Forum Settings
Forums
Mar 14, 2014 11:36 AM

JD2411 said:
Dark_Chaos said:
renders said:
oh look another thread where everyone is suggesting their favorite anime

Nope, not at all. I suggested Death Note, Steins Gate and Psycho Pass, but none of them are my favourite. I suggested them because just about anyone can watch them and will most likely love them, even non anime fans. Toradora is my favourite, but it doesn't have a dub, and non anime fans/newcomers will be alienated by Taiga and Minori, so I couldn't suggest Toradora so easily. Even Sword Art Online which has a dub and is considered a great gateway anime may alienate those who are perhaps not too familiar with RPGs.
Toradora is getting a dub m8

Sounds terrible though

OH MY GOD IT IS! I THOUGHT YOU WERE TROLLING, BUT IT REALLY IS! THE TEARS WON'T STOP! :')

Honestly, I thought that it would never get dubbed, and that if it did, it would be completely terrible, like The Familiar Of Zero's dub. It's actually not bad :) Granted, they don't have the best possible cast, and even if they did I doubt it'd be anything compared to the original, but at least it's actually decent :) SO MUCH HYPE! :'D

Mar 14, 2014 11:36 AM
Steins;Gate is not a good Gateway-anime, not at all.

Mar 14, 2014 11:37 AM

dragon ball z

Mar 14, 2014 11:39 AM
Dark_Chaos said:
JD2411 said:
Dark_Chaos said:
renders said:
oh look another thread where everyone is suggesting their favorite anime

Nope, not at all. I suggested Death Note, Steins Gate and Psycho Pass, but none of them are my favourite. I suggested them because just about anyone can watch them and will most likely love them, even non anime fans. Toradora is my favourite, but it doesn't have a dub, and non anime fans/newcomers will be alienated by Taiga and Minori, so I couldn't suggest Toradora so easily. Even Sword Art Online which has a dub and is considered a great gateway anime may alienate those who are perhaps not too familiar with RPGs.
Toradora is getting a dub m8

Sounds terrible though

OH MY GOD IT IS! I THOUGHT YOU WERE TROLLING, BUT IT REALLY IS! THE TEARS WON'T STOP! :')

Honestly, I thought that it would never get dubbed, and that if it did, it would be completely terrible, like The Familiar Of Zero's dub. It's actually not bad :) Granted, they don't have the best possible cast, and even if they did I doubt it'd be anything compared to the original, but at least it's actually decent :) SO MUCH HYPE! :'D
You should have more faith in JD (Or as my friends call me, J-Dizzle)

imo Taiga and Ryuuji have the most generic VAs possible and in contrast to how unique Rie Kugimiya's voice is, Taiga's voice just doesn't sound right

Mar 14, 2014 11:40 AM

Bleach because of aizen.

Mar 14, 2014 11:43 AM

...to rule them all and in the darkness bind them aka FMA:B (or if horny males, High School DxD).

Mar 14, 2014 11:50 AM

I would say that Gintama has enough variety to compass most of the major genres in some way or another so I'll go with that as a good representative. However, it wouldn't work well as a gateway series because it's meant for those who are more experienced in the medium (evident by the fact that it likes to take a shit on tropes and stuff).
While FMA isn't nearly as big in the variety as Gintama, it's probably a more ideal representative because it's a lot more accessible.

Mar 14, 2014 11:54 AM
mayukachan said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Your favorite seem pretty normal even for real-world standards, if you ask me. Why would they run away? Assuming your favorites are the one on your profile.

I mean, something to get a person into anime...I don't think suggesting josei shows would work (Nodame, Utakoi and Chihayafuru plus my other Josei faves), Shinsekai yori is disturbing, Detective conan is see as a kids show and the rest of my faves are sports animes which turn people off apparently. ^^;

Nodame is just a regular romance, there's not much in there to scare away people imo. Chihayafuru is rather specific (I agree, sports is not good for getting people into anime), but most Josei's are on the top of my list regarding shows that 'normal' people would enjoy. They are realistic, have fleshed out characters and focus a lot on their interactions and development. I'm talking about adults btw, not teenagers (in which case I would go with your first recs, death Note & co). I'd say Shinsekai Yori is also a show appealing to all audiences as long as they are interested in mystery and sci-fi in general. No weird anime clichés in there, just a good story and dense atmosphere.

