Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 4:36 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Although it lacks the awe and wonder of the previous episode, this is still a very charming, enjoyable character development "filler." Grandis and Electra are amusing as ever, as are Sanson and Hanson, but ultimately, it's all about Jean as he struggles to come to terms with the challenges of adulthood, and being accepted by the Nautilus crew. The best parts of this episode are Nadia encouraging Jean to build a gyrocopter (it ends with a very sweet flight sequence involving the two) and Marie teasing Nadia about her feelings for Jean. I really love this one.
JTurnerJan 17, 2008 5:14 PM
Dec 16, 2009 9:21 PM

Feb 2009
Another great episode with character development. I really enjoy these kind of episodes in the middle of a series. I specially liked jean and hanson in this one.
Dec 16, 2009 9:46 PM
Jan 2008
Veethorn said:
Another great episode with character development. I really enjoy these kind of episodes in the middle of a series. I specially liked jean and hanson in this one.

Yeah, this episode is quite a charmer. Just be warned, though, eps. 23-34 are some really, really BAD filler.
Sep 23, 2010 2:47 AM

Nov 2008
So.. so much blinking. Such soulless still images. Such excessive stock footage O_O. Only movement in the episode were mouths and excessive blinking eyes.. and so many blaring logical errors or general QUALITY faces.

I think this might be the single worst episode of anything I've ever seen. I think the worst part is how the episode lists 8 key animators too. What the heck were 8 of those guys doing? How in the world did 8 guys get credit with an episode where it might as well be a still picture drama in stead of an actual anime episode.

Not even Nadia's straight-forward tsundere attitude could save this episode.
Oct 16, 2010 6:08 PM
Jan 2008
Then you haven't seen episodes 23-34. Those are far, far, far worse than this one, and are even more dreadful to look at.
Dec 24, 2013 10:35 AM

Jun 2010
JTurner said:
Although it lacks the awe and wonder of the previous episode, this is still a very charming, enjoyable character development "filler." ...ultimately, it's all about Jean as he struggles to come to terms with the challenges of adulthood, and being accepted by the Nautilus crew.

Having seen even just one episode ahead of this, I can argue that you're incorrect. For Jean's personalty to change given all that's happened would make sense, but it goes right back to normal in episode 18. Because there's no follow-through, it isn't actually character development, but just being out-of-character. I also find its treatment of the theme of maturation to be too on-the-nose. This is a pretty bad episode.
Dec 25, 2013 4:45 PM
Jan 2008
It's one thing to have a different opinion, but to say that I'm wrong is a bit overstretching it. I saw this is a case of Jean gradually coming out of his glumness. On that episode, I thought it was very sweet and heartwarming. And sorry, but compared to the drivel that is the island arc, this is a likeable episode, and it counts as character development on both his and Nadia's part. I found nothing about this episode that was bad in any way. I don't understand HOW anyone can think elsewise; I thought this was a very pleasant breaker.
JTurnerDec 25, 2013 4:52 PM
Jan 10, 2014 7:57 PM

Jun 2010
JTurner said:
It's one thing to have a different opinion, but to say that I'm wrong is a bit overstretching it.

Thinking other people are wrong is kind of how having different opinions works.

JTurner said:
...compared to the drivel that is the island arc...

How good or bad other episodes are doesn't really have any bearing on the merits of this one. Every discussion of this series doesn't have to revolve around how bad the island episodes are.
May 5, 2014 5:47 AM

May 2008
These guys at the end have no clue about safety huh? Standing so close on the aircraft screams for final destination vibes lol... Their heads could be chopped in pieces if something bad happens.
Jun 4, 2015 10:34 PM
Jan 2013
Is anybody really dying to find out the "secret of blue water?" I'm enjoying the story but the narrator constantly pushing that question is getting annoying. While it may be an important element to the show, none of the characters seem too concerned about what it is or where it comes from and neither am I. When I find out, I'll find out, but it is not a nagging question by any means.
Aug 20, 2016 4:28 PM

Jun 2016
Solid episode but really lacked any kind of subtlety. It's a real problem I constantly see with Nadia to be honest, it just blatantly and awkwardly tells you everything that's going on. Still digging the show though it's really great and I guess I'll see if I agree that the character development in this episode was good when I watch more.
Sep 29, 2017 11:04 AM

May 2016
Well, I guess we can pretty much consider Jean and Nadia to be a couple at this point. That's the good news.

Well, this wasn't a complete disaster but it would have been much better if they didn't keep shoving the episode's theme in the audience's faces. There are few things I dislike more than being treated as if I was a retard, and the obnoxious writing destroyed anything touching and/or charming that happened during this episode.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Sep 29, 2017 11:11 AM
Jan 2008
Lease_of_Life said:
Well, I guess we can pretty much consider Jean and Nadia to be a couple at this point. That's the good news.

Do yourself a favor and skip episodes 23-34 (save 30-31), though; they muck everything up between the two in a bad way.
Sep 30, 2017 4:55 PM

May 2016
JTurner said:
Lease_of_Life said:

Do yourself a favor and skip episodes 23-34 (save 30-31), though; they muck everything up between the two in a bad way.

