Forum SettingsEpisode Information
Forums
New
What did you think of this episode?
DO NOT discuss the source material beyond this episode. If you want to discuss future events or theories, please use separate threads.
DO NOT ask where to watch/download this episode or give links to copyrighted, non-fair use material.
DO NOT troll/bait/harass/abuse other users for liking or disliking the series/characters.
DO read the Anime Discussion Rules and Site & Forum Guidelines.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »
Aug 29, 2009 3:57 PM

Aug 2008
THIS IS AN ANIME ONLY DISCUSSION POST. DO NOT DISCUSS THE MANGA BEYOND THIS EPISODE.
----------------------------------------
I just had a thought during this episode. How awesome would it be if the series ended by Anthy fighting Utena to get power over herself? I guess I'll have to wait and see what happens.

When I first watched this series, I really liked Mikage. I do not understand why.

The little hand pointed at two guys holding hands. I'm glad.

I can't believe he made out with her. Bascially he uses heartbreak to control people.

That quote was awesome at the end. "For a plant to bear fruit, it's flowers have to die."
Nov 13, 2010 6:29 AM

Aug 2009
Oooh, Akio, you manwhore

I liked the hand pointing to the guys holding hands <3
頭脳は子供、見た目は大人! ƪ(˘⌣˘)ʃ
Apr 8, 2011 9:10 PM
Jul 2010
Traffic joke at the beginning was funny. It's pretty common for multiple people speaking at once to all be passionate, to the extent that each ignores the other and their voices create an impenetrable wall of sound.

Genius boy (can't remember his name) has an interesting portrayal. Intelligent people are prone to fixate on oddly specific things/ideas, and while he certainly did that with work, the blinking hand icon was a good touch.

The little brother in the flashback seems to be the Prince. Up until now I considered the present Prince Canidate and Akio to be separate individuals, but now it seems the little brother is dead. In addition, Akio is confirmed to be the source of conspiracy, perhaps even the End of the World given how the Student Council refers to it. I recall Touga confusing Utena greatly by just mentioning his parallels to the Prince. If Akio has even the us questioning who he might be, there's no telling how badly he'll be able to manipulate her.
Jul 7, 2011 8:43 PM

Jun 2009
Just when I thought the series was slipping this episode comes around. Akio is an interesting character and he may in fact be the End of the World..but I'm still curious about his talks with the prince and so on. There has just been clues here and there but I can't say for sure what could be going on.

What WAS very interesting was seeing the aged woman from the past and her conversation with Akio. It seems people really don't age when the are at the academy.
"Yes, I have been deprived of emotion. But not completely. Whoever did it, botched the job."

- Geralt of Rivia
Jul 30, 2011 7:52 AM

Apr 2009
interesting...
Sep 14, 2011 5:43 AM
The Shrike

Nov 2009
Ok. I'm a bit more confused than before. So Akio is the one manipulating everyone. And why did the young Himemiya burn down the academy?
"Perhaps there is a universal, absolute truth. Perhaps it justifies every question. But that's beyond the reach of these small hands." Mamoru Oshii

There is a cult of ignorance (...) nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that “my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.” Isaac Asimov

Nov 1, 2011 5:01 PM

Nov 2007
This was very welcome after the past few episodes. Just fascinating to get a look into the past like that. The hand-pointing got a little annoying after a while though (the two holding hands, haha)

I quite like Mikage so far, but who knows.
And yup, Akio's as scheming as ever.

Znips: When Shay is born she just crawls back in the womb to shitpost for another year
Jan 1, 2012 11:01 PM

Jul 2011
I think Akio has already manipulated Utena, it seems he may be Utena's "prince" (anyone who wears the ring makes a contract with him). I wonder why Mikage all the sudden wanted eternity after seeing Akio making out with that woman (forgot her name), I have a few ideas as to why, but nothing really concrete. A ton of symbolism in this episode and I will probably come back to this episode after finishing the series to give it a second look.
Jan 7, 2012 8:02 PM

Aug 2008
So, why does the little brother look nothing like his sister? Why does he have a red dot on his forehead - is that going to be a distinguishing mark for all of the non-white people in this show?

And it's funny how the little brother didn't mind dying - how he even to Mikage and his sister that he appreciates what they're doing but that they're wasting their times - and yet suddenly he decides to set fire to the building to find eternity. It seems out of character from what we saw earlier.

Except... the little brother is dead? His aged sister went to visit the grave?

