Forum Settings
Forums
Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »
Must be a Club Member to Reply 
Jun 10, 2008 11:22 PM

Thrice - Identity Crisis
Thrice - The Illusion of Safety

everybody else said:
"Wait Yoshi, I thought Thrice was your current fav band and that you should have all of their stuff already?"

Well, I had all of their stuff Post-The Artist In The Ambulance. I haven't gotten a chance to get their first two albums. Identity Crisis was described to me as one big mess of heavy riffs and with no real song structure. And it must be weird even for me when I say that the interlude "The Next Day" was one of the best parts of the album, just because things slowed down a little. "T&C", "Identity Crisis" and "Under Par" are pretty good, but the rest is pretty much...under par.

The Illusion of Safety however is a good improvement. Yes, "Deadbolt" is good (every old Thrice fan loves that song), and it's that song that shows that their music is evolving with each album. The stuff on this album evolved into the awesome third album that is The Artist In The Ambulance, and so on and so forth until this year's second half of The Alchemy Index. Other standout songs in The Illusion of Safety is "The Red Death", "A Living Dance Upon Dead Minds" and "See You In The Shallows".

Jun 11, 2008 11:11 PM

Macross F Soundtrack

Yoko Kanno, along with a bunch of talented pop songs. Awesome. Addicted to "What 'bout my star?@Formo."

Jun 12, 2008 6:53 AM

The Black Dahlia Murder - Miasma and Unhallowed

damn good band, nice melodich death metal (death metal/metalcore)
Forgivness is an empty promise!

Jun 16, 2008 5:27 AM

Two more metal albums:

Slayer - Reign In Blood
A classic in thrash metal. Bout time I got some Slayer.

Nightwish - The Wishmaster
Third studio album from Nightwish. Ok album, not as good as Oceanborn, but there are a couple epic songs at the end which are pretty nice.

4 more songs from the Spring Season too; the Soul Eater OP and ED (I Wanna Be, Resonance), the Vampire Knight OP and a Kyouran Kazoku Nikki ED.

Jun 16, 2008 2:25 PM

Just bought the British version of Fatboy Slim's first release "Better Living Through Chemistry". Favorites would be "Song For Lindy", "The Weekend Starts Here" and "First Down".

Jun 16, 2008 5:31 PM
prochem said:
Fatboy Slim's first release "Better Living Through Chemistry"

Great choice! Punk to Funk would be my personal pick but it's all good. =D

Lack Of Afro - Press On
More funky goodness, heavy on the snares and plenty of horns. Not enough flute or hammond-organ for my tastes, but you can't have everything now can you.

The Future Sound Of London - From The Archives Vol. 4
I must say I didn't rate FSOL for a long time (except for Papua New Guinea which is a classic) but picked this up on a whim and it's actually pretty good. Ambient like I knew it would be and there's something about track 1-Hidden Sign that reminds me of Silent Hill…

Jun 17, 2008 9:43 AM

So after my last tour out to the far east (Singapore, Malaysia, Japan) I got hold of some albums that I wanted to try and get a hold of. Import sux since it eats out of the wallet so I always try to buy music there when I get the chance.

Abingdon Boys School - Abingdon Boys School

Hell yes, everything on this album is good according to me. A really strong album that reminds of the music from Linkin Park.

UVERworld - Bugright

Sure, the music is ok,, but not something that I will put into the cd player every day to space out on. Nothing special to be said.

Boom Boom Satellites - Full of Elevating Pleasures

Got a sniff of this band through the Appleseed soundstrack and there are alot of songs I like in there. However there are some songs also that almost makes you want to run away from the speakers....

Yui Horie - Darling

One of the latest? albums from Yui. Bought this one more because I'm a little bit of a fan of her as Seiyuu. I like some of the songs, and also the songs that are part of the soundtrack to Nagasarete Airantou. The other songs are two much Pop for my taste.

Yoko Kanno - Ghost in the Shell - Stand alone complex - OST 3

I have the two previous so ofcourse I need this one as well. Alot of great music on this one. A good buy!

