Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »
Sep 6, 2009 7:05 AM

Feb 2008
Wondering if Mirai's parent are alright? If both of them are dead...poor poor Mirai..
Sep 6, 2009 11:49 AM
Jul 2008
It's kind of scary how some people still doubt Yuuki's death. To what lengths of denial will people go, honestly? I hope people are a little more honest with themselves in real life...

Anyway, one of the things I liked about this episode was the fact that Mirai finding Mari's mother and daughter somehow helped her face the fact of her brother's death (at least doubt his being still alive).

Once again, good character progression and rather believable reactions (like Hina's expression on fiding her mother).
Do not fear darkness. A path of shadows can only end into the light.
Sep 6, 2009 1:06 PM

Sep 2008
you know...im alredy dead
O_o!
û_û
that would be sad
Being a fan is like having a penis. Its nice to be proud of it But don't pull it out in public and wave it in other's faces

Kyurem Black. Kyurem White. Together they are Pretty Kyurem.
Sep 6, 2009 1:22 PM

Jul 2008
I imagine it goes like this. Yuuki dies and then they make a movie titled Tokyo Magnitude: Conquerer of 8.0 where in some alternate realiy Yuuki never died and now Mirai has to save him and bring him back to the world.

I still didn't think Yuuki was dead until the last five minutes. The last scene cut the cake. I was coming in this thread with a bunch of debates against him being dead, but that last scene destroyed all of my evidence. I haven't cried since about episode 3. I think it's because, I'll admit I sort of don't care for Mari like I did at the beginning. She's starting to get lazy and let the kids run off and it looks like a running gag at this point.
Sep 6, 2009 3:58 PM

Aug 2009
man, stop with the speculation!! Now I don't want to know what Yuki has to say.
I only expect it doesn't happen the worst. Something like that their parents are not there anymore...
For now what I think is that, Yuki is alive but Mirai is still dubting about what is real...
surieldlSep 6, 2009 4:02 PM

Sep 6, 2009 4:47 PM

Feb 2009
Mari's daughter is cute, and their reunion was touching. :)

How long are they gonna troll us with ghost Yuuki? Of course there's always the slight chance that he's just in a coma and might wake up at the end of this. But if he was only in a coma, I guess Mirai wouldn't be that affected as to invent an imaginary Yuuki.

Funny that military didn't react to Mirai saying "We live there".
Sep 6, 2009 8:27 PM

Dec 2008
OK Yuki is dead, perfect but what I really liked about this episode was... NO AFTERSHOCKS!!!!
Sep 6, 2009 8:50 PM

Dec 2008
Good episode overall. After episode 8, I was in denial about Yuuki but this episode put the last nail in the coffin...so to speak oO; The whole deal with Mari's mother and daughter being dead didn't do anything for me because I was fairly certain they were actually alive. I mean, it didn't feel sad enough for it to be that way...or, if they really did turn out to be dead, I was going to point out the horrible job the screenwriters/director did in expressing such a devastating loss.

The plot moving forward, and whole thing with "Yuuki", was done well in this episode, though.
Sep 7, 2009 1:02 AM
Anime Moderator
Grammar Queen

Jun 2008
poor Mirai :(

i hope her parents are alive at least.
p r o f i l e 👀
Sep 7, 2009 1:17 PM

Jan 2008
UnknownFact said:
You guys spoiled me with that kid's death dammit.
oh dammit! xD I didn't realize that...

I felt i got spoiled too..
Damn it.. why do i even go read those threads ><!
and i was like "what was he gonna say.."
i think i know now..
well .. i found it weird that mari picked yuuki's bag at the end.. even thought yuuki had it on his back.. i thought it was a production miss <_<
but i never realize that he was actually dead..even thought i found those flash backs weird.. and mari's look to mirai too.. i thought that she was able to call their parents and found that they were dead and she wanted to tell mirai who seemed to know already << having all those thought and never realizing that yuuki was dead O_O.. i think my thoughts are missed up ><!
2 more Ep to go T_T

Sep 7, 2009 4:50 PM

May 2008

T_________________________________________________T
Sep 7, 2009 9:26 PM

Jan 2008
Now it's obvious Yuuki's dead. What's worse is now Mirai's all alone. Prepare for a mental breakdown next episode.
Sep 8, 2009 6:20 AM

Jun 2007
Great episode, I nearly cried ;_;
I had a feeling that Mari's mother and daughter are fine, I'm glad they really are!