Hmm...
May 31, 2012 7:50 PM

Dec 2009
This episode started out great, but then I got very confused lol nevertheless it was an interesting episode.
Aug 29, 2012 10:30 PM

May 2010
Marzan said:
Ok. I'm a bit more confused than before. So Akio is the one manipulating everyone. And why did the young Himemiya burn down the academy?

Oh yeah I just noticed the dot on the kid. I thought the little brother burned it down.

Wait didn't this happen 100 years ago...?
Even when I was in crowd, I was always alone
Sep 6, 2012 5:47 PM

Apr 2012
Well, that was a different and interesting episode; however, even as information is being revealed about what is going on at the academy things still remain as mysterious as ever. For example, it seems quite likely that Akio is the End of the World but that really doesn't clear much up in terms of his motivations.

Also, was there any clear indication on how much time had passed since the fire?
Jan 27, 2013 3:13 PM

Mar 2012
Can't believe I forgot about this series for so long! It's nice to get back to it, even if this episode was a little confusing.
Feb 7, 2013 10:03 AM

Oct 2011
A welcomed change of pace. Glad that episode happened. A little confusing, but I have a couple of theories in what's going on. Hopefully they continue with this course of plot and don't get side-tracked with another flushing out of a side character to fight Utena.
Mar 4, 2013 11:11 AM

Aug 2007
Great episode!
I started to watch this series starting with the first 10 episodes in the first couple days. The last 5 or so, I noticed I was getting distracted with other things and didn't have as much drive to watch it. Hopefully this is a good pick-me-up that throws it into the next arc, which I heard was much better.

I think what I found the most interesting was the dialog at the end concerning the school being a kind of structure that keeps eternity a reality... or of the school's reality, anyway. I know it was mentioned before, but this is obviously an important theme.

Apr 25, 2013 8:59 AM

May 2010
EOTW said:
I think Akio has already manipulated Utena, it seems he may be Utena's "prince" (anyone who wears the ring makes a contract with him).

Mind blown.

I guessed pretty early on Akio was bad news ever since it first showed him next to the figure of Utena's prince a number of episodes back.

But wow. Didn't even consider that Utena may have somehow gotten into a contract. What about the student council then?

In general this has been by far my favourite episode. I really like Mikage's character. Hope he doesn't get written off next episode (he probably will).

The show is finally starting to give me Mawaru Penguindrum vibes as things get more complicated
Jun 30, 2013 6:59 AM
Dec 2012
I really didn't get half of the symbolism the blinking hand was pointing at. What was the framed leaf supposed to represent, same goes for the cat's and the stained teacups.
Sep 19, 2013 3:00 PM

Aug 2012
How did they stay young? And I'm guessing 20-30 years since the fire incident.
Nov 18, 2013 8:22 AM

Mar 2008
IloveDubs said:
I really didn't get half of the symbolism the blinking hand was pointing at. What was the framed leaf supposed to represent, same goes for the cat's and the stained teacups.

don't worry, me neither. I'm not even sure if there was really any DEEP meaning behind it. guess not..

finally a better episode!
but I have a feeling I've seen this before... now I'm confused myself.
Either way, interesting that noone seems to age at the academy (?)
Jan 15, 2014 9:43 PM

Jan 2013
Holy shit finally something DIFFERENT happened. I had this series on-hold for so long because the previous 8 or so episode was the same damn thing recycled..

This episode stopped me from dropping the series.
Signature removed. Please follow the signature rules, as defined in the Site & Forum Guidelines.
Jan 11, 2015 2:33 PM

Jul 2014
Interesting yet confusing episode. I couldn't take the scene seriously with the Chu-Chu balloon. XD
Feb 17, 2015 1:47 PM

Nov 2013
This episode pretty much confirmed that people don't age in Ohtori Academy. What the hell kind of place is it, lol

We also learn that Mikage is Nemero and that he was being manipulated to participate in some sort of research project; Akio might be the mastermind behind everything; and Mamiya either faked his death or is not alive at all. Plus a bunch of other things that I probably missed.

Those blinking pointing hands were... interesting. Judging by some of the things they were obnoxiously pointing at, like the cats increasing in number and the butterfly on the wall (metamorphosis), they could be metaphors for the concept of time and how messed up it is in Ohtori Academy. I'm not sure why the lipstick on the cup or the two guys holding hands were pointed out though.
Apr 1, 2015 9:21 PM

Oct 2013
ok sooo this anime is is jsut different I'm going to leave it at that
[/quote]
Sep 22, 2015 7:49 PM

Jul 2014
The pointing hand was very distracting.

4/5
Feb 16, 2016 3:31 PM

Aug 2014
I didn't really get the pointing hands tbh.
Aug 1, 2016 4:40 PM

Sep 2012
The butterfly and the leaf the hand was pointing to can be seen in the elevator on the present time. I just don't know what they mean.

