Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Fullmetal Alchemist
Available on Manga Store
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »
Apr 18, 2015 7:01 AM

Apr 2013
Can't Scar just die already? He's so annoying -_-
Jul 17, 2015 12:59 PM

Jun 2015
Gator said:
Can't Scar just die already? He's so annoying -_-

+1
Jul 24, 2015 1:48 PM

Oct 2014
The transition from Winry crying into the ED with "Let it all out, let it all out" was amazing, they did an awesome job with that! Good relationship building moment too, along with Ed jumping in front of Winry (also Scar's face when he realized he was now the person in the state alchemist's shoes in that situation was powerful.

Very emotional though, it made it easier to sympathize with Scar after seeing his backstory. I can see why he thinks the way he does after that.

Seemed a little too convenient that Winry would arrive right as Ed was saying that Scar killed her parents, but it still worked.

Also, Ling and his friend trying to escape from Bradley and Gluttony should be interesting.
jdimaria3Jul 24, 2015 1:53 PM
Aug 2, 2015 12:02 PM

Jul 2013
Man, I feel really bad for Winry having to discover that Sacr was the one who killed her parents, and boy I hope Ling and Lan Fan are able to escape safely.
Aug 26, 2015 12:43 PM

Jul 2009
I hate Bradley...
We were able to finally see Scar's brother and also when Scar killed Winry's parents =/
I like how Ed was worried about Winry and protected her and also told her that her hands were not made for killing, but for saving! I love them!
Dec 11, 2015 4:20 PM
Nov 2014
Back story was extremely good, this episode was very good.

ED song is so fitting for this episode.
Dec 24, 2015 6:41 AM

Nov 2011
I would say that so far the story is progressing well and I like that in this series there are more explanations and the characterization was carried out intelligently. Drawings and animations good, although I preferred the FMA. Interesting and well done the clash between King Bradley and Ling.
Jan 13, 2016 6:31 PM

Jul 2013
Hmm so Winry finally know which person killed her parents. It was really sad to see her like that but I'm glad that Ed protected her. Also nice to see something of the back story of Ishdal and how Scar got the arm of his brother.

The EdxWin moment was nice even if we couldn't see to much. Looking forward to the next episode.

Mar 7, 2016 1:04 PM

Jan 2010
jdimaria3 said:
The transition from Winry crying into the ED with "Let it all out, let it all out" was amazing

that!

such a beautiful episode...i noticed a pattern, for every 5 episodes there's one really touching...like this one

5/5
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Jan 28, 2017 2:22 AM

Jan 2016
Winry's breakdown was intense af
And i just can't see Scar as a bad guy
i mean, he's not someone with bullshit "want to dominate the world" or "we need to destroy so we can rebuild" reasons
His people didn't deserved to be annihilated, and before he lost his family and friends he also tried to convince them that fighting back with more killing wouldn't get them anywhere
Mar 1, 2017 7:09 PM

Jun 2013
The emotions portrayed are so powerful! This show is just too good.
"The will to live is stronger than anything else"
Mar 9, 2017 10:16 PM

Jul 2015
Just a few more seconds of this episodes and I'd be bawling my eyes out.. damn that was sad.

caught in the wonder
Apr 9, 2017 10:24 AM

May 2016
Amazing episode loved it so much.
Jul 6, 2017 1:51 PM

Jun 2017
What Ed told Winry at the end was so touching and true and Winry crying was so heartbreaking ;-;
Feb 4, 2018 7:51 AM

Sep 2017
Awesome stuff between the Elrics, Winry and Scar, but for some weird reason I was more concerned about Ling and Lan Fan than the main characters, and wanted to get back to their situation. Maybe because I was more confident the MC's would make it through ok..

Next episode I suppose
Feb 19, 2018 12:13 AM

Jul 2015
Got to see a more detailed backstory of scar. It's awful to see the citizens wanting to use the brother's knowledge to use in war. Scar was changed by this event.
Winry and Scar are both broken people, i really sympathize with them. Great episode overall.
Mar 13, 2018 1:48 PM

Dec 2009
This episode elevated my entire opinion of this anime.