When we're talking about stuff that would make people run away, I'm thinking of harems, ecchis, hentais, mahou shoujo, generic LN rom-coms and maybe your run-of-the-mill battle or card game shounen as well as sports shows, old shoujo (*sparkle*) and trashy 80's OVAs. I think Josei can appeal to everyone, probably even more to non-anime watchers because it seems kinda unpopular within the anime fandom.

Listen, everybody wants change, don't nobody want to change though
don't nobody want to pray, till they got something to pray for
now everybody's gonna die, but don't everybody live though

Mar 14, 2014 11:57 AM

Death Note or Spirited Away.

Mar 14, 2014 12:11 PM

FMA or FMAB
This how a friend of mine got into anime,afterwards i recomended CG to him and he disliked it pretty hard.

Mar 14, 2014 12:13 PM

Cowboy Bebop

Princess Mononoke

Akira

Ghost In The Shell

Spirited Away

Tokyo Godfathers

lmao at one piece, naruto, steins gate and all the other weeaboo suggestions. Those would turn off any person who's never seen anime before.
Dubs>subs.
Breaking Bad>Anime
Comic books>manga
99% of Anime is Garbage

Mar 14, 2014 12:40 PM

MajinSaga said:
Cowboy Bebop
lmao at one piece, naruto, steins gate and all the other weeaboo suggestions. Those would turn off any person who's never seen anime before.
I could see why for any of the big three but steins;gate? Well whatever

k-on

I can see you

Mar 14, 2014 12:45 PM
MasterGlyth said:
k-on

/thread
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 14, 2014 12:49 PM

To represent it to someone who knows nothing about anime? Thats tough.

I guess Ghost in the Shell since its my favorite anime franchise. Either SAC or just the first movie.
Cowboy Bebop, Mononoke Hime and Jin-Roh are also all possible choices.

Mar 14, 2014 12:51 PM

MajinSaga said:
They just don't see the beauty within. One Piece and Naruto I can understand.
This topic has not been locked and is still available for discussion.

Mar 14, 2014 12:51 PM

Black Jack 1993 OVA.

Mar 14, 2014 12:53 PM
MasterGlyth said:
MajinSaga said:
Cowboy Bebop

k-on

Steins;Gate is more otaku pandering than any of the big 3. Don't get me wrong I liked the show, but it can't be denied.

First of all there's basically a harem (non-anime friends of mine caught up on this without even knowing the term harem was a thing for anime) including nekomimi maids and all kinds of other clichéd girl archetypes including a trap. The whole plot more or less revolves around the MC interacting with his inofficial harem members, the difference being that it's in a timetravel setting, but it's still packed with harem/rom-com tropes. Not to mention weird japanese superstitions that are presented as fact like 'eat this and change the sex of your baby'.
It's an entertaining show, but it's also a hardcore otaku-aimed show.

Mar 14, 2014 12:55 PM

One Piece.

Mar 14, 2014 12:55 PM

Well the first non-big three anime I ever watched was Bakemonogatari, and I fucking loved it. You can probably tell what my reasoning is for "that one anime."

Mar 14, 2014 12:57 PM

hard decison between Katanagatari and Code Geass...
(secretly i like Arakawa Under the Bridge a lot too)

Mar 14, 2014 1:44 PM

MajinSaga said:
Cowboy Bebop

Princess Mononoke

Akira

Ghost In The Shell

Spirited Away

Tokyo Godfathers

Def the last two. But GitS is hard to get into even for me. Psycho Pass would be the better choice for a non-anime watcher to start on if they wanted that kind of show. One of my senpai who doesn't watch anime enjoyed it a lot for it's philosophical points. Also, Cowboy Bebop is also hard to get into.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Mar 14, 2014 1:45 PM

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Steins;Gate is more otaku pandering than any of the big 3. Don't get me wrong I liked the show, but it can't be denied.

