Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 6:06 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
The only thing marginally interesting that happens here is an explanation on why Nadia is such a strict vegetarian. Otherwise, this is a truly dreadful and pointless episode. Here Sanson and Hanson have a violent row that turns into a race involving two mechanical lions resembling King(!). How they even got materials to construct lions on the island is quite bewildering to me. Grandis, who spends most of the time in this episode mooning about Captain Nemo (there's even one sequence where she imagines him singing operatically) bellows, "this is getting ridiculous!" Ironically, she could very well be speaking for the audience!
Feb 3, 2008 1:39 AM
Jan 2008
nemo singing in spanish, hahaha...

"Como estas señorita Grandis"... bizarre, just like all of the island episodes.
Apr 10, 2014 6:13 PM

Apr 2012
Did they really have to give the robots testicles?
Mar 7, 2015 9:18 AM

Dec 2014
celadine said:

I was thinking the same thing!
Apr 4, 2017 1:52 AM
Aug 2013
This episode somewhat redeemed Nadia's previous behaviour regarding her hostile attitude toward the consumption of meat. I didn't think about the fact that she can talk to animals makes it harder to look at meat as a food rather than a creature that was murdered.
Sep 3, 2017 10:13 AM

Dec 2015
Even now, they keep creating modern day equipments with no material available -_- (robots, aspirator). This is getting ridiculous and needs to stop.

Lashiec said:
she can talk to animals

But... wasn't this outright denied in the early episodes?

2/5 But what did Jean discover?
Oct 18, 2017 6:21 PM

May 2016
At the beginning I thought the narrator would be useless for the entire series, but now I can just watch each episode's preview to know what happened during the previous one.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
May 23, 2018 12:41 PM

May 2012
Hmm interesting discovery by Jean, I wonder what it is... probably something to do with the whole island moving and what not. As well as I wonder what the top of that island is and why they don't bother to check out the whole island before anything to be honest...

Let's see what's next.
Nov 26, 2018 2:13 PM

Mar 2014
Geez, what a boring episode.
The plotlines and overall tone for these island episodes are just cartoonish. They have the structure of something you'd see in an episodic cartoon series, and to me it just really doesn't fit the characters.
Speaking of things being out of character, what's with Miss Grandis just suddenly forgetting about Nemo and going for this dimwit? What a terrible choice for her character development, it just kind of pushes her further back instead of developing her, honestly.

Despite all of that, I don't think this is the worst of the island episodes, but even a decent one is still just a 2/5 for me. Really hope this picks up again soon, because I'm getting sick of this arc.
::End of Transmission::

Dec 21, 2018 6:48 PM

Nov 2013
I can't believe i watch this. What a waste of fucking time.
Sep 7, 2019 1:03 PM

Aug 2017
Nonsensical forced conflict and lion robots with testicles, oh well. Who even needs to work on Gratan and use the details for it.
Apr 23, 2020 8:31 AM

Jan 2014
Well at least this episode looked at bit better animation wise in several areas compared to the other episodes in this arc so at least that is something XD

Grandis especially had several moments where she looked absolutely fantastic 🤗 at least the animators knew where to direct a good portion of their time and effort ^-^

But, yeah most of the events and interactions this episode just feel deflated and uninspired; still having trouble figuring Ayerton out as in what is he even doing here on the show to contribute to anything XD other then wasting time! I hope the show does not pursue a romantic bond between him and Grandis especially when she is still holding out hope for Nemo. Sanson and Hanson are having a pointless fight that culminates in a race between . . . robotic Kings . . . you know if you have this much time to waste maybe build something to GET OFF THE ISLAND! Plus they forget they designed them to only run in a straight line until they started the race SMH so stupid and unnecessary >.<

