3It was OK
7.5%
2Disliked it
0.0%
1Hated it
0.0%
Average 4.5
53 votes
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Sep 3, 2009 8:22 AM

Aug 2009
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Finally Big Daddy and Brandon made contact. Then, he can visit Maria whenever he wants.
Aug 12, 2010 8:30 AM

Jul 2009
They're not exactly subtle with their foreshadowing of Harry becoming evil in this are they? XD Then again we already know from the first episode.
Nov 13, 2010 2:33 PM

Aug 2009
Solid episode.Despite the lack of action , it wasn't boring.
Nov 18, 2011 4:43 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
This anime is turning out to be a pleasant surprise. Good mix of action and drama. This episode was very good.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Jan 31, 2013 4:29 PM

Jan 2012
I thought Big Daddy won't allow Brandon to visit Maria. I was actually surprised.

Jun 13, 2013 11:49 AM

May 2012
Seems like Big Daddy is a nice person after all. And Brandon is close to him. And he now saved his life! Way to go, Brandon! I hope he will not die though..
Dec 22, 2013 6:43 AM

May 2012
Some slight development and action but still not what I'd like it to be for a 8/10 rated series.
Jan 2, 2015 12:06 PM

Nov 2014
My favourite episode so far, although I also expect a little more from the series.
Apr 19, 2015 10:02 PM

Aug 2013
Its getting progressively more interesting with each episode, I still wanna see how this is going to do a complete 180 and become what ever the first episode was.
Oct 5, 2015 11:15 AM

Jul 2009
Nice that Brandon was able to see Maria after some months and now he can see her in the mansion, I believe Brandon saved Big Daddy coz he take care of Maria.
Oct 12, 2015 1:01 AM

Mar 2012
By taking a bullet for Big Daddy Brandon just outshone the hell out of Harry's actions xD Guess this is were their relationship starts taking a turn for the worst.
May 25, 2016 6:34 PM

Jun 2015
Avenger-senpai said:
By taking a bullet for Big Daddy Brandon just outshone the hell out of Harry's actions xD Guess this is were their relationship starts taking a turn for the worst.

Now that you mention it, Harry joined the Millenion for his own gains while Heat joined to protect Maria and Harry. What I'm seeing so far is that Brandon unintentionally entered the very top of The Organization while Harry is stuck, trying to climb up. No wonder he's pissed...
May 27, 2016 11:23 AM

Mar 2015
If i completely delete the first episode from my memory this series is well over my expectations. I really like the characters and the story so far. Brandon and Big Daddy seems to be alike. Both of them just want to protect their loved ones but Harry kind of worries me. He seems the kind of guy who won't be contempt with being just a simple member of the family. Or what is he gonna do if the old man will want to leave the organization to Brandon?
Jul 29, 2016 7:57 AM

Dec 2012
Big Daddy sure does have a big heart. It's so jarring to see that the most powerful man in Millennion is a gentle fisherman. How he started the organization reminds me of how other notorious gangs originated - from a small circle's desire to keep the order.

I'm seeing a contrast between how Brandon and Harry are moving up in Millennion. While Brandon is gaining favor with Big Daddy through his sincerity, Harry is doing whatever is necessary to quench his thirst to rise up.
Mar 23, 2017 7:47 PM

Jan 2014
Pretty good episode..

I'm glad that Brandon was able to see Maria.

Yeah Big Daddy does have a big heart.

Brandon is close to him , and he now saved his life.. Looking forward to see what's next!
Jul 17, 2017 4:43 AM

Jul 2008
Brandon managed to upstage Harry without much effort.
Sep 7, 2017 3:36 AM

Jun 2016
Every single person except for Ladd in this anime is so humanized. Even Deed was. It's such a great trait for an anime like this to have. Another mafia story 91 Days had the problem of making it obvious who was good and who was evil, one family had likable good guys, the other had fat greedy 1D pigs and insane villains, which to me was one of the biggest faults. This anime highlights the relationships between others and what makes them human. And I love it. I love it so much.

