Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Aug 30, 2009 4:34 PM

Jan 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A hearty WTF to you Ideon. Hearty WTF. Great stuff, if a bit abrupt. Guess the movie will give a more of a better paced resolution!
"I'm starting to think mal is run by Xinil generating electricity on a bicycle." - idklol
Mar 4, 2010 6:15 AM
Sep 2009
Yeah, that's what happens when your budget runs out or you get cancelled. Thank god they made Be Invoked
Sep 7, 2010 7:35 PM
Jul 2008
A great anime in my opinion.
Beatnik said:
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
A hearty WTF to you Ideon. Hearty WTF. Great stuff, if a bit abrupt. Guess the movie will give a more of a better paced resolution!

Indeed. Too bad it never got a lot piase like eva.
Mar 7, 2014 7:36 PM

Dec 2008
That shitty father of Karala's!!

Joliver's confession was quite masculine and sweet at the same time. Yes, Karala is a good person! I'm glad that Joliver didn't realize that until just then, because Bes is the only one for her and she's the only one for him.

Not too thrilled with this ending, but I guess the movie wraps everything up.

Sent with Mal Updater
May 5, 2015 6:33 AM

Jun 2012
Lmao that didnt spoil anything. I shouldve just watched this before be invoked. xP It actually cleared things up that be invoked left out. Like how cosmo and the rest could talk to the buff clan. And I thought Joliver had feelings for Karala. Im glad that was cleared up.

MystGourmet said:
...I'm glad Be Invoked exists. I would've been angry as hell if they left the entire series at this.
Yea same.
Jun 21, 2015 1:07 AM

Jul 2013
That was interesting. All in all a widely varying series. I'm looking forward to seeing the ending done well and not super rushed.
Nov 28, 2015 7:31 PM

Nov 2012
Was good at first but it eventually became tedious to watch and how dated this show was become more apparent as the series went on 6/10.
Jan 14, 2016 12:12 PM

Jun 2012
Hannah_Ana said:
That shitty father of Karala's!!

Joliver's confession was quite masculine and sweet at the same time. Yes, Karala is a good person! I'm glad that Joliver didn't realize that until just then, because Bes is the only one for her and she's the only one for him.

Not too thrilled with this ending, but I guess the movie wraps everything up.

Sent with Mal Updater

Yep, Joliver is a really cool guy!

I really liked Ideon and now I'm curious to see what happens in the movie
Oct 20, 2016 8:15 AM
🥊 CHAMPION 🥊

Apr 2016
The series, in general, was great, with nice moments, dramatics too, but there were some episodes very borings and repetitives ( 8/10 ) although this last episode had a quickly final, and didn´t like much... Buff Clan and Earthians RIP in the books of history of the universe!!!!

Thanks to recomended the films, because I have stayed with that little taste in the mouth, as if missing more.
Dec 28, 2016 9:30 PM

Jul 2010
I'm glad the movie exists because this feels really rushed and not surprising when something gets cancelled and all but this felt like bullshit lol
Jul 3, 2017 1:09 AM

Jan 2010
You know, perhaps the Ideon is the villain of the show. It constantly pushes the plot forward, regardless of what the main characters want. I mean, it was made explicit the past few episodes, but it was really hammered in this final episode. It causes death and destruction wherever it goes. It's a ship of tragedies and great misfortunes. It's a curse.

That being said, throughout this anime, I couldn't understand how the Buff Clan could keep chasing the Ideon. Do they have infinite resources or something? I figured they were, as by their name, a clan with maybe a fleet or three to their name, but they seem to have an entire armada, large enough to conquer solar systems on a whim. Also, I can't quite understand their intentions. At times they want to capture the Ideon, while at others they're out to destroy it. Perhaps at first they wanted to possess the mecha, but at some point it got too powerful for them, thus they decided it was too powerful to leave around. I recall a conversation where the Ideon crew pondered if the Buff Clan were afraid of the Ideon, wondering if they would ever come after the Buff Clan directly and completely annihilate them. As such, the Buff Clan kept attacking the Ideon, which, ironically, made the Ideon stronger and stronger.

