.
Aug 3, 2020 5:58 PM
Feb 2019
KyungsooCheeks said:
VanezzaJoongz said:

Kaname's situation/feelings completely broke my heart😭 Although he's my favorite character and would've been ECSTATIC if he ended up with Chisaki, ChisakixTsumugu are cute😭 Plus the five years changed so much within Chisaki. I personally don't like Sayu for Kaname. I just wish Kaname hadn't felt as an outsider or lonely. I want him to be happy.
Yeah. I'm more heartbroken about Kaname, though he has friends, he looks really lonely, despite not really trying to look like one.
Aug 5, 2020 12:48 PM
May 2020
VanezzaJoongz said:
KyungsooCheeks said:

Yeah. I'm more heartbroken about Kaname, though he has friends, he looks really lonely, despite not really trying to look like one.

I agree, it’s like he’s part of 4 but at the same time he really isn’t UGH😭😭
Aug 11, 2020 3:40 PM

Apr 2020
Best part about the ending the ChisakixTsumugu ship. Chisaki underwent the most character development imo. I'm glad she found happiness in the end.
Sep 20, 2020 7:26 AM
Jul 2018
This anime ending annoyed me because Manaka and Hikari were talking about the flag, not about LOVE. I ship Manaka with Hikari SOO BADD!!!! I regretted watching this anime but it was amazing, actually, just plain. NO, it’s amazing! LOL
Sep 29, 2020 11:43 AM

Jan 2010
If sea and land folk falling in love is forbidden, then why are they allowed to go to school together? Also, the water physics in this anime make no sense to me. When they're underwater, I can't tell if they're really underwater or are in some sort of air bubble, and the fish and people are just swimming in some strange "air." I don't understand how characters move around, how characters can have drinks in cups, how characters cry, or how they can talk and breathe underwater.

Regardless, I appreciate Nagi no Asukara's approach to time, regarding the changing world and people. Beginning with the time skip, it felt the show turned into something completely different. It was once a show about daily school life, tensions between humans and seafolk, and a clumsy love polygon. Afterwards, it turned into a story about Hikari adjusting to a world that leapt far ahead of him, as well as a world trying to adjust to Hikari's presence. The love polygon also evolved, but the new character dynamics made it feel more interesting compared to the first half. The story feels kind of like Urashima Tarou with the undersea Dragon Palace and the time skip.

I just wish this sentiment continued throughout the rest of the show, as it seriously got bogged down by its ever-evolving love polygon. It's a complicated situation where loving one person results in hurting someone else, so it seemed like there couldn't really ever be a situation where everyone could be happy. As a result, Nagi no Asukara ended up being a show of continuous indecision, which was made worse by the Sea God's possessiveness and moodiness. Their relationships weren't even solved by the end. It seemed like only Kaname and Sayu had any semblance of a resolution, while everyone else was left either implied or ambiguous. Because of this, the show's conclusion seemed to only arrive once the Sea God stopped being a jerk, leaving an unsatisfying, unresolved ending.

In all, this show was a real mess, but it wasn't necessarily bad. Nagi no Asukara was just overloaded with a overly complicated romance polygon, a racial tension subplot, an end of the world subplot, pseudo time travel, and undersea lore combined with a jerk of a sea god.
ShockedNov 4, 2020 10:00 PM
Sep 30, 2020 12:12 PM
Mar 2013
Good thing it was mostly a happy ending, they didn't go too far with the pairings but that's fine considering it hasn't been that long for most characters, was somewhat spoiled on the mid series twist and expected a sad finale

A little bummed for Miuna, I always liked her and she became my favourite character after time skip but at least she gave it all and it ended with her smiling again, it's been hinted she has a chance with that other boy but I'm kinda glad it didn't happen so fast cause that would've felt forced and left a bad taste after hoping for Hikari x Miuna for so long, it takes time for people to get over it and develop new feelings, I really dislike abrupt consolation awards for characters I've cheering for