Jun 17, 2008 10:11 PM

Ludo - You're Awful, I Love You

only heard 'Love Me Dead' and 'The Horror of our Love' so far but should be a good album

Jun 18, 2008 2:59 AM

scarface - mr scarface is back

mm oldschool gangster rap. i love how he flows so nicely, and murders so mercilessly (in the stories in his songs i mean ._.)

I'm on my way to my old bank
They know me real good and they don't think that I'd gank
Had my gun in my trenchcoat
Now getcha ass on the floor
And don't think about pushin that panic switch
I'm gettin paid and you're gettin killed bitch
Take notes to the message I gave ya
Ya dyin ho and can't nothin save ya
Modified by blockhead, Jun 18, 2008 6:38 AM

Jun 18, 2008 7:23 AM

Destroy the Runner - Saints / I, Lucifer
I coincidentally found them by browsing wikipedia and had to check them out on my space right after. Definitely my favorite hardcore band on par with FATA so far.

Jun 19, 2008 5:56 AM

N.E.R.D. - Seeing sounds
Weezer - Red Album

2 really good cds

Jun 19, 2008 7:43 AM

Nightwish - Oceanborn

I had downloaded the most sigles from the album,but i like to own the original cds and help the artists ^_^

And anothe Chopin - Collection/Limited edition

4 cds collection with Chopin piano music ,(includes parts of Liszt,Beethoven ,Schumann)

Cheers!

Jun 19, 2008 5:36 PM
DB Administrator
Plus Ultra

Jinn - Qualia
I marathoned the first Code Geass season some time ago and really liked the second opening. So I went to check out their latest album, but it disappointed me and I didn't really like it...

Jinn - Lemmings
... so I went and checked out the album they released before Qualia. And this one is really nice, much better than Qualia. I'm keeping it.

open.staff.applications  
guidelines.faq  
report.abuse

Thx Kina.

[H+] ³  

Jun 19, 2008 8:20 PM

Mercenary - Latest (The Hours That Remain) album takes this band to a whole new higher level, really good stuff, aside from this 11 dreams is epic stuff (Especially track Firesoul, which grabbed me instantly) , I suggest checking it out for anyone that likes some heavier sounds. As well as band Mnemic all their stuff is something worth attention.

Heaven Shall Burn - Black Tears <- Very, very good song from their latest album Iconoclast (Part 1: [...])

New Bleach ending is quite catchy but not so good without animation I must say :P

BlueYoshi said:
Slayer - Reign In Blood
A classic in thrash metal. Bout time I got some Slayer.

Classic, should be in anyones collection, assuming they're interested in the music genre.
Modified by chocolatematter, Jun 19, 2008 8:24 PM

Jun 20, 2008 5:55 AM

Moriarty - Gee Whiz but this is a Lonesome Town

The best 15Euros I spent this month. French-american-vietnamian-swiss band that play an inspired music linking Jazz, traditional music, folk, some experimental electro and a crazy klezmer touch'.
Exeptional voice and entrancing mood - Smells like some cabaret where a bunch of world-traveling musicians tell their strange stories with beautiful and elegant simplicity.

Modified by Olire, Jun 20, 2008 6:11 AM
Head Over Heels

Jun 21, 2008 11:34 AM
DB Administrator
Plus Ultra

Immortal Technique - The 3rd World
Dope album and great lyrics. *listens to it again*

open.staff.applications  
guidelines.faq  
report.abuse

Thx Kina.

[H+] ³  

Jun 21, 2008 7:40 PM

System of a Down - Hypnotize
Wow, I remember getting Mezmerize last year and reminding myself to get Hypnotize immidiatly after. I don't know...I think I prefer SOAD's earlier stuff than their later stuff now...a few good songs on here, but overall, their first two albums are my fav.

LCD Soundsystem - 45:33
46 minutes of Epic Win.

Jun 21, 2008 11:24 PM

BlueYoshi said:
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Along with its accompaning EP: To Be You And Me, their 3rd self-titled album is definitely their best album yet.

