Forum Settings
Forums

Chinese Studio Admits They Plagiarized 5cm Per Second

New
Sep 4, 2009 8:07 PM

Feb 2008
According to Record China, Liuzhou Lan Hai technologies Ltd. admitted that they have plagiarized part of Shinkai Makoto's anime movie "5 Centimeters per Second" for their new anime "心霊之窓 (Window of the heart)". The spokesperson claimed they failed to find out their subcontractor's misappropriation.

Source: Record China

"Window of the heart" has been aired in China since this August and its close resemblance to 5cm Per Second provoked international criticism.

Comparison between "Window of the heart" and "5cm Per Second"
dtshykSep 4, 2009 9:08 PM
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 4, 2009 8:08 PM

Feb 2008
Could you someone help me to translate 藍海科技 and 心霊之窓 in alphabet? Done! thanks
dtshykSep 4, 2009 9:10 PM
Sep 4, 2009 8:15 PM
Nov 2008
China must be the craddle of plagiarism. xD

"Play Creation", "Poly Station"...and more stuff like that. xD
Sep 4, 2009 8:31 PM

Nov 2007
Close resemblance doesn't even begin to describe that bastardisation of an 'anime' they shat out of their creative behinds. I guess even they cannot defend themselves when the evidence is as clear as day.
Sep 4, 2009 8:34 PM

Oct 2008
Wow... looks so alike!
Sep 4, 2009 8:40 PM

Sep 2007
中国のオリジナルアニメ
More like:
中国の"オリジナル"アニメ
Sep 4, 2009 8:44 PM

Oct 2007
LOL china u srs?

It would be more of a surprise at this point if they did something original.
Sep 4, 2009 8:56 PM

Sep 2009
Hi in new here and i dint kwno china made anime xD i thougt only japan did :O i was gonna watch that movie but now it has let me down... no point on seeing a plagiarized movie... by the way what other countries make anime ( good and original anime not bs) :O

Sep 4, 2009 8:58 PM

Feb 2008
What the fuck, no.

(Rotating Signature | Member Cards are fun~)

[Notes on Signature]124 - 172 KB, Width: 140px

Sep 4, 2009 9:03 PM

Aug 2007
I can't bring myself to read the whole article with the pictures. This doesn't happen often but I have never been more ashamed to be Chinese...

dtshyk said:
Could you someone help me to translate 藍海科技 and 心霊之窓 in alphabet?

藍海科技 = Lan2 hai3 ke1 ji4 (Lanhaikeji I guess)
Sep 4, 2009 9:04 PM

Apr 2008
dtshyk said:
Could you someone help me to translate 藍海科技 and 心霊之窓 in alphabet?

Lan Hai technologies (or Blue Ocean depending on whatever you wanna do)

and "Window of the heart"
Sep 4, 2009 9:05 PM

Aug 2007
right that too
Sep 4, 2009 9:08 PM

Feb 2008
Thanks, kevo and infinite_zero!
Sep 4, 2009 9:12 PM
Sep 4, 2009 9:15 PM

Feb 2008
wow this is funny.... even high school kids know not to do this since the advent of Google! i can imagine a scene or two but they basically took the whole thing.
Sep 4, 2009 9:15 PM

Jun 2009
you should've seen one of their hit movie... roughly translate as "stay in contact"

it's the exact copy of Hollywood movie Cellular.

broken phone, check
random phone call using wires, check
innocent guy caught in all this, check
finally believe the victim, check
go to school to save victim's child, check
fail to save, check
drive other car, check
cellphone ran out of battery and rob a cellphone store for a charger/battery with a gun, check

check check check...
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2009 9:16 PM

Aug 2008
LMAO... I was looking at the images. I gotta say, that's pretty funny.
Sep 4, 2009 9:21 PM

May 2008
reminds me of the whole Jungle Emperor/Lion King fiasco, but even more obvious.

