Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »
Sep 4, 2009 2:49 AM

Mar 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Sep 4, 2009 3:00 AM

Sep 2008
UnknownFact said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
Great Post

It was heart-wrenching watching the whole episode, knowing that Yuuki was already dead, and even more so when the supposed grandma and daughter were killed off. When Mirai went searching for Hina, I kept hoping they would be fine; Hina sure is cute though, with that blank face.

I would have shed so many tears while watching, but my lack of sleep stopped that. Hopefully Mirai will come to terms that Yuuki is dead, death must be unimaginably tough at that age. I guess from now it's Mari's chase after Mirai, then hopefully adoption, not that I want Mirai's parents to die though.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 4, 2009 3:31 AM

Apr 2008
OMG nooo cliffhanger. Unlike last episode where there were subtle hints this episode just shows it as even more obvious. Though I was expecting the big revelation of Yuuki's death in this one so I was kind of disappointed. Hina reuniting with Mari was very heartwarming however.
Sep 4, 2009 4:29 AM

May 2009
"You know..."

Absolutely heartbreaking watching Mirai going about things as if Yuuki was there. They're going to make us wait until next week for the realization to occur. And Mirai will be all alone when it happens?! Poor Mirai.
Sep 4, 2009 5:40 AM

Mar 2009
You guys spoiled me with that kid's death dammit.
oh dammit! xD I didn't realize that...
Sep 4, 2009 6:38 AM
Sep 2007
Good episode, heartwarming reunion between Mari's family. Now we know for sure Yuuki is dead because when Mirai wrote in the letter "Yuuki and I will come and visit you" Mari had repeated that line in confusion "Yuuki and you?" And had a pained look in her eyes.

But yes, sadly it was left off with a cliffhanger cutting off what Yuuki was going to say. I feel sorry for Mirai cause if she does find out about her brother no one is around to comfort her unless she reaches her parents first.

Overall really good episode :)
Sep 4, 2009 6:47 AM
Apr 2009
Yuuki is dead. He is no longer here. But in his backpack, and in my heart, he lives on in me!

UnknownFact said:

There is no manga of TM8.
Sep 4, 2009 7:03 AM

Aug 2007
^ That's the auto-posted part of the post, so ofcourse that part doesn't make sense.

At least it's a good for Mari that she was able to see both Hina and her mother. It was really touching. Indeed, Mari noticed that: 'Yuuki and you'. Oh well, I guess it's a hint for the others who didn't get it in the previous episode. The only other reason that she could be worried is because they're kids, but that's not it.
Dutch anime blogger with a love for Ikuhara's antics and proper storytelling.
Sep 4, 2009 7:12 AM

Dec 2007
Okay, so now I'm pretty sure that Yuuki is dead. The man near the truck didn't pay any attention to Yuuki at all, he just noticed that Mirai was injured. And when Mari read the letter, she repeated the "Yuuki and I" line with a pained expression on her face. Oh yeah, and the way this episode ended. Ah, one week until the next episode, can't really wait.
Sep 4, 2009 7:22 AM

Mar 2009
I went thru eps 8 & 9 to see how are you so convinced the kid died.
I don't know, in episode 8 when Mirai says Mari that she was looking for Yuuki she doesn't look that overwhelmed by the idea that Mirai is having issues with the kid's passing away.
check for it around 15:40.
So I guess it's not that bad me thinking he was still alive even after ep 9 lol...
But Mari doesn't talk to Yuuki even once... also the "Mirai san, ishoni itte???" part at the end of ep 9 says a lot so.. I guess you are right.
Ah I felt so spoiled lol but it's ok... it's on the show.
But Mari didn't say a thing about Mirai talking to herself... but that's ok since it was Mirai making it all up...
It also should have been sad for Mari san so she decided not to tell Mirai and perhaps wait for her parents to take care of that...
Wait... if the kid died they should look for his parents to give them the info right? And in that process they take Mirai too... unless Mari san asked otherwise...

