Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 17, 2008 4:28 PM
Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
An amazingly staged and gutwrenchingly heartbreaking entry, this is a must-see episode, no questions asked. Here the Nautilus falls into yet another trap set by Gargoyle; the resulting damage costs the lives of some valiant sailors, including one Ensign Fait, who had become good friends with Jean for fixing his glasses (Nadia had accidentally stepped on them), and suggesting that Jean give Nadia flowers to impress her. Fait only has a small part, but his small role is as kind and genial as Jean himself, which makes the emotionally shattering moment where he must lay down his life all the more tragic. The real emotional impact is when Jean becomes devastatingly crushed witnessing someone die at the hands of the technology he idealized with so much. The sequences where the Nautilus comes nose to nose with the Garfish in a deadly cat-and-mouse game and, later on, becomes the firing target of the American fleet we saw in Episode 3 (on account of Gargoyle, of course) are also thrilling and action-packed, exuding a very real sense of tension and excitement.
JTurnerJan 17, 2008 5:10 PM
Jul 6, 2008 9:29 AM
Jan 2008
Also an interesting fact: in the dub, Fait's voice is supplied by Maurice Moore, who previously played a role in Steven Spielberg's "The Color Purple".
Nov 24, 2009 1:40 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This episode is the kind of stuff that reminds why I got into anime. Sad yet unbelievably powerful.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Dec 14, 2009 6:12 PM

Feb 2009
Wow... I was not expecting this powerful episode, it really caught me off guard... the order to shut them in and Jean's running to save Fait, Jean's struggle to open the door, Nadia's revolt against Nemo and the slap she got from Grandis for being so hot-headed were moments that really got me.
Jun 5, 2012 2:50 PM

Apr 2012
The hardcore. I keep being surprised by this anime.
Dec 22, 2013 11:47 PM

Jun 2010
My favorite part is how after telling Jean Nemo was right to leave him in the compartment filling with poison fumes (and an extremely tense silence), Fait starts screaming that he doesn't want to die. Depictions of people meeting death with fear are pretty rare despite this being a natural response.
Oct 17, 2015 7:59 PM

Jan 2014
Damn. I haven't been 100% on board with the show yet, and I was a little bored during the first half of this ep, but when this show hits, it hits hard. Fait's death was really chilling stuff.
Aug 19, 2016 9:52 PM

Jun 2016
A bit sad Fait was just introduced so he could die in a dramatic way. The scene and the episode were extremely powerful but it could of been so much better if Fait was introduced and played a semi-important role ever since they first boarded the Naitilus. I liked Nadia a lot more this episode, her actions were extremely understandable unlike some of the other things she pulled in the past.
Aug 19, 2016 10:06 PM
Jan 2008
hentaimoney said:
A bit sad Fait was just introduced so he could die in a dramatic way. The scene and the episode were extremely powerful but it could of been so much better if Fait was introduced and played a semi-important role ever since they first boarded the Naitilus. I liked Nadia a lot more this episode, her actions were extremely understandable unlike some of the other things she pulled in the past.

Episodes 16 and 17 will also give you a glance of Nadia being likable: in there we see her bonding with Jean in Atlantis and in a gyrocopter, and the two are on good terms for episodes 18 and 19.

I'll say it though for you own good: SKIP EPISODES 23-34. Only watch episodes 30 and 31 of those 12. Then watch 35-39. Do so and you will not hate Nadia altogether, trust me.
Sep 19, 2016 7:10 AM

Jan 2010
I'm not a fan of introducing characters just to kill them off within the span of a single character. I think if it wanted to have a greater impact, Fait should have been introduced much earlier on. Though, perhaps the intent wasn't to emphasize the death itself, as it might have distracted from the point the episode was trying to make: the main characters are becoming increasingly discontent with the nature and goal of the Nautilus. The issue isn't the fact that someone aboard the crew died, but the reactions to that death. I will note that it's curious to see the main character being the ones that visibly react to the death as opposed to the crew members themselves. They're instead stoic, which compares to the vengeful reactions the novel's crew would have expressed.