The Ideon itself seems capable of manipulating fate to some respects in order to ensure its own survival. However, it's also convenient in how it acts with great precision to enact events throughout the series. To be fair, this is quite indiscriminate, where no one is safe. If anything, the main characters had it the worst, where they've been constantly attacked and alienated throughout the entire series. I think the worst part about this scenario is how the Ideon crew eventually got used to living on the Ideon. At some point, they acted as if getting attacked was routine. While the crew had momentary outbursts where they broke down, the parts where they acted like being attacked was natural spoke a lot more. Though, they truly were broken mentally by the end of the series, just in varying levels of visibility.

But yeah, uh...that ending. What? Did Ide just hit the reset button on humanity? Seemed like the show was cancelled before the anime could conclude, according to what I read, which might explain the abruptness. I guess calling this the predecessor to Evangelion isn't too far fetched.
Jul 25, 2017 6:55 AM

Dec 2015
Nice main episode, who could have been shorter for the sake of the conclusion. 
As for the finale itself, it was pretty and seemed fitting but I'm not sure how to read it.

Tomino really dislikes to compromise about shows duration. The end could have easily been developed on a few more minutes, had the rest of the episode contained less (easy to skip) action. I'm even sure the time management for the two-three last episodes could have been better, had he not been stubbornly expecting a four episodes supplement.

About the show:
Despite an interesting start showing the beginning of a mystery, frictions between relatively close cultures and between individuals (who suffered from low quality drawings or animation), it sadly reveals its super-robot episodic origin rapidly by being excessively slow: the first chunk (12-13eps) of the series is far too stretched out (what we see is interesting but drown in weekly skirmishes). On the other hand, you can exploit this part to grow accustomed to the characters. For the mechas, despite the toy aspect of the titular robot, everything else is well done: be some alien machines evocating War of the Worlds or the fact the Buff Clan's style is easy to discern.
After that the story finally develops a little and tries to retain your attention by speeding up (a bit), while the drawings get slightly better. It all becomes good once the series reaches its last third, culminating in the last three or four episodes (despite the very fast pace it takes then) who offer improvements everywere. Within the later parts even the mandatory repetitive action scenes start to look good (even appealing despite the impression of a human squashing flies).
The conclusion is too abrupt but still works. And it is supposed to be detailed in the finale movie.

Some might also like the multiple references to scifi cinema or Mobile Suit Gundam

Score: 6.5/10 The drama due to the runaway/outcast nature of the heroes is probably the best part here.

About the fansub (by Shin-getter):
Imaginary translations at times, giving birth to dialogues even more awkward than the traditional Tomino dialogues. Some grammar mistakes.
Rei_IIIOct 29, 2018 10:07 AM
Feb 16, 2018 1:58 AM

Oct 2008
I don't care what anybody says ,but this was a chore to sit trough.It wouldn't be a exaggeration if you went back and counted that at least 75% of the entire run-time was just mindless action sequences padded out like crazy (pretty much exactly like the OG Gundam).
If I were to hear one more the "damn you cursed giant/is this the real power of Ide?" or see those damn transformation/heading up towards the cockpit scenes one more time I would bash my head.

Obviously its a product of its time and that the movie if far superior and a worthwhile conclusion (just like with Macross the year after) but I don't think that should excuse all its faults.
Mar 15, 2020 9:21 PM
Nov 2018
lol i love this rushed ending. so much happened this episode. lou and karala's baby is the key to everything.

overall, i had fun watching this series despite the beginning and the ending. it's always cool seeing how they made mecha anime in the 80s, certainly not an easy feat. i appreciate what the creators have done to create a show like this
Mar 19, 2020 6:01 PM

Aug 2012
That Ending! I have to say this final episode was FANTASTIC! Definitely the best episode of the series and honestly, in my meaningless opinion, one of the best episodes of Anime I've ever watched. It was hugely tense and well done. It was crazy but understandable. The series really did ramp up towards the end and I liked that and this ending came about quickly but was really satisfying to me.