This episode from the 17:50 mark was phenomenal and this was by far the best episode yet, second being episode 2. That juxtaposition of Harry's gang spraying down Lightening thugs and Maria teaching Brandon to dance was so perfect. Death is just a part of life in this world, the anime makes nothing more of it then that, why even show death. We hardly even get shots of people dying, more so it focuses on the results of that action and peoples reactions, which only strengthens the complexity of its cast. I don't mean to ramble on, but man this episode impressed me, I loved nearly everything about it apart from the cheesy dream segment, but that bit can be excused as a dream I suppose. What does it mean to protect? To take or as Harry put it give death to those who get in the way. When protecting what you care about does that eliminate right and wrong?

Lastly, I don't know if I'm getting used to him, or if he's getting less awkward, I think it's the latter, but Brandon is feeling a lot less awkward and more so just quiet and stoic now. Could be either, but he actually responds and talks back now, when I recall in the first episode he would be completely silent to the point that I was confident he was mute. So, I think he's gotten better which was one of my complaints at the beginning.
Nov 6, 2017 8:57 AM

Dec 2015
That was some of the most awkward and badly animated fishing I've ever seen.

I can already see what's gonna happen, Harry will want to off Big Daddy to become the boss, but Brandon will be against it and "betray" him.
"At some point, I stopped hoping."
Feb 12, 2018 10:46 PM
Jul 2017
Despite some janky animation (especially during the fishing scene) this was another good episode which covered alot, including Brandon and big daddy meeting for the first time, learning more about big daddy, and how harry is willing to do what it takes to make it to the top.

Now with brandon taking a bullet for big daddy and protecting him I can definitely see a conflict with harry growing amiss...
Apr 15, 2020 2:32 PM

Nov 2016
Daddy is yet another character how seems like a great person to be around with. I'm quite fond of how the contrasts in this anime are portrayed.

One Piece episode 914 & 915 & 1027 were a mistake and 957 brought the salvation - FMmatron

Apr 13, 2023 4:18 AM
Shalltear

Apr 2018
Wow this is tough... I didn't expect Brandon to almost sacrifice his life to save Big Daddy, though he won't die obviously
Sep 25, 2023 5:10 AM

Dec 2022
Musical juxtaposition through two events of contrasting tone isn't something that hasn't been done before in media, I should mention. Soundtrack dissonance like that has been seen countless times before. I feel like the dramatic effect of such a trope would've been more effective over the deaths of important characters, rather than a bunch of irrelevant unnamed fodder for "Lightning", who we know nothing about. Still a perfectly serviceable scene, but I found it a bit overblown.

The distance between Maria's eyes and her mouth makes her face look a bit weird, especially when combined with the pointy chins. Not sure if this artstyle is all that appealing on female characters, honestly.

Shaded Horizon

Feb 18, 12:20 AM

Nov 2021
The first episode gives a wrong impression about what this anime could be about. But, that said, I've enjoyed this anime so far.
Brandon's character is pretty interesting; he stays quiet most of the time, but his limited dialogues and inner monologues suffice.
It would've been problematic if he were to be like Claude from GTA 3 with no dialogues and inner monologues.

This episode ended with the "5 years later" text at the very end. I'm interested to see how the story will progress after this time skip, leading to the events of episode 1.
Mar 4, 7:53 PM
May 2017
And when you thought it was going good; it spiral downward.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 14 Discussion ( 1 2 )

cantius - Apr 18, 2009

73 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Yesterday, 11:29 AM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 3 Discussion

Beatnik - Apr 9, 2009

30 by Niveen_Sleem »»
Apr 11, 4:25 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 26 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

112 by Kayarbee70 »»
Apr 7, 6:14 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 25 Discussion

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

31 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 3, 9:59 PM

Poll: » Gungrave Episode 24 Discussion

Tzuno - Jul 11, 2009

46 by almightybismarck »»
Apr 3, 9:33 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.