Also, regarding the death scene itself, I'm greatly impressed with how the anime handled it. Nothing is more impactful than what the viewer images themselves, so not showing Fait die worked really well in hammering in how harsh the scene was, both for the main characters and for the viewers. We can only guess at the effects of the toxins in how it killed Fait, and we only had sounds to go off of. There were also long pauses between lines of dialogue that echoed later uses in Evangelion which I really, really liked. Though, that ending scream greatly contrasted with Fait's previous words of reassurance, so I'm unsure of what happened there. Perhaps he was actually lying before about being okay with dying for the sake of the crew, it's hard to say. That, however, plays into how well that scene was executed. It could probably be read into all day.
Aug 31, 2017 12:58 PM

Dec 2015
Perfect episode from the action and thrills of the beginning/middle to the off-screen death scene and the reactions around this event.
The death scene was exemplarily well done. Up to the final scream of Fait, who sounded even more true after his vain attempt to convince Jean (and himself?).

5+/5
Sep 20, 2017 11:22 PM

May 2016
Perhaps the most gut-wrenching redshirt death I've ever seen. Bravo.
"I will become his world and will make him my world" - You really should know who said this.

"Firing at unarmed citizens is a feat that those without courage and a chivalrous spirit simply cannot accomplish." - Oskar von Reuenthal

"No way Spirited Away is better than Akira. NO WAY." - Kanye West
Nov 18, 2017 1:40 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Shocked said:
I'm not a fan of introducing characters just to kill them off within the span of a single character. I think if it wanted to have a greater impact, Fait should have been introduced much earlier on. Though, perhaps the intent wasn't to emphasize the death itself, as it might have distracted from the point the episode was trying to make: the main characters are becoming increasingly discontent with the nature and goal of the Nautilus. The issue isn't the fact that someone aboard the crew died, but the reactions to that death. I will note that it's curious to see the main character being the ones that visibly react to the death as opposed to the crew members themselves. They're instead stoic, which compares to the vengeful reactions the novel's crew would have expressed.

Also, regarding the death scene itself, I'm greatly impressed with how the anime handled it. Nothing is more impactful than what the viewer images themselves, so not showing Fait die worked really well in hammering in how harsh the scene was, both for the main characters and for the viewers. We can only guess at the effects of the toxins in how it killed Fait, and we only had sounds to go off of. There were also long pauses between lines of dialogue that echoed later uses in Evangelion which I really, really liked. Though, that ending scream greatly contrasted with Fait's previous words of reassurance, so I'm unsure of what happened there. Perhaps he was actually lying before about being okay with dying for the sake of the crew, it's hard to say. That, however, plays into how well that scene was executed. It could probably be read into all day.

I wholeheartedly agree with your take on this episode.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 27, 2018 8:25 AM

Nov 2011
This is the best episode so far, except for a few small forcing, the narration and the script are excellent, one of the best episodes of the entire history of Japanese animation. It is interesting the in-depth characterization done on the characters, makes them even more faceted.
May 4, 2018 5:17 PM

Nov 2013
RIP random guy with a name and two more no one cares about.
Jean's reaction was kinda overplayed.
May 21, 2018 6:27 PM

May 2012
This show really does properly showcase (or not) death of characters even if they didn't really had much screen time or any at all! Still pretty lovely!

Quite the interesting thing they discovered about the launch plate... but well with these amount of damages and crew loss, I do wonder what will happen next!
Sep 18, 2018 9:10 PM

Apr 2015
It was a little bit sad when Fait seemed to accept his death (he needed more than one episode's worth of screentime for me to care), but once he starting panicking the scene became dreadfully unsettling. When you see that everybody on the ship heard his desperate pleas and the doors were kept sealed it really drives home how grim the situation is.

Just what you'd expect from the master, Mr Anno. That part felt like a precursor to the descent arc.

LoveHaterSep 18, 2018 9:16 PM
Nov 9, 2018 2:33 AM

Mar 2014
I really wish they had introduced Fait earlier in the series, because then his death wouldn't have felt so forced.
Currently, I think that while the drama here was really well-executed, and made me sympathize with how the other characters must have felt in that situation, it's was still hard for me, as a viewer, to care... because I barely knew who Fait was and had no attachment to him.
::End of Transmission::

Feb 18, 2019 2:43 PM

Jan 2013
reminds me of that time when shinji tried to save his friend only to kill him with his own hands indirectly by his father ikari gendou issuing the command to use the dummy control system lol. however i already like blue water more than evangelion for the neo atlantans alone and the fact that itis more cohesive storywise.
Aug 31, 2019 2:48 PM

Aug 2017
Damn, I even teared up a bit at the end. The cast's reaction is pretty sad.
Apr 13, 2020 2:59 AM

Jan 2014
A pretty powerful episode with a hard decision of the needs of the many vs. the needs of the few and certainly an event our heroes will not soon forget!