Ed stopping Winry and the hug afterwords was extremely touching. Combine that with the stark contrast between Ed's metal hand with Winry's flesh, it created a powerful image.

Wow.
Oct 19, 2018 7:40 PM
Jul 2018
Ed: your hands are not hands that kill others. they're hands that give life to others.
Winry: *sobbing*

*ending song starts playing* "let it all out, let it all out"
perfect.
Dec 19, 2018 6:46 PM
Jun 2014
So Winry goes to the location where they're fighting with what in mind exactly? To help them fight? Then, even if she didn't know Scar killed her parents, her aim in this situation was to help and so she should have shot him. Otherwise, the whole scene is completely contrived and unnecessary. Knowing that he killed her parents and has killed countless others and is still going to kill more people means she still should have shot him. Her helping hands has let a mass murderer get away so he can kill more people. Are we meant to believe that she was going there to just watch them fight? Because that would make her incredibly stupid and a liability. I can't believe how stupid that whole scene was.
Dec 19, 2018 6:52 PM

Nov 2018
myronator said:
So Winry goes to the location where they're fighting with what in mind exactly? To help them fight? Then, even if she didn't know Scar killed her parents, her aim in this situation was to help and so she should have shot him. Otherwise, the whole scene is completely contrived and unnecessary. Knowing that he killed her parents and has killed countless others and is still going to kill more people means she still should have shot him. Her helping hands has let a mass murderer get away so he can kill more people. Are we meant to believe that she was going there to just watch them fight? Because that would make her incredibly stupid and a liability. I can't believe how stupid that whole scene was.

Uh, she was looking for the brothers because she was worried about them, not helping them. We're to believe in this moment that Winry was never able to kill because of her nature and Ed showed us why.

EDIT: The time you never kill and wish to do so while your gun is on your hands is like stepping into another world of unknown and that's fear and hatred coming in mixed and running at the same time.
yuccasnpkDec 19, 2018 6:57 PM
Dec 19, 2018 9:38 PM
Jun 2014
yuccasnpk said:
myronator said:

Uh, she was looking for the brothers because she was worried about them, not helping them. We're to believe in this moment that Winry was never able to kill because of her nature and Ed showed us why.

EDIT: The time you never kill and wish to do so while your gun is on your hands is like stepping into another world of unknown and that's fear and hatred coming in mixed and running at the same time.

Looking for them while knowing they're in a fight to the death against a mass murdering alchemist with no plan to help out sounds incredibly stupid to me.
Dec 19, 2018 10:21 PM

Nov 2018
myronator said:

Looking for them while knowing they're in a fight to the death against a mass murdering alchemist with no plan to help out sounds incredibly stupid to me.

If you're her, I bet she will shoot without hesitation. A kind-hearted girl who just found out the idea of her parents' killer and just entered into the world of pain and revenge shoved right to her is a shock psychologically speaking. Well, I too would shoot him straight away if I am her since I've played Counter Strike since I was small. The difference between era I say.
Jan 11, 2019 11:59 PM

Jun 2015
the ending song went so well with winry crying, brilliant
Jan 19, 2019 5:04 AM

Oct 2015
Everyone involved in Ishvalan Civil War (Or rather massacre) should be considered war criminals as far as I'm concerned. Scar wasn't in his right mind, having been through hell but it is unfortunate that Rockbell couple was killed in the process.

Winry's moment was powerful but at the same time quite convenient.

Still, I'm more interested in Ling and Lan Fan. I swear if they're killed off I'll be very angry.

4/5
Jan 20, 2019 3:58 PM

Oct 2013
Epic fight with Scar! Really, effects are one thing, but great direction is another. :-)

Poor Winry, but at least she learned the truth about her parents and how Scar was involved in their death.
Apr 4, 2019 12:37 AM

May 2016
Ling Yao and Ran Fan put up a really good fight against Wrath but his Ultimate Eye's making things very complicated for them.

