Forum Settings
Forums
Mar 14, 2014 7:52 PM

FrozenRemains said:

I ask this,what if you had one chance,one choice to represent what anime is to someone?

GTO is my answer.

Mar 14, 2014 8:04 PM

wow, out of all posts, no one has recommended something legendary...like...KIDOU SENSHI GANDAMU!

Mar 14, 2014 9:17 PM

It depends pretty much on the person I'm trying to get into anime. It's actually what I'm doing right now with Death Note with a good friend of mine, since lots of times, in many of the discussions and talks I had with him, I ended up quoting Death Note and eventually I convinced him to try it out and... He's loving it.

Death Note is actually a great anime when used to get people to love anime generally speaking. It is well-structured, it is almost typical-anime-clichè-free, and it's a story which could have been very easily inspired from a western book. Anime like Code Geass, on the other hand, have many elements which "anime newbies" would find harder to watch, such as mecha, or the nonsensical fan-service. About Steins;Gate (my favourite anime), it'd also be great but it's much more character-based rather than plot-based, more than DN and CG, at the very least, therefore I think it wouldn't be the best option as a first anime.

Then obviously, if the guy couldn't care less about deep stuff, masterminds and mindfucks, I'd just pick TTGL or Shingeki and that's it.

If it wasn't a guy, but a girl... Probably stuff like ef, dem feels may get you laid!
I'm a self-taught composer, and here you can find the tracks I've composed so far:
http://www.youtube.com/user/kiusdexra

https://soundcloud.com/marko-poskurica

A single click on each one of them would make me really happy!

If you want to make any comment or critic, do it on my profile or as a comment on youtube / soundcloud!

Mar 14, 2014 9:31 PM

Shingeki no kyojin, death note, fullmetal alchemist.

Mar 14, 2014 9:34 PM

Well these days I would just tell them to watch the light novel adaption of the month.

Mar 14, 2014 9:34 PM

The question isnt whether you can get someone into anime or not,its if you had one anime that you could show to someone and understand the reason you are watching anime,not him starting watch anime,this is why i suggested shingeki,maybe it wont start his otaku way,but it definitely represents what anime is capable of.
Represent what anime is for you.

Im sceptical about sg because it will make you think quite a lot,not in a mysterious way but in a "shit i gotta rewatch this cause it was hard to grasp" way,not meaning its bad,meaning you have to use actual intelligence and not fantasy or imagination.

I could surely see one piece making it though,its pretty solid.
Death note,yes and no,first half yes,second not that much.
Gurren lagann ,yes.
FMA havent watched it,but i get the feeling its about ok for what we are looking for.
Someone suggested rurouni kenshin,to which ill reply yes for sure.

Its funny how most answers tend towards shounen series,maybe shounen is clearly the most fun genre to watch?
Modified by Taimanin_Irelia, Mar 14, 2014 9:42 PM

Mar 14, 2014 9:38 PM

FrozenRemains said:
The question isnt whether you can get someone into anime or not,its if you had one anime that you could show to someone and understand the reason you are watching anime,not him starting watch anime,this is why i suggested shingeki,maybe it wont start his otaku way,but it definitely represents what anime is capable of.

Im sceptical about sg because it will make you think quite a lot,not in a mysterious way but in a "shit i gotta rewatch this cause it was hard to grasp" way,not meaning its bad,meaning you have to use actual intelligence and not fantasy or imagination.

I could surely see one piece making it though,its pretty solid.
Death note,yes and no,first half yes,second not that much.
Gurren lagann ,yes.
FMA havent watched it,but i get the feeling its about ok for what we are looking for.
Someone suggested rourouni kenshin,to which ill reply yes for sure.

Its funny how most answers tend towards shounen series,maybe shounen is clearly the most fun genre to watch?

Oh, the reason I watch anime? I guess Getter Robo: Armageddon.

Mar 14, 2014 9:40 PM

It really depends.

I would personally try using Baccano! or perhaps Full Metal Alchemist Brotherhood.
Steins;Gate as well.

