Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 31, 2014 8:59 AM
Jul 2013
Srsly whenever someone in an anime gets a cold he crashes and stays at home for a few days. Here in israel when you get a cold the pepole tell you to suck it up ( Which is what everyone do) and go to school because it aint that bad (because it really isnt)

So I was thinking. When they say "cold" do they really mean cold? or is it a translation problem? orthey mean a virus ( and a rather strong one ) because I dont think anyone will collapse from a simple cold.

So in short. In animes what do they mean by saying "cold"? And why is it so damn deadly that in a couple hours you will collapse???
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 31, 2014 9:02 AM

Feb 2010
TheReaper784 said:
Srsly whenever someone in an anime gets a cold he crashes and stays at home for a few days. Here in israel when you get a cold the pepole tell you to suck it up ( Which is what everyone do) and go to school because it aint that bad (because it really isnt)

So I was thinking. When they say "cold" do they really mean cold? or is it a translation problem? orthey mean a virus ( and a rather strong one ) because I dont think anyone will collapse from a simple cold.

So in short. In animes what do they mean by saying "cold"? And why is it so damn deadly that in a couple hours you will collapse???

Because japanese are weak-bodied?

Seriously, I don't know, it's probably a fetish thing. If in doubt, it's always a fetish.
I probably regret this post by now.

Mar 2012
Because if you don't take care of yourself, you die.

Jan 2013
Finally I get it.
Nagisa was suffering from a cold *victory pose*
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 31, 2014 9:04 AM

Jan 2013
yazio said:

Bullshit.
You only die when you get killed.
Kagami_Hiiragi said:
Idc if you think its weird, I have a life and friends and an income of money.

Mar 31, 2014 9:05 AM
Jul 2013
yazio said:

You know they dont cough blood right? They are simply really fucking weak and suddenly collapse. Which is dumb as fuck
Mar 31, 2014 9:07 AM
Nov 2008
the japanese believe in resting when you're ill as it detriments your ability to do work properly. even if you 'suck it up' you're not going to be at your optimum. it's a post-ww2 paradigm.
Mar 31, 2014 9:08 AM

Mar 2012
TheReaper784 said:
yazio said:

You know they dont cough blood right? They are simply really fucking weak and suddenly collapse. Which is dumb as fuck
That's just the bloodless variation.
Mar 31, 2014 9:09 AM

Apr 2011
I read somewhere that rain in Japan is a bit acidic, so that may have something to do with colds being "deadly".
Mar 31, 2014 9:11 AM

Mar 2014
I don't think it's a translation problem, cause 'kaze' translates only into 'cold'.
Maybe when they're struck with a 'cold', it probably means they have fever too, lol.
These japanese hardly every get sick and are eternally in the pink of health, so a cold could be thought of as something very dangerous, lol.
Mar 31, 2014 9:12 AM

Oct 2012
when you're wet, your body temperature can become lower due to the process of evaporation taking the heat away.

So when the air temperature around you is cold, then your body heat is already escaping through the air. Adding wet hair on top of that means that your body heat is being taken away even more.

When the body temperature drops, your immune system is actually affected greatly, which is what can cause people to be more susceptible to cold viruses.

Obviously you're not going to catch a cold immediately, but it's just a precaution.

It's kind of like how a lot of American people like to tell others to "keep warm" or "bundle up" during the winter time.
Mar 31, 2014 9:12 AM

Nov 2012
Yeah same here, I always wondered if people in Japan really stay in bed just because of a cold.
What I also see a lot in Japan real life (on tv) are people wearing masks on their noses/mouth.
Here nobody stays in bed because of a cold, neither have I ever seen in my entire life someone wearing those masks.
When I was a kid, my parents forced me to go to school even when I had a fever or other things worse than a cold, a cold would be the silliest of reasons to stay at home.
Mar 31, 2014 9:20 AM

Feb 2012
tiro_finale said:

When I was a kid, my parents forced me to go to school even when I had a fever or other things worse than a cold, a cold would be the silliest of reasons to stay at home.

