Forum Settings
Forums
New
Mar 26, 2014 4:05 AM

Jul 2013
After reading for about the 5th time, I realized why Ultra Heaven ended the way it did, and it makes perfect sense.

In the very beginning, when Kabu goes to the Pump bar to try and overdose, where the bartender gave him that Nova Express and Kabu left, the two men sitting next to him talked about Kabu's qualities as "the perfect specimen". Kabu is in good health, he's got suicidal tendencies, and his drug trips confirmed that he had a state of mind that was unlocked enough to perform experiments on him with the new drug the sanitation agency was developing.

Kabu's dealer only briefly mentioned this, but they stumbled upon Ultra Heaven by accident when trying to find a cure to Peter Pan poisoning. Kabus dealer, by the way, is the scientist who works in that building with the giant hole going down 100 stories, if you remember that. He said that his friend had thought he was dreaming and jumped off. Remember him?

Well, anyways, the drug they gave him was the Ultra Heaven, and the other dealer, the enigmatic black dude, led that event in a way.
Through him, the government observed Kabu and took him in to the sanitation chamber where they started getting those crazy fucking readings on him.

The way the story is set makes things chronologically dissonant, so really these were all just flashbacks while in real time, Kabu actually was going to the Drome with that Alice fan. The flashback went so far back that it included Kabus first experience with the drug, and it included very subtle hints of the death experience. Seven did say "I heard that when you die, your brain releases the ultimate chemical, and thats what heaven essentially is." Heaven. A neurological manifestation.

So when Kabus mind got broken from the first time taking Ultra Heaven (wherein his experience at the Sanitation Center was NOT a dream, just a flashback), it put his spirit out into the open and made his subconscious GROW more than any of the amp users ever could have, because as was stated, he was the perfect specimen, bordering between life and death. His subconscious manifested into the real world, breaking down the drome. THATS where and how, essentially, he became god. His ability to see through the eyes of others, including the dead (his mother) marks him as truly god-like.

The manga was about transcendence. And of course you cant even fathom that let alone write it on any medium, so when Kabu became god, the story ended because he was in such a state of mind that all of time was just one volume. In other words, Kabu's character transcended beyond a form where time was a constant, rather than a point. So, in his becoming of a god, the story ended because Kabu was no more, he had transcended.

EAT SH!T AND LIVE
Apr 6, 2014 5:02 PM

Oct 2009
I have to reread the volumes in connection to your interpretation in order to understand everything you've pointed out, because I've forgotten almost everything by now. But that's a remarkably sad ending in any case.

The series hasn't been officially discontinued yet as far as I know. I wish Koike-san would at least publish something new after all this time.
May 5, 2014 2:11 AM

Jul 2013
I think that so many people just didnt get that it ended the way it did. Everyone has since been waiting for more, and I wouldn't think it would be Koike-san's intention to have to announce that the series ended.

For me, I would love to see if he could build this up but not break it. Right now, the story, to me, has justifiably ended, and it did so right at the crux.
EAT SH!T AND LIVE
Nov 5, 2021 9:45 AM
Aug 2021
Sorry if this sounds stupid but is the sanitation agency creating these drugs for money, taking people who take the drugs, then experimenting on them to create new drugs? Simply put, creating, dispersing, capturing, experimenting then repeat.
Jul 14, 2023 10:51 AM
Sep 2020
I'm really confused, when did sanitation centre guys captured Kabu?

More topics from this board

» Possibility of Last Gasp publishing Ultra Heaven in English

NeoTokyo404 - Feb 28, 2022

2 by Infernalization »»
Jan 17, 2:44 PM

» Ultra heaven physical copies

uglyboyjoe - Feb 6, 2022

1 by Weebookey »»
Jun 12, 2022 12:01 AM

Poll: » Ultra Heaven Chapter 1 Discussion

Tengai - Sep 5, 2019

4 by BlufaceBaby »»
Feb 18, 2022 9:15 PM

» Is this complete?

Fumito - Dec 3, 2015

3 by Martijn_20 »»
Jun 25, 2020 4:13 PM

Poll: » Ultra Heaven Chapter 3 Discussion

Tengai - Sep 7, 2019

0 by Tengai »»
Sep 7, 2019 5:54 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.