Gosh, Yuuki...!!! TT____TT
Sep 8, 2009 7:23 PM

Jul 2008
kira-factor said:
windy said:
Mirai being convinced by a dead apparition of her brother to go look for Hina and Mari's mom actually leading her to find them is pretty unconvincing. Anyway. I'm convinced Yuuki's dead now after Mari's "isshoni tte?" line.

When you put it that way it is pretty unconvincing. Though I just thought of it as, since Yuuki is just being projected from Mirai's conscience, she was the one who truly felt that maybe Hina and her grandmother were alive, and was convincing herself to go look for them :) But that's just my opinion.

And yes, I'm also convinced he's dead.

I think the same way, since he's now living just in her head she was the one who actually believed they were still alive, even if unconsciously (?).
Mari's reunion with her family was quite touching. But Mirai's all alone now, I wonder if she'll have a huge mental breakdown in the next episode.
------------------------
Database Guidelines
Denials: anime | manga
Modifications: anime | manga
-----------------------------------
Sep 8, 2009 7:38 PM

May 2008
Loxaris said:
kira-factor said:
windy said:
Mirai being convinced by a dead apparition of her brother to go look for Hina and Mari's mom actually leading her to find them is pretty unconvincing. Anyway. I'm convinced Yuuki's dead now after Mari's "isshoni tte?" line.

When you put it that way it is pretty unconvincing. Though I just thought of it as, since Yuuki is just being projected from Mirai's conscience, she was the one who truly felt that maybe Hina and her grandmother were alive, and was convincing herself to go look for them :) But that's just my opinion.

And yes, I'm also convinced he's dead.

I think the same way, since he's now living just in her head she was the one who actually believed they were still alive, even if unconsciously (?).
Mari's reunion with her family was quite touching. But Mirai's all alone now, I wonder if she'll have a huge mental breakdown in the next episode.

Rather than Mirai personally believing they were still alive, I see it as her believing her brother would have been more determined to find them.

Mirai's character has always been insecure and feels like her brother is actually more admirable than herself. That attitude is reflected in the brother she is imagining now. I think it's likely they'll touch on this next episode as she tries to deny it.

I am a banana.
Sep 8, 2009 8:33 PM

Jul 2007
Yuuki's dead and Mirai's going to go into shock next episode. About time something honestly traumatic happens in a show meant to be traumatic.

Fuck this series for cutting the balls off this episode. That was way way WAY too specific a coincidence for it to go down like that. Really, a 4-year-old and 50-year-old both unclaimed, paired together, and they aren't Mari's family?!

I'm sorry but that's A. too much for me to swallow and B. too manipulative a plot curve to accept.
My first novel, Kardia has been published! Click here to read!
Sep 9, 2009 12:31 AM

Jul 2007
Splitter said:
Yuuki's dead and Mirai's going to go into shock next episode. About time something honestly traumatic happens in a show meant to be traumatic.

Fuck this series for cutting the balls off this episode. That was way way WAY too specific a coincidence for it to go down like that. Really, a 4-year-old and 50-year-old both unclaimed, paired together, and they aren't Mari's family?!

I'm sorry but that's A. too much for me to swallow and B. too manipulative a plot curve to accept.

I agree. I thought it was really contrived, at least they could have put burnt corpses instead of a girl with exact ponytails as Hina. But then again, reality is stranger than fiction... not that I ever want to be in the shoes of any of these characters to find out...
Sep 9, 2009 6:16 PM

Sep 2007
I totally forgot Yuuki died D:
Sep 11, 2009 1:52 AM

Jan 2009
Oh god, I bawled.
Sep 11, 2009 9:05 PM

Jun 2009
totally boring, and forced. way too many coincidences, the dialogue was too contrived to make mari not talk to yuuki, mari didn't even try to identify the bodies before moping around, and yuuki's ghost thinking of such a convoluted solution when all mari had to do was lift the cloth. horrible.

btw, why isn't yuuki revealed to be dead yet? it's not as if it was under debate.
fisher_88Sep 11, 2009 9:18 PM
Sep 12, 2009 3:37 PM
Jun 2008
Now I know that Yuuki is really dead =(
I didn't want than. >.<

I wished Yuuki was just in the hospital, not dead...
rodrigohmuSep 12, 2009 3:47 PM
Sep 13, 2009 1:59 PM

Apr 2009
Mirai's hallucination of Yuuki must be really detailed. She knows/knew her brother inside and out.