Fans of Nadia are so obsessed with those it's actually making me curious.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Oct 1, 2017 5:26 AM

Dec 2015
@Lease_of_Life Some people are. To a scary extent. XD
And if you skipped certain of those episodes, some things would make less sense (even if those episodes are by themselves insanely stupid or bad).
Nov 24, 2017 1:01 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
The obsession with the nurse was so Gainax. Reminded of Otaku no Video.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 5, 2017 5:44 PM

Nov 2017
After being tossed into emotional despair the last few episodes, I really needed one like this to get my feels balanced again. Great episode.
Mar 29, 2018 7:37 AM

Nov 2011
An episode that exudes wisdom, sympathy, fun and romance. The narrative manages to produce an episode that has a lot of history despite the fact that it is not a step forward. It is understood that growing up is something illogical, because each time you have to mediate between aspects that are antithetical to each other, but a valid teaching is always that when you know your limits and the things you like, then you have become an adult.
May 21, 2018 7:24 PM

May 2012
A pretty perfect balance episode if you ask me, really loved that ending alright! And well he sure must he hella smart for making a effing chopper!
Apr 16, 2020 2:58 AM

Jan 2014
While very different in tone compared to the previous episode this was still very enjoyable and it serves as a nice opposite I would say it gives off the air of our characters obtaining newfound purposes that will keep them moving forward :D

But, first we start with some comedic antics during the crew's exercise sessions XD Electra looking cute getting upset at Grandis hands on her hips (who is sunbathing looking absolutely fantastic in her stylish bikini 😍) and starts blowing her whistle in sporadic blasts trying to get her attention and sends the crew moving in formation trying to match her rhythm too funny 🤣 Then we get a classic Grandis and Electra exchange this time going after each other's weight in fact Electra showed even more frustrated faces then she ever has before and their fiery stares cause sparks hilarious XD

It is good to see Sanson and Hanson are better adapting to the sub nautical life and I agree with Sanson sometimes you just have to take the chance when going after a romance better to know where they stand instead of never asking of course be sure to come prepared! LOL also I had no idea fan clubs for certain ladies (idols) existed in the 19th century along with collector photos and membership IDs ah Japan teaching the parts of history that are seldom referenced ^-^ so wise and I admit the nurse Miss Ikoli is pretty cute and sweet looking but if I had to join a fan club in this world it would be the Grandis fan club (I know I have hidden that shocking detail well maybe I dropped a few hints here and there X3) although since I am just content with one lady (within this anime LOL) maybe I think more like Jean after all XD

I do like Jean's determination to become a full fledged member of the crew and when that falls short aims to make himself useful and fulfill the promise to fly with Nadia once more! I did like how optimistically she stated to Jean about wanting to fly with him a great touch. I also liked how concerned she was about Jean eating properly and how she gets embarrassed at Grandis and Marie just stating her true honest feelings towards Jean XD Nemo is certainly aiming for an admirable future where Jean and people his age do not have to kill to survive a noble goal there have been generations that carve that kind of future out across the world I for one will never forget that kind of sacrifice and make the most out of such a future and take action should it be up to my generation to prevent that kind of future for the younger one!

We got that funny badmouthing someone and them sneezing bit with both Electra and Grandis (who skill looks pretty and cute with her face mask and hair tied up that way X3) always (sometimes) a hilarious classic in anime XD

LOL we get some more funny antics with Hanson making his own flowers for Electra (a very sweet gesture I guess him and Sanson did not know or forgot about the fact flowers grow on the Nautilus XD) and Sanson snatching one to put the charms on Miss Ikoli while everyone was visiting her with minor (fake) injuries just to get some attentive care from her 😂 plus seems his technique worked even got her to blush and accept his gesture (but when he said testing to see if it worked I wonder if he has his eyes on a certain red headed member of the crew ;D good luck if you do Sanson) although man they kinda overreacted they really laid into Sanson! But, rough break Hanson when giving Electra your flowers because man Electra read the room a bit and do not bring up another man you are going to share his gift with while he is making this move XD let him down easy at least!

Really loved Jean and Nadia talking in the power core room and that declaration he made to her after successfully creating a new airplane with Hanson about becoming a man who will look after her and promising to take her to Africa and Nadia's look and promise that she will be waiting for that day was an especially excellent sendoff to this very nice episode!

Sep 24, 2020 10:57 AM
May 2020
Jean being annoyed at being treated like a child was tedious at first, but the resolution of this episode's plot made up for it.
Jan 23, 2021 4:42 PM

Feb 2012
This is a continuation of Jean's development in the previous episode when he came to terms with his father's death#

Good job sticking to Nadia, otherwise he would've ended up in those fillery nurse fanclub scenes.

Having Nadia to remind him to wat while he overworks on machines reminds me of Fraw and Amuro's relationship in Gundam.

He learns to accept that as a child he needs help and then can move on into becoming an adult. Hanson was almost like a surrogate father to him, especially when he was watching the helicopter launch.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jun 13, 2022 10:55 PM

Feb 2021
Characters developed but story did not again
CrackJun 14, 2022 11:33 PM

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.