Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
Poll: Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 22 Discussion

Jan 11, 2015 2:33 PM

Interesting yet confusing episode. I couldn't take the scene seriously with the Chu-Chu balloon. XD

Feb 17, 2015 1:47 PM

This episode pretty much confirmed that people don't age in Ohtori Academy. What the hell kind of place is it, lol

We also learn that Mikage is Nemero and that he was being manipulated to participate in some sort of research project; Akio might be the mastermind behind everything; and Mamiya either faked his death or is not alive at all. Plus a bunch of other things that I probably missed.

Those blinking pointing hands were... interesting. Judging by some of the things they were obnoxiously pointing at, like the cats increasing in number and the butterfly on the wall (metamorphosis), they could be metaphors for the concept of time and how messed up it is in Ohtori Academy. I'm not sure why the lipstick on the cup or the two guys holding hands were pointed out though.

Apr 1, 2015 9:21 PM

ok sooo this anime is is jsut different I'm going to leave it at that
[/quote]

Sep 22, 2015 7:49 PM

The pointing hand was very distracting.

4/5

Feb 16, 2016 3:31 PM

I didn't really get the pointing hands tbh.

Aug 1, 2016 4:40 PM

The butterfly and the leaf the hand was pointing to can be seen in the elevator on the present time. I just don't know what they mean.

And much less what was so important about the guys holding hands and the lipstick on the cup.

Mar 9, 2017 9:26 AM

i just feel like i'm being f*cked with
i love whoever reads this.
see you, space cowperson . . .

May 26, 2017 11:27 PM

No one gets the lipstick on the cup? xD It was first shown after the lady drank from it and it reappears again in his office. ;) I guess he took it and kept it? It shows his love for her.

Not sure about the two guys holding hands...hmm.
Modified by MistyBlue, May 27, 2017 12:18 AM

Jun 3, 2017 10:42 PM

So the people at the school literally aren't aging, or at least not those connected to the Power of Dios.

Good backstory episode..

Aug 12, 2017 2:51 PM

Slower episode...but that reveal at the end was freaky. People don't age at this school? :o

I have no idea what the hell the blinking hands were about.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"

Aug 14, 2017 6:52 PM
What's with all the finger cursors?

So did Mamiya die during the fire or did he only "die" for his sister when he set the fire that killed a hundred people.

So those contracted (or everyone) don't age in the academy and it looks like Akio has been pulling peoples strings for quite a while now. No idea for what reason though.

Mar 1, 2018 10:36 AM

I think he didn't die, he died for his sister. I mean we have seen him talking to Nemura before right?

So Akio it's The End of the World? I think we are somehow getting closer to some primal form of truth but i still can't find 'that' thing that makes this series apparently incredible. Don't get me wrong it has been quite interesting but i was expecting for some type of breaking revolutionary message or smth.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Mar 12, 2018 4:11 AM

B A C K S T O R Y A N D E X P O S I T I O N

Also, that girl thinks Mamiya is dead... There's something fishy going on but I can't put my hand on it... And the whole thing with the rings and some kind of contract, really suspicious.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki

Sep 30, 2018 12:01 AM

I died at the train crossing in the background of the student council. It's the most absurd backdrop yet.

I'm not even sure how to describe what's going on visually in this show; chu-chu inflating into a balloon (magical realism?), the train crossing (surreal?), the shadow girl(s?) that now Utena and others are aware of, and interact with (meta?); same thing with the pointing hand.

Jan 14, 10:15 AM

Whoa, that was both intriguing, and legitimately creepy, easily the best episode in a while!

Jan 24, 8:28 AM
So after forcing myself to watch this anime for like 21eps, finally this episode caught my interest. Gad that really took me long isnt it ._.
Uhh just hoping the next episodes turned out well..

May 21, 4:22 AM

That was a very interesting episode. The pointing hands we see here and there show the broken concept of time:
- The cats reproduce in a matter os seconds
- The sand clock doesn't measure time correctly, causing Tokiko to make tea which is too strong
- The sand clock is shown in 2 cuts, the first one being upside down - it's then revealed that we see a reflection. It probably means that the time somehow flows backward as well as forward, resulting in it not moving at all. I also noticed that the sand clock which is turned upside down resembles the castle in the air at the arena. I wonder if that means anything or if I'm overanalyzing it.
- "The snow won't disappear soon, right, professor?", "The snow in the greenhouse never melts, right?" - it clearly indicates that time inside the academy (or inside the greenhouse, which seems to be very symbolic and resembles a bird cage) does not work the way we believe it normally should.

There're also lots of very interesting details about the characters. Mikage (a.k.a professor Nemuro) is wearing black gloves and glasses, which underline his robotic nature and disconnection from the world. It's especially true for the glasses, because they serve as a barrier between the world and the person's eyes, which are believed to represent the soul. Nemuro is a closed person.

We get more commentary on the concept of eternity, which is crucial for the show. Tomiko is trying to dry the roses in a desperate attempt to preserve them for a longer period of time, which shows how much she desires eternity (likely because her brother seems to be gravely ill). But why is her brother black? He doesn't look like his sister at all. It's a very interesting detail, which might be relevant later. As of now, Mamiya is a lot like Himemiya, there are a lot of parallels between these two characters, including their appearance (are they connected?) and the scenes in the greenhouse among the roses.

I love how Utena tells Anthy that she doesn't have to follow the orders. It's obvious how Utena is trying to "break the contract", while Anthy is bounded by it.

Overall, I absolutely loved this episode. Lots of exciting details, past events, touching scenes and stunning music which sends shivers down my spine. This episode even made me like Mikage a lot. I think he'll turn out to be a tragic character (if he isn't already).
Modified by St0rmblade, Jul 10, 11:49 PM

Jul 13, 6:31 AM

About hand-pointing. That's a rather odd visual detail. Maybe it was done to show Mikage's robotic way of analyzing things?