Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 5:39 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
At one point, Marie says "this is getting ridiculous!" Ironically, she could very well be speaking for the audience. This is one of the first really bad episodes in Nadia, in which Nadia herself becomes more and more annoying and unlikeable. Jean sure does a lot to ensure their survival, but Nadia only treats him hideously. Later on when Nadia gets sick from eating a can of rotten spinach, Jean goes to find a cure, only to become stoned by hallucinogetic mushrooms. This is the best that the scriptwriters can come up with for a filler episode?

Like the painfully padded out concept, the production values in this episode are even weaker than the last two installments. Here it truly looks as though the animation was done by amateur cartoonists--actually, for most of these episodes, other studios in Japan and Korea were responsible for the animation, which explains the drab, sloppy look. More infuriating are the haywire characterizations present in this episode; aside from Nadia, King starts to do these crazy things while standing on his hind legs. On the later "floating island" episodes, where the most unusual of things can happen due to weak gravity, this is more understandable, but portraying him with humanlike qualities on the Lincoln Island episodes is doomed from the start. Jean, too, starts to become more cartoonish especially when he becomes stoned on those mushrooms. I also don't know whose idea it was to have him sneak meat into Nadia's breakfast meal, but as with Nadia's "nature girl" escapade, this too is also out of character for him. Jean is NOT the sort of person who would intentionally deceive anyone, even with good intentions. The hallucinogenic mushrooms sequence is also a grave embarrassment; poorly animated and implausibly executed. Whatever "humor" this scene provides only comes across as ineffective, and the cartoonish nature of this escapade makes it even worse.

To this episode's credit, we do see some dream flashbacks of Nadia's experiences in the circus, suffering the cruel, unloving treatment of her ringmaster. Those sequences, in addition to one where Gargoyle announces a mock funeral for Nemo and giving a foreshadowing to upcoming events, are arguably the only saving graces of this otherwise dreadful episode. Even the supposed "first kiss", which should have provided an important turning point in the protagonists' relationship with each other, is handled in a very weird and alienating way, proving to be nothing but a tease.
JTurnerNov 8, 2014 5:36 PM
Jun 5, 2010 7:26 AM
Mar 2010
Oh my god why am I doing this to myself
Dec 25, 2013 2:03 PM

Jun 2010
JTurner said:
This is one of the first really bad episodes in Nadia...

Episode 17 was pretty awful.

I don't really mind the episode being silly; this has never been a totally serious show and I think it can carry silliness fine as long as it's not also doing harsher stuff at the same time. This episode is kind of slow and a bit of a bore, though, and the wimpy off-screen kiss is very flippantly done.

That dream sequence was really strange. It seemed like nothing but unpleasant memories, but afterwards she says her dream taught her that she can't live alone. How so? The ringmaster seemed kinder at the end of the dream, but this is the same man who sold Nadia to Grandis in episode 1, so how can anything regarding him be pleasant? Even putting that aside, Nadia's change of heart is really clunky.
Dec 25, 2013 4:49 PM
Jan 2008
Fronzel said:
JTurner said:
This is one of the first really bad episodes in Nadia...

Episode 17 was pretty awful.

No, that episode always struck me as crucial to the show because it shows more of Jean growing into adulthood. It didn't feel out of character to me.

I don't really mind the episode being silly; this has never been a totally serious show and I think it can carry silliness fine as long as it's not also doing harsher stuff at the same time. This episode is kind of slow and a bit of a bore, though, and the wimpy off-screen kiss is very flippantly done.

That dream sequence was really strange. It seemed like nothing but unpleasant memories, but afterwards she says her dream taught her that she can't live alone. How so? The ringmaster seemed kinder at the end of the dream, but this is the same man who sold Nadia to Grandis in episode 1, so how can anything regarding him be pleasant? Even putting that aside, Nadia's change of heart is really clunky.

Well here's the thing: this episode isn't really "character development" at all. It's just hurriedly scripted garbage.

Yes, there WERE moments of comedy in the early 22 episodes, but the overall nature of the show, at least to me, DID feel like a genuine sci-fi epic, and to suddenly have the art style shift from rich detail to slapdash cartoon was very jarring. Even the so-called silliness in the early episodes were done more tactfully. Here it seems like a bad Looney Tunes cartoon on crack, which only gets worse as it goes on.