Yeah. It's such a nice thing to infect all your classmates/coworkers. Because you're just so badass.
Mar 31, 2014 9:27 AM
Nov 2008
mecharobot said:
tiro_finale said:

Yeah. It's such a nice thing to infect all your classmates/coworkers. Because you're just so badass.
yes, i think the whole 'a cold means nothing' idea is stupid. a lot of other illnesses and diseases share common symptoms with a cold as well (in the early stages) - i always recommend staying at home (it's going to get better faster if you do so as well) and going to see a gp if it gets worse.
Mar 31, 2014 9:27 AM

Sep 2012
Its fun to joke about because it seems so stupid, but I'm pretty sure its a culture thing.

It's not that the cold is literally crippling, its just that the cultural response to cold symptoms is to rest it off (i.e., spend the day in bed), not continue to trudge through the day miserable as if you weren't even sick.
Mar 31, 2014 9:28 AM

Sep 2011
Here where I live people also stay home because they have a cold. It's not really weird XD Or I'm just used to seeing people catching colds and stays at home.
Mar 31, 2014 9:30 AM

Nov 2012
mecharobot said:
What kind of medical brainwashing show have you been watching? It doesn't catch like magic.
A cold doesn't stop people (and me) to talking to each other normally and people are still mostly safe, also when you leave with a cold you take some tissues to sneeze your nose in.
Hell, I myself catch a cold more easily by staying on the rain for a long time than to talking with people with a cold.
And even in the rare occasion someone catches a cold just by staying near you or talking to you, I don't think it'd still be a big deal.
I think because some group of societies isolate themselves so much against some kind of viruses, such as cold's, their immuno system isn't as strong against it as people who are more used to it.
Nothing badass about it stop being a pussy
Mar 31, 2014 9:31 AM

Dec 2012
Having a cold (aka being sick?) isn't deadly but it hurts and hurts, and you can't think of anything but the constant pain. At least, that's how I feel whenever i have a cold..
Mar 31, 2014 9:32 AM

Sep 2013
exaggeration maybe?
"I have been wielding a blade since before your were swimming around your father's scrotum." - Kurou
Mar 31, 2014 9:34 AM
Nov 2008
tiro_finale said:
mecharobot said:
What kind of medical brainwashing show have you been watching? It doesn't catch like magic.
A cold doesn't stop people (and me) to talking to each other normally and people are still mostly safe, also when you leave with a cold you take some tissues to sneeze your nose in.
And even in the rare occasion someone catches a cold just by staying near you or talking to you, I don't think it'd still be a big deal.
I think because some group of societies isolate themselves so much against some kind of viruses, such as cold's, their immuno system isn't as strong against it as people who are more used to it.
come on, that's just ignorance. there's a lot more to spreading around a cold (or flu) than sneezing.
Mar 31, 2014 9:35 AM

Mar 2009
Well I doubt it's just a normal cold what they have in anime.
It's more like a virus infection. You know, how they have a high temperature and are sweaty.
And your temperature can easily go up to 40°C if you have influenza.

The only thing that doesn't work out is how they get it, because usually they're in the cold, then they sneeze a bit and suddenly they lay in bed with high fever.
A "cold" in anime is just used for fanservice/romance purposes anyways.
And sometimes drama but those are quite rare.
Mar 31, 2014 9:38 AM

Nov 2012
Heredity said:
tiro_finale said:
mecharobot said:
come on, that's just ignorance. there's a lot more to spreading around a cold (or flu) than sneezing.
I didn't say it was, as I said, it is too hard to catch a cold from someone by simply talking. Maybe if you kiss that person...
Mar 31, 2014 9:44 AM

Feb 2012
Something i read a while ago, can't find a good source though, so there's no proof for that:
In many Real Life Cases, Dead from Cold is just a Code for an "improper" death, e.g. drug overdoses, suicides, yakuza-related deaths etc. If the family or some other people don't want the real cause of death to be known, most doctors will write Death from Cold into the Death Certificate and no further questions will be asked.
In 9/10 cases, the worst thing about an anime is its fandom.
Mar 31, 2014 9:47 AM