I am a banana.
Sep 4, 2009 9:22 PM

Apr 2008
Speaking of Jungle Emperor, less than 8 hrs till the new series airs :D
Sep 4, 2009 9:41 PM

Jan 2008
lol at least try not to make it so obvious xp

Sep 4, 2009 10:14 PM

May 2009
infinite_zero said:
Speaking of Jungle Emperor, less than 8 hrs till the new series airs :D

Aww shit. Whos subbing it?
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2009 10:24 PM

Apr 2008
O_O
Sep 4, 2009 10:42 PM

Jun 2009
ShootTheBullet said:
I've been reading about this all over the place. China's animation industry works like airliner maintenance: people are severely underpaid and overworked but fear losing their jobs, so they just get it done, quality be damned.

Well, what do you expect in a totalitarian free-market society. The government will immediately take the side of the company if there is any attempt at change in the workplace. It was just like the US during the Industrial Revolution, except the government lacks the ability to change (compared to the US). So its going to be like that for a long time. Also, since its founded as a communist nation, there are no copy-right laws so it is legal there. Hell, the entire world is fucked because of that rule and anything digital could pass through China and (you get the picture).

By the way, the Chinese government is worse then Scientology. Suppressing and brainwashing the people, imposing the Han culture on the minorities (aka Tibet and the Muslims in western China), monitoring religions, no-copy right laws (though the US's does need to be revamped), no rights, the environment, how much they care about their image while everyone knows how much shit goes on (probably the most disgusting part), god I could go on and on.
"In the Beginning, the creative energy radiates from within."
-
No, no. That's Lame. Sounds like something out of a Jodorowsky comic.

The Tokusyu Manga Club - Features alternative comics/avant-garde comics/outsider comics/psychdelic comics/surrealistic comics/underground comics + La Nouvelle Manga (part of Alternative).

If I'm here, its because I have nothing better to do.
Sep 4, 2009 10:58 PM

May 2007
From the company that brought you the Vii...
My anime list
Sep 4, 2009 11:10 PM

Apr 2008
Dont really expect anything less from them~
Sep 5, 2009 12:15 AM

Jan 2009
o_O

Sep 5, 2009 12:40 AM
Anime DB Admin
BACK FOR MORE?

Jan 2007
Lol, keep it, China. What's gonna get copied next?

staff.applications  
guidelines.faq 

report.abuse  

thx.skittles  
thx.kina 

[H+] ³  
Sep 5, 2009 12:49 AM

Dec 2007
AirStyles said:
you should've seen one of their hit movie... roughly translate as "stay in contact"

broken phone, check
fail to save, check
drive other car, check
cellphone ran out of battery and rob a cellphone store for a charger/battery with a gun, check

check check check...

That's a licensed remake. Not unlike The Departed(an example of the other direction). Not to mention it's Hong Kong so the China copyright issues are still there...
Sep 5, 2009 1:01 AM

May 2009
so_addictive said:
LOL china u srs?

Sadly...
Sep 5, 2009 1:23 AM

Jun 2009
Ottocycle said:
AirStyles said:

broken phone, check
fail to save, check
drive other car, check

check check check...

That's a licensed remake. Not unlike The Departed(an example of the other direction). Not to mention it's Hong Kong so the China copyright issues are still there...

Oh woops... my bad :p
Sep 5, 2009 1:38 AM
Apr 2008
Gotta love China.
Sep 5, 2009 1:41 AM

Jul 2008
They completely fucked up the art lol
Sep 5, 2009 2:20 AM
Oct 2008
So pathetic -.-
Sep 5, 2009 2:52 AM

May 2008
That's ridiculously plagiarized, and it doesn't even look as good as Shinkai's beautiful artwork. Does anyone actually know the plot?
Sep 5, 2009 2:54 AM

Apr 2009
Objection!
I demand justice!
Sep 5, 2009 3:02 AM

Oct 2008
Wow! That is totally similar... you just can't hide it!
tho' manga plagiarized is common, this is the first time I heard about anime in this situation.. D8
心の闇は、もう消えない
Sep 5, 2009 3:46 AM

Feb 2009
I saw the pictures and they basically just redesigned the art. Totally took it from the original really.

And they have no exscuses such as "well there are no more original stories left to do" either.
Sep 5, 2009 4:01 AM
Jul 2018
Sorry to say this but for me, China's so-called 'anime' are just like cartoon.
Sep 5, 2009 4:16 AM

Jan 2008
another thing that is "MADE IN CHINA"
they can copy anime too.. i'm just amazed..