That's one of the many reasons I recommend skipping past both this episode AND the subsequent ones; the only one you really need to see is 30 and 31, then go to episode 35. These episodes are just plain bad, pure and simple.

I don't think it's impossible for the ringmaster to have the occasional moments of kindness. Remember, there's still a hint of kindness in Nadia even in the beginning episodes. Having said that, I think these dream sequences and Gargoyle's funeral play better on their own than in the context of this episode, which really has no reason to exist.
JTurnerDec 25, 2013 5:02 PM
Jan 17, 2016 4:48 AM

Nov 2011
what the fuck
h
a
t

t
h
e

f
u
c
k
Oct 16, 2016 2:23 PM

Jan 2010
Oh goodness gracious. Eggs not born yet are not considered alive, thus it's okay to eat? Also wait, she was okay eating canned spinach, which are dead plants? Manufactuered by human hands - by Gargoyle at that? Then she snaps at Jean for suggesting it, then blames Gargoyle for leading her into a trap by getting her to eat the rotten spinach? What did she even eat back in the Nautilus? I get she feels victimized by the world at large, and through her past traumas, she's creating enemies out of everything she can in order to protect her own sanctity of mind, but...dang. No, even before that, the direction this show is starting to take is pretty rough. Jean is a doormat, Nadia is unreasonable, and somehow, Marie is the anchor that manages to keep everything grounded. This flip flops with Jean showing that even he has limits, Nadia being aware of her own inabilities, and Marie actually acting like a kid, which makes the show seem like it's trying to have the best of both worlds as opposed to portraying any particular growths in character nor inherent complexities in their personalities. If anything, that's solidified by the episode's ending, which seemed almost unwarranted given the swiftness of which that came about.

I'm not aware of the finer details of the show's creative situation, but I wonder what parts of it affected the show's current direction. Wowzers.
ShockedOct 16, 2016 2:32 PM
Oct 16, 2016 2:32 PM
Jan 2008
Shocked said:
Oh goodness gracious. Eggs not born yet are not considered alive, thus it's okay to eat? Also wait, she was okay eating canned spinach, which are dead plants? Manufactuered by human hands - by Gargoyle at that? Then she snaps at Jean for suggesting it, then blames Gargoyle for leading her into a trap by getting her to eat the rotten spinach? What did she even eat back in the Nautilus? I get she feels victimized by the world at large, and through her past traumas, she's creating enemies out of everything she can in order to protect her own sanctity of mind, but...dang. No, even before that, the direction this show is starting to take is pretty rough. I'm not aware of the finer details of the show's creative situation, but I wonder what parts of it affected the show's current direction.

The best answer I can say is that these episodes were just hurried created just to meet the deadlines of the expansion. Neither Anno nor Gainax wanted the island arc to exist; they had intended for the show to be just 27-30 episodes, that's it. Just those episodes. The problem? The show was more successful than thought, and by this point, Hideaki Anno was working on episodes 35-39, which is where the show's return to greatness comes, while Shinji Higuchi was in the director's chair from episodes 23-34. Apparently he didn't follow the guidelines that Anno had laid out in the previous 22 episodes, which is why these episodes feel so glaringly out of context with what we've seen from episodes 1-22.
Oct 16, 2016 2:35 PM

Jan 2010
JTurner said:
Shocked said:
Oh goodness gracious. Eggs not born yet are not considered alive, thus it's okay to eat? Also wait, she was okay eating canned spinach, which are dead plants? Manufactuered by human hands - by Gargoyle at that? Then she snaps at Jean for suggesting it, then blames Gargoyle for leading her into a trap by getting her to eat the rotten spinach? What did she even eat back in the Nautilus? I get she feels victimized by the world at large, and through her past traumas, she's creating enemies out of everything she can in order to protect her own sanctity of mind, but...dang. No, even before that, the direction this show is starting to take is pretty rough. I'm not aware of the finer details of the show's creative situation, but I wonder what parts of it affected the show's current direction.