You think so? I don't like it nearly as much as You Forgot It In People. The best songs on that album are "Fire Eyed Boy" and "Ibi Dreams Of Pavement" and it's really hard to credit Ibi to BSS since it's a Pavement homage.

You might want to check out Kevin Drew's album, Spirit if..., it's a solo album from the co-founder of BSS that came out last year and it is very awesome. It basically sounds just like a BSS album but there are a bunch of really cool guest musicians (J. Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. and Spiral Stairs from Pavement).

Anyyyyway.

The newest album I got was Cloud Cult - Feel Good Ghosts. It's a pretty good album, but nothing that's really blown me away. It sounds like what I'd imagine a collaboration between The Polyphonic Spree and The Arcade Fire would sound like, except a lot more derivative. "Hurrican And Fire Survival Guide" is probably my favorite song of the year so far, though.

Jun 22, 2008 5:53 AM

blueberryboat said:
BlueYoshi said:
Broken Social Scene - Broken Social Scene
Along with its accompaning EP: To Be You And Me, their 3rd self-titled album is definitely their best album yet.

You think so? I don't like it nearly as much as You Forgot It In People. The best songs on that album are "Fire Eyed Boy" and "Ibi Dreams Of Pavement" and it's really hard to credit Ibi to BSS since it's a Pavement homage.

You might want to check out Kevin Drew's album, Spirit if..., it's a solo album from the co-founder of BSS that came out last year and it is very awesome. It basically sounds just like a BSS album but there are a bunch of really cool guest musicians (J. Mascis from Dinosaur Jr. and Spiral Stairs from Pavement).

I think I just prefer their more looser styled songs on Broken Social Scene. I love "7/4 (Shoreline)", "Windsurfing Nation" and "Hotel" so much, that I probably listen to those 3 songs more often than the rest of their discography. The songs on You Forgot It In People are hit or miss for me; well, that's my opinion anyway. I'm going to get Spirit If when Broken Social Scene Presents second album comes out.

Might as well mention that I obtained an EP from the band Museum. It's called Exit Wounds, and I haven't listened to it enough to form a solid opinion of it yet.

Jun 24, 2008 4:16 AM

I last CD that I got was Lucidity by Delain.

Jun 24, 2008 10:21 AM

BlueYoshi said:

I think I prefer SOAD's earlier stuff than their later stuff now...a few good songs on here, but overall, their first two albums are my fav.

Thank you.

EDIT: got this recently
Herbrightskies - Beside Quiet Waters
Post-hardcore. Really great stuff. Gotta buy their album soon.
Modified by Purjoloek, Jun 24, 2008 10:40 AM

Jun 25, 2008 5:53 AM

last cd.. er, i guess it was Rise Against - The Sufferer and the Witness ;D

Jun 25, 2008 11:04 PM

Opeth - Watershed

My first taste of Sweedish Progressive Death Metal band, Opeth, and I start with their latest album. I don't know whether I am hooked or not yet after listening to it. Perhaps I should try all of their earlier, concept album stuff.

Jun 26, 2008 3:18 AM
DB Administrator
Plus Ultra

Xzibit - Restless
It was about time to get this. Great album

Pacewon & Mr. Green - The Only Color That Matters Is Green
Great album of a good DJ and a logical rapper.

Nakahara Mai - Metronome Egg
I love her voice and all but her music doesn't really grab me. I prefer her voice acting.

open.staff.applications  
guidelines.faq  
report.abuse

Thx Kina.

[H+] ³  

Jun 26, 2008 4:41 PM
DB Administrator
Plus Ultra

Doublepoo~

Just got HIGH and MIGHTY COLOR's HOT LIMIT.
I think it sounds great, the other two songs on this single are very good as well. Even the cover is kinda hot (despite the low image quality)!

open.staff.applications  
guidelines.faq  
report.abuse

Thx Kina.

[H+] ³  

Jun 27, 2008 5:21 AM

I sometimes think that half this thread is just Cyruz and I posting. Got some moar metal today:

Slayer - Hell Awaits
I think I prefer this album more than Reign in Blood. This is also considered another classic in Slayer's discography, because of it's more technical and progressive side.

