Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Mar 15, 2014 8:55 PM

Nov 2011
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
Well, this was a rather interesting episode. We get TRACTOR BEAMS.

I really like the way the black and white colors are done to illustrate the backgrounds.
That little book alien is kinda cute I guess. Seems like even they have dreams and filling their pages. Well anyways, I thought the episode was unique. Wtf ending there.
Mar 15, 2014 8:56 PM

Jul 2013
The box is really mysterious, yet it's messing up people's head, (Dr. Gel XD). Onward to Lagado. Oh damn Dandy took out most of Dr. Gel's fleet with a single beam.

QT acting weird with all that Data munching it. LOL Dr. Gel figured out the formula where Dandy drew it XD. IDK it was weird in the 2nd half, but then they were given by a box, which is the same thing from the beginning with a video tape...

Mar 15, 2014 8:56 PM

Jul 2013
So there's an alien that can make you forget, I wonder how Dandy was able to capture it. The colors in this episode are more on the dark side, gives it a very ominous feeling (Same with the planet Logado). I don't get what that formula on the paper means, but it looks like boobs was the solution :3 (From Gel's perspective). These book aliens are kind of creepy, but their ability to manipulate people's brains is pretty interesting. And now that explains how they got that box in the first place, and it's almost like a loop from the previous episode (Except this time a video tape). I guess this explains the rise of media over books XD
Mar 15, 2014 8:57 PM

Sep 2011
Such box. So mysterious. Very dandy.No money for them again. Two more episode to go, and then another season sometime later.
TyrelMar 15, 2014 9:06 PM
Mar 15, 2014 8:59 PM

May 2012
Crazy episode. So I'm guessing the secret of life or Dandy's powers is boobs. I could have told the gorilla that. The black and white coloring was pretty cool. Dat cash pay out. They would have never been broke again.

Jan 2014
This episode was kinda confusing… and that preview wtf xD

Sep 2013
That's some awesome ambiance.

Alloha beam is pretty cool.

"Man cannot live off data alone." True dat.

With boobs everything makes sense.

Lol the great librarian is a little girl XD

Interesting that was all a backstory.

We didn't even get a chance what was on the tape :( this episode was so freaking troll, we didn't learn anything not even what the Dr. had discovered (although it probably had something to do with boobs :3)

Tyrel said:
Such box. So mysterious. More dandy, no money for them again. One more episode to go, and then another season sometime later.
One episode? I was under the impression we had 2 left...
Mar 15, 2014 9:00 PM

Mar 2012
Boobs: The answer to all of life's problems.
Mar 15, 2014 9:00 PM

Jan 2011
I'm sure that was a good episode, but I don't remember what happened.

BE MY BABY
[center]
Mar 15, 2014 9:01 PM

Sep 2011
Tyrel said:
Such box. So mysterious. Very dandy.No money for them again. One more episode to go, and then another season sometime later.
theres 2 more episodes left

i loved this episode though i really have no clue what was going on with DR gel sayign hes learned dandy's power, maybe that has something to do with the multiple time lines thing people speculated on

Immahnoob said:
Jizzy, I know you have no idea how to argue for shit,

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 15, 2014 9:01 PM

Oct 2012
Really weird episode this week, but I think that I enjoyed the episode.
Mar 15, 2014 9:03 PM

Sep 2012
Great episode! Gave off a very Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy vibe.
Mar 15, 2014 9:04 PM

Mar 2012
That was a weird episode but it was pretty fun.

Dandy pulling an Irresponsible Captain Tylor moment with the Aloha Beam against the Gogol Empire was pretty awesome and the ambiance was set really well by the near monochrome art style.

Meanwhile, Dr. Gel provided some very intriguing foreshadowing before his death.