Sep 15, 2009 6:04 PM

Mar 2008
aaah I almost cried at the reunion between Mari and Hina, but why doesn't Mari explain to Mirai that yuuki's dead?
Sep 18, 2009 11:17 AM

Jan 2009
Okay then, let's see what this episode has in store for a late watcher like me.

First of all, they seem to be walking and walking, and never getting anywhere >.<
I mean, they've been going around for like.. a long time now.
And hey, are they slow or what? Walking 3km in 1 hour? They're really slow O.o

So, Mari's mom and daughter, are they dead?
They seem to be, yes.
They were dead, indeed,
So what now? And Yuuki stop being a tard..
Hey... What's this? Hina's alive? T_T Huh? Mari's mom's also alive? >.>
Now this wasn't really unexpected >.>

Well then, we've got.. Mirai and Yuuki's parents left who could be dead.
Protip: I don't really check the forums anymore, so if you want something, take it on my profile.
Is it time for my long-awaited return to the forums? щ(゚Д゚щ) Nope™, probably not.
Sep 20, 2009 10:24 PM

Dec 2007
I'm glad that Hina is not dead, and it's nice to see Mari hugs her daughter. Yuuki is dead for sure since he talks to Mirai only.
Sep 21, 2009 6:58 PM

Dec 2008
Close call for Mari but her mom and daughter are ok. Yuuki is definitely dead; he had no interaction with anyone but onicha, he also popped out of nowhere when Mari meet Hina not to mention the double backpack at the end and Mari saying “Yuuki and me" How long are they going to drag this?
Sep 23, 2009 8:59 PM

May 2007
Well darn I guess Yuuki is dead.

Nice to see Hina and Mari's mom live but who were those people she was at the side of?
My anime list
Sep 25, 2009 3:01 AM
Apr 2008
I just love cliffhangers..

The episode LOOKS like it's dramatic but for me it's not dramatic enough. It WOULD HAVE been dramatic. This anime I should say is getting much better. I also can say that this is the best anime this season. No, not Bakemonogatari, that shit sucks.

I'm so hyped up with the next ep. I wonder what'll happen. THEY BETTER MAKE THE NEXT EP GOOD!
Sep 29, 2009 5:00 AM
May 2008
Well, looks like Yuuki is dead or at least that's what all the foreshadowing wants us to believe. As for the show it has been rather bland and anytime something suspenseful or dramatic has taken place, it was blown out of proportion. Even with that being said it is still rather enjoyable.
Dead Account
Please Delete
Oct 4, 2009 10:40 AM
Aug 2009
It's kinda hard to believe that Yuuki is dead, since Mari doesn't know and it's from her point of view, but not a single person has spoken to him since that episode besides Mari, and Mirai being shocked by that line at the end pretty much proves it.

Oct 8, 2009 10:00 AM

Jul 2008
So he's dead.
I shed some tears during this ep T^T 5/5
this is one of the best shows this season <3
Oct 11, 2009 10:07 PM

Jun 2009
o wow, before i read this i didnt even realize that yuuki had died, my hypothesis was that mari found out ehri parents died but didnt tell them which is why she wanted to be there when they got home
Oct 13, 2009 5:32 AM

Apr 2009
SunyiNyufi said:
I refuse to belive that Yuuki is that... I refuse it T_T

just like that preview news anchor says: crush syndrome =P...

sucks for mirai... damn... one of the best episodes imo
Nov 7, 2009 8:18 PM

Jul 2008
HawthorneKitty said:

It was heart-wrenching watching the whole episode, knowing that Yuuki was already dead, and even more so when the supposed grandma and daughter were killed off. When Mirai went searching for Hina, I kept hoping they would be fine; Hina sure is cute though, with that blank face.