And much less what was so important about the guys holding hands and the lipstick on the cup.
Mar 9, 2017 9:26 AM

Jun 2007
i just feel like i'm being f*cked with
see you, space cowperson . . .
May 26, 2017 11:27 PM
Ceasefire NOW

Aug 2009
No one gets the lipstick on the cup? xD It was first shown after the lady drank from it and it reappears again in his office. ;) I guess he took it and kept it? It shows his love for her.

Not sure about the two guys holding hands...hmm.
MistyBlueMay 27, 2017 12:18 AM
Jun 3, 2017 10:42 PM

Nov 2011
So the people at the school literally aren't aging, or at least not those connected to the Power of Dios.

Good backstory episode..
Aug 12, 2017 2:51 PM

Apr 2015
Slower episode...but that reveal at the end was freaky. People don't age at this school? :o

I have no idea what the hell the blinking hands were about.
"No, son, you may not have your body pillow at the dinner table!"
Aug 14, 2017 6:52 PM
Aug 2014
What's with all the finger cursors?

So did Mamiya die during the fire or did he only "die" for his sister when he set the fire that killed a hundred people.

So those contracted (or everyone) don't age in the academy and it looks like Akio has been pulling peoples strings for quite a while now. No idea for what reason though.
Mar 1, 2018 10:36 AM

Jan 2017
I think he didn't die, he died for his sister. I mean we have seen him talking to Nemura before right?

So Akio it's The End of the World? I think we are somehow getting closer to some primal form of truth but i still can't find 'that' thing that makes this series apparently incredible. Don't get me wrong it has been quite interesting but i was expecting for some type of breaking revolutionary message or smth.
SEIZON SENRYAKU: Hungry 100% of the time.
Vzla-IT

Mar 12, 2018 4:11 AM

Jul 2016
B A C K S T O R Y A N D E X P O S I T I O N

Also, that girl thinks Mamiya is dead... There's something fishy going on but I can't put my hand on it... And the whole thing with the rings and some kind of contract, really suspicious.
Around the gif~
"It's a big mistake to think you're the only one who can turn into a car"
- Shiori Takatsuki
Sep 30, 2018 12:01 AM

Aug 2015
I died at the train crossing in the background of the student council. It's the most absurd backdrop yet.

I'm not even sure how to describe what's going on visually in this show; chu-chu inflating into a balloon (magical realism?), the train crossing (surreal?), the shadow girl(s?) that now Utena and others are aware of, and interact with (meta?); same thing with the pointing hand.

Jan 14, 2019 10:15 AM

May 2010
Whoa, that was both intriguing, and legitimately creepy, easily the best episode in a while!
Jan 24, 2019 8:28 AM
Dec 2017
So after forcing myself to watch this anime for like 21eps, finally this episode caught my interest. Gad that really took me long isnt it ._.
Uhh just hoping the next episodes turned out well..
May 21, 2019 4:22 AM

Aug 2017
That was a very interesting episode. The pointing hands we see here and there show the broken concept of time:
- The cats reproduce in a matter of seconds
- The sand clock doesn't measure time correctly, causing Tokiko to make tea which is too strong
- The sand clock is shown in 2 cuts, the first one being upside down - it's then revealed that we see a reflection. It probably means that the time somehow flows backward as well as forward, resulting in it not moving at all. I also noticed that the sand clock which is turned upside down resembles the castle in the air at the arena. I wonder if that means anything or if I'm overanalyzing it.
- "The snow won't disappear soon, right, professor?", "The snow in the greenhouse never melts, right?" - it clearly indicates that time inside the academy (or inside the greenhouse, which seems to be very symbolic and resembles a bird cage) does not work the way we believe it normally should.

There're also lots of very interesting details about the characters. Mikage (a.k.a professor Nemuro) is wearing black gloves and glasses, which underline his robotic nature and disconnection from the world. It's especially true for the glasses, because they serve as a barrier between the world and the person's eyes, which are believed to represent the soul. Nemuro is a closed person.

We get more commentary on the concept of eternity, which is crucial for the show. Tomiko is trying to dry the roses in a desperate attempt to preserve them for a longer period of time, which shows how much she desires eternity (likely because her brother seems to be gravely ill). But why is her brother black? He doesn't look like his sister at all. It's a very interesting detail, which might be relevant later. As of now, Mamiya is a lot like Himemiya, there are a lot of parallels between these two characters, including their appearance (are they connected?) and the scenes in the greenhouse among the roses.