The only interesting bit is we gain some insight into why Nadia is such a strict vegetarian and views animal life as precious as human life that flashback and her narration were actually pretty effective. However, I agree with what some people are saying wasn't it stated in previous episodes she cannot understand animals she only understands King's heart because they have such a strong bond and again she knows what is in his heart it is not like she can hear him speaking in words directly to her. I thought she only gained the ability to hear animals clearly after meeting with the ancient white whale as well? Maybe it is a mistranslated part or maybe I misunderstood her abilities or maybe the creators of these episodes misunderstood that aspect of her as well and just put it in without confirming if it made sense XD well anything is possible :D

Well onto the next set of episodes ^-^

Dec 11, 2020 9:05 AM
Dec 2020
Speaking of factors being out of person, what's with Miss Grandis just all at once forgetting about Nemo and going for this dimwit? What a terrible choice for her man or woman development, it simply type of pushes her in addition returned in preference to growing her, definitely.
Dec 30, 2020 7:52 AM
Dec 2020
I don't think this is the worst of the island episodes, but even a decent one is still just a 2/5 for me. Really hope this picks up again soon, because I'm getting sick of this arc.

4 out of 5: Liked it

I want to link it on my site. https://teerresultinfo.com
Feb 1, 2021 4:19 PM

Feb 2012
The only enjoyable thing about this episode was Jean finding that unusual object on the seafloor.

At this point in the show, they pad the majority with filler and have this bait at the end to make use think the plot's advancing.

Why have none of the characters (especially the resident scientists, Jean, Hanson and Ayerton) investigated the strange moving island, checking out its flora and fauna?

Hopefully the next episode does something with Jean's discovery.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Aug 28, 2021 4:04 AM
Aug 2021
Sayoko said:

Robotesticles do not annoy me as much as VACUUMING ON A DESERTED ISLAND WITHOUT ELECTRICITY AND WHAT THE HELL IS HE VACCUUMING? THE SAND?

These episodes could be used as torture..
Aug 28, 2021 4:18 AM
Aug 2021
This episode could've done a lot good in the hands of the right people. Whoever made this episode is horribly incompetent between vision and execution.. at least back then.. it revealed why Nadias problems with eating meat. That she is legit traumatized. She can talk to animals and have a emotional friendship with them.. for her eating meat is as if we would just eat certain members of society. Kids are dumb and teenagers are worse.. living in the circus is F*ed up and if the only being you have a emotional connection to is getting killed for being too old or eaten that can severely impact a psycche.. I guess this was the base idea behind Nadias vegetarian terror (I forgot that up until I forced myself to watch these island episodes again).
If well written and executed this could've made for some very well story. But it would've needed time and actual investment..

SO THEY RATHER HAVE TIME INVESTED IN ROBOT TESTICLES than the complex emotional rammifications that come from being able to talk to animals..
Yeah whoever was in charge here was an absolute idiot.. thinking robot testicles is what makes such a show good.. ffs... Imagine Hideaki Annos frustration.. no wonder he got a depression after all this.. the people from NHK must've been absolutely horrible to work with..

Just imagine being in a board room and laying out an absolute masterpiece of art in front of a team only for them to make dickjokes.. Like drawing a dick on the Mona Lisas face.. I'm so sorry for Anno.. but oh well. without that struggle Evangelion would not exist in the way it does today..

I would still like to know tho how in an alternate universe the originally planned continuation of Nadia as Evangelion would've looked like... I mean when I read that to have been the original plan.. that couldve been so cool
Jun 22, 2022 9:10 AM

Feb 2021
Nothing better to do than allocating all your resources and strength into a dick measuring contest while stranded on an island

I gave it 3/5 because it was at least watchable compared to the last several episodes
Mar 12, 11:01 PM

Jul 2021
Descent for a filler episode, guess the Island has a lot of metals, seems to be made of it.

Furthermore, I think it's plausible for Hanson to make a robot like that, but Jean could only do stuff out of wood, I'm aware they have the blueprints but what about the bateries?

I supose they taught him something at the Nautilus, or maybe It's just shit writing and I'm coping!

Others pointed out my problems here so I wont bother, still bad but atleast It's entertaining.
AzafuseKingToraMar 13, 6:14 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.