Haha am I the only one that thought he was alive until Ep 10?
Jun 29, 2010 8:31 AM

Oct 2008
So heartwarming between Hina and Mari..

I just hope that Yuuki really isn't dead. ;________;
Life is really simple, but we insist on making it complicated.~
Jul 19, 2010 2:53 AM

Sep 2008
So I watched episode 9 again and I really did cry when Hina had her reunion! I then fell in love with her voice and then was saddened when Yamaguchi Ai only voiced this one character ever in anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jul 29, 2010 9:16 AM

Nov 2009
Beautiful episode and very sad at the same time. It's very hard to believe that Yuuki is dead...
Sep 12, 2010 7:07 PM

Feb 2009
I thought that Hina was dead, I am so glad they are alright, I mean it would have been so unfair if they had died after all she went through to save totally strangers' kid.

I was hoping that Yuuki is not dead maybe just hospitalized, but I guess he really died I mean there is no way he'll be up and running after falling on the road like he did.
Oct 23, 2010 3:20 AM

Mar 2009
It'd be cool if Yuuki was really dead.
Jan 3, 2011 6:07 AM

Jan 2010
i'm going into paranoia mode now...since a stupid youtub e comment spoiled me even before i started the anime i knew what's gonna happen and watching all this is like a psyhadelic dream...it's really weird and it messes my thoughts a bit lol

4/5 i feel sick -_-
Sayonara,papa!

"Just how a mirror reflects you,people will also reflect your heart."
~Athena Glory,Aria

"Whatever happens,happens"
~Spike Spiegel's thoughts on dying(Cowboy Bebop)
Mar 16, 2011 1:56 PM

Jul 2010
Aww fuck...well done BONES. Well done T.T

Absolutely heartbreaking.
Mar 22, 2011 7:51 PM
Feb 2008
What the hell? I was so sure Yuuki was fine just dehyrdated then everyone started talking about that shit in ep 8 and I'm like nah. Then ep 9 has all these hints like him suddenly appearing behind Marai and no one talking to him and whatnot except her. Fuck man. Fuck this shit! ;_;
Apr 2, 2011 2:28 PM

Aug 2010
Mirai, there is an adult who is willing to take you wherever you want, why are you rejecting her offer? At least now we know why she as not talked or smiled for a while...
Nov 20, 2011 9:48 PM

Sep 2011
I am kind of pissed that someone spoiled it for me on this forum. :(

Note to self, never read other peoples comments anymore!
Dec 30, 2011 8:00 AM

Jun 2009
When Mari refused to ID the bodies, that's when I started having a sparkle of hope. Oh and as for Yuuki, now I'm convinced that he's dead. When Mari and Mirai entered Sangejaya (sp?) they saw family trying to take their daughter home and were told that the body has to be identified first. Then Mari says "That's not what they told me...".
May 5, 2012 12:43 PM

Aug 2011
I really did cry... :' )

It was a beautiful episode and sad at the same time.

This is the fourth time that an anime made me cry, and i'm happy about it... ^^
One of the best anime I've ever seen so far...
May 30, 2012 3:51 PM

Mar 2012
Cried so much this episode when Hina was thought dead. But so glad she was still alive.

oww and Yuuki ......
Jun 23, 2012 2:38 PM

Jul 2011
UnknownFact said:
You guys spoiled me with that kid's death dammit.
oh dammit! xD I didn't realize that...

WAIT WHAT. WHAT. WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!

NOOOO I DIDN'T CATCH THAT!!!

And tears of joy with the reunion!! ;A;
Jul 6, 2012 11:34 PM
Jul 2018
Man, I don't know what's going on anymore.

I'm really thinking Yuuki is dead now. The "I was just thinking how amazing robots are" line got me really believing it, and the flash to Yuuki on the stretcher again just slapped me a huge 'ol confirmation. Nobody talked to Yuuki in this episode, either.
Maybe I'm getting greedy here, but could we extend the psychosis to Mari and say her mother and child really were those bodies laying there?

I just wanted to watch one or two episodes tonight, but I positively must finish this now.
Aug 31, 2012 11:21 PM

Jan 2012
Dumbass Mirai
Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Sporkness - Sep 10, 2009

214 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 27, 2009

180 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:12 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

porkypink - Aug 21, 2009

112 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 8:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.