I don't really care for Tsumugu, used to empathize with Chisaki but now neutral, Kaname used to bug me but I'm glad he changed for the better and got a kinda happy ending, Akira definitely has his mom's genes, pretty cute little fella he is
Chigo_SenseiSep 30, 2020 12:16 PM
Jan 2, 2021 1:03 PM

Jun 2017
I am satisfied with the ending. Everyone gets to be happy. Miuna seems to have moved on too. Akira getting ena was over the top however. In the previous cases it was supposedly because of intense emotions that the characters were able to get ena. But this was random. Knowing it was Okada's work, I was afraid that it may be a bittersweet ending but I am happy to be wrong.

I basically went in blind for this series without even reading the synopsis and I am positively surprised with what I got. The drama has been complex with many characters involved but it was totally believable and down to earth. I would give this series an easy 9/10. I might even increase it to 10 depending on how well this stays in my memory.
Apr 25, 2021 10:51 AM

Feb 2019
Not gonna lie, was slightly disappointed by the lack of a more overt ending regarding the pairings, but it was a great series nonetheless!

The first half of the final episode was magical. So the Lady did love the Sea God after all. She loved their life and their children, and she didn't want to lose that. As Miuna said, the Sea God too was a fool. Glad that finally the Sea God and the Lady's feelings have proper closure.

I'm happy that the pairings worked out. Hikari x Manaka, Chisaki x Tsumugu. Kaname x Sayu too I guess. Sad that Miuna was alone at the end of the series...

Really wanted to see more of Hikari x Manaka and Chisaki x Tsumugu. I know it's basically canon and confirmed, but I really wanted to see something solid, something tangible. Especially the former. Felt a bit rushed there after the Sending scene.

I also really wanted to see more Chisaki x Tsumugu. It felt like they were the opposite of Hikari x Manaka. Hikari x Manaka are so full of passion, life, energy. Chisaki x Tsumugu were calmer, more serene, at times their passion was even more prominent but not overt. Wished there was an OVA or something that developed this further!

8.5/10. Did not regret this at all. Second half was as awesome, if not better than the first half. Glad I didn't drop this in the first six episodes.
May 6, 2021 2:26 AM

Jul 2019
They dragged this for so long just to get the ending everyone would've predicted since episode 14

So I guess after every single character had the same storyline ("I love my crush but they don't love me, however someone else loves me but I don't particularly care about them"), I suppose the lesson they decided to go with was "falling in love is never wasted". OK, cool. You didn't need a love hexagon to prove that point but alright.

The second half of this anime butchered it. It was great in the first half. Nothing ever happened in the second half until the end of every episode. Miuna was nowhere near as interesting As Hikari and Manaka to justify becoming a protagonist. She was just a normal girl. Not as basic as Chisaki but still, she didn't need that much screentime just to get rejected.
May 6, 2021 2:34 AM

Jul 2019
ooo333 said:
I'm sure that if many people rewatch Asukara again, they will notice that this anime doesnt start to get good till like episode 19.

It only got interesting (but not good), after episode 13

LOL depends on what you're looking for I guess. But the first arc was fantastic in terms of slice of life school anime. I read many times that the second half is "where it gets good" but the second half was shit to me.

Instead of using the second half to BUILD relationships the entire second half was a limbo of no one getting what they wanted until the end. Every episode was boring until the cliffhanger.

Except for Miuna who only got a life lesson in the end after spending 5 years crushing for the guy she only knew for like 1 month.
Jul 18, 2021 10:31 AM
Jan 2016
I need another one season.👀👀👀 miss these guys..
Nov 24, 2021 4:39 PM

Sep 2014
Manaka telling Miuna she is feeling safe and warm when she holds her, Tsumugu ranting about loving the sea and Chisaki explaining how Hikari is the sea..

We were on the verge of greatness.