Hm not 100% convincing... got any input? i kind of need it lol

edit: hmm i find it interesting that Mari san just stays silent when Mirai talks to her about Yuuki... she was going to say something to Mirai chan in ep 8 (around 18:10) so i just overlooked that... aah that happens when you don't take a show seriously :S taking it seriously now
UnknownFactSep 4, 2009 7:40 AM
Sep 4, 2009 7:28 AM

Sep 2007
I refuse to belive that Yuuki is that... I refuse it T_T
Sep 4, 2009 7:34 AM

Jul 2008
I was really happy when Mari and Hina reunited.
But everytime Yuuki spoke up and encouraged Mirai too keep looking, I just thought like "Poor Mirai, that's just you wanting to have Yuuki be alive!" ... I really felt sorry for her.

@UnknownFact: If you want to be convinced some more, then read through the episode 8 discussion. There have been a lot of hints. For me this episode was more or less a final confirmation, since I already epected him to die from during episode 7 and onwards.
Sep 4, 2009 7:41 AM

Mar 2009
Lol checking it now thanks... :/

edit: reading it while re-watching episode scenes and now i'm convinced it's dead. First Mari san apologies to Mirai san while crying... and in the final scene Yuuki was not around. Also Mari san is strangely thoughtful when Mirai tells her she's Yuuki's big sister after all (before the final scene)...

So... I must confess they killed a char in a very sophisticated way... Although I'm not into sad things I don't like sad things at all... lol
Very very sad. I couldn't imagine this show being a sad show... now i have no idea what the end will be. I thought before it'll be something like a pretty reunion and Mirai hugging Yuuki and that's it.. but now I have no clue :/
UnknownFactSep 4, 2009 7:50 AM
Sep 4, 2009 7:50 AM

Jun 2009
That was a long confirmation whether Hina and Grandma are really dead... atleast that was a 3/4 of the time lol, either way the last part was also quite confusing (atleast the flashback merely confirms it) But I refuse to believe it yet.. to make it 100% sure let's wait till ep 10 =)

@20:11 Yuuki still carrying his backpack
@20:37 Mari's carrying Yuuki's backpack

I see... this convince me now, that Mirai was hallucinating of Yuuki I guess
ZinvySep 4, 2009 8:33 AM
Live well - Laugh often - and Love much

Sep 4, 2009 8:27 AM

Jul 2008
This was just so sad episode ;w;

Sep 4, 2009 8:39 AM

May 2008
They trick us again! I guess trying to illustrate how mistaken identity and confusion continue to linger after the disaster. There's a lot of stories like this where people in real disasters have thought their family was dead but then they turn up later and reunite... probably the inspiration for this episode.

I was kind of expecting Mari to snap at the sight of her own dead family and yell to Mirai that Yuuki was dead to spark the flashbacks, but it worked out differently obviously. Family turned out alive, and Mirai started to realize on her own. Glad there are still surprises even when you know what's going on. :)

I am a banana.
Sep 4, 2009 9:07 AM

Jul 2007
*sigh* such a heartwrenching series....
but I didn't want to believe Yuuki is really........ ><
(but it was really nicely crafted character death.... so sixth sense-esque..)
Sep 4, 2009 10:26 AM

Dec 2007
Well this pretty much confirms Yuuki's death. Mari's reactions, the left behind bag, how the hospital scenes triggered backflashes...and not least of all the reactions of Yuuki himself.

Hina was cute, I teared up at their reunion.
Sep 4, 2009 12:35 PM

Apr 2008
what were the chances that there would be another 50 year old and 4 year old in the region? im happy that they were still alive though > <

im just really waiting for mirai's reaction to yuuki actually being dead. i kind of wanted to see yuuki just say, you know, im actually dead. and mirai freaking out again. that would be interesting xD
Sep 4, 2009 12:37 PM
Mar 2009
Alright I'm totally convinced that Yuuki is dead now. It was up for debate in episode 8 but in this episode it pretty much sealed the deal. This anime has took a big jump in quality since episode 8 and this is probably the best show of the season by far.
Sep 4, 2009 1:24 PM

Apr 2008
The whole scene with Mari thinking her daughter and mother was dead kinda annoyed me....it just felt unrealistic. Obviously this anime likes fooling with us in thinking people are dead when they really aren't and vice versa. ;]

Aaahhhh, can't wait for the next episode. I'm sure it'll be a sad and good one.
Sep 4, 2009 1:44 PM

May 2008
Maybe by the end of the series, they'll convince us that everyone actually died at the first episode when the quake hit.... mwahahaha.