Sep 5, 2009 6:12 AM

Feb 2009
oh wow.
Sep 5, 2009 6:26 AM
Apr 2009
I don't care if China is communist or if it doesn't have copyright laws. They're still copying out of somebody's art and that is morally disgusting. Period.
Sep 5, 2009 7:01 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Anime industry in China is not going to get any better soon...

On the other hand, the manga industry is progressing and promising authors are surfacing....

Pierre_Bezukhov said:

Well, what do you expect in a totalitarian free-market society. The government will immediately take the side of the company if there is any attempt at change in the workplace. It was just like the US during the Industrial Revolution, except the government lacks the ability to change (compared to the US). So its going to be like that for a long time. Also, since its founded as a communist nation, there are no copy-right laws so it is legal there. Hell, the entire world is fucked because of that rule and anything digital could pass through China and (you get the picture).

By the way, the Chinese government is worse then Scientology. Suppressing and brainwashing the people, imposing the Han culture on the minorities (aka Tibet and the Muslims in western China), monitoring religions, no-copy right laws (though the US's does need to be revamped), no rights, the environment, how much they care about their image while everyone knows how much shit goes on (probably the most disgusting part), god I could go on and on.

First, I find it tiresome that people who probably never went to China or lived there talk about the country as if they knew everything. What you said is mostly correct, if you look at it from a perspective. However, I would say that these issues are more in the gray zone and not purely black or white.

Shit goes on in every country. I don't believe China is actually worse...It could be A LOT worse (believe me, if the Cultural Revolution didn't end...) than the current situation and you have to be thankful that it isn't...As for copyright laws, well, they exists, but are severely flawed...

The major concerns of the country is corruption and moral level of some portion of the population (I say portion, because you CANNOT generalize any stereotypes)

Again, China is being demonized by other countries. Yes, things are not pretty and it's bad, but it's not THAT bad.
wakka9caSep 5, 2009 9:41 AM
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 5, 2009 7:03 AM

Feb 2009
Urgh, I'm Chinese and I'm ashamed to see that. Downright disgusting, and so darn obvious.
Sep 5, 2009 7:06 AM
Observer

Nov 2007
Snowflakes said:
Urgh, I'm Chinese and I'm ashamed to see that. Downright disgusting, and so darn obvious.

You need not to ashamed. The ones responsible for this are.
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 5, 2009 7:12 AM

May 2008
Wow....
Who knew that you could plagiarize so muchf rom a movie xD

Music is from the soul~ ♥
Sep 5, 2009 7:20 AM

May 2008
plagiarism is spreading like a God damn plague these days..

Sep 5, 2009 7:36 AM

Aug 2008
wakka9ca said:
Anime industry in China is not going to get any better soon...

On the other hand, the manga industry is progressing and promising authors are surfacing....

They're not going to truly progress until they rid the likes of these people from their ranks. Even the Japanese industry has killed the career of people accused of copying/tracing (Nitta Youka being a recent one). The industry needs to protect its credibility as a whole.
Sep 5, 2009 7:57 AM

Jan 2008
so_addictive said:

Sep 5, 2009 8:00 AM

Jan 2009
ohh they admit it at last :/
Sep 5, 2009 8:48 AM

Jul 2008
Tsk tsk
Shame...
This topic has been locked and is no longer available for discussion.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

» Manga 'Ninja to Koroshiya no Futarigurashi' Gets Anime

Vindstot - Yesterday

30 by RobertBobert »»
10 minutes ago

» 'Suki demo Kirai na Amanojaku' Reveals Additional Cast, Trailer

Hyperion_PS - 28 minutes ago

0 by Hyperion_PS »»
28 minutes ago

» 'Mahoutsukai no Yakusoku' Announces Production Staff, Cast

DatRandomDude - 46 minutes ago

0 by DatRandomDude »»
46 minutes ago

» Original Anime Movie 'A New Dawn' Announced for 2025

DatRandomDude - Yesterday

3 by Etherius_ZS »»
3 hours ago

» 'Yuri!!! on Ice: Ice Adolescence' Anime Movie Cancels Production ( 1 2 )

DatRandomDude - Apr 18

97 by Nanaca »»
8 hours ago
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.