Also obtained the live cover of Symphony of Destruction, perfomed by Nightwish. I like the original that Megadeth did, but I was a bit underwheled by it at first, since I expected something epic in that song. Anyway, I should be getting a couple more Nightwish albums really soon, and I'm finally thinking about buying my next Dream Theater CD next week, along with Daft Punk's Alive 07.

Jun 27, 2008 1:27 PM

The other night I picked up a few albums. I got:

Dub Narcotic Sound System - Out of Your Mind
The first song basically describes the album as a whole, "Wicked Bad." I figured it would be amazing since it's a Calvin Johnson (Beat Happening, Halo Benders) project, but it's just lame, repetitive faux-funk.

The Thermals - The Body, The Blood, The Machine
Punk rock about Bible stories done almost as well as The Pixies - Doolittle. Definitely a good album and more proof that Sub Pop is the greatest record label in the world.

Jun 29, 2008 3:27 PM
DB Administrator
Plus Ultra

Maximo Park - A Certain Trigger
Different, but good. Indie Rock is cool sometimes.

RIZE - K.O.
Nice J-Rock, some good tracks. Decent album.

Monster Magnet - Greatest Hits
Old~, but sounds good. Definitely going to keep it.

America - History: America's Greatest Hits
1970 classic rock. Beautiful.

DJ Baku - Spinheddz
Nice electronics, good DJ album.

DJ Jazzy Jeff & The Fresh Prince - He's The DJ, I'm The Rapper
Better than I expected it to be, the second half is really nice.

open.staff.applications  
guidelines.faq  
report.abuse

Thx Kina.

[H+] ³  

Jun 29, 2008 6:32 PM

Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by The Light, exceptionally good song from 70s, if I'm not mistaken a cover of Bruce's Springsteen version. I belive this song can appeal to younger persons, not quite like the rest of their recordings but I do like a lot of their stuff.

And recently, thanks to De-JaY, I've taken liking towards DJ Sharpnel, I would have never thought that 'happy hardcore' can be something I could like.

Jun 30, 2008 5:32 AM

forlacik said:
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by The Light, exceptionally good song from 70s, if I'm not mistaken a cover of Bruce's Springsteen version.

I feel so dumb. I always thought this was done by Electric Light Orchestra.

Anyway, I just got She and Him - Volume 1. It's an album from actress Zooey Deschanel (she's in Elf, Almost Famous, and Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy) and Matt Ward (of M. Ward fame) and it's great. Kind of a throw-back record to late-50s Motown, but I grew up listening to, and loving, my parents Oldies so it's just about the best record this year so far.

Jul 1, 2008 12:58 PM

Got myself some new music :D

Killswitch Engage - As Daylight Dies
I saw them at Metaltown (2-day festival in Gothenburg) and was really impressed. Metalcore influenced by melodic death metal. Great album. Daylight Dies and My Curse are my favorite songs.

Danko Jones - Never Too Loud
Pedal-to-the-metal rock 'n' roll. Good album, but their previous stuff are better imo.

Sonic Syndicate - Only Inhuman
More metalcore. I've been wanting this album for quite a while, actually, so I ordered it last week, and it came yesterday. Good stuff, but they aren't good enough to fight with the big ones (such as BFMV).

Enter Shikari - Take To the Skies
Great post-hardcore with lots of synthesized effects. Recommended

Jul 1, 2008 4:44 PM
forlacik said:
Manfred Mann's Earth Band - Blinded by The Light, exceptionally good song from 70s, if I'm not mistaken a cover of Bruce's Springsteen version.

You are indeed correct. The first song from his first album, Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J. =D

Speaking of Bruce, I just bought his The Wild, The Innocent, and the E Street Shuffle. A very good album. I really enjoyed the jazzy feel the album had.

Jul 1, 2008 7:37 PM

Nightwish - Over The Hills And Far Away
The live versions of some of their well-known songs on this EP are great. As for the new songs themselves, either I don't like them, or I'm too obsessed with...