How so?

Mar 14, 2014 1:47 PM

Dark_Chaos said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

How so?
He explained right below. And I'll add in that there were some references to a popular Japanese message board IIRC.

Mar 14, 2014 1:50 PM

gamer2710 said:
Well the first non-big three anime I ever watched was Bakemonogatari, and I fucking loved it. You can probably tell what my reasoning is for "that one anime."

Bleach?

Mar 14, 2014 2:01 PM

SetsukoHara said:
gamer2710 said:

Bleach?

After watching Bleach, anything will look amazing.

Mar 14, 2014 2:04 PM

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
MasterGlyth said:
MajinSaga said:
Cowboy Bebop

k-on

First of all there's basically a harem (non-anime friends of mine caught up on this without even knowing the term harem was a thing for anime) including nekomimi maids and all kinds of other clichéd girl archetypes including a trap. The whole plot more or less revolves around the MC interacting with his inofficial harem members, the difference being that it's in a timetravel setting, but it's still packed with harem/rom-com tropes. Not to mention weird japanese superstitions that are presented as fact like 'eat this and change the sex of your baby'.

I started anime not too long ago and this was the second anime I watched(after Mirai Nikki, yes yes I know) I wasn't at all turned off by any of it. Maybe that's just me. Though I admit I did not understand a trope or two...god it feels like just yesterday...

I can see you

Mar 14, 2014 2:12 PM
MasterGlyth said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:
MasterGlyth said:
MajinSaga said:
Cowboy Bebop

k-on

I started anime not too long ago and this was the second anime I watched(after Mirai Nikki, yes yes I know) I wasn't at all turned off by any of it. Maybe that's just me. Though I admit I did not understand a trope or two...god it feels like just yesterday...

Well, not everyone is turned off by otaku pandering especially when the show has other stuff to offer (which steins gate has), but it's still there and more of a risk than more neutral shows when trying to get someone into anime, imo.

Mar 14, 2014 2:22 PM

Litrydow said:
SetsukoHara said:
gamer2710 said:

Bleach?

After watching Bleach, anything will look amazing.
Yeah but I already watched Steins;Gate, so now everything looks like crap.

Mar 14, 2014 2:30 PM

IntroverTurtle said:
Dark_Chaos said:
Higashi_no_Kaze said:

How so?
He explained right below. And I'll add in that there were some references to a popular Japanese message board IIRC.

Ahh, now I see. I thought that was something else entirely. My fault for being so impulsive I guess :/

Mar 14, 2014 2:33 PM

Since we're talking about it, what's so good about steins gate? I remember the first 2 eps and the bananas and stuff...

Thing is it seems this is a show where you need to pay a lot of attention because of the time travel and all that, but it's pointless to watch it if I'm too bored to pay attention. It also needs to intrigue me.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 14, 2014 2:35 PM

judals said:
Since we're talking about it, what's so good about steins gate? I remember the first 2 eps and the bananas and stuff...

Thing is it seems this is a show where you need to pay a lot of attention because of the time travel and all that, but it's pointless to watch it if I'm too bored to pay attention. It also needs to intrigue me.

I watched 3 episodes and dropped it too. It was a borefest. I think you need to reach a certain episode before you start enjoying.

Mar 14, 2014 2:41 PM

Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen

But I'm loving Mushishi so far...

Mar 14, 2014 3:03 PM

I am going to score some originality points:Space Brothers/ Uchuu Kyoudai all day,every day,I don't give a fudge.
And Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann as well as Fate/Zero.
My Devianart

Oh & Space Brothers is still the best anime ever,in my opinion.Even when competing with Attack on Titan.

Mar 14, 2014 3:21 PM

Higashi_no_Kaze said:
Legend of the Galactic Heroes

Same here. :P

Mar 14, 2014 3:26 PM

Devilman: The Birth.
Don't bother if you don't know how special effects were done without computers.

