Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
Mar 16, 2014 1:03 AM
Jul 2018
A bit surprised after looking through the reviews and talking to others at just how many people have such a negative experience with SoniAni, many of whom dropped the show before making it halfway... Is it simply because the show isn't the full on ecchi fan service bonanza a lot of people expected? Are we just experiencing the typical hyperbole people like to engage in? Or do people honestly feel it's that bad (or too boring, depending on who you ask/what you like)?

I'm a fan of the show, so take that as you will. I don't think it's anything special but it's far from terrible either.
Mar 16, 2014 1:44 AM
Nov 2013
It fails from an ecchi perspective.
It fails at having good characterisation.
It fails at being a slice of life.
It fails at entertaining the viewer.
The music is generic and mediocre.

There is not a single damn thing which it excels in. The negative vibe is befitting for a such a lacklustre and meaningless series like this.
Mar 16, 2014 1:50 AM
Nov 2008
The whole point of the show is watching Sonico be the biggest ditsy cutie ever. I don't know why you'd watch it for any other reason.
Mar 16, 2014 2:19 AM
Jul 2018
traps said:
It fails from an ecchi perspective.
It fails at having good characterisation.
It fails at being a slice of life.
It fails at entertaining the viewer.
The music is generic and mediocre.

There is not a single damn thing which it excels in. The negative vibe is befitting for a such a lacklustre and meaningless series like this.

I'm not sure what you really wanted/expected. No one had high expectations from this in terms of it being something great, but it's done a pretty solid job with the basics. A girl in a band hangs out with her friends and occasionally does some modeling work on the side, pretty simple. Everyone has their own opinion, I'm not trying to get anyone to change their viewpoint or even watch the anime. It just feels like most of the SoniAni critiques are a bit excessive, I can't even call it trolling.

Heredity said:
The whole point of the show is watching Sonico be the biggest ditsy cutie ever. I don't know why you'd watch it for any other reason.

^ Pretty much this.
Mar 16, 2014 5:42 PM

Nov 2011
layfonkun said:
A bit surprised after looking through the reviews and talking to others at just how many people have such a negative experience with SoniAni, many of whom dropped the show before making it halfway... Is it simply because the show isn't the full on ecchi fan service bonanza a lot of people expected? Are we just experiencing the typical hyperbole people like to engage in? Or do people honestly feel it's that bad (or too boring, depending on who you ask/what you like)?

I'm a fan of the show, so take that as you will. I don't think it's anything special but it's far from terrible either.

Pretty much this, its common for shows a lot of people find to be below-average(I'm not one of those people).

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Mar 18, 2014 3:51 AM

Oct 2012
Tehe first post on forum except club posts!

I was about to write a more positive review on this anime myself after seeing the (very) negative ones up now, but, I'm not much of a reviewer so couldn't do it.

Just wanted to say something... somewhere.

I'm loving this anime, I don't mind fanservice, I simply look past it, and really, while in some episdoes there was fanservice for a rather large portion of the episode, sometimes there were none in others.
Maybe I've just grown resistant to fanservice animes after the ones I've watched. '-'

I'm a slice of life fan myself and was enjoying the episodes I've seen just as much as any (ok,there are quite a few exceptions though) others to be honest.
I'm not much of a story person and mostly like animes with just fun and peaceful moments. (Ikoku Meiro no Croisée comes to mind)

All in all, I'm liking it, funny and sometimes really peaceful anime that I can just relax and have a good time with, for me.
Luckily I'm not one to listen or even read reviews, especially on MAL.
So many animes I've watched that are up there among my favourites that have terrible reviews sadly. '-'
Mar 18, 2014 4:25 AM

Mar 2013
Heredity said:

^this
Mar 18, 2014 5:37 AM

Feb 2008
Some people just can't get by the character design of Sonico. They immediately vote down and bad mouth anything where the character is drawn with larger breasts or a hint of sexuality. I admit that I was expecting a bit more fan service than this series has had, but I have been very impressed with the quality Slice of Life story lines that's come from this show. Sonico's trip in episode 7 was a great case in point along with the main story about Ayaka's Christmas wish in this week's episode.

Another reason not to judge anime by just it's cover (or character designs).
Mar 18, 2014 5:52 AM

Aug 2013
Their expectations weren't met (whatever it was). The art kind of threw me off at first but when I look at it as a SoL anime, I think it accomplished what it was set to do: little to no drama, pretty chill and just watching Sonico live her daily life.
"May those who accept their fate be granted happiness."