The best answer I can say is that these episodes were just hurried created just to meet the deadlines of the expansion. Neither Anno nor Gainax wanted the island arc to exist; they had intended for the show to be just 27-30 episodes, that's it. Just those episodes. The problem? The show was more successful than thought, and by this point, Hideaki Anno was working on episodes 35-39, which is where the show's return to greatness comes, while Shinji Higuchi was in the director's chair from episodes 23-34. Apparently he didn't follow the guidelines that Anno had laid out in the previous 22 episodes, which is why these episodes feel so glaringly out of context with what we've seen from episodes 1-22.

Beforehand, the show was a wealth of great ideas, combining the original novel with modern day-ish concerns over the the presence of technology in the evolution of human society. It also brings up points regarding the return to nature, portraying both the positive and negative aspects of that argument. If this was an attempt to extend the show to be longer than it needed to be, then I can see why character traits that should have been resolved in past episodes are being brought back in the form of near-character regression. Hmm...I can definitely see what you mean.
Sep 2, 2017 11:13 AM

Dec 2015
I know those episodes are bad, terrible, whatever and everything. But the things I retained from this one are:
- the very blurry and shaky shots of the hole entry taken from the inside: how do you get that level of bad picture quality?
- the dream about the how so terrible life of Nadia at the circus who owned her. I'm sure it was a rough life, but I doubt it was such a nightmare. The ring leader was shown having remorses when he gave her up to Glandis (like he had been beaten/threaten into it).
- the kiss. THE KISS. THE KIIIISSS !!! An extraterrestrial scene.

1/5 The further we go, the worst the characters look in close-up (close-up drawings were actually fine earlier).
Rei_IIISep 2, 2017 11:32 AM
Oct 17, 2017 10:34 PM

May 2016
Well, this was almost as bad as episode 17. At least this episode knows how dumb it is.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Jan 10, 2018 9:13 AM
Jul 2018
When heard all the complains about the so called filler arc i thought to myself "eh it cant be that bad can it?" well god damn this is painful... even the slap-stick humor is bad.
May 22, 2018 4:40 PM

May 2012
You always wonder what kind of drugs the Gainax team took to create their anime, and well they sometimes give subtle hints but this sure was a big one!

Okay episode, nothing too special and I actually expected to see a real kiss between those two, not an implied one :/ shame as that could've made the episode a bit better!
Jun 22, 2019 9:12 AM

Dec 2008
The drawn out arguments about trying to get her to eat meat are the worst. I know the show was made in 1989, but those scenes have all the excitement of a Facebook argument. I watch anime to get away from that kind of stupid. 😒
Sep 6, 2019 3:06 PM

Aug 2017
Damn, this episode is not just bad, it's abysmal. I'm too lazy to mention what was bad about it, because almost everything was. Nemo's funeral was kinda nice though and at least provided a more deep dive into the plans of Neo-Atlantis.

Despite all that, I don't *hate* the island arc so far. Idk, but I just can't feel these kinds of emotions towards anime, however bad it might be. I'm just smiling and facepalming because of how bad it is.
Apr 20, 2020 8:28 AM
Jun 2012
This almost seems like anti-vegetarian propaganda, in which Nadia is the strawman vegetarian. The arguments are that bad.
Apr 21, 2020 4:50 AM

Jan 2014
Now I actually thought this episode was slightly slightly better then the previous two but to be fair when your lowest possible point is the center of the Earth the bar has not been set very high to say the least XD

I mean Nadia and Jean arguing about eating meat feels a bit more true to form (now I know these episodes are awful if I want them to go back to that XD) but like with many of the problems with these episodes the conversation goes on WAY too long, it gets the characters all wrong I agree Jean would not put meat in something purposely and Nadia's arguments are even worse here LOL and they were not originally great in the first place! Although Jean is not wrong about meat containing vital nutrients that help strengthen your body the same way all foods play a part in a healthy diet and fueling the body.

We briefly see the Grandis gang again but it is kinda cringe did not like those arm waving and slapping movements Grandis did the shooting sharks was at least a bit of something I guess . . .

The funeral Gargoyle held for Nemo was a bit better then things we have seen before but the artwork looked awful there but at least they did not try to insert some of the "hilarious comedy" they are known for in that scene.