Mar 14, 2014 3:35 PM

JeddyVII said:
I am going to score some originality points:Space Brothers/ Uchuu Kyoudai all day,every day,I don't give a fudge.

I love Space Brothers, but I don't think people would be interested in it at first glance... As a gateaway anime, I'm not sure... It's quite long.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Mar 14, 2014 3:55 PM

I wouldn't choose Steins;Gate as a representation to someone because I am 200% positive they won't make it past the first 3 episodes.

I'd probably say Death Note until it gets shitty.

Mar 14, 2014 4:10 PM

Nisemonogtarari, I'd say Monogatari Series Second Season for plot and quality or Bakemonogatari for enjoyment, BUT! Nisemonogatari got shinobu taking a shower with Koyomi.

Mar 14, 2014 4:47 PM

Proust said:
Rurouni Kenshin: Tsuiokuhen

But I'm loving Mushishi so far...

I'm also currently watching Mushishi and loving it.
I feel that you have to suggest something with a much wider appeal though.
Funny enough, popularity is a very good indicator for this sort of thing because it tells the shows enjoyed by the widest number of people. I agree with Ruro Ken in that regard.
"Let Justice Be Done!"

My Theme
I conclude that this theme is in fact good!

Mar 14, 2014 4:50 PM

Umm It would either be Bleach or Shingeki no Kyojin.

Mar 14, 2014 4:50 PM

I'd say Soul Eater or Darker than Black. It's all about atmosphere with new viewers.
HELP KYOANI HEAL

Mar 14, 2014 5:11 PM

Death Note would be a good choice in my opinion.

Mar 14, 2014 5:18 PM

judals said:
This is what makes Steins;Gate the best.

LIES, it's actually this.

Now seriously, maybe this will gety ou to watch it

Mar 14, 2014 5:22 PM

Fate/Zero.

Great action, great animation, great character development, great story, while still keeping elements that could not have worked as a live-action.
My YouTube channel, where I do unboxings and show off my anime collection, merchandise, and other swag:
https://www.youtube.com/user/TCTriangle

Mar 14, 2014 6:16 PM

Trigun. Never have I met someone who didnt find the 1st episode amusing as hell. Though I think Im gonna introduce my cousin to Kara no Kyoukai just because shes into that... area(?) of visual entertainment.

Mar 14, 2014 6:55 PM

Old_Raven said:
Trigun. Never have I met someone who didnt find the 1st episode amusing as hell. Though I think Im gonna introduce my cousin to Kara no Kyoukai just because shes into that... area(?) of visual entertainment.

It does get a bit "muddled up" in the 5th movie but otherwise it's a solid recommendation.
As for Trigun, Vash made the first episode as great as it was. And Wolfwood + Vash= best duo in anime.

Mar 14, 2014 7:00 PM

Old_Raven said:
Trigun. Never have I met someone who didnt find the 1st episode amusing as hell.

I didn't.
Because I haven't watched it.

Mar 14, 2014 7:02 PM

I enjoyed every minute of Steins;Gate including the opening episodes, but I recognize that it's not for everyone at least until you get to the second half of the series where it becomes much more drama-focused and widely appealing to a broader audience.

I would say Fullmetal Alchemist 2003. Death Note is a good anime but it's very atypical of what most anime has to offer so I wouldn't say that it's a good representation of anime overall even though it is nonetheless a great series in its own right. FMA takes the best elements of anime and executes all of it really well from start to finish.
kingcity20 said:
Oh for the love of
-_- nvm gotta love MAL

Mar 14, 2014 7:33 PM

For me id say Fate/Zero, it gets rid of the notion that all anime are for kids and it has some beautiful animation with great fight scenes. Id also recommend some sports series (Major,One Outs, Hajime no ippo) mainly because tournaments and competitions ftw

Mar 14, 2014 7:41 PM

Fullmetal Alchemist Brotherhood. it defines the perfection.
Modified by Lucifer-Rey, Mar 14, 2014 7:49 PM

Pages (3) « 1 [2] 3 »