"May those who defy their fate be granted glory."
Mar 18, 2014 6:05 AM

Aug 2012
Heredity said:

^This
Expecting anything other than this will only lead you to misery and frustration.
Mar 18, 2014 7:39 AM

Sep 2013
From what I've seen in reviews and forum posts, people who like fan service expected fan service, and people who don't like it complain because its full of it. Its just like you said,
Heredity said:
Mar 18, 2014 4:18 PM

Dec 2007
People just like to hop on the hate train.

I find it amusing that the score is so low and there are so many negative reviews, when people on the episode discussions don't find anything wrong with the show at most part.

I even saw a comment on one profile saying 'That Super Sonico show is making me furious' or something, yet they still watch it.
People just like to express negativity as much as they like to express positivity, just for kicks.

I can understand why people find this show unlikeable, but why keep on watching something you dislike? This show was meant to be a Slice of Life with touches of fanservice with Sonico, the Nitro+ mascot with the ditsy characteristic and a large chest. That's what the show promised to be, and that it is.

Yet some people expect the show to be with conflict, drama, murders, plot twists and bloodthirsty psycho killers? If you want to enjoy a Slice of Life show with Nitro+ mascot, then watch it. If you want a harem of Yanderes hacking each other to bloody bits then go watch that.

It makes no sense to me to watch something you'd know you will dislike from the start and go boast about it. For the sake of criticism that's acceptable. But the reviews I see on the Sonico page are just pure hate on how the show is sexist because the cast has big breasts, and how the show is only meant to sell more merchandise and nobody can possibly enjoy Super Sonico The Animation.

Well I do, and I'm not the only one.
Mar 19, 2014 3:45 AM

Oct 2012
loplop said:
Sonico's trip in episode 7 was a great case in point along with the main story about Ayaka's Christmas wish in this week's episode.

Loved that episode<3
Mar 23, 2014 9:26 AM

Nov 2012
I only really watch it for Ouka-chan, the zombie episode really saved it for me.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Mar 23, 2014 12:36 PM

Apr 2012
I started late. I'm 5 episodes in and so far each episode has been better than the previous one. The first three episodes were boring, but now it's getting better. I'll probably stick with it. Even if it never gets better, at least it's better than Pupa.
Mar 24, 2014 2:06 PM

Jun 2012
People expected K-On S3 and got mad.
Mar 24, 2014 6:18 PM

Jul 2012
People just have some terrible opinions, I guess? o-o
I mean, yeah, there are lots of negative reviews on a cute anime like this, but maybe people expected more from this anime, and they just didn't get it, so they're hating. :/

Whatever though, I just say to myself "Screw people's horrible opinions" and just keep watching a great anime, forget and ignore the negative reviews. :3
Mar 25, 2014 8:50 AM

Nov 2012
rickywolfy said:
I mean, yeah, there are lots of negative reviews on a cute anime like this, but maybe people expected more from this anime, and they just didn't get it, so they're hating. :/

Whatever though, I just say to myself "Screw people's horrible opinions" and just keep watching a great anime, forget and ignore the negative reviews. :3

Wait, do you honestly think that super sonico is a great anime?
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Mar 25, 2014 10:52 AM

Dec 2007
no_good_name said:
rickywolfy said:

Is that really a blasphemy for some people, Having a different opinion, on entertainment no less?...
Mar 25, 2014 11:32 AM

Dec 2012
no_good_name said:
rickywolfy said:

i think its good, and what do you now?
Mar 25, 2014 12:39 PM

Nov 2012
I've watched great anime and i've watched some that is truly awful, while sonico wasn't awful but was woefully average.

For you to call it great just makes you look lie you've not viewed much.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Mar 25, 2014 6:16 PM

Jun 2012
no_good_name said:
I've watched great anime and i've watched some that is truly awful, while sonico wasn't awful but was woefully average.

For you to call Watamote great makes you look like you've not viewed much.

I can do that same half baked argument too.
Mar 25, 2014 6:17 PM

Feb 2013
Heredity said:

Mar 26, 2014 9:53 AM

Nov 2012
lazyboy0337 said:
no_good_name said:

Sorry bud but you just lost by posting that, comparing watamote to sonico is just ridiculous.
私のホバークラフトはウナギでいっぱいです。
Mar 26, 2014 10:06 AM

May 2009
Don't get the hate either. It still was better than shit like Yuyushiki or Kiniro Mosaic.
Mar 26, 2014 10:34 AM

Nov 2011
no_good_name said:

Why is it so hard for you to understand that some people have different tastes than you do?