Mar 2009
Nucksen said:
Something i read a while ago, can't find a good source though, so there's no proof for that:
In many Real Life Cases, Dead from Cold is just a Code for an "improper" death, e.g. drug overdoses, suicides, yakuza-related deaths etc. If the family or some other people don't want the real cause of death to be known, most doctors will write Death from Cold into the Death Certificate and no further questions will be asked.
You're not wrong.
I've worked in an archive before and got in touch with archived death certificates. I was wondering why there were so many cases of "pneumonia".
Seems like pneumonia is just used as an excuse when the cause of death can't be determined.
Mar 31, 2014 10:03 AM

Apr 2013
Let me ask you something similar.
Why do RomComs/Drama describe love relationships so exaggerated?
Recently , I've watched eden of the east . It's on romance tag and yet it shows a more realistic romance than the shit RomComs throw at us.
"Love is a drug to our brain , it stops the thinking function and when you realize it wether you acomplish it or not you'll enter in one of the 3 withdrawal states : happy , sad or anger. Once this drug gets hold of you you'd better be prepaired beforehand." - Me
Mar 31, 2014 10:06 AM
Jul 2013
nucleon said:
Most likely translation problem or the author had the wrong idea. Which anime specifically? If the person gets fever and collapse, its likely to be influenza. In the old days they are not well-differentiated and maybe both called kaze. But nowadays, the public health education should have made them clear.

Influenza can kill a young man even now. The famous Hong Kong SARS, and the middle east influenza (MERS-CoV) and H9N7, H10N8 in China. Just last winter we saw a rise in H9N7.

Even if it does not kill, it's better to stay home. A severe case will feel like a combination of: dizziness, altered sensation of body parts such as the limbs feel light but lack of strength, difficult to concentrate, headache, muscle pain in addition to cough, sneeze and even diarrhoea.

Not specifically. Every anime. Its like the prime excuse for the char to get attention and stay at home

jayss said:
when you're wet, your body temperature can become lower due to the process of evaporation taking the heat away.

So when the air temperature around you is cold, then your body heat is already escaping through the air. Adding wet hair on top of that means that your body heat is being taken away even more.

When the body temperature drops, your immune system is actually affected greatly, which is what can cause people to be more susceptible to cold viruses.

Obviously you're not going to catch a cold immediately, but it's just a precaution.

It's kind of like how a lot of American people like to tell others to "keep warm" or "bundle up" during the winter time.

I know what a cold is. And I also know its not a big deal and I never met ANYONE
who caught a cold and stayed at home because of suspicion. And beside I dont mean a precaution. When they get a simple called the frigin faint! I was in much worse situation and got sickness's much worse then a cold and I never fainted!
Mar 31, 2014 10:55 AM

Sep 2012
There are mild colds and there are bad colds. Until you've had a bad one, don't judge.

Also, don't forget that the Japanese are a very germophobic people. So it shouldn't be a surprise that they'll focus on the worst case scenario when someone gets sick.
Somewhere, there is an unplugged toaster sitting on a Coleman stove.

Does it feel lonely?
Mar 31, 2014 10:57 AM

Apr 2012
When I was in 4th grade with 38 degrees of fever, I went to school and wrote an A on my german exam.
Now Im writing Fs while being completely healthy ^^.

But yeah it seems silly to stay in bed. Even when I have the harshest of colds I atleast am watching anime or gaming, I just cant sit in bed and do nothing.
Mar 31, 2014 11:01 AM

Nov 2013
Itsa plot device.
Mar 31, 2014 11:08 AM

Nov 2013
Colds are a metaphorical trope for Aids.
Mar 31, 2014 11:14 AM
Nov 2010
Stop walking around while sick. It doesn't help you nor does it help the people surrounding yourself.
Mar 31, 2014 11:19 AM
Jul 2018
Unless its a cold with tonsillitis and fever, then it's pretty serious.
Mar 31, 2014 11:28 AM
Jul 2013
DGemu said:
Itsa plot device.