Fully automated luxury space communism, but no gay.

Anyway, boring ending for an overly melodramatic show. I only watched this because recommendations linked it to Shinsekai Yori, but that was a lie..
7/10 though animation was great

PS: halfway through I thought "wtf is this did Mari Okada write this?" And lo and behold, she did. Of course..
"This emotion is mine alone.
It is for Madoka alone." - Homura
or how I would descripe Mahou Shoujo Madoka Magica.
Jan 1, 2022 7:40 AM
Aug 2013
Shikkakku said:
Not gonna lie, was slightly disappointed by the lack of a more overt ending regarding the pairings, but it was a great series nonetheless!

The first half of the final episode was magical. So the Lady did love the Sea God after all. She loved their life and their children, and she didn't want to lose that. As Miuna said, the Sea God too was a fool. Glad that finally the Sea God and the Lady's feelings have proper closure.

I'm happy that the pairings worked out. Hikari x Manaka, Chisaki x Tsumugu. Kaname x Sayu too I guess. Sad that Miuna was alone at the end of the series...

Really wanted to see more of Hikari x Manaka and Chisaki x Tsumugu. I know it's basically canon and confirmed, but I really wanted to see something solid, something tangible. Especially the former. Felt a bit rushed there after the Sending scene.

I also really wanted to see more Chisaki x Tsumugu. It felt like they were the opposite of Hikari x Manaka. Hikari x Manaka are so full of passion, life, energy. Chisaki x Tsumugu were calmer, more serene, at times their passion was even more prominent but not overt. Wished there was an OVA or something that developed this further!

8.5/10. Did not regret this at all. Second half was as awesome, if not better than the first half. Glad I didn't drop this in the first six episodes.

I agree that the ending felt a bit rushed about how the couples ended, but is a great anime! I have 2 complains only, they never explained what happened to Kaname´s family and why was he alone,I would love to see more about him, because we know all about the others´s families. Yes, they definitly say KanamexSayu in the end. But I would love to see more about them as well.
Kaname and Chisaki were my fav characters from the show, along with Tsumugu so even tough I´m sad for Kaname when he was rejected, I´m happy that Chisaki and Tsumugu became a couple.

For Miuna, yes, I would love to see her with her classmate, maybe that could be a story for a new anime, it would be amazing. I miss this anime even tough I only watched it last year, I wish it would have a sequel. Not many other animes have stories with humans living under the sea.
Jan 1, 2022 7:48 AM

Feb 2019
seriesdoramas said:
Shikkakku said:

I agree that the ending felt a bit rushed about how the couples ended, but is a great anime! I have 2 complains only, they never explained what happened to Kaname´s family and why was he alone,I would love to see more about him, because we know all about the others´s families. Yes, they definitly say KanamexSayu in the end. But I would love to see more about them as well.
Kaname and Chisaki were my fav characters from the show, along with Tsumugu so even tough I´m sad for Kaname when he was rejected, I´m happy that Chisaki and Tsumugu became a couple.

For Miuna, yes, I would love to see her with her classmate, maybe that could be a story for a new anime, it would be amazing. I miss this anime even tough I only watched it last year, I wish it would have a sequel. Not many other animes have stories with humans living under the sea.

Yeah, now that you mention it I'm not really sure about Kaname's background. It's like he's got no family. I wonder whether he does have a family and we just didn't see it in the anime?

I too hope for a sequel or a short continuation. But that's almost definitely never happening :(
Jan 1, 2022 8:14 PM
Aug 2013
Shikkakku said:
Shikkakku said:

Yeah, now that you mention it I'm not really sure about Kaname's background. It's like he's got no family. I wonder whether he does have a family and we just didn't see it in the anime?