5/5
(Also known on other places as Hiss13)

All hail the adorable chess master!
Mar 15, 2014 9:04 PM

Dec 2012
I feel like there was kinda a loop going.. They returned to where they started nearly.
Now I know Dandy can kick The Ogle empire's ass with his one laser beam if they weren't so outnumbered.
Did Dr. Gel discover and say that Dandy was really powerful or something? I've always wondered what his background was.

wtf with the preview?
Mar 15, 2014 9:06 PM

Sep 2011
JizzyHitler said:
Tyrel said:
Such box. So mysterious. Very dandy.No money for them again. One more episode to go, and then another season sometime later.

i loved this episode though i really have no clue what was going on with DR gel sayign hes learned dandy's power, maybe that has something to do with the multiple time lines thing people speculated on

Oh, right. I forgot it was 13/13 and not 12/12 episodes.
Mar 15, 2014 9:07 PM

Sep 2011
so can we all just take a second to appreciate that dandy had a random moment of badassness of epic proportions because he thought people were trying to get to a buffet before him

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Jizzy as you would call yourself because youre a dick The most butthurt award goes to you And clearly you havent watched that many shows thats why you cant determine if a show is unique or not Or maybe you're just a child who likes common stuffs where hero saves the day and guys gets all the girls. Sad taste you have there kid you came up to me in the first place making you look more like a kid who got slapped without me even knowing it and start crying about it to me

Mar 15, 2014 9:12 PM

Dec 2012
JizzyHitler said:
Tyrel said:

Maybe Dandy's power mentioned in this episode has something to do with the ending of episode 7 (the space race) where Dandy saw a giant golden statue of himself. I'm probably just making a weird assumption out of this..
Mar 15, 2014 9:18 PM

Sep 2011
RaspberryFruits said:
JizzyHitler said:
Tyrel said:

Maybe Dandy's power mentioned in this episode has something to do with the ending of episode 7 (the space race) where Dandy saw a giant golden statue of himself. I'm probably just making a weird assumption out of this..
nah that was just some reference to the ending to a really bad and obscure anime from the 90's
http://myanimelist.net/anime/1966/Ankoku_Shinwa
which i swear to god i need to watch one day

seriously though this is the first time i really bought the multiple time lines thing, thats why DR gel was saying its no use and pointless to try and get out, because dandy has the power to make multiple time lines somehow, which id assume is also why the gogol empire wants him. I swear if the show pulls this im giving it a deifnite 9/10
JizzyHitlerMar 15, 2014 9:24 PM

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Mar 15, 2014 9:22 PM
Jul 2013
This episode was so much win! The art style was fantastic, we learn that honey is more than she let's on, and the whole episode seemingly led up to an ending that was a punchline about the late '80s format wars. The futurama references were pretty awesome as well.

Its been really hard to pick, but I have to say this episode is definitely my new favorite.
Mar 15, 2014 9:24 PM

Dec 2012
random as usual
my avatar is the bus driver from Rosario + Vampire
Mar 15, 2014 11:08 PM

Feb 2014
Well that was in- .. bizarre. Haha I laugh at Meow when he said "Could ya dumb it down for us." Classic.
The higher I get , The lower I'll sink.

Mar 15, 2014 11:57 PM

Jul 2008
The book's voice was so cute. XD
Lol'd when the announcer talked about a war that dragged the entire universe into it, but there were no records of it. lmao
Mar 16, 2014 3:19 AM

Nov 2013
"There were no records it ever even happened".

Loved the simple, yet subtle, Gainax style animation this week. Very thought provoking episode. I'm curious to see how everything is going to be wrapped up in the end or if it gets wrapped up at all.
Mar 16, 2014 3:22 AM

Nov 2013
JizzyHitler said:
Tyrel said:

Can you link me to where it says there are only 13 episodes?? Toonami says 26, and MAL doesn't say anything. Usually if there's a few more episodes left, someone in MAL updates the list.
Mar 16, 2014 3:35 AM

Feb 2014
Wow, what did I just watch; will have to watch again to rate it. Being as bizarre as possible seems to be this show's main strength (still love the show), but I think this one went over my head. The charcoal drawings/colors was unique but Honey did not look attractive at first . From what I understood (most likely wrong), the epilogue explained the format wars of betamax/vhs and hddvd/bluray (Im probably overthinking the episode.)