I love how Utena tells Anthy that she doesn't have to follow the orders. It's obvious how Utena is trying to "break the contract", while Anthy is bounded by it.

Overall, I absolutely loved this episode. Lots of exciting details, past events, touching scenes and stunning music which sends shivers down my spine. This episode even made me like Mikage a lot. I think he'll turn out to be a tragic character (if he isn't already).

----------------

@Anzes @HappyMN
UPD: Another interesting detail about pointing fingers:
https://twitter.com/faunagrotesque/status/1113218052013920256
Looks like an homage to Shuji Terayama, whom Ikuhara likes a lot and is inspired by (he talked about him in various interviews).
St0rmbladeApr 6, 2020 9:20 AM
Jul 13, 2019 6:31 AM

Mar 2016
About hand-pointing. That's a rather odd visual detail. Maybe it was done to show Mikage's robotic way of analyzing things?
Feb 21, 2020 8:49 AM

Feb 2016
St0rmblade said:
That was a very interesting episode. The pointing hands we see here and there show the broken concept of time:
- The cats reproduce in a matter os seconds
- The sand clock doesn't measure time correctly, causing Tokiko to make tea which is too strong
- The sand clock is shown in 2 cuts, the first one being upside down - it's then revealed that we see a reflection. It probably means that the time somehow flows backward as well as forward, resulting in it not moving at all. I also noticed that the sand clock which is turned upside down resembles the castle in the air at the arena. I wonder if that means anything or if I'm overanalyzing it.
- "The snow won't disappear soon, right, professor?", "The snow in the greenhouse never melts, right?" - it clearly indicates that time inside the academy (or inside the greenhouse, which seems to be very symbolic and resembles a bird cage) does not work the way we believe it normally should.

There're also lots of very interesting details about the characters. Mikage (a.k.a professor Nemuro) is wearing black gloves and glasses, which underline his robotic nature and disconnection from the world. It's especially true for the glasses, because they serve as a barrier between the world and the person's eyes, which are believed to represent the soul. Nemuro is a closed person.

We get more commentary on the concept of eternity, which is crucial for the show. Tomiko is trying to dry the roses in a desperate attempt to preserve them for a longer period of time, which shows how much she desires eternity (likely because her brother seems to be gravely ill). But why is her brother black? He doesn't look like his sister at all. It's a very interesting detail, which might be relevant later. As of now, Mamiya is a lot like Himemiya, there are a lot of parallels between these two characters, including their appearance (are they connected?) and the scenes in the greenhouse among the roses.

I love how Utena tells Anthy that she doesn't have to follow the orders. It's obvious how Utena is trying to "break the contract", while Anthy is bounded by it.

Overall, I absolutely loved this episode. Lots of exciting details, past events, touching scenes and stunning music which sends shivers down my spine. This episode even made me like Mikage a lot. I think he'll turn out to be a tragic character (if he isn't already).

Came for that comment, thanks !
Aug 15, 2020 7:32 PM

Jul 2009
Great episode!

Seems we finally get a glimpse on why we are having duels in the first place.

What does bringing Revolution to the World truly mean?

It just shows that Souji is just doing this for his personal gain, maybe there's a reason why he is forcing all these duels against Utena.

It seems Souji stayed in the Ohtori Academy for so long. He might have stopped aging, but he would probably passed away if he decides to leave the academy.

Lol, I thought my player glitch when it keeps showing those hands with bipping sounds. I guess they want us to focus on these details and form our own takes.
Aug 23, 2020 6:42 PM

May 2018
the first episode that has really confused me to the point where im going have to rewatch it to make sure i understand everything...

so, people at this school, or at least the people wearing rings, dont age so long as they dont leave the school grounds AND in order to get a rose crest ring you must get a contract with akio? so akio is the mastermind manipulating everything behind the scenes with these duels? so what does this have to do with bringing revolution to the world?
i also dont understand... is mamiya actually dead or pretending to be? because we've seen him around being... well not dead lol?

aslo i have NO fucking clue what those pointing hands are meant to symbolize
Dec 22, 2020 4:14 AM

Aug 2018
A really confusing episodes, so I am guessing the flow of time is broken as long as people are in the academy. Because people don't age when hey are in the academy but Tokiko over brewed his tea so I am guessing the sand timer is to fast.
_______I like rocks__
Jan 22, 2021 11:41 AM
Nov 2010
I just realized re-reading these comments that the "pointing hands" reference may have gotten a little more obscure since then...