I too hope for a sequel or a short continuation. But that's almost definitely never happening :(

Not really sure, just checked and apparently there is a manga very short. Not sure if someone read it here and can tell if they speak about Kaname´s family, but is strange in the end he said no one was waiting for him,I guess his parents passed away, but I wonder if he was living alone in the sea town or someone was taking care of him. Poor Kaname. At least he and Sayu are together in the end, even tough at first I didn´t like Sayu,they are so cute together.
Jan 29, 2022 12:05 PM

Dec 2019
This was a disappointment, had a solid first couple episodes but lost me midway. Finale wasnt that great either with the timeskip.
Mar 28, 2022 7:54 PM
Apr 2021
Wanted a bit more romance show, But as long as manaka and hikari are together then I’m good. Chi never told kaname anything tho. Wanted more concrete episodes to show stuff and emotion. Good series tho
Jul 3, 2022 10:22 PM

Jan 2021
The ending was kind of weak in my opinion, at least where romance is concerned. Tsumugu x Chisaki is pretty much established, but the biggest couple, that being Hikari x Manaka, was left rather open ended. Sure, they may understand that they love each other, but I wanted to hear it for myself. I was also hoping for a timeskip with Hikari and Manaka together as a family. Oh well, at least Hikari finally got something good in his life, that being his relationship with Manaka

Kaname x Sayu is pretty nice as well.

I feel bad for Miuna, but she seems to have moved on for the most part.

Akira is so adorable too.

The series was great overall, but I did get really frustrated with the characters quite often (looking at you Chisaki), and the ending wasn't so strong. But the show did keep me on my toes, yanking my heart around, and I rarely knew what would happen next. P.A. Works seems to be really good with that.

8/10

Jul 18, 2022 12:44 AM

May 2017
Wow I liked this a lot! I gave it an 8/10, maybe I could change it higher. Characters and story were very intriguing, this was a great drama with a very unique setting and mythos. Compared to other original screenplays/scripts that Mari Okada has worked on, this one was incredibly good, probably Okada's top work 👏
Aug 26, 2022 9:26 PM

Aug 2014
NarutoGuy02 said:
Wanted a bit more romance show, But as long as manaka and hikari are together then I’m good. Chi never told kaname anything tho. Wanted more concrete episodes to show stuff and emotion. Good series tho

Chisaki just gave Kaname the treatment of "I wont tell you anything, and hopefully youll forget about it and never bring it up again"
Sep 20, 2022 5:55 AM
Dec 2019
Personally would've liked something a little bit more definitive for the ending. A tad too open-ended of a conclusion for it to be considering as satisfying as the rest of the anime. With that said, it was an enthralling coming of age story.
Sep 21, 2022 4:27 PM

Sep 2020
Amazing show, I was enthralled from the get-go. Loved the art, especially the underwater scenes, and the ost had some powerful stuff.

I was slightly disappointed with the ending, it was a little too anticlimactic. I didn't care who shipped with who, but I wanted something at least conclusive. Only Kaname and Sayu seemed definitive, which I'm glad for. I wish there was another time jump showing everyone's children.

I also didn't like everybody was still the same:

Chisaki the Wavering
Tsumugu the Silent
Hikari the Hothead
Manaka the Childlike Empress
Kaname the Sidelined

Only Miuna had some real growth and she got shafted.

I also thought it was dumb that they put Manaka on a boat for the Ofunehiki 2 despite the Sea God wanting her. Nobody thought that was a bad idea that could lead to a repeat of the 1st time?

Overall, the series was fantastic and will be missed. Full 10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz
Jan 1, 2023 7:30 AM

Dec 2020
Well wasn't plot wasn't too expected for me. Only like half of my predictions were right. Loved the art and design the most. The world building was also interesting and it looks like at least from what we saw all the half fish people can go back into the sea. I give it a 7.5/10 only cause they are children and acting as such at times which was a lil annoying to me.
Mar 1, 2023 7:11 PM
Jul 2015
1/10 took me 9 years to finish 2014-2023 🤡 I'm only free bcs I'm lazy to open twt & games