Nightwish - Once

...this Nightwish album to bother listening to those songs at the moment. Oceanborn is still better than this album though. A few songs sort of sound a bit more straightforward and even a little mainstream, but then again, how mainstream is Symphonic Power Metal anyway?

I do have Century Child, but I'm missing their final song, so I won't comment on that Nightwish album yet.

LCD Soundsystem - Sound of Silver

*insert insane amount of praise that this album already has lots of*

Jul 3, 2008 11:30 AM

Just came back from a spree of New York, Glastonbury and Brighton =D. Managed to pick up:

Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Porcupine Tree - On The Sunday Of Life...
Mastodon - Remission
Stabbing Westward - Darkest Days
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Tool - 10,000 Days
65daysofstatic - The Destruction Of Small Ideas
Novembre - The Blue
Opeth - Lamentations CD
Raunchy - Confusion Bay
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath
The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium
Mouth Of The Architect - Time And Withering
Björk - Selmasongs
Björk - Debut Live
Björk - Post Live
The Delgados - Hate
Iron Maiden - No Prayer For The Dying

Yeah...that cost me quite a lot despite most of them being between £5 and £8...

Jul 5, 2008 1:28 PM

Opeth - Watershed
Amazing album, to say the least. No song really sounds the same as the other, there's everything from the rather calm Coil to their possibly heaviest song ever; Heir Apparent.

Scar Symmetry - Holographic Universe
I had high expectations from this. And I can say that this possibly is the best album I've ever listened to. Brilliant lyrics, cool riffs and clever shifting between growls and clean vocals. Best band ever, in my opinion :p
This certainly is something every melodic/progressive death metal fan should listen to.

Jul 5, 2008 7:29 PM

Seasonreaper said:
Just came back from a spree of New York, Glastonbury and Brighton =D. Managed to pick up:

Porcupine Tree - Fear Of A Blank Planet
Porcupine Tree - Deadwing
Porcupine Tree - In Absentia
Porcupine Tree - On The Sunday Of Life...
Mastodon - Remission
Stabbing Westward - Darkest Days
Dream Theater - Octavarium
Tool - 10,000 Days
65daysofstatic - The Destruction Of Small Ideas
Novembre - The Blue
Opeth - Lamentations CD
Raunchy - Confusion Bay
The Mars Volta - The Bedlam In Goliath
The Mars Volta - De-Loused In The Comatorium
Mouth Of The Architect - Time And Withering
Björk - Selmasongs
Björk - Debut Live
Björk - Post Live
The Delgados - Hate
Iron Maiden - No Prayer For The Dying

Yeah...that cost me quite a lot despite most of them being between £5 and £8...

That Delgaods album looks really out of place. You've got metal, Bjork and then a... Dave Fridmann album? Well, The Delgados are a great band so w/e I guess

Anyway, I've illegally downloaded Beck's newest album, Modern Guilt and I like it a lot. It's a bit more serious than his last few and actually sounds like an album, not just a collection of songs.

Jul 5, 2008 9:35 PM

GomuBlade said:
Opeth - Watershed
Amazing album, to say the least. No song really sounds the same as the other, there's everything from the rather calm Coil to their possibly heaviest song ever; Heir Apparent.

Yeah, I'm hooked on this album now, after listening to it some more. Hex Omega is my fav track at the moment, although I love Coil and Heir Apparent too.

Daft Punk - Alive 07
Finally have it. Spectacular Live album, with great mashups. One More Time/Aerodynamic and Da Funk/Daftendirekt are my fav two tracks at the moment.

Dream Theater - A Change of Seasons
FINALLY HAVE IT. But at least, the wait is worth it, when I buy DT albums instead of downloading them. The 23 minute Epic Title Track is well...epic. The cover songs are ok.

Jul 6, 2008 3:35 AM
Pest — Necessary Measures
Freaky beats and odd samples with a touch of jazz, electronica and hip-hop thrown in for good measure. From the same label as Coldcut, Hexstatic, Mr. Scruff, Roots Manuva and other awesomeness so I was expecting something good and I'm pretty much satisfied. Jefferson Shuffle and the opening track Chicken Spit are by far my favourite picks.