Mikage is referred to as "a computer-like man" early in the episode. At the time of this episode's production, computers and GUIs (graphical user interfaces) were still pretty new for a lot of people... Windows 95 was only a year old, and while Macs were popular in the imagination, they were still pretty expensive machines to have. So the concept of a "mouse pointer" and hand pointing at things in the interface (as a web browser might) while an electronic beeping noise plays jumped out a bit more to people back then.

But yes, the hands and the beeping are references to things Mikage, as a "human computer," is noticing, becoming aware of, and paying attention to. They are a reference to the same hand you're of course seeing throughout the Black Rose Saga.
Apr 23, 2021 12:11 AM

Jul 2016
First good episode in quite a while.

So, to keep it short: people don't age unless they leave the academy area; Mamiya is supposedly dead and it was also revealed that Souji is older than he looks and has been manipulated by Akio to make a "contract" with him in order to truly seek the Power of Dios/Eternity alongside him. Of course, with them having quite different goals for said power.
Apr 23, 2021 5:24 AM

Oct 2015
Etceteral said:
I just realized re-reading these comments that the "pointing hands" reference may have gotten a little more obscure since then...

Mikage is referred to as "a computer-like man" early in the episode. At the time of this episode's production, computers and GUIs (graphical user interfaces) were still pretty new for a lot of people... Windows 95 was only a year old, and while Macs were popular in the imagination, they were still pretty expensive machines to have. So the concept of a "mouse pointer" and hand pointing at things in the interface (as a web browser might) while an electronic beeping noise plays jumped out a bit more to people back then.

But yes, the hands and the beeping are references to things Mikage, as a "human computer," is noticing, becoming aware of, and paying attention to. They are a reference to the same hand you're of course seeing throughout the Black Rose Saga.
omg that makes so much sense! I cant believe I spent so much time overthinking that ahahah thanks so much
Sep 23, 2021 6:44 PM
Jul 2018
So....... The time in Ohtori Academy seems to run very slowly than normal, where some prior students tried to succeed in a research to obtain the eternity, 'to revolutionize the world', but a "garden" (as Akio suggests) where things funnily perish, totally subject to an apparently unchanged time, not only physically... Strange, that might say something in some level. I think things are going more directly to some point from now on here...
Sep 23, 2021 6:48 PM
Jul 2018
Etceteral said:

Hmmmmm..! Very good! Thanks!
Aug 29, 2022 2:28 PM
Sep 2021
Esse episódio foi o preparatório para o próximo, que esse sim vai ser bom
Jul 18, 2023 9:39 AM
Feb 2023
okay so after watching this episode three times and reading the comments.... i think i have an idea of what going on!!! excited to pick this series back up after keeping it on hold for a few months, im hoping tjings actually get interesting now because i really want to finish this one

anyways, the theory from the comments i like the most is the one about the pointing hand being related to mikage's computer-likeness, like it's him analyzing the clues around him (the passage of time, the lipstick stain and his intrigue towards the sister and also the most important bit: GAY PEOPLE)
Nov 23, 2023 3:06 AM

Apr 2017
Reply to Tien
This episode pretty much confirmed that people don't age in Ohtori Academy. What the hell kind of place is it, lol

We also learn that Mikage is Nemero and that he was being manipulated to participate in some sort of research project; Akio might be the mastermind behind everything; and Mamiya either faked his death or is not alive at all. Plus a bunch of other things that I probably missed.

Those blinking pointing hands were... interesting. Judging by some of the things they were obnoxiously pointing at, like the cats increasing in number and the butterfly on the wall (metamorphosis), they could be metaphors for the concept of time and how messed up it is in Ohtori Academy. I'm not sure why the lipstick on the cup or the two guys holding hands were pointed out though.
@Tien It could be tbh. It first pointed to the cat. Then another cat was next to it, which likely means it got a mate. Then it pointed to a third cat that was younger, which likely means they had a kid. That's at least a few years that have passed, but the characters remain in the same conversation. It's like time moves differently at the academy.
Pages (2) [1] 2 »

More topics from this board

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 24 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

53 by LLG »»
Apr 17, 1:18 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 15 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 25, 2009

59 by Barrou2a »»
Mar 30, 2:09 PM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 34 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - May 2, 2009

63 by zaverix »»
Mar 21, 10:36 AM

Poll: » Revolutionary Girl Utena Episode 10 Discussion ( 1 2 )

Alicia3000 - Apr 8, 2009

77 by Superkitty21 »»
Mar 19, 9:15 PM

» Looking for a good explanation video

LoveYourEyes - Mar 19

3 by 1coolgirl2b »»
Mar 19, 9:13 PM
It’s time to ditch the text file.
Keep track of your anime easily by creating your own list.