Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 5:21 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Our heroes' adventures on the Nautilus draw to a shattering close when Gargoyle's aerial battleship cripples the vessel in a devastating attack. First, the Garfish submarines fire torpedoes underwater (Nemo and the crew answer back with a strike of their own). Secondly, Gargoyle's super-powerful SeaNet Beam Gun entraps the Nautilus in a powerful grip, pulling it inexorably into mid-air. Thirdly, the battleship's atomic vibration guns tear through the submarine's armored plating and deprive them of their electricity. Finally, after a mocking message of death from Gargoyle, the aristocrat sends a superbomb smashing into the Nautilus, sabotaging its bow.

Frustrated with their predicament, Electra suggests to self-destruct the Nautilus in order to assure their victory against Gargoyle, but Grandis and her boys as well as the Nautilus crew conjure up a counterattack of their own. The spectacularly exciting showdown culminates with the Grandis boys disabling Gargoyle's SeaNet Gun (before they are sent spiraling helplessly into the sky), Jean saving Nadia from being transported up to Gargoyle using a spare mini-rocket, Nemo and the others destroying Gargoyle's weapon with their last missile, and finally, the Nautilus sinking into the waves as Gargoyle seethes venemously after it, "Thus is the fate of fools!"

Quite a lot of pyrotechnics in this episode, but the powerful material also provides for some amazing animation effects. A must watch.
Jun 7, 2012 1:44 AM

Apr 2012
Oh baby, what an ep.
Aug 20, 2016 7:38 PM

Jun 2016
Gargoyles ship was a bit too comically evil for my taste but that was a fantastic episode! I was seriously worried that Grandis and her boys would be done for but I really doubt that with how they went blasting off team rocket style. I also totally love Gargoyles theme, that song that plays whenever he's making a speech or whatever rocks!
Aug 20, 2016 8:04 PM
Jan 2008
hentaimoney said:
Gargoyles ship was a bit too comically evil for my taste but that was a fantastic episode! I was seriously worried that Grandis and her boys would be done for but I really doubt that with how they went blasting off team rocket style. I also totally love Gargoyles theme, that song that plays whenever he's making a speech or whatever rocks!

I must warn you, the next episode after this is the last great one in the show. After that it's all downhill from there until episode 35. Trust me.
Aug 20, 2016 8:13 PM

Jun 2016
JTurner said:
hentaimoney said:

I must warn you, the next episode after this is the last great one in the show. After that it's all downhill from there until episode 35. Trust me.

man i didn't realize how close the filler was already, been enjoying the show too much. Thanks for the heads up.
Aug 20, 2016 8:22 PM
Jan 2008
Regrettably, that was the same mistake I made. I was enjoying it too much that I was so crushingly disappointed that it went downhill so quickly.
Sep 2, 2017 7:38 AM

Dec 2015
Another fantastic episode, featuring more Neo-Atlantis/Gargoyle tracks (the best ones). Electra's behaviour seems to indicate her later turn (another thing I forgot when it will happen).

The whale suggesting Nadia's brother is alive, Nemo showing us his son through the family portrait, and now Gargoyle mentioning the Emperor of Neo-Atlantis... I guess it is almost time ! With this kind of elements and the intensity of the episode, you can really sense how close the series is to its finale.

5/5 I can't wait !!
Rei_IIISep 2, 2017 7:41 AM
Dec 14, 2017 12:58 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Awesome chapter. Love it when the Gratan takes off with the trio. It's quite interesting how at the beginning hey are such unsympathetic characters and by this episode they are fan favorites
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Apr 2, 2018 8:59 AM

Nov 2011
A very excited episode that is very interesting because the Nautilus compared to the previous time, receives huge damage, but Nemo seems not to be worried, as if he had an ace up his sleeve, the same can be said of Gargoyle, who remains impassive despite the damage suffered to his spaceship. Wow! It is strange to see Electra lose patience at such a time, and even reveal something very important that also involves Nadia, curiosity increases. The narration is rather amusing at certain moments, but this does not affect the tragic moment we viewers witness. I can not wait to see the next episode.
May 22, 2018 2:14 PM

May 2012
Damn what an episode, how can the Nautilus recover from this? Really mind blowing and really intense episode, but I do wonder could Gargoyle actually be the son or brother of Nemo and therefore the brother or uncle of Nadia we saw in that hologram? This idea pretty much got to me when they talked about a chess game...