And I mean seeing flashbacks from Nadia's harsh past was something I think many wanted to see but the way it is framed it is like this bizarre combination between serious and cartoony (I know it is a nightmare from a kid but still there could have been a better way to convey all this) and it just made me feel uncomfortable and not in the way they intended.

The mushroom scene was also pretty cringe although while this might be obscure I wonder if when Jean was eating the mushrooms saying they are delicious and telling Marie to come here quickly I wonder if that was a reference to the Japanese horror movie Matango from 1963 where shipwrecked survivors consume mushrooms and slowly lose their minds transforming into mushroom abominations hence Jean losing his mind and his changing skin. A bit of a tangent yes but more interesting then this episode at least ^-^

We end up closing the episode with an off screen kiss again I believe many were waiting for a moment like that between Jean and Nadia but in an episode like this it means nothing and I think many would want that moment to actually be shown then again since this episode is pretty bad perhaps it is better it was not shown XD whelp back to the grind with the next episode :D

Aug 20, 2020 9:50 PM
Jul 2020
Honestly, I don't understand the utter disdain for this chapter in the infamous run as it provides some much needed detail into Nadia's past and shows her maturing (for now) past her stubborn and selfish nature. Plus, the Gargoyle scene was definitely a worthwhile, and frankly necessary, plot development and should be added unto the required episode (30 & 31)list of this much maligned arc.

Also, I have to say the kiss scene was a definite disappointment for everyone, including the baked Jean, but I can handle my sadness because Jean & Nadia "relationship" is fully dysfunctional one that harbors no solid ground in romance or reality. Even prior to episode 23, Jean and Nadia were not meshing well enough to craft a memorable romantic scene and if it would ever happen then it probably some fan service moment in the conclusive episode. Finally, I must confess the mushroom scene made me laugh as simple looney humor that is perfectly fine in small doses and maybe riles up feeling here for the overdosage of those type of scenes during this "Nadia's Island" episodes.
Aug 26, 2020 12:05 AM
Jan 2008
Well here's the thing. The problem with this episode is that it feels so badly out of context with the rest of the show, not only on an execution level (the bad animation) but in terms of how the characters are laid out. Yes, the circus scenes with Nadia and Gargoyle's scene are noteworthy, but that doesn't make up for the rest of this episode.

Also, I personally felt these episodes absolutely trash both the characters and their relationships. Yes, Jean and Nadia had the occasional disagreement in episodes 1-22, but otherwise I felt both were slowly becoming friends with each other and bonding. There were plenty of touching moments between them, like the graveyard scene in episode 16 and 17 and even some of the quieter moments in episodes 1-8 and episode 11. Their friendship was hardly dysfunctional to me. If anything, it felt like both slowly learning about each other.

It's only in these episodes that the writers really take the characters off track and have them behave in ways we never see them do in episodes 1-22 or 35-39. There was a different director at this point and other studios were producing these episodes. THAT'S the reason why the island/Africa episodes stand out in all the wrong ways. Even Mr. Anno has said it's best to disregard them from the continuity of the story.
Oct 23, 2020 5:10 PM
May 2020
At first I hated this episode, but it got better as the episode progressed. Still, the best part was getting a quick shot of that trio surrounded by sharks.
Jan 28, 2021 2:14 PM

Feb 2012
So they were fungi not in the book yet he thought it'd be a good idea to eat them? And he gets high. Jean has some Dunning-Kruger going on here.

Marie is very sensible here.

I think Grandis's gang might find the island.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 21, 2021 3:28 AM

Jul 2021
This is the first episode I almost turned off. The beginning is so bad, all because of Nadia. How can anyone be that stupid? I don't know what is going on with King, they have literally turned him into a Looney Tunes character. I'm starting to think this whole series should have been about the Grandis crew, it certainly would have been better without Nadia and her despicable behavior. Are there really 10 more episodes of this awful arc, I'm not sure if I can get through it if the rest are this bad.
Aug 28, 2021 3:08 AM
Aug 2021
This episode is exactly what I think the inner monologue of a fanatic terror vegan in puberty is like. (you know the people who make it the sole purpose of their life to tell others that they are vegan)
I think it physically hurt me to watch it.. but that is nothing in compare the the psychological harm it did...
The whole Nadia vegan arc wreaks of incomprehensible self-contradicting stupidity