Well I never knew that Jean's glasses gave him anime vision a very important fact ^-^ I did like how apologetic and sorry Nadia was for accidentally stepping on his glasses (I know that is common courtesy behavior but with Nadia's track record she needs all the points she can get XD). But, seriously she actually makes an argument this episode that was reasonable and was understandable based on her experiences; I agree with Nadia that just because something is convenient doesn't mean it is automatically a good thing and can lead to laziness and at the same time I agree with Jean that science can bring about happiness as well! Also, Nadia rejecting the flowers was understandable from her time with Lord Gargoyle and his artificial garden she sees that kind of power in man's hands as something twisted something wrong. Even though people like Jean and the crew would use such power for the benefit and beauty of mankind but her feelings towards this are not unreasonable a very welcome addition to previous stances she has taken. The fact Nadia was able to read that unknown language provides even more proof to what many have suspected about her past. Electra also makes an excellent point humans have a thirst and curiosity for knowledge but perhaps there are mysterious in this world mankind is better off not knowing.

But, the most hard hitting part of this episode would have to be the fate of Mr. Fait perhaps his line was foreshadowing his tragedy earlier in the episode: anything other than life can be replaced. Very true Mr. Fait I would rather lose things then lives any day but sadly in this instance a tough choice had to be made with only minutes to spare to save more lives. I agree with what others are saying that Mr. Fait's death would have been a bit more impactful if he had been introduced and had lines before this episode however, Shocked made a very great point how it is more about the reactions and feelings from this death our heroes experience rather then the death itself. That being said his death scene was very effective in getting one choked up; the fact we only heard his voice, him trying to put on a brave face and understanding this decision would cost the fewest lives and surprisingly in his last moments he broke down scared for his life and the fact that his time on this Earth was now to be severed off (I say surprising because usually in works of fiction a person who dies in this fashion keeps their brave face till the end but here I felt like it would be the reaction many regular people would have when faced with death) it was chilling and disheartening to say the least!

I understand Nadia's emotional outcry and being upset but Nemo is no murderer I am glad Grandis woke her up somewhat with a slap of reality because she is correct Nemo had to make that order to save the most amount of lives on his vessel from the poison gas and surfacing at that point is an impossibility; Nemo probably hates himself for such a call to be made. Also, I understand repairing the Nautilus quickly but the crew should have taken a moment of time to pay their respects to the deceased. I wonder how tensions will play out in future episodes as a result from this tragic event!

Certainly looking forward to the next chapter in this adventure.

Sep 3, 2020 2:40 PM
May 2020
Well, that was INTENSE! And, to think if they just knew that Nadia and Jean were aboard Fait (morbid humor of a name there) would not have died.
Jan 22, 2021 5:16 PM

Feb 2012
Damn, this was a tearjerker.

The needs of the many outweigh the needs of the few, or the one.
Gargoyle is sure dastardly, blame the deaths and sinking U.S. battleship on the Nautilus submarine when it was really his own submarine doing the attacks.

I was hoping Nemo would give in and raise the white flag, but I guess he'd never give the power of the Nautilus to the U.S. Navy. They never once tried to open communications, did they?

Nadia has to comes to terms with:
People eating dead animals.
Killing people in self-defense.
Letting people die if it could save more people.

Novels I have read/am reading pending approval: since November 10 2022
Jul 26, 2021 6:51 AM

Jul 2014
Is Nadia actually a teenager, or a five-year old? Seriously, how can she not understand that it's not about protecting the submarine so much as everyone inside it? How can she not understand that if the submarine is destroyed, everyone inside will die, not just Fait and the other redshirts? And then when she's rightly called out on her BS, she starts crying like a baby? Fuck you, Nadia, fuck you.

Jean's reaction is a fair bit more understandable, but still comes across as overblown when he only just met Fait a day or two before. It's pretty contrived for the show to try to make the viewer sad about his death when he was literally only just introduced this episode: if we'd known him since they first got on the Nautilus like Electra and some of the other recurring crew members, it could have been compelling rather contrived.
Jun 11, 2022 10:46 PM

Feb 2021
That slap was well deserved and long overdue
Oct 24, 2023 10:51 PM

Nov 2014
Strongest Evangelion vibes in Nadia so far, and perhaps not coincidentally also the best episode so far.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 39 Discussion ( 1 2 )

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

72 by integraiwakura »»
Mar 16, 9:52 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 35 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

21 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 10:59 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 34 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

35 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:51 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 33 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

32 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Nadia, the Secret of Blue Water Episode 32 Discussion

JTurner - Jan 17, 2008

20 by AzafuseKingTora »»
Mar 13, 8:22 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.