Really interesting though! I do wonder what's up next!
Apr 19, 2020 11:38 AM

Jan 2014
And so the episode ends with defeat as our heroes evade complete annihilation from Gargoyle but the Nautilus plunges into the sea which was a fantastic ending for this great ride of an episode :D

Gargoyle goes all out to ensnare our heroes launching several Garfish subs to attack them I really liked these nautical combat scenes they were very well done as the Nautilus dodged their various missiles and were able to launch a successful counter attack but it was all a strategy to position them right below their dreaded Super Catch (which is a pretty dumb name XD to be honest no matter who says it) which is so powerful a magnet it pulls the Nautilus right from the depths of the sea suspending it in the air and they start tearing apart its armor while having their Garfish units fire from the sea.

It was was amusing seeing all our heroes fall as the sub was lifted up that OH NO~ was hilarious 🤣 as was their faces upon falling on each other! We also get insight as Gargoyle mentions events that state him and Nemo knew each other long ago and were quite close makes me curious as to what his identity truly is. Electra wants to take Gargoyle out so badly she pleads for hem to self destruct! She seems a bit crazy intense suggesting Nemo would have done such a thing in the past but now because of Nadia he refuses to make such a sacrifice. Thankfully Grandis is there to tell her straight and that her love for Nemo is so great she just refuses to die here XD once again the Grandis trio coming aboard was a great move for the Nautilus as they provide aid using their Katherine :D

Grandis, Sanson and Hanson the villain trio that endeared themselves to our hearts ^-^ glad to see they have a plan of action and I liked how Nemo wished them good luck LOL tossing Jean out of his hiding spot 😂 seems they have learned from their past mistakes I really did like the talk Sanson gave to Jean about watching over Nadia, Marie and King and also the importance of protecting others and protecting yourself as well certainly powerful life philosophy to follow! LOL at Grandis getting mad at Hanson while they were getting shot at XD

Good on Nadia trying to give her Blue Water up to save everyone but sadly Gargoyle would never honor a promise like that but her action is greatly appreciated! Thankfully Jean did not go with the Grandis trio so he was there to save Nadia from being snatched away great work and indeed Nadia make a nice landing :D Fantastic job by the crew opening that missile hatch and Sanson hitting that crack shot before the second bomb dropped LMAO yeah they way the Grandis crew got blown away and calling out for help gave me flashbacks of Team Rocket blasting off again~ or I guess these would be flash forwards considering this series came first O-O ah well best not to dwell on it too much ^-^

And what a way to end the episode they escape destruction by the grit of their teeth but the Nautilus is in shambles is it even underwater worthy anymore!?! Cannot wait to see what unfolds next it is very exciting :D

Oct 1, 2020 3:38 PM
May 2020
This would have been great for a finale, but was likely a financial gamble to put it as the midpoint. Who thought it was a good idea to get rid of the Nautilus so quickly?

Why doesn't the Nautilus have allies anyway?
Regardless, this was animated and told pretty well. So I gave it a 5/5.
Jan 27, 2021 5:04 PM

Feb 2012
It's great that Grandis, Hanson and Sanson all did their part to defeat the flying battleship.
Before Team Rocket was blasting off again, literally.

Jean's flying machine that probably put them in this mess, managed to be kinda useful.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 11, 2021 2:07 AM

Jul 2021
I'm surprised no one has mentioned Jean running away like a coward and leaving Nadia and Marie to die. He didn't ask them to come with him, didn't even say good-bye. Just shouts "Wait for me!" and runs away. I had to rewatch that scene again just to make sure it actually happened. Totally lost all respect for him there. I was also let down that Grandis and crew never offered to take them, or at least Marie. They just said "We don't have any reason to die here with you" and left. So long kids, sorry we can't be bothered to take you with us since you're about to be killed. Very disappointing behavior this episode.
Jul 29, 2021 6:23 AM

Jul 2014
Is this a joke? Grandis and her men were going to deal with the situation to help the Nautilus escape, but Nadia as usual decided she knew better and decided to give herself and the Blue Water up instead? How stupid can she possibly be, to make that choice in that situation and to believe that Gargoyle would actually honour her request to stop the killing? And the fact that she didn't get captured in the end because of the Nautilus' final counter-attack is honestly besides the point, as she still intended to give herself up and thus invalidate the efforts of both the Gratin and the Nautilus to salvage the situation.
AtavisticJul 29, 2021 6:27 AM
Jun 18, 2022 2:09 AM

Feb 2021
All that shit they went through and Nadia just throws the stone out like that? Piss off show

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.