I envy Jean... at least he had a dream about a talking sausage... I rather had watched an episode about that dream than this episode

Aug 28, 2021 3:20 AM
Aug 2021
Katweazle said:
This is the first episode I almost turned off. The beginning is so bad, all because of Nadia. How can anyone be that stupid? I don't know what is going on with King, they have literally turned him into a Looney Tunes character. I'm starting to think this whole series should have been about the Grandis crew, it certainly would have been better without Nadia and her despicable behavior. Are there really 10 more episodes of this awful arc, I'm not sure if I can get through it if the rest are this bad.

The worst thing is.. I know people that are exactly like Nadia in her worst moments.. but they have none of her redeeming qualities.. I think that made it all the harder for me to watch this episode..
Jan 12, 2022 4:00 AM

Mar 2011
When this aired on local TV yesterday (like, the 1st time in probably several years!) the scenes with Jean & Marie in the cave suddenly partially shifted back and forth between 'normal' (doesn't seem to mean much during this arc) and looking like washed-out, Multiple-Generation VHS copies, different ratios (?) and even the Audio/Voicework became parts-out-of-synch. Is it only me or has anybody else experienced the same problem?
Jan 13, 2022 8:40 AM
Apr 2020
UubTay said:
This almost seems like anti-vegetarian propaganda, in which Nadia is the strawman vegetarian. The arguments are that bad.
Exactly my issue with this episode. In earlier episodes she had rather reasonable arguments and I was hoping the show could make people think about their meat consumption without directly attacking them. But all this seems shattered now that she's just repeating herself over and over again and doesn't understand how people could eat animals even in emergency situations. It's a big difference if, for example, a 'murican dad gets angry because he doesn't get his beef steak on Sunday opposed to people living in arctic regions who hunt fish and other animals in order to survive because most of the time it's the only option.

Happosama said:
When this aired on local TV yesterday (like, the 1st time in probably several years!) the scenes with Jean & Marie in the cave suddenly partially shifted back and forth between 'normal' (doesn't seem to mean much during this arc) and looking like washed-out, Multiple-Generation VHS copies, different ratios (?) and even the Audio/Voicework became parts-out-of-synch. Is it only me or has anybody else experienced the same problem?
I also noticed this. It is probably due to missing or lost cels during the remastering process. I have seen some scenes before (even in the earlier episodes) that have a lower resolution than the rest. But none of those were as bad as in this episode. I don't know what went wrong there.
Feb 24, 2022 4:06 PM
Feb 2022
Honestly I found it fine as an episode.
Jun 20, 2022 3:39 PM

Feb 2021
Nadia definitely lost her mind ever since she entered the island. Hard to believe a fucking four year old is the only kid thinking rationally now
Jul 5, 2022 3:57 PM
Feb 2020
Happosama said:

I was wondering the same thing. Then I thought that my copy has this error. Then I took a look at the Czech TV RIP 1080i version for another episode with the same error, and that stuff still present. I can also guess it is a missing CEL shenanigan
Feb 14, 2023 3:38 PM
Apr 2019
sämsta avsnittet nånsin :/
Mar 4, 6:04 PM

Jul 2021
Not as bad as the previous one, Jean was a bit too pushy with her eating meat and what he did at the start was dick move for him but it makes sense considering the situation they're in, its eating meat or starving to death. Also, Nadia is vegetarian, not full-on vegan, I think both of their arguments regarding eggs are valid. There's some progress with Gargoyle and we get to learn a bit about Nadia. Second half is a bit dumb but they finally kissed!.. even if they won't show it for reasons.
AzafuseKingToraMar 4, 6:26 PM
Mar 12, 12:59 PM
Dec 2019
All right so on top of all other things for which Nadia has been unlikeable so far, I'm gonna add "Non consensual kiss" which could even be considered sexual assault in some most countries.

Image the role were reversed, and Nadia was high on mushrooms and clearly not in her right mind for any kind of consent and Jean would have kissed her - but hey, it's Nadia, the most unlikeable main character I've seen in a long, long while.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.