Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 6, 2009 5:20 AM

May 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I really like the chemistry between them and the randomness of it all. Gonna look forward to the next season.
Nov 23, 2009 8:31 PM

Jan 2009
Had a nice finale. I'll probably watch the next season.
Dec 1, 2009 3:24 PM

Jun 2009
Really enjoyed this, wasn't the best anime ever but it was incredibly entertaining and, most importantly, fun. 8/10
Ston3_FreeN7Dec 1, 2009 6:27 PM
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Apr 6, 2011 3:37 PM

Dec 2008
I wasn't expecting a lot from this, despite how long I've known about it and how many times I've seen it mentioned and all, but I was pleasantly surprised. I found myself wanting to watch it when I was busy elsewhere, and out of all the series I've been watching recently, I got glued to Slayers instead.

I really loved all of the characters, got some great laughs, and enjoyed this epic final battle. I have a feeling I'll be remembering this one for a long time. 9/10.

Onto the next season!!
Jun 29, 2011 11:05 PM

Jan 2010
Knowing nothing about Slayers, this show surprised the hell out of me. The gags are funny, the battles are exciting, and while the cast is awesome, Lina sticks out as one of the best female leads I've seen in a long time. This show rocks, glad to have stumbled on it.
Oct 1, 2011 9:51 AM

Aug 2009
Just watched this season after 3 years. Still rocks. I just love the english dub. Don't know if i can rewatch this with japanese audio since it'll feel so different.
Jan 17, 2012 3:30 AM

Jul 2007
It was a fun little series, though definitely not my favorite. It lacked compelling villains and i guess the show had that sense of gag comedy to it. I am just not really a fan of gag comedy when there trying to showcase a more serous theme to the series. The first half was pretty well done, great music, Rezo was probably my favorite character in the whole show. But the 2nd half and the fake rezo was a very mediocre villain in my opinion and i didn't really care for his side kicks that much.

Also lina's personality i just couldn't get used to. Even during the most intense moments in the show, everything is a joke to her. Though honestly the episode were she finally got stabbed by the fake rezo. I was like "finally, some one shut her up lol" So definitely not my most favorite main character. How ever i did like some of the comedy, it was pretty hilarious, but i found my self laughing and rolling my eyes at some of the villains ridiculous antics and dialogue lines. So the show delivered comedy, but in a different way.

I have heard that the future seasons are alot better, so we will see.

6/10
ArtimesGamerJan 17, 2012 3:34 AM

Jun 26, 2012 11:34 PM

Jan 2011
When it was made, this show was probably a 9/10 and it has held up pretty well over the years. Of course the animation is starting to look a little dated and shortcuts taken by panning over a static scene to save costs don't match up to today's expectations, but it was still watchable. I'm going to give it a 7/10 largely because the arrival of the prince, the appearance of the second holy sword, and some of the other things that emerged in the second to last episode were a bit of an ass-pull. Otherwise it would have been an 8. It was fun, and I'll probably marathon the later series since we're coming up to a bit of a break between seasons.
Please don't feed the trolls!
In my next life I want to collide at the corner with the cute transfer student
carrying a piece of toast in her mouth
...rodac

Mar 15, 2013 8:03 AM

Jan 2012
Nice ending to a great season. Can't wait to start the next one.

Oct 13, 2013 4:26 PM

Jan 2013
Lol well it was worth re-watching it. And the nostalgy too... well I wont change the score it had.
9/10

Gonna re-watch the whole series.
Jun 5, 2015 12:44 PM

Jul 2014
If I watched it in 1995 I would gave it 9/10. But 20 years has passed and animation does not look so great anymore. But nonetheless a solid 8/10.
mozgowJun 7, 2015 3:40 AM
Jan 6, 2016 7:37 PM

Sep 2014
Welp. We've reached the end. And I gotta say I had fun watching these idiots do that thing they do.

Can't wait to dive into season 2 sometime later.

Ep: 5/5.

Overall: 8.1/10.

I go where I wanna go, even if its into Oppai.
Oct 21, 2016 10:47 AM

Sep 2014
I don't know how I feel about Copy Rezo turning all mushy, his motives were alright with wanting to surprass the original. But I never pictured him having an inferiority complex to the real rezo was the reason he was evil. So that came off pretty meh. Also sylphiel was sad over him, but he killed her father x.x

I do like the randomness, and the characters are a lot of fun. The story has a bit of asspulling when it comes to serious fights. Animation is alright although it really was dated.