Grimmm said:
The whole scene with Mari thinking her daughter and mother was dead kinda annoyed me....it just felt unrealistic. Obviously this anime likes fooling with us in thinking people are dead when they really aren't and vice versa. ;]
It might be uncommon, but this actually happens a lot in actual disasters... especially when people are scrambling to organize and identify a flood of corpses. It's human nature to fear the worst when something horrible happens, and it's difficult to figure out what actually happened when everything is displaced and you have incomplete information.

Don't forget that Japan has had large devastating earthquakes in the past, among other natural and unnatural disasters... and I've heard similar stories surrounding the 1906 San Francisco earthquake near where I live where people were reunited long afterward each assuming the other was dead.

It's easy to say the director is just trying to screw with us to make it more dramatic, but there are plenty of factual cases of it happening.

I am a banana.
Sep 4, 2009 2:22 PM

Jul 2008
oo i wonder what he was planning to ask at the end =/

saka said:
Maybe by the end of the series, they'll convince us that everyone actually died at the first episode when the quake hit.... mwahahaha.

LOL the past 10 episodes were jsut all a dream =D

saka said:

Grimmm said:
It might be uncommon, but this actually happens a lot in actual disasters... especially when people are scrambling to organize and identify a flood of corpses. It's human nature to fear the worst when something horrible happens, and it's difficult to figure out what actually happened when everything is displaced and you have incomplete information.

yep it does happen
Sep 4, 2009 3:27 PM

Nov 2006
Mirai being convinced by a dead apparition of her brother to go look for Hina and Mari's mom actually leading her to find them is pretty unconvincing. Anyway. I'm convinced Yuuki's dead now after Mari's "isshoni tte?" line.
Sep 4, 2009 4:27 PM

Feb 2009
Urgh, I'm convinced also. They probably won't reveal stuff until the end of the anime, which works for me.

I'm glad Mari found her peoples, I was like "not them too!" at one time. Good epd.
Sep 4, 2009 5:51 PM
Sep 2007
windy said:
Mirai being convinced by a dead apparition of her brother to go look for Hina and Mari's mom actually leading her to find them is pretty unconvincing. Anyway. I'm convinced Yuuki's dead now after Mari's "isshoni tte?" line.

When you put it that way it is pretty unconvincing. Though I just thought of it as, since Yuuki is just being projected from Mirai's conscience, she was the one who truly felt that maybe Hina and her grandmother were alive, and was convincing herself to go look for them :) But that's just my opinion.

And yes, I'm also convinced he's dead.
Sep 4, 2009 6:35 PM
Observer

Nov 2007
So, is Mirai's denial going to break?

Impatient for the next episode....
bla bla bla
The endless debate between fans and haters. At one point, after spending a lot of time on MAL, you just realize it's totally pointless.
Niko-kun said:
On MAL, everyone who has used the lame rating system becomes a critic and an intellectual by default, haven't you heard?
Sep 4, 2009 6:40 PM

Aug 2008
Wow, I guess I was off the mark. I didn't read any discussions and watched ep 8 and 9 back to back. What I thought was that Mari tried to call Mirai's parents and found out that they were dead, and that was what the papers were about. And the "Yuuki and you?" part I thought of as Mari realizing that Mirai knows her parents are dead too. Same with Yuuki saying "You know..." at the end, meaning you know about our parents. And in regards to her saying sorry to Mirai on the bridge, I took that as a "Sorry I let him get sick."
Although the points do seems more than valid for Yuuki being dead instead. I think it's pretty obvious now that I look through it again. He says "You know..." because Mirai knows he's dead on the inside she just doesn't want to admit it. That flashback jump started her memory, but she's doing the "If I don't acknowledge it, it's not true" thing. Well I think that just set a 10/10 rating in stone for this show.
Sep 4, 2009 7:31 PM

Apr 2008
the dead person for some reason why do they make them look like her relatives .. make ppl misunderstand the situation

Sep 4, 2009 7:59 PM

May 2009
Yuuki's dead, it's obvious, and I didn't really had to see this ep to be sure about it.

Grimmm said:
The whole scene with Mari thinking her daughter and mother was dead kinda annoyed me....it just felt unrealistic.