Jul 7, 2008 8:38 AM

More CD's for me. Yeah I spend too much on CD's lol.

Anathema - Judgement
Anathema - A Natural Disaster
65daysofstatic - The Fall Of Math
65daysofstatic - One Time For All Time
Iron Maiden - The X Factor

Jul 7, 2008 8:09 PM

Soul Calibur II Soundtrack

Yes. Music of this game is pretty epic, I liked the music better in II rather then III.

Jul 8, 2008 10:31 AM

ran across a cd shop today and even through most was not my music they had some nice things in between that my shelf still had lacked.

Arch Enemy - Rise of the Tyrant
Heaven Shall Burn - Iconoclast
Norther - N

but really have to get Diablos, Equilibriums and Scar Symmetrys new album soon...

Jul 8, 2008 2:09 PM

Last album(s)
Foo Fighters - Echoes, Silence, Patience & Grace
Asian Kung-fu Generation - World World World
Both awsome albums should be getting some more cds soon

Jul 9, 2008 11:07 PM

last album : Kaki King - Dreaming of Revenge

i wanted/needed a physical copy and got it for less than 9 bucks XD

Jul 10, 2008 4:26 AM
DB Administrator
Plus Ultra

Rurutia - 01st Mini Album - Opus
Very nice voice, I'm gonna listen to some more of her music.

MAXIMUM THE HORMONE - Tsume Tsume Tsume~F
Awesome single! The tracks are great, I can't wait for more!

She Wants Revenge - Save Your Soul EP
Not as good as the previous stuff, but good enough to keep.

Nirvana - Nevermind
Finally got the CD. Classics.

Tech N9ne - Killer
Very great new Tecca Nina stuff. I don't like this album as much as I like Everready though.

open.staff.applications  
guidelines.faq  
report.abuse

Thx Kina.

[H+] ³  

Jul 11, 2008 8:35 AM
DB Administrator
Plus Ultra

I mate started listening to Volbeat. A Danish Heavy Metal / Rockabilly band which makes great music!

They have released two albums so far, The Strength/The Sound/The Songs and Rock the Rebel/Metal the Devil. Great stuff, really. It's a shame I didn't find out about them earlier. Check them out on last.fm, you can stream 30 secs of a few tracks there. I did that for the song Radio Girl and went off to get their stuff. A third album is coming soon too!

open.staff.applications  
guidelines.faq  
report.abuse

Thx Kina.

[H+] ³  

Jul 11, 2008 1:04 PM

I don't post much these days but:

Motoro Faam - ...And Water Cycles
Ambient Electronic. Check them out on last.fm. I must say, shit's awesome. Thanks to Neverender for sharing.

Jul 12, 2008 1:28 AM

Sounds nice, might listen to them later tonight. I need some new electronic music.

The Mars Volta - De-Loused in the Comatorium
Debut album from TMV, the first band formed after At the Drive-In split up. It's very strange, as I expected it to be. The songs are hit or miss for me. Drunkship of Lanterns, Inertiatic ESP and Televators are awesome, but some of the other songs are messy or longer than they need to be. And the next album has longer songs...

Sparta - Threes
Latest album from Sparta, the second band formed after the ATDI split. Overall it's a very solid, very enjoyable album.

Jul 12, 2008 11:12 AM

Scar Symmerty - Holographic Universe
First time listening to these guys, and i must say, I'm impressed. Great album. Cool riffs, brilliant shifting between clean vocals and growls. It reminded me of another Swedish band, Soilwork.

Maximum the Hormone - Tsume Tsume Tsume~F
A new level of MtH-awesomeness. Need moar.

Jul 13, 2008 11:41 AM

Was celebrating my last Mathematics Test at University and bought 3 Disturbed CD's

Disturbed: - The Sickness ; - Ten Thousand Fists ; - Indestructible

Jul 13, 2008 11:55 AM
DB Administrator
Plus Ultra

That's good celebration material right there!

open.staff.applications  
guidelines.faq  
report.abuse

Thx Kina.

[H+] ³  

Pages (12) « First ... « 3 4 [5] 6 7 » ... Last »