Those 3 are pretty popular but they're great for introducing someone to anime.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 14, 2014 9:42 PM

Natsume Yuujinchou all the way

Mar 14, 2014 10:06 PM

AstronomyDomine said:
That captures what josei anime is capable of, which is quite a damn lot. Also a good choice because of the moments of action, suspense, and mystery it provides. A pretty rare set of aspects to demonstrate for a josei that carries quite a strict and consistent tone. Due to the plot and storytelling style it is capable of offering a lot of things that represent what people love about anime, and it still accomplishes the things it needs to to carry the tone/theme necessary to supplement its genre type.

Mar 14, 2014 10:08 PM
Code Geass or FMA for their inclusion of many themes/genres, or Evangelion because it revolutionized it and influenced basically everything after it, this show never has enough respect

Mar 14, 2014 10:17 PM

AlexTheRiot said:
AstronomyDomine said:
That captures what josei anime is capable of, which is quite a damn lot. Also a good choice because of the moments of action, suspense, and mystery it provides. A pretty rare set of aspects to demonstrate for a josei that carries quite a strict and consistent tone. Due to the plot and storytelling style it is capable of offering a lot of things that represent what people love about anime, and it still accomplishes the things it needs to to carry the tone/theme necessary to supplement its genre type.
Natsume's a shoujo.

Mar 14, 2014 11:01 PM

IntroverTurtle said:
AlexTheRiot said:
AstronomyDomine said:
Natsume's a shoujo.
Yeah but I feel like it offers an atmosphere aimed at a more mature audience, so it's always felt like more of a josei to me.

Mar 14, 2014 11:06 PM

I've done this a few times to people. My choice to girls is always NANA, my choice for boys is usually a Gundam series or Cowboy Bebop.

Mar 14, 2014 11:06 PM

AlexTheRiot said:
IntroverTurtle said:
AlexTheRiot said:
AstronomyDomine said:
Natsume's a shoujo.
Yeah but I feel like it offers an atmosphere aimed at a more mature audience, so it's always felt like more of a josei to me.
Ok, but it's still a shoujo. Maturity doesn't decide a demographic.

Mar 14, 2014 11:23 PM

I know, I'm just saying it fulfills a lot of things with its tone that josei is capable of fulfilling. I dunno I feel like my point wouldn't have been made if I'd used shoujo.

Mar 15, 2014 11:48 AM

k-ON!
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.

Mar 15, 2014 11:50 AM

UnculturedWhitey said:
k-ON!

Thread locked Move along it's over

I can see you

Mar 15, 2014 11:52 AM

Success!
Never forget, that if you post a topic, you're not allowed to post in it yourself, by order of MAL administration.

Mar 15, 2014 11:54 AM

ah
now it's ruined
sakura trick would also be a good one

I can see you

Mar 22, 2014 11:54 AM

kiotsuga- said:
Only one anime wow ,

clannad after story . Because this is the only anime that made ​​me cry .

I'd recommend both seasons, but AS is fine I guess

Mar 22, 2014 12:47 PM

I think Umineko no Naku koro ni....because i like twisted plots.....but i'm not sure that all will understand me....^_^
Only the impossible is impossible...

Mar 22, 2014 12:50 PM
Evangelion, FMA:B or Steins;Gate

Mar 22, 2014 1:14 PM

IamOniiChan said:
kiotsuga- said:
Only one anime wow ,

I don't think Clannad is for everyone tho. My friend (who likes mainstream stuff) couldn't get into the Clannad franchise.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Mar 22, 2014 1:20 PM

I'd go with Shingeki no Kyojin . Why ? Because all my friends like to see some big naked creatured destroying everything and people screaming . That would be the best start for someone to get into Anime I think .

Mar 22, 2014 2:36 PM

I'd go with Princess Mononoke. The reasons are the following:
1) It was the movie that got me into anime.
2) Many many years later, I still think it's the best anime movie ever made.
3) It shows how deep anime can really cut.