What the hell was with the "Book Ends" ending that was different from the first scene? Did they first find the overdue book (being manipulated by the book) and take it to the registration center, then at the end took a 2nd box with a VHS(two separate occasions on a linear timeline); or did the timeline change (standard Space Dandy) or was their memory rewritten as in the order being:

1. They were manipulated by the book (not shown or thoroughly explained) and "steal it"
2. They then take it back to the library planet (under the book's control)
3. They get a boxed gift from the girl book (or w/e)
4. They take box to the registration center and try to prevent opening the box, knowing that it is indeed an alien but will cost them their memory of steps 1 to 3
5. At the end of the episode we see it from their perspective and it appears random

I still don't get it, but those letters in the air reminded of the first Mushishi episode where the boy writes letters that come to life. Well after thinking about it 5/5 fort his episode just for the mind fuck.
Mar 16, 2014 3:46 AM

Feb 2014
Reply to Decide (don't know how to do a real reply or quote here, sorry)
I have heard but cannot find a true source but apparently Space Dandy with be split into 2 cours with an unknown break between the two, so we should have 2 more episodes, a break, then hopefully 13 more down the road.
Mar 16, 2014 6:54 AM

Sep 2011
Decide said:
JizzyHitler said:
Tyrel said:

Can you link me to where it says there are only 13 episodes?? Toonami says 26, and MAL doesn't say anything. Usually if there's a few more episodes left, someone in MAL updates the list.
i have no clue where the interview is but wattannabe confirmed on some radio show or something that its a split 2 cour series, also the animators wouldnt shut up about how they loved animating episode 16 of the series which is going to be directed by none other than this guy
http://myanimelist.net/people/5068/Yuasa_Masaaki

Immahnoob said:

tokiyashiro said:

Mar 16, 2014 8:05 AM

Sep 2011
Holly shit that is one mind fuck confusing ep! I don't understand damnit!
Mar 16, 2014 8:15 AM

Feb 2014
Sounds like episode 16 will be good, that dude was the key animator to my favorite Samurai Champloo episode- the one where Mugen has to return that dude's head and then the field of pot burns up.
I was thinking that Bebop had a similar episode to this one when Faye gets that Betamax tape and Spike and Jet gotta find a player but accidentally bring back a VHS player, or maybe it's the other way around.
Anyways, at least I can look forward to more zany adventures "in space"
Mar 16, 2014 9:15 AM

Mar 2014
What if the VHS tape in the box was Faye Valentine's childhood video?
Updated my journal
Mar 16, 2014 10:49 AM

Mar 2010
RaspberryFruits said:

The main theory going around is that Dandy pulling the cosmic string in the first episode was the trigger and would make more sense, because other END (of a timeline) episodes (1 and 4) occurred before 7. "If we go pulling on it all willy nilly, there's a chance that space time will distort even more" And looking back at the first episode, the warp drive is broken there, but in a more recent episode like 8 (in an alternate timeline?), it's perfectly fine.
brianwuzhereMar 16, 2014 11:02 AM
Mar 16, 2014 12:31 PM
Jan 2011
Just as what its episode says it is.
Mar 16, 2014 1:04 PM

Jan 2008
Ah, those floating parts of equation reminded me of Mushishi.

Great animation and good, random (as always) episode.
-
Mar 16, 2014 1:20 PM

Aug 2013
oh man what an episode, although I really wanna see what happened in those 6 months though
Yo
Mar 16, 2014 1:25 PM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Realhumanbean said:
What if the VHS tape in the box was Faye Valentine's childhood video?

Nah. That was a Betamax tape!

That was one heck of a loop at the end. I'm gonna watch it again.

