Forum Settings
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2009 6:02 PM

Jun 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
That was pretty sweet, a nice mix of comedy and action. Cashman...now THERE is a super hero name for ya!

I find it sad that so many of Akira Toriyama's other titles will forever live in the shadows of his more popular stuff. :(
Sep 27, 2009 3:59 PM

Apr 2009
Yeah, the idea of Cashman is amazing!
Aug 4, 2016 2:43 PM

May 2012
Quite the concept of a superhero :p liked this one quite a lot actually!
Feb 10, 2017 9:46 AM

Nov 2016
Does anybody know where can i watch this? In youtube its only in japanese and the yt subs option works like shit.
Jul 13, 2017 10:54 AM

Jan 2013
welp...i now know how Toriyama got the Great Saiyaman idea to come about, which made me think that most his one-shot mangas at the time were just ideas to use for dragonball
nearly 28 years too late but i want Cashman as a character or at least an easter egg for a future dragonball game lol
dannymilkJul 13, 2017 10:57 AM
Jul 13, 2017 12:15 PM
Jul 2011
cashman could be a friend of jaco
Jul 13, 2017 12:40 PM

Dec 2015
I remembered the one-shot as not one of my favourites in the collection but still relatively funny, what would be too much to say about this OAV.
Despite being made in 1991, this has the "shiny" and less round style adopted by DBGT, making it look a bit distant from the manga graphically.

Enjoyment: 2/5
Score: 5/10

@dannymilk You'll find the HoiPoi ancestors in one of the many one-shots collected in the three books of short stories too. Like many other elements as you presumed (a kid with an animal feature, an adventure starting with a urban girl encounter, etc).
And yes, many of those things served a few years/months later to start Dragon Ball.

PS: I invite you to read the collection in question, the stories are inequal but the good ones are worth the reading. ^^

edit @dannymilk Sorry to disturb again, but in case I wasn't clear about the books:

The Ackman chapters are particularly funny (enough to get their own OAV too, too short though).
And if you come to like the humour, I can't recommend Dr.Slump enough. (the explosion of Toriyama's talent in nonsense and humour)
Rei_IIINov 3, 2017 4:01 AM
Jul 13, 2017 1:01 PM

Jan 2013
@Rei366 after watching this and from your recommendation, im intrigued enough to do that :)
Nov 3, 2017 3:44 PM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
the episode has this funny point, enough for the 15 minutes, but not for more!!! ;)
Chapat, alias Cashman, has a hard way to get the gold to return to home!!!! kekeke
Dec 17, 2017 4:17 AM

Jan 2011
Eh, didn't like the comedy much, but the action was decent.
Jul 16, 2022 5:24 AM

Sep 2018
Garbage OVA, 3/10. Makes me not want to watch Dragonball lol
Mar 31, 7:55 AM

Aug 2012
I was worried going in that the 15 minute runtime was going to be a detriment, but thankfully it wasn't. The story isn't complicated, but it did a good job of establishing the characters, settings, and dynamic, and having enough of a plot to have a little clever payoff. Shampur having to use her gold to fuel the ship was a great resolution, not just because it was well-seeded earlier, but because that bitch needed to be knocked down a peg.

I found Shampur's character funny for the most part, but I definitely would've left this feeling more negatively if she really only existed to punish Cashman. While it sucks that Cashman remains stuck on Earth for longer, Shampur suffering too makes it more palatable. It seems obvious, but I've seen stuff where the one responsible for the suffering of the main cast doesn't suffer any consequences and/or gets rewarded ("Everyone Knows it's Bendy" from Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends for an example) and it makes it a miserable experience. If Shampur just got rewarded for her behaviour, this would've felt a lot more mean-spirited, but instead the very last joke is at her expense. Just a great way to keep this fun.

Cashman himself was a rather likable lead. I love the scene where he's negotiating his reward, starting high then constantly talking his price down. And I thought the action was solid, with him having some cool gadgets like the sword or the plunger hookshot gun. The designs were great. Cashman is such a peak Z-Toriyama design, and Obide & Leoste's designs were great too. Music didn't really stand out to me, but the animation was solid.

7/10 for me. Might be a bit high for most, but considering the runtime I think this earned it. I think the best thing I can say about this is I left kinda wishing there was more to Cashman. I would've been down for this being a short series. At the very least, I think it'd be really cool if some Dragon Ball game does a real deep pull and puts Cashman in the game.

More topics from this board

» Chokin Senshi Cashman (Sub. Español)

eandresbarto - May 27, 2020

0 by eandresbarto »»
May 27, 2020 11:35 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.