Finally someone with a brain who actually said somthing LOGICAL
Mar 31, 2014 11:30 AM

Apr 2012
TheReaper784 said:
DGemu said:
Itsa plot device.

Thats just cheap tough. If it really has no logic behind it and is just a cheap plot device then I just hate it.
Mar 31, 2014 11:36 AM
Jul 2018
when i am caught in the rain nothing happens i dry my hair put on new clothes and get on with my day inside plus rare as hell to catch a flu or cold for me. I dunno they seem to over exaggerate ALOT in anime which is why some people like and some dont
Mar 31, 2014 11:45 AM

Jul 2013
baki502 said:
TheReaper784 said:
DGemu said:
Itsa plot device.

Thats just cheap tough. If it really has no logic behind it and is just a cheap plot device then I just hate it.

Yes it's lazy but it works I guess. Most shows (in general) that try to be complex on a medical level are horribly inaccurate anyway.
Mar 31, 2014 12:20 PM

Apr 2012
Because they all have the bird flu duh

Mar 31, 2014 12:30 PM

Aug 2013
And i think that in my country a cold is generally stupidly overlooked. No matter how soft the cold may be, you're always in risk if it decides to morph into a more dangerous illness. On top of that, it's not a nice thing spreading your virus to the ones around. So, undoubtedly, the best thing someone infected can do is staying at home. It's better for you and everyone who breathes the same air as yours.
Mar 31, 2014 12:31 PM
Jul 2018
Zeally said:
Because they all have the bird flu duh
S.A.R.S
Mar 31, 2014 12:39 PM

Feb 2014
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

Seriously, I don't know, it's probably a fetish thing. If in doubt, it's always a fetish.

This has to be the answer.
Mar 31, 2014 12:42 PM

Jun 2011
Colds are serious business, yo.
(I really don't get it either)

Mar 31, 2014 12:47 PM

Nov 2013
I have a cold now.They pussy.

I can see you

Mar 31, 2014 12:49 PM

Apr 2011
It might be a formal gesture to always remind someone that there's a possibility they'll catch a cold. I don't know, japanese people are weird.
Mar 31, 2014 1:53 PM
Jan 2014
the producers cant let them die from ebola, that would be ridicolous.
Mar 31, 2014 4:17 PM

Oct 2013
they're all pussies

Only stay home when i have diarrhea
Mar 31, 2014 4:21 PM

Mar 2014
cause they is too FABU to be working while Sh*t droops from there nostrils and shiz.

http://weknowmemes.com/generator/uploads/generated/g1326888865343564298.jpg
Mar 31, 2014 5:27 PM

Jun 2013
Anime is encouraging kids to skip school! You heard it here first, folks!
Mar 31, 2014 5:29 PM

Nov 2013
Don't underestimate the power of the common cold
Mar 31, 2014 8:11 PM
Nov 2008
tiro_finale said:
Heredity said:
tiro_finale said:
mecharobot said:
I didn't say it was, as I said, it is too hard to catch a cold from someone by simply talking. Maybe if you kiss that person...
you can't be being serious right now, lol.
Mar 31, 2014 8:13 PM

Apr 2012
nucleon said:
From the replies, many are not nearly close to know how to differentiate 'cold' vs 'flu'. Maybe there's a need to update the health education in their schools too.

Neither make me stay in bed, so yeah the question still stands.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Spring 2024 my fav anime lineup yet! What is your fav series that is going under the radar?

rohan121 - Yesterday

23 by EpicO4 »»
5 minutes ago

» Seeking Recommendations from My "Plan to Watch" List

vansonbee - 1 hour ago

5 by perseii »»
6 minutes ago

» Is it ok to finish anime you don't enjoy ? ( 1 2 )

Alpha_1_Zero - 10 hours ago

50 by IrrelevantGuy »»
9 minutes ago

Poll: » How important is the art style for you

nishant0 - Apr 11

42 by Pages_Pages »»
12 minutes ago

Poll: » Does your first ever favourite anime(s) still holds a place in your favs?

NubFix - Yesterday

45 by Oshieteoshiete4 »»
16 minutes ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.