------------------------------

Overall Thoughts:

This series was abit of a slog at times. The typical Tomino classic Mecha/Giant Robot series with so many battles every episode as the villians just throw themselves at our heroes over and over again. Along with some of the most stupid names for things (another Tomino quirk), I mean Buff Clan? Logo Dau? Ganga Riv Ruv? Where does he come up with this rubbish?

Having said that I did like the plot and when we got significant story beats they were really interesting. Also alot of the character development was really good.

But overall I think the series is just fine, not really much different from the likes of Gundam or Dunbine. I liked it and I didn't like it. It met my expectations in that regard.

BlaizeVMar 19, 2020 6:04 PM
Jan 31, 2022 8:22 PM
Apr 2012
This anime was fucking rough to get through. Not in the sense that I had to force myself to watch it, but that it was just hard watching the Solo ship crew get attacked again and again. It felt like the Buff clan was using those tracking devices for like 15 episodes. That's 15 episodes of "Why do we keep getting attacked?" Once I hit the halfway point I was eager to see it through to the end.

Fuck you Piper Lou. Hey did you know that webMD lists a crying baby as the 9th most irritating sound of all time? Why would anyone with ears put that shit in almost.EVERY.Episode. Did Tomino even watch his own show? Did he watch it with the sound on? Is he deaf? Piper Lou takes this series from a solid seven to a 6 for me. I literally had to mute the show whenever I saw that brat on screen.
Aug 25, 2022 12:17 PM

Nov 2014
What a ride. I'm glad I decided to watch this instead of the compilation movie. I ended up enjoying it a lot. There were some amazing moments here. It got a bit bogged down in some spots, and not every episode was good, but for the most part I had fun all the way through. The cast was really likeable. Even Sheryl, the character I liked least, was sympathetic by the end. Cosmo was the highlight for me, with him constantly talking shit. Ending was obviously rushed, so I'm glad Be Invoked exists.

Overall, great show. I honestly think I liked it more than 0079.
Jun 22, 2023 6:58 AM

Jul 2011
It's lucky the movie exists because this would be a disappointing ending.

Overall, despite having the middle part pretty repetitive, I enjoyed it a lot more than I expected.
Jul 2, 2023 12:19 AM

May 2019
What a coward for not showing more of Bes and Karala spending time together or maybe in bed together. I fucking knew it that Karala is pregnant from the previous 3 episodes before the last one. But instead they shoving us with typical blow up explosion and shit battle scenes thinking that it's epic but it's not. Well there are some characters are developed but the ending is really abrupt. I give this one 3/10 now it's time for the movie.

Aug 21, 2023 6:31 PM

Sep 2020
Wow, this episode was a full-on rollercoaster, so much craziness! I definitely would've been pissed if that was the final ending so thankfully the movie exists.

Overall, the show wasn't as fun as Gundam and Dunbine IMO, although I'd say the characters were better (especially Cosmo & Bes, true heroes in every sense of the word). But goddamn, some of the worst names ever.

It was a chore to get through most of the time, especially for the 1st half. Then we learn about the Ide and how everybody's pretty much a pawn, which really ramped up the drama toward the end. Which brings me back to the characters - the relationships and conflict between them were great.

I also liked the Buff Clan's mech variety, seemingly impractical but fun.

8.5 "Burn in hell, Lou" /10
"You can't decide the future, but I'm going to re-educate you in the past!" - Erna Kurtz

More topics from this board

Poll: » Densetsu Kyojin Ideon Episode 13 Discussion

Hannah_Ana - Feb 8, 2014

11 by Kuruna_Dagurasu »»
Apr 1, 6:46 AM

Poll: » Densetsu Kyojin Ideon Episode 28 Discussion

Hannah_Ana - Mar 5, 2014

7 by Alita »»
Feb 29, 11:28 AM

offmodel - Apr 21, 2015

1 by KanekiKen523 »»
Oct 15, 2023 9:26 AM

Poll: » Densetsu Kyojin Ideon Episode 33 Discussion

Hannah_Ana - Mar 6, 2014

3 by Lesturr »»
Sep 7, 2023 8:23 PM

Poll: » Densetsu Kyojin Ideon Episode 26 Discussion

Hannah_Ana - Mar 5, 2014

8 by Lesturr »»
Sep 1, 2023 5:54 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.