Next time I have a formula that I cannot finish, I now know that boobies are the answer.
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Mar 16, 2014 2:13 PM
Jul 2018
It was a weird episode about the book parasite and the library. Too bad, Dandy didn't get money as the register again.
Mar 16, 2014 2:32 PM

Jan 2014
Not a bad episode, I liked what they did to the background making it black and white. I don't think a piece of paper can blush, but hey its Space Dandy BABY !
Also: Boobs are the answer to EVERYTHING :P
Mar 16, 2014 4:14 PM

Mar 2010
"All work and no play leads to a monotonous existence"
HA.
Dr. Who reference?
Uh-oh, we're in Film Noir Land now.
Lol Dandy has a hole in that paper bag to show off his pompadour.
I love how everyone cares so much about QT's update problem.
"Now, that you mention it, it does look like that's what it says, huh?"
Right after the alphabetical characters change around.
"Dandy and his buddies always hang out here, why does it feel like I haven't seen them in a while"
Come to think of it, they haven't actually been to Boobies since episode 7, the last time we got an END finale. Could this be acknowledging that there are alternate timelines? Whatevs, moving on…
Whoa, Bea is an actual character now?
Yay, Dandy learned from his math mistake in ep 9.
LOL firing back.
The firing sequence right after they put on the visors reminds me of Yamato.
Man, that sketchy animation was all kinds of gorgeous.
DELICIOUS DATA.
YOU GUYS AND YOUR BAD TASTE JUST DON'T UNDERSTAND!
Yeah, I don't even care how off model the Statue of Liberty ship is right here if it was for the sake of that action scene earlier.
OF COURSE! BOOBIES!
Not remembering kicking ass is actually perfect for Dandy.
I wonder if QT consumed data from any of the aforementioned creepy books.
Pretty sure it just spells boobies.
The last page with the branching out diagram could be another hint.
Before many-worlds, reality had always been viewed as a single unfolding history. Many-worlds, however, views reality as a many-branched tree, wherein every possible quantum outcome is realized.

THE OBSOLETE FORMAT WARS!
Mar 16, 2014 5:44 PM

Sep 2013
Art style was cool. The end melted my brain
Mar 16, 2014 6:54 PM

Feb 2012
Wasn't as confusing as people made it out to be...

Dr. Gel figured out that boobies = universe bending powers, which also kills anyone who knows the reason why (or in his case, mathematically figured it out lol). This phenomena ends up killing Gel (again). The only thing is, why has he been getting killed in timelines where he hasn't figured out the formula yet?
Mar 16, 2014 10:51 PM

Jul 2010
I feel like I just forgot what I saw, but I believe that it was really good with indeed a unique art style, once again.
Mar 16, 2014 11:23 PM
Jan 2014
This episode was fantastic, can't say much more about it.
The art in this episode was wierd, yet impressive.
Still confused about what happened though
Mar 17, 2014 1:17 AM

Jan 2009
confusing episode
Mar 17, 2014 5:25 AM

Jul 2010
That book is the most adorable character I've ever seen.
But yeah, this episode was pretty interesting. Perhaps it's giving us hints for an overarching storyline?
Mar 17, 2014 5:45 AM

Oct 2011
I hope to see Dandy' amazing powers!!
Mar 17, 2014 9:12 AM

Mar 2012
Well that was.....different.
Mar 17, 2014 10:24 AM

Jan 2008
Moe book. That was... a moe book. Wha...
Mar 17, 2014 10:59 AM

Sep 2013
so that episode was um... well i really can't describe it, but it was more Space Dandy so im not complaining.
Mar 17, 2014 2:40 PM

Sep 2013
The preview for the next episode killed me, be my be my beeee my baby!
Mar 17, 2014 5:58 PM

Mar 2013
what kind of drugs do the creators use
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 13 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 26, 2014

189 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 27, 12:31 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 12 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Stark700 - Mar 22, 2014

95 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 26, 11:10 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

omega_d94 - Mar 8, 2014

138 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 26, 9:54 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 9 Discussion ( 1 2 3 4 )

Stark700 - Mar 1, 2014

161 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 26, 9:17 PM

Poll: » Space☆Dandy Episode 8 Discussion ( 1 2 3 )

Stark700 - Feb 22, 2014

128 by KokoroEnoMesseji »»
Mar 26, 8:11 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.