I will watch the sequels some time soon. Overall liked it :)

I'd recommend Mob Pyscho 100 and Gintama for those who liked Slayers. Both MP 100 and Gintama do the serious and comedy mixture a lot better.
Feb 17, 2017 7:23 PM

Jun 2013
This was the bomb! and a great finale! 9/10!
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Mar 23, 2017 9:28 AM

Sep 2015
I thought this anime started strong, had some shit parts and really bored me for most of it. It had mediocre (maybe unfair given its age) animation, a dull repetitive story and static characters who go through the same beats ad infinitum. But despite that I still watched it all. Because sometimes it had the potential to be quite funny and even a little creative. Not always, hell not even often but sometimes. And while they were boring tropes the characters had a good chemistry which carried most of the show. I also thought the final arc with nise-Rezo was by far the best thing this first series did. For all the shit I talked, I didn't hate Slayers. I'd probably give it like a 7/10 closer to 5 or 6 before the last arc. Not sure if I'll watch the other series. I kind of just watched this one because I was bored and it was on Hulu. But who knows maybe in the future.
Sep 6, 2017 9:43 PM

Dec 2014
The thing I liked about this series was the main five, well less so Gourry and Sylphiel but the episodic SoL kind of episodes were my favorite. I never cared about the villains or them actually getting to their destination. I cared about the journey and the fun these characters had together. So every episode that was about fighting big bad guys were just boring to me. That's like half the series making this one a miss.

The whole last act made me want to fall asleep. I missed when they were on the road, being in plays, making Gourry play dress up, having Lina get married. Those were the episodes I enjoyed. Not them just chanting a bunch of spells one after the other. Oh well, I'm not going to watch the second season but I might check out the prequel just for the Ojousama girl.

5/10
Nov 7, 2017 1:37 PM

Jan 2011
While not the best anime or so, it was fairly entertaining, and it did quite a few things different from what i expected or what is common in anime.

People die if you kill them (implied with the villagers of the villages Lina destroyes with Dragon Slave etc., Bandits, Eris).

Taking is not a free action, at least not always. Both sides get interrupted in talking and casting spells repeatedly. Same goes for simply being distracted.

Chivalry is mostly dead, though the mostly female cast not getting attacked would be quite difficult to achieve in the first place. But i think neither villagers, bandits or monsters ever hesistated in attacking e.g. Amelia (Lina is a given).

Not all is applied consequently, but it suffers from far less tropes of this kind than most anime, be it from the 90s or now.
Nov 11, 2018 3:03 PM

Nov 2016
It's surprising that I actually enjoyed the episodic stuff more than the arcs. Well, character interactions and comedy are easily the best aspects of Slayers and there wasn't enough for me during the plot driven segements. Still gotta say that I liked the first big arc, while this one was rather so-so.

8/10 for most episodes 7/10 overall.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Dec 8, 2018 3:12 PM

Nov 2011
Mfw that fight was actually exciting. Deus ex machina or otherwise, that was a lot more fun/interesting to watch than seeing Lina fire off the Giga Slave again.

Fun series. Good comedy and likeable characters get a thumbs up from me.
Aug 5, 2019 6:37 PM

Oct 2015
I liked the reason Lina gave to copy Rezo why he lost, those were good words I even was surprised! Copy Rezo was really bent on surpassing the original and that was his downfall for me, he should've just focused on his future as Lina suggested. I was saddened that Sylphiel didn't get to join them in their adventure, but chose to stay behind and rebuild her city. I wonder what happened to her for Gourry, maybe she gave up after seeing him with Lina. I feel bad for Prince Phil whenever he encounters females who has this cliché noble image of a prince, and Sylphiel's reaction to him like Lina was priceless!

Overall it was alright. The problem was the mediocrity of the story, like i don't believe the original Rezo was the bad guy in my view. The guy just wanted to get his eyesight and would do anything to escape the darkness, I mean who wouldn't want to? The other is Lina's traveling with Gourry, I get it she wants the sword of light, but come on that's bull and I doubt it's love because she didn't mind it when he and Sylphiel were close. Gourry sucks in my view and didn't deserve to be one of the main characters, he was useless and has long hair. Also the show is full of too many gags to take it seriously. But I will watch season 2 maybe someday, just maybe though if I'm out of anime to watch or even remember it. I want to only know how will Zelgadis get his body back.

6/10
How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb --- Dr Strangelove

Oct 3, 2019 9:00 AM

Apr 2009
The three were actually capable of hurting a powered up Copy Rezo even without Lina by amplifying the Sword of Light with various magic effects. Very interesting!

Again I've just re-watched it because I was pissed with WatcMojo's Top 10 Craziest Anime Magic Battles on YouTube when Slayers wasn't even mentioned on it...and there it is, one crazy magic battle against Copy Rezo possessing Zanaffar's power, two magic swords; one readily amplified by various magic effects put into it, and another purpose built to seal and absorb a demon beast's miasma, a team of capable sorcerers and one swordsman, one giant holy tree to absorb and dispel said evil miasma, one justice after another! Eat your hearts out, WatchMojo!