For me it lacked too much impact to be the real deal, almost no emotions, no sadness, it was clearly not them (especially if you compare with what happened in the previous episode).

Now it's time for Mirai to realize what really happened to Yuuki, I suppose it will take the whole ep 10...
Sep 4, 2009 8:03 PM

May 2009
I'm seriously shocked. Came here without knowledge of this(pretty much confirmed) theory of dead Yuuki and Mirai in denial. What a great way to develop the story. Kinda sad I didn't find out through the show itself though. D:
Sep 4, 2009 8:08 PM

May 2008
somehow I anticipate:
* Mari looses her cool
* Mirai gets bitchslapped
* reconciliation and new purpose

...maybe after all the curve balls they'll mix it up with a straight?

I am a banana.
Sep 4, 2009 8:21 PM

Dec 2008
Really great episode. When I first started watching this show it was really interesting...then for like a couple episodes or so it got slightly less interesting. Since the robot episode though I think this show got really interesting again. Really want to see the next episode now. Only two episodes left....but I guess that's about right since they shouldn't drag this out for too long.
Sep 4, 2009 9:33 PM

Jan 2008
Oh man.
This ep was and the next ep probably will be bawwwww a fest. ;_____;
Sep 4, 2009 11:16 PM

Jul 2009
UnknownFact said:
I went thru eps 8 & 9 to see how are you so convinced the kid died.
I don't know, in episode 8 when Mirai says Mari that she was looking for Yuuki she doesn't look that overwhelmed by the idea that Mirai is having issues with the kid's passing away.

Well if you notice Yuuki has his backpack.. But Mari also has one. They tried tricking us this episode with the Backpack. There are other parts where they had Yuuki following Mirari but when they show her moving around and running he isn't behind her.

Wait... if the kid died they should look for his parents to give them the info right? And in that process they take Mirai too... unless Mari san asked otherwise...

I think that is what Mari was trying to do last episode when she was using the phone. Besides they ARE trying to get the home. It is also one of the reasons why Mari wanted to be there when and if Mirari found her parents.

This episode was a roller coaster with the scare of what hapened to Hina and Grandma. I was wonder how the people could be so cruel as to do this when I first saw the two bodies in the "morgue".

It seemed like Mirari realized Yuuki was dead while they were in the Hallway, shown by yuuki trying to tell her something. We get this again at the end of the episode where he goes to tell her something before it fades out. She seems to know but doesn't want to accept it.

But another tear jerker with the reunion between Hina and Mari. And what a great teacher they had looking after Hina.
Sep 4, 2009 11:53 PM
Jul 2008
I'm glad Hina is alright! : )
Sep 5, 2009 12:44 AM

Jun 2009
UnknownFact said:
So I guess it's not that bad me thinking he was still alive even after ep 9 lol...
But Mari doesn't talk to Yuuki even once... also the "Mirai san, ishoni itte???" part at the end of ep 9 says a lot so.. I guess you are right.
Ah I felt so spoiled lol but it's ok... it's on the show.
But Mari didn't say a thing about Mirai talking to herself... but that's ok since it was Mirai making it all up...
It also should have been sad for Mari san so she decided not to tell Mirai and perhaps wait for her parents to take care of that...

Hm not 100% convincing... got any input? i kind of need it lol

edit: hmm i find it interesting that Mari san just stays silent when Mirai talks to her about Yuuki... she was going to say something to Mirai chan in ep 8 (around 18:10) so i just overlooked that... aah that happens when you don't take a show seriously :S taking it seriously now

The thing is that Mirai was right beside Mari when the doctor came out of surgery and told them that they lost Yuuki. So the Yuuki we see is, as other posters have mentioned, just a projection from Mirai's mind. With the flashbacks, it's starting to sink in but she doesn't want to accept it.

I suspect that some of those times when Mirai was "talking" to Yuuki, she wasn't speaking loud enough for Mari to hear. Then there are little slips like in the beginning, when "Yuuki" and Mirai were talking about the big construction vehicles. When Mari turned around and asked what she said, Mirai said, "I was thinking...." not "we". She said "I".

She knows, and "Yuuki" and the flashbacks are trying to get her to accept it.