9 years

Already predicted I hate the story since EP 2

no wonder I left anime in 2014

I literally watched sentimental anime type I hate around 4

🤡🤡🤡 dark memories switched to variety show

Thanks this show make me realised how much I hate love polygon octagon the story since EP2 talk about loveline fight 🤡🤡🤡

This another reason I hate Fruit Basket ending in manga n no mood to watch the anime bcs why

they keep on making weird pairing ending like wtf was going on its not suitable at all

Chisaki tsumugu miuna & Manaka returned feelings are so weirdddddddddddd

I'm gonna skipped all love polygon from now on give me headache I only watched bcs sea theme & sparkle blue eyes

(Now I want to pluck out Hikari eyes all of their eyes which annoyed me bcs of their characs just like gore thriller anime soon)

What i got stupid = messy loveline octagon

Also god being stupid killed his lover memories & feeling send her naked

End up she also forgot the man commit suicide & love the hot god more

He died & .elt for the nothingness

Poor his girl end up naked on surface 💀💀💀 dumb
senekohanMar 1, 2023 7:27 PM
Mar 18, 2023 4:13 PM
Dec 2013
It was overall lovely. Minus the secondhand cringe, you feel from middle school love 'angles' not triangles as there were more than three. But it's a friendly chill show to watch with nice chill people.
uzairMar 18, 2023 4:18 PM
May 24, 2023 6:04 AM
Apr 2022
Show Rate Meter Guide  - (5 Great _ 4 Good _ 3 Fine _ 2 Not Good _ 1 Bad).(dismal are sometimes needed)
[Story] - 4
[Art/Animation] - 4.5
[Sound/Music] - 3.5
[M-Character] - 4
[S-Character] - 4
[Enjoyment] - 3.5
[Overall] - 3.5

A show filled was emotion suffering and having a hard time getting your feeling across to others, with a sad but sweet ending if that ok with you.
Jun 16, 2023 8:32 PM
Feb 2021
kinda boring and overdramatic. also love circle is so weird. it wasnt horrible tho like my eyes didn't role back into my head but its def forgettable and i wasn't binge watching it, i had to take a year off cuz i kept holding it off.  id give it 6/10, its not really for me but others might enjoy it
Sep 12, 2023 6:49 PM

Dec 2009
Original Notes of 2014:

Sep 26, 2023 8:27 PM

Jan 2022
Finished rewatching. Miuna is the main and best character and that mindset tied both disparate halves together. It would have been a masterpiece if this episode had more concrete confirmation of the pairings. Still, I rate this higher than my initial watch.
Sep 30, 2023 7:05 AM

Jun 2021
Hikari x Manaka - I think it was already obvious from the start. Despite showing us it was one-sided at first.
Tsumugu x Chisaki - This came unexpectedly. I thought Tsumugu wouldn't be in love with anyone while Chisaki would go for Kaname.
Kaname x Sayu - In ep 24, I could see Kaname was ready to move on and chose to give Sayu a chance.
Miuna got the short end of the stick but at least she got the most character development.

Love is so complicated in this show xD. The finale didn't give a proper conclusion. But yeah, the message was there. Still a nice drama-filled romance for me. Of course, the best thing in this show was the beautiful animation/visuals plus the calming soundtrack played in the background. The ena thing was cool.
Pages (14) « First ... « 11 12 [13] 14 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Oct 3, 2013

385 by Wishimog »»
Feb 18, 10:10 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 25 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 27, 2014

353 by trabeus1 »»
Jan 18, 5:58 AM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 20, 2014

431 by Redcher »»
Sep 30, 2023 5:48 AM

» Your emotions throughout?

sorames - Jun 8, 2023

12 by mo_lave »»
Sep 26, 2023 8:10 PM

Poll: » Nagi no Asukara Episode 23 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Stark700 - Mar 13, 2014

412 by Redcher »»
Sep 26, 2023 5:22 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.