Well I've got to admit, watched it for nostalgic sake as well. It has aged very well but still entertaining for me. 8/10
You see there's no need to wonder where your god is,
Coz he's right here! ...and he's fresh out of mercy.
May 13, 2020 12:44 AM

Aug 2016
bdsbff said:
The thing I liked about this series was the main five, well less so Gourry and Sylphiel but the episodic SoL kind of episodes were my favorite. I never cared about the villains or them actually getting to their destination. I cared about the journey and the fun these characters had together. So every episode that was about fighting big bad guys were just boring to me. That's like half the series making this one a miss.

The whole last act made me want to fall asleep. I missed when they were on the road, being in plays, making Gourry play dress up, having Lina get married. Those were the episodes I enjoyed. Not them just chanting a bunch of spells one after the other. Oh well, I'm not going to watch the second season but I might check out the prequel just for the Ojousama girl.

5/10

Couldn´t agree more on the matter. These type of "medieval fantasy" 90s anime only work when they dont take them too seriously and have instead lot of fun with their over the top character interactions. To make it worse, I watch 1 set of ovas and 1 movie involving this Naga girl and they were actually worst than the main series. If you want, you can try them, but they are not funny enough and the Ojousama girl is just a waste of potential, wich sucks because those 90s designs makes you want to like them.
:v
Jan 1, 2021 4:52 AM

Apr 2013
For an old anime which I have a hard time liking all that much, it actually was pretty good. I would've wished for another enemy in the second half then a demon-possessed Rezo AGAIN though, made the whole thing a bit boring to watch. 6/10
Nov 4, 2021 9:24 PM
Jul 2018
Surprisingly really had more fun with this show than I expected especially I thought I would be distracted by the bad art but the show had really good retro charm packs with great comedy and characters and start to had blast with the show once they grew on me.
Plot-wise, I think the show is better off when it does resolves around sillier conflict (which was the case for the most part) and only very few times serious plot can really work well like the first Rezo's fight was pretty fantastic but on the contrary, the last arc felt weaker as it felt like similar to the other (the buildup part was going great).
Nov 7, 2022 8:49 PM

May 2019
Great balance of comedy, adventure and interesting characters with unique idiosyncrasies. Fantasy elements mixed with lightheartedness makes this anime pretty fun.
Mar 18, 2023 4:10 PM
Apr 2015
lihle808 said:
I liked the reason Lina gave to copy Rezo why he lost, those were good words I even was surprised! Copy Rezo was really bent on surpassing the original and that was his downfall for me, he should've just focused on his future as Lina suggested. I was saddened that Sylphiel didn't get to join them in their adventure, but chose to stay behind and rebuild her city. I wonder what happened to her for Gourry, maybe she gave up after seeing him with Lina. I feel bad for Prince Phil whenever he encounters females who has this cliché noble image of a prince, and Sylphiel's reaction to him like Lina was priceless!

Overall it was alright. The problem was the mediocrity of the story, like i don't believe the original Rezo was the bad guy in my view. The guy just wanted to get his eyesight and would do anything to escape the darkness, I mean who wouldn't want to? The other is Lina's traveling with Gourry, I get it she wants the sword of light, but come on that's bull and I doubt it's love because she didn't mind it when he and Sylphiel were close. Gourry sucks in my view and didn't deserve to be one of the main characters, he was useless and has long hair. Also the show is full of too many gags to take it seriously. But I will watch season 2 maybe someday, just maybe though if I'm out of anime to watch or even remember it. I want to only know how will Zelgadis get his body back.

6/10
original rezo just wanting to get his eyesight back but willing to go extreme measures for it is honestly what made him interesting to me, copy rezo was kinda meh though.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Slayers Episode 1 Discussion

Cookie-chan- - Jul 17, 2008

45 by PugPun »»
Apr 8, 3:26 PM

» Does Slayers still have a fanbase?

RaltsPokemon - Oct 27, 2023

8 by Ade117 »»
Feb 19, 8:22 PM

Poll: » Remake version

DrPopCat7758 - Oct 14, 2023

4 by kihel »»
Oct 24, 2023 11:46 PM

Poll: » Slayers Episode 24 Discussion

daemonraco - Oct 2, 2011

14 by Wrongthinker »»
Aug 2, 2023 12:07 AM

Poll: » Slayers Episode 23 Discussion

DarkBlue - Jul 29, 2009

15 by Wrongthinker »»
Aug 1, 2023 10:42 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.