They did a fantastic job trying to trick us with the backpack. However, what confirmed it for me were the to instances where the camera showed Mirai and Yuuki but when the angle switched to Mari's point of view or the medical guy @ the end who asked Mirai if her leg was ingjured - we only see Mirai.

Also, there was one scene where they started to run and I only heard two sets of footsteps.

What drove the point home was the backpack was left behind, even though we saw Yuuki carrying it when "they" boarded the truck at the end.
---
ChibiSamuraiTV | My YT Channel | www.youtube.com/user/chibisamuraitv
Sep 5, 2009 1:06 AM

Aug 2007
I'm loving this series so much, best of the season because of these couple of episodes. I'm buying it when it's released. I can't WAIT for the next episode.
Sep 5, 2009 7:29 AM

Aug 2009
DANG IT!!!CLIFFHANGERR!!!!
Sep 5, 2009 7:52 AM

Jan 2009
Now i'm 90% sure that Yuuki is already dead. He never interact with anyone but Mirai in this episode, even Mari didn't touch or talk to him like she usually did. Also Yuuki's sureness that Mari's mom and Hina is still alive is also strenghten the theory that Yuuki is already dead. And don't forget Mirai's flashback and Mari being somewhat confused when she read "Yuuki & I".

I hope things will be resolved in the next episode
Sep 5, 2009 9:05 AM

Apr 2008
Man I don't want to watch the last two eps cause I know its going to be heartbreaking, but I'm going to watch them. I love Yuuki but yeah he's dead and Mari's in deniel the next two eps are probably gonna prove his death and make Mari accept it.

Breath||
Sep 5, 2009 9:39 AM

May 2008
Monsta said:
Man I don't want to watch the last two eps cause I know its going to be heartbreaking, but I'm going to watch them. I love Yuuki but yeah he's dead and Mari's in deniel the next two eps are probably gonna prove his death and make Mari accept it.

I think you mean Mirai, but yeah his death is proven to her already.... she's realizing it on her own at the end of this episode, so we can be sure that the crying and anger will be surfacing right at the beginning of ep 10.

I am a banana.
Sep 5, 2009 1:02 PM
Oct 2007
Episode 8: Didn't shed a tear.
Episode 9: Cried a bucket.
Episode 10: Will probably cry a river. T_T
Sep 5, 2009 2:04 PM

Jul 2009
WTF Yuuki's DEAD!?!?!? Ahh damn it alll.....but glad things worked out 4 mari Tho
Sep 5, 2009 6:08 PM

Oct 2007
i hope i'm proven wrong that yuki isn't dead but i can't help but say he is and that mirai is going to finally come to grips with that
Sep 5, 2009 6:19 PM

May 2008
nyamo said:
i hope i'm proven wrong that yuki isn't dead but i can't help but say he is and that mirai is going to finally come to grips with that

obvious statement is obvious

I am a banana.
Sep 5, 2009 6:41 PM

May 2008
woots solo time awesomeeeeee

Awesome Sig by Lailide
Sep 5, 2009 7:44 PM

May 2009
;_; awesome.

I don't understand. Why do some of you think Yuukis dead? He's right there.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 5, 2009 7:46 PM

Jul 2009
Puni said:
;_; awesome.

I don't understand. Why do some of you think Yuukis dead? He's right there.

Check the 8th episode discussion.

Also Mari has yet to even talk to him, which goes against everything we've seen since they were together. No one except for Mirari has acknowledged Yuuki.

The backpack is another clue, since Yuuki supposeivly has it, but Mari also found one at the hospital where they were sitting. You could say it was a similar backpack, but what are the odds of that?
Sep 6, 2009 4:01 AM

Jan 2008
Pages (3) [1] 2 3 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 5 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

wakka9ca - Aug 7, 2009

144 by hafizo_kurosaki »»
Jan 25, 10:06 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 11 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 ... Last Page )

kashim - Sep 17, 2009

506 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 11:11 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 5 )

Sporkness - Sep 10, 2009

214 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 10:42 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

HawthorneKitty - Aug 27, 2009

180 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 9:12 PM

Poll: » Tokyo Magnitude 8.0 Episode 7 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

porkypink - Aug 21, 2009

112 by Archean-Return »»
Dec 22, 2023 8:31 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.