Mar 22, 2014 2:54 PM

It would not even remotely be representative of anime in general, but of course my choice would be:

Berserk
Berserk
Berserk

it has moved me in so many ways, i can't help it

Mar 22, 2014 3:06 PM

I can only consider this question in terms of what anime is for me, and this may not reflect what it is for others. It can be a good source of creative stories, comedy, and drama, but for me, first and foremost, anime is weird. I'm currently watching a series that I believe encompasses this important characteristic well but might be at least somewhat accessible to those who aren't fully accustomed to weirdness. Provided that it doesn't jump the shark before I finish the series, I would probably choose Nichijou. It has everything that I like in a weird anime - fun characters, variety, randomness, creativity, warped ideas of logic and humor, and an overwhelming sense of unpredictability.

(And, of course, there is always Inferno Cop. Seeing that would forever corrupt a new viewer's idea of anime.)
It is pitch black. You are likely to be eaten by a grue.

Mar 22, 2014 3:08 PM
mayukachan said:
IamOniiChan said:
kiotsuga- said:
Only one anime wow ,

I don't think Clannad is for everyone tho. My friend (who likes mainstream stuff) couldn't get into the Clannad franchise.

Yeah... no wonder your friend couldn't get into Clannad.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.

Mar 22, 2014 3:25 PM

Hulmy said:
Yeah... no wonder your friend couldn't get into Clannad.

Uh Clannad is pretty mainstream tho. I mean my friend likes popular shows usually.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Mar 22, 2014 3:32 PM

Nichijou, that's it, that's anime.

Mar 22, 2014 4:03 PM

Dragon Ball/Z, if I can't show both then Z.

Mar 22, 2014 4:23 PM

I'd go with Cowboy Bebop/Death Note.

Both are easy to get into, and overall excellent anime

Mar 22, 2014 4:26 PM

Idolm@ster or Yosuga no Sora.

Mar 22, 2014 4:57 PM
To LOVE-Ru Darkness, when an ecchi scene came, a pantsu shot or so, then i would say loud here, this is why i love anime, this is what it is!

The ecchi, the harem, the cute girls this is what it's all about <3

Mar 22, 2014 5:03 PM

I wouldn't recommend Steins;Gate as one anime, the slow pace isn't for everyone.

I believe that animes like InuYasha or SAO have better settings for someone that is starting.

Mar 22, 2014 5:11 PM
I would recomment Clannad..or maybe Anohana.

Mar 22, 2014 5:13 PM

I find either Fullmetal Alchemist series to be very accessible to most people, fans or otherwise.

Mar 22, 2014 5:35 PM

Shinsekai yori. Something serious is always a better choice if you're not sure about what exactly the person would like.
If you generalize, you're wrong.

Mar 22, 2014 6:56 PM

ShiroNeko89 said:
Steins;Gate

Mar 22, 2014 8:18 PM

sedmelluq said:
Shinsekai yori. Something serious is always a better choice if you're not sure about what exactly the person would like.

I love SSY but is suggesting it to someone who has no anime experience a really good idea? I mean... episode 8. LOL

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

watch nodame cantabile

recommend me anything!

Mar 22, 2014 8:24 PM

Monster

mangum opus of anime

Mar 23, 2014 11:10 AM

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood.

Mar 23, 2014 11:19 AM

RandomChampion said:
Monster

mangum opus of anime

Nope.

Mar 23, 2014 12:18 PM

Baccano! comedy can be understood on any language or live action/anime, cool setting pretty fun.

Mar 23, 2014 1:00 PM

Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood, definitely. It has just about the right amount of action, drama and comedy plus it's got a good story. My cousin, who straight up says he hates anime, watched the entire thing with me and actually said he thought it was pretty damn good.

Mar 23, 2014 1:07 PM

Strike Witches

If they can't take that much, then it's only good I don't have to hear their bullshit about random insignificant things in other anime.

Pages (3) « 1 2 [3]