My Twitter : link
My Last.fm : link
Mar 26, 2014 12:47 PM

May 2012
I didn't complete this anime yet, but I don't think it is a good anime

If you are watching this because of the cute females. then I recommend watching Z/X: Ignition which has even cuter females. And unlike sonico it has story and action
Mar 28, 2014 7:26 AM

Nov 2011
I didn't really go into this show excepting much. It wasn't as bad as I thought it would be, so I kept on watching.

But then I just stopped watching at some point. While I did like some bits of it, I guess I just got bored with it.

This is the first time this has happened, so I can't offer an explanation as to what caused it.

If people like watching something like Sonico, I don't have a problem with it. I just think they could spend more time watching high-quality non-content instead of... just non-content.
Mar 28, 2014 12:02 PM

Jun 2012
no_good_name said:
lazyboy0337 said:
no_good_name said:

Sorry bud but you just lost by posting that, comparing watamote to sonico is just ridiculous.

You're right, Sonico was enjoyable.
Mar 28, 2014 4:07 PM
May 2013
I genuinely liked this show. It was what every Slice of Life aims to be: relaxing and heartfelt, without the need for tons of story.

I do find it ironic that some people are hating on the show because they see Sonico's character design and think it must be some terrible ecchi anime with loads of fanservice. Which is funny, because the fanservice is pretty tame.

Even funnier, you have sexually repressed people who can't handle big breasts, and then you have sexually deprived people who think said big breasts aren't enough.

Me? I just enjoyed Sonico for the cute, ditsy character that she was.
Mar 28, 2014 7:51 PM

Sep 2012
I enjoyed it for simply being laid back, amusing, and oddly relaxing. Especially the traveling episode. The minor fan service they had didn't better than at all, I guess it's because I have what alot of people nowadays tend to lack: open minded tolerance.
Apr 5, 2014 9:32 AM

Jul 2012
no_good_name said:
rickywolfy said:

Yes? o-o Got a problem with that--
Actually, I'm just gonna ignore you, that's all. o-o I have a strong feeling that you hated it. :/
Apr 5, 2014 9:33 AM

Jan 2013
People wanted this to be an anime about Sonico being Sonico.

That's what it is.

Not sure what people expected.
Apr 27, 2014 4:45 AM

Jul 2013
The anime has a low rating for MAL, but the rating is quite accurate this time. I gave it a 6 too. Because it is a good show but not really amazing. Just something you watch lazely on a sunday with a mug of coco or coffee. Except the EP with Sonicos trip, that one I really enjoyed because it was pure SoL-stuff.

thepath said:
I didn't complete this anime yet, but I don't think it is a good anime
If you are watching this because of the cute females. then I recommend watching Z/X: Ignition which has even cuter females. And unlike sonico it has story and action

Z/X, story? Oh well, if you call a series of pasted cliches a story, then maybe. Not everyone is into action and the girls arent as cute as sonico.
Aug 6, 2014 12:14 AM

Jan 2012
make sonico and her friends into 12 year old girls instead and watch the views and ratings skyrocket...

srsly, this shit is no different than 99% of shitty little school girls doing stupid random shit slice of shit anime out there..

I think most are just disappointed that sonico is already physically fully developed..

fuck is fucking gay earth
Aug 12, 2014 12:00 AM
Jul 2013
but atleast this is a better anime than K-on!
Oct 9, 2014 10:13 AM
Aug 2013
IMO this is better than K-On.

However, this show came a few years too late, after the light music craze had already passed.
Oct 17, 2014 4:04 AM

Nov 2013
I don't really care about the reviews of other people, I review on the basis of enjoyment(70%) and how the anime really is(30%) and yes I did enjoy this anime, I saw it with low expectations and was fairly entertained.

More topics from this board

Poll: » Super Sonico The Animation Episode 4 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Jan 27, 2014

55 by V4mpsqu1dz »»
Nov 25, 2023 8:28 PM

Poll: » Super Sonico The Animation Episode 8 Discussion

Stark700 - Feb 24, 2014

34 by Destroyer31 »»
Nov 24, 2023 8:54 AM

Poll: » Super Sonico The Animation Episode 1 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Jan 6, 2014

180 by White_Alice »»
Oct 10, 2023 10:03 PM

Poll: » Super Sonico The Animation Episode 9 Discussion

Stark700 - Mar 3, 2014

37 by AdityaRizkiS »»
Oct 5, 2023 12:07 PM

Poll: » Super Sonico The Animation Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 24, 2014

84 by SerahKyu »»
Jan 2, 2022 8:10 AM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.