Scar, who was overcome by his wrath towards Amestrians for murdering hundreds of his defenseless countrymen and having his family killed by a State Alchemist right before his very eyes, was overwhelmed by the presence of his brother's arm right where his own arm should be and thought that the Rockbells desecrated his brother's corpse because he didn't know what he was doing before he came to. Even if the situation wasn't exactly clear cut, the fact remains that he killed Winry's parents who only tried to help and she had every right to avenge them.

In the end, Winry couldn't take a life no matter how hard she tries and it should stay that way. She's one of the few character whose hands are still clean after all.

Aug 24, 2019 2:24 AM
Aug 2019
Scar's backstory is revealed.
He lost his brother and gained his arm, overcome with grief he killed the Rockbell doctors

Poor Winry tried to kill Scar but couldn't
Nov 5, 2019 12:10 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Such a touching episode, Scar has an interesting backstory.
Nov 13, 2019 4:51 PM

Nov 2017
War, huh! What is it good for? Absolutely nothing!

Anyway, I REALLY enjoy this episode. Definitely one of the strongest ones.

The fight between Ling and Bradley was great. And this is the first time in Brotherhood you get to see the former's fighting skills. I also like the dialogue they have. Bradley tells him he would have a better chance of escaping if he dropped the "luggage" (Lan Fan). But Ling refuses 'cause "A king's duty is to his people. Without them he is no king at all." I like that kind of philosophy tbh, it comes off as very noble/laudable. Bradley curtly replies saying it's naïve.

Winry gets screen time and I like her development here. Her visit to Hughes' grave always makes me sad. It's like, you could be talking to someone one day and everything seems peachy. Then the next thing you know they passed away. :-(

Now she hears some talk on the streets about the Elric brothers fighting. She obviously doesn't want the last memory she has of them being the image of their backs (like it was for her parents). Unfortunately when she finds them, she also finds out who killed her parents, Scar!

Seeing her upset made me feel upset lol. Scar acknowledges that she has the right to shoot him. But if she does, he'll consider her an enemy. The cycle of revenge will never be broken unless one of them is dead!

I find Scar hesitating to kill Ed as he protects Winry to be a wonderful moment. Just as his brother protected someone he loved (him), here is Ed protecting someone he loves. I know FMA touches on a lot of moral topics. It's like, wow why are people killing each other and treating others poorly? At the end of the day, people who are different from me still have family and friends who love them just like I have family and friends who love me. And of course, Scar's backstory is great.

But my favourite part of the episode is when Ed comforts Winry. She's frustrated that she couldn't shoot Scar. But Ed tells her hands weren't made for taking life from others, but giving life to others! They're just emotionally honest with each other. She bursts into tears and this is the first time she's crying not for someone else, but herself. And the ED "Let It Out" just transitions so perfectly.

The first lyrics are "Let it all out". Mayne, the staff knew what they were doing! I love it!
Mar 20, 2020 6:45 PM

Feb 2020
a nice mix of character development and action! ling vs bradley was great but too short for my liking, especially now that we are finally seeing ling fight. also i think scar's flashbacks should have happened before winry pointed the gun at him, it undermined a lot of the tension of that moment. but generally, a solid ep!
Oct 3, 2020 8:28 PM
May 2020
I really like this episode.It's Very intense when Winry finds out about her parent's death.
Nov 7, 2020 4:25 AM
Mar 2020
WHAT! what an epic episode, Ed and Al's fight with Scar, the "fight" at the beginning and the biggest plot twist of that episode that was the heavyweight of scar and the murder of Winry's parents, MY GOD!
Nov 11, 2020 7:20 PM

Jul 2017
Winry finds about the person who murdered her parents during the Ishval war, who is confirmed to be Scar (who was even helped by the Rockbells with being treated before he murdered them in a fit of rage over the loss of his brother in the war).

Glad Ed tried to protect Winry and glad to see Winry not shoot either. Ed said it perfectly when he spoke about how her hands were made for helping and giving life and hope to others, not ending and killing others. She does have a heart of gold like her parents when it comes to being there for people.
Dec 24, 2020 7:27 AM

Aug 2017
I think Edward underestimates Scar if he thinks the military is going to kill with one shot lol. Also, I honestly don't blame Scar or Winry for the situation they're going through. Scar has just witnessed the massacre of his family and Ishvalans and of course angry at the invaders so his anger is justified with the invaders -guilty or not- but the series doesn't make him look bad either since that was an anger in the moment. Winry is hurt since her parents were just healing Ishvalans and they had nothing to do with the genocide. I dislike the moment anyway, Winry conveniently arrives at the scene where Ed is telling Scar about the death of Winry's parents and the gun is next to her.

Still 4/5
All weebs creatures of the galaxy, hear this message. Those of you who listen will not be struck by western animation. You will no longer know hunger, nor pain. Your Anime have come to lead you now. Our strength shall serve as a luminous sun toward which all intelligence may blossom. And the impervious shelter beneath which you will prosper. However, for those who refuse our offer and cling to their western animation ways… For you, there will be great wrath.
Feb 16, 2021 5:49 AM

Jul 2020
another great episode!!

I feel so bad about Winry :( Well I can't really blame her even if she pulled the trigger
Jun 29, 2021 5:15 AM

Jun 2021
nice episode.single word
Nov 27, 2021 1:03 PM

Aug 2019
God I hated this episode so much even now. I hate when anime or any series in general try to redeem a character by showing their sad backstory as if that changes anything. At the end of the day Scar's still a murderer who doesn't deserve sympathy imo.

Winry was the worst part of this episode though. I don't understand how a woman was able to create this series and give us strong female characters like Izumi and Riza, while also giving us one of the most annoying and weak female characters in all of anime. I'm sick of Winry's constant crying.
Dec 8, 2021 10:42 AM
Nov 2020
The episode where Scar realizes he's become what he hates.
Feb 24, 2022 3:12 PM

Feb 2021
This was one of my favorite episodes back when I was younger and I can't help but agree this episode was really well done. Even through it's not an original concept it's still interesting to think about the cycle of conflict and how Scar needs to for himself to accept the fact that he must endure rather than continue giving into hate. Only complaint was that Winry running into them in the middle of their battle right when they were monologuing about her parents did feel too convenient imo like the story was trying to force this scene

I still prefer Scar's backstory in 2003 since
was much more interesting to me, although this was still good. Definitely the best ep I've seen from this show so far
May 7, 2022 12:18 PM
Apr 2022
Sad episode but i still hate scar
Aug 9, 2022 11:02 AM
May 2017
Me sad. Episode good.
Aug 26, 2022 8:58 PM
Aug 2021
bom demais muito bom
Sep 28, 2022 10:29 AM
Aug 2022
scars cool as fuck
Oct 24, 2022 3:29 AM
May 2020
This episode was phenomenal, Scar's backstory was incredible. My favorite episode so far
Dec 24, 2022 1:57 PM
Dec 2017
my favorite so far
Dec 30, 2022 8:05 AM
Sep 2021
aw winry and Edward :(
Jan 3, 2023 4:21 AM
Jul 2018
this episode is great
Feb 11, 2023 6:31 AM
Dec 2020
So Dio was a good brother/s
Pretty good episode
Apr 14, 2023 3:16 AM
Apr 2023
Nice episode vvvvv
Apr 14, 2023 12:13 PM
Jan 2022
trash , fans very toxic
Pages (5) « First ... « 2 3 [4] 5 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Ahenshihael - Jun 21, 2009

175 by JoeyBadaSS »»
Apr 15, 8:13 PM

» Is FMAB worth watching after FMA?

xXCaptainJXx - Apr 6

38 by aleinam »»
Apr 15, 7:13 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 40 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

removed-user - Jan 17, 2010

207 by TheStarscream759 »»
Apr 14, 5:51 PM

Poll: » Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

Ahenshihael - Jun 7, 2009

343 by Nicolay18 »»
Apr 13, 1:34 AM

» Why doesn’t Lust show more lust? ( 1 2 )

lordJahoo - Apr 2

50 by Skylar-whoo »»
Apr 11, 6:58